Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

11 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

So that would say Calgary never put a claim in.. we would have had a higher priority 

Would we have? We already put a claim in on another not long ago…I was kinda under the impression that if you put a claim in you go to the bottom of the priority list 

• Like 1

Claiming Phillips never really made a much sense IMO. Not sure where he would fit in our current lineup. You could argue swapping him for Duehr on the 4th line, but I don’t think that does a whole lot for the team.

Not sure why we want to claim Phillips.  He has not shown he is an NHL regular hence the waivers from Washington.  5 points in 27 games? I guess from playing 4th line minutes.  He is not getting into the top 9 here so it would be a pass from me.

Still I wish the small feller every sucess.  Would be a neat story for him to blossom into a NHL regular.

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

Not an expert on waiver priority, but at the time of waivers yesterday Pitt had 2 fewer points but had 3 fewer games played.  I had always thought it was standings based, but is it a % based on games played?  Either way I was hoping they wouldn't claim unless they tried waiving again to send to the Wranglers.

It's based on actual overall standings I believe ...but even if they did he has to stay on the roster or he gets returned to Washington 

I like the idea of Hanifin to to Vegas.

Last year they dealt Zach Dean, a former 1st round pick for Barbashev. I wonder if the Flames could land David Edstrom. He's a big centre. Probably doesn't profile as a top line C, but should be a solid pro.

I'd also try to get Kaedan Korczak. He's 23 and a RHD. Whitecloud and Pietrangelo are ahead of him on the depth chart for the forseeable future. He's also probably an odd-man out for VGK in the postseason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I like the idea of Hanifin to to Vegas.

Last year they dealt Zach Dean, a former 1st round pick for Barbashev. I wonder if the Flames could land David Edstrom. He's a big centre. Probably doesn't profile as a top line C, but should be a solid pro.

I'd also try to get Kaedan Korczak. He's 23 and a RHD. Whitecloud and Pietrangelo are ahead of him on the depth chart for the forseeable future. He's also probably an odd-man out for VGK in the postseason.

The only thing that cause me pause about Edstrom is the transfer issue with the Swedish league.  Does he not have to play for a certain length of time there?  Not sure.  The number seem good for the SHL at that age.  Maybe really good.

Vegas D castaways are better than some guys we wasted contracts on.  I have no interest in seeing Oesterle play again here.  I only like Gilbert because he's the last fighter we have.  We could do worse by trading with Vegas.  If we traded Tanev elsewhere, we would need a RD and a LD.  

29 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The only thing that cause me pause about Edstrom is the transfer issue with the Swedish league.  Does he not have to play for a certain length of time there?  Not sure.  The number seem good for the SHL at that age.  Maybe really good.

Vegas D castaways are better than some guys we wasted contracts on.  I have no interest in seeing Oesterle play again here.  I only like Gilbert because he's the last fighter we have.  We could do worse by trading with Vegas.  If we traded Tanev elsewhere, we would need a RD and a LD.  

Edstrom has already signed his ELC. I believe that he could come to NA as soon as next season. Looks like Vegas has him on loan to the SHL.

I like Korczak, maybe not the highest ceiling, but I think he is better than Pachal.

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Edstrom has already signed his ELC. I believe that he could come to NA as soon as next season. Looks like Vegas has him on loan to the SHL.

I like Korczak, maybe not the highest ceiling, but I think he is better than Pachal.

Korky seems to be a solid player, while Pachal was a freebie they let go for nothing.

I don't want to become Vegas, but they are one of the hardest hitting bunch of D.

They can get away with Marshmallow and some smaller players on F.

I find we have gotten a little soft.

Hanifin is not tough.

Ras is only as big as he is, and loses battles against big players.

Weegar is one of the few guys that plays bigger than his size.

Kylington is tougher than Hanifin but isn't super aggressive.

Tanev is like a good natured Gio.

We need to be a little meaner.

I think we absolutelyt need to be target C's from our D trades.

Or through a G trade.

We still have Kuz and Solo, in case we want to give solid D a chance.

Not adjusted to the NHL game, but they are at least solid hitters.

If we were to offer up Marky, Hanifin, Tanev, even Mangiapane it would help a lot.

Maybe then we then have 4 NHL lines and 3 pairs.  

And a semi-replacement goalie.

Maybe then we don't have to use Sharky as a C and lose his scoring.

Maybe then the 3rd line can get back to scoring.

Maybe then we aren't serving up pizza to the other team in our zone.

7 minutes ago, cross16 said:

This hasn’t been picked up nationally but locally the buzz is certainly there that Markstrom won’t be a Flame much longer

Kinda vague…the NJD deal? Or what…lots of interested teams and there is absolutely no rush to trade Markstrom unless it’s a very favourable deal

for Cgy otherwise wait till the summer…

i think this mane more hype?

30 minutes ago, cross16 said:

This hasn’t been picked up nationally but locally the buzz is certainly there that Markstrom won’t be a Flame much longer

thing that was talked about yesterday a lot was how much Calgary is getting attention in markets outside Calgary, the Flames are the talk of the league right now.

39 minutes ago, cross16 said:

My guess is that the deal is pretty much done, but NJ and the NHL wants to wait till after the Stadium Series.

1 hour ago, MP5029 said:

Kinda vague…the NJD deal? Or what…lots of interested teams and there is absolutely no rush to trade Markstrom unless it’s a very favourable deal

for Cgy otherwise wait till the summer…

i think this mane more hype?

Most of the noise is around Devils and Flames. Doesn’t meant a team can’t get in there but the rumors are flames and devils basically have a deal in place. Delayed for unknown reasons. 
perhaps the stadium series as Jtech mentions 

17 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Most of the noise is around Devils and Flames. Doesn’t meant a team can’t get in there but the rumors are flames and devils basically have a deal in place. Delayed for unknown reasons. 
perhaps the stadium series as Jtech mentions 

Maybe…but I’m pretty sure it was over salary retention and what the compensation should be…my guess is NJD may have some heat to get a goalie more Now than ever after Hughes’s comments…I figure right after the stadium game this weekend, the may have said ok but let’s wait till that’s over? 

and or maybe Conroy is more willing to retain…at the right price…either way, one has to figure it’s gonna be a decent return…probably not Nemec or Mercer but probably a 1st, and 2 decent young players one D and one F…that’s my guess if there is to be retained salary…basically the 1st rounder is for salary retention would be my guess 

Just now, MP5029 said:

Maybe…but I’m pretty sure it was over salary retention and what the compensation should be…my guess is NJD may have some heat to get a goalie more Now than ever after Hughes’s comments…I figure right after the stadium game this weekend, the may have said ok but let’s wait till that’s over? 

After Friedman reported that initial talks cooled it sounds like the Devils called back and re engaged. The offer changed which is what Thursday night the smoke really picked up that they were close, or maybe even had a done deal. 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

After Friedman reported that initial talks cooled it sounds like the Devils called back and re engaged. The offer changed which is what Thursday night the smoke really picked up that they were close, or maybe even had a done deal. 

If true, sounds promising 😊🍺

not that I’m in a huge rush to

move Markstrom, but I can’t see his value being any higher than it is right now…also, Wolf need NHL time and not just a few games here and there…might as well let him learn the NHL pace now when it’s at it’s highest level, he seems take a little bit to adjust to a new level but every time he has, he’s taken each level by storm so why not let him figure itmthis year and next, after that I can totally see him being a dominant NHL goalie for a number of years 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Have we seen Markstrom's stats without Hanifin and especially Tanev?  It's a good idea to sell high if we are trading away those two D.

Interesting point…a good one at that 

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Have we seen Markstrom's stats without Hanifin and especially Tanev?  It's a good idea to sell high if we are trading away those two D.

Interesting and a good point at that

13 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I agree. I think this TDL is the time to be trading Markstrom and I wouldn’t wait. 

if prefer to move him now and even take a little below my top offer than run the risk of him getting injured it performance suffering and losing his value. 

Be shocked if he is a flames past the deadline 

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

My guess is that the deal is pretty much done, but NJ and the NHL wants to wait till after the Stadium Series.

The timing may have to do with that, but also Markstrom playing at home for what could be his last game here.  Makes sense on both accounts.  I think NJ would prefer to have the guy that practiced outside playing in this game.  Also, whatever is coming back is able to help them in the stadium game.

I got the sense that they were working the phones after coming so close to making the deal.  It's a big ask to have a team retain salary on a big contract for near 3 years.  

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Wonder if Calgary is looking at Turcotte.

If they are not looking at him, they should be.  I don't know if he is really top C ceiling or not but sometimes ya gotta take chances.  Assume you think Hanifin for him ++.  The + could be Englund and/or a good pick.  Steep price to pay, but I think teams will try to make this level of offer.

I mentioned before that I had a feeling Marky and Tanev could be traded together. If the holdup was retention on Marky for NJ, we could definitely retain on Tanev in a package deal - for a bigger return of course.

Salary cap is also going up over $4M next season, so any additional salary an acquiring team takes on isn’t as unmanageable as they’d like everyone to believe.