Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

1 hour ago, redfire11 said:

I think Tanev will be going to Van.

One way it would work

Van Tanev @ 50% $2.25 M

Cgy Suter $1.6 M Juulsen $.775 M = $2.375 + 2025 4 th

Maybe a fair trade, moreso for VAN.

What are we getting for retaining salry?  A 4th next year?

Only Suter interests me.

And not that much because we are gifting Tanev re-signing there.

3 hours ago, redfire11 said:

I think Tanev will be going to Van.

One way it would work

Van Tanev @ 50% $2.25 M

Cgy Suter $1.6 M Juulsen $.775 M = $2.375 + 2025 4 th

Mmmm.

Suter is a 27 year old smallish 3rd line C/LW that has averaged about .4 points per game in the NHL.

Juulsen is a 26 year old mid sized 3rd pairing/replacement level RD that has put up around .1 points per game in the NHL.

A 2025 4th round draft pick has less than a 22% chance of playing 99 games in the NHL.

There is very little upside in this trade proposal for Calgary.

Vancouver would and should be ecstatic with this trade if it were to happen.

I feel that if the Flames are retaining 50% of Tanev's contract, he is worth at least the Canuck's 2025 1st round draft pick and a B prospect like Cole McWard, a 22 year old mid sized RD.

8 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

I feel that if the Flames are retaining 50% of Tanev's contract, he is worth at least the Canuck's 2025 1st round draft pick and a B prospect like Cole McWard, a 22 year old mid sized RD.

I sure hope we get a decent haul for all our players. I don't have your optimism but would love to have that change.

10 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

Mmmm.

Suter is a 27 year old smallish 3rd line C/LW that has averaged about .4 points per game in the NHL.

Juulsen is a 26 year old mid sized 3rd pairing/replacement level RD that has put up around .1 points per game in the NHL.

A 2025 4th round draft pick has less than a 22% chance of playing 99 games in the NHL.

There is very little upside in this trade proposal for Calgary.

Vancouver would and should be ecstatic with this trade if it were to happen.

Rumour is Conroy is asking for a 2nd round pick + prospect for Tanev.  Not sure if retaining would change the 2nd to a 1st.

Lots of teams will want RHS RD going into the playoffs.  Shouldn't be hard to trade Tanev but all teams want a healthy Tanev so will wait until the last day of TDL.

There has been some rumblings that Hanifin would prefer to go to Tampa and that’s where he would like to sign long term, and that he is trying to steer talks that way. 

Tampa can fit him in without having to retain because of Sergachev’s injury. 

They don’t have a 1st this year or next. No 2nd this year either. Their prospects are fairly uninteresting. Issac Howard, Ethan Gauthier and Dylan Duke at forward are all sort of in that B level. Jack Thompson might be the most intriguing prospect they have, 21 year old RHD, has 32 points in 45 games playing for Syracuse in the AHL. If there is a trade with Tampa the talks begin with Thompson and go from there.

18 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

There has been some rumblings that Hanifin would prefer to go to Tampa and that’s where he would like to sign long term, and that he is trying to steer talks that way. 

They don’t have a 1st this year or next. No 2nd this year either. Their prospects are fairly uninteresting. Issac Howard, Ethan Gauthier and Dylan Duke at forward are all sort of in that B level. Jack Thompson might be the most intriguing prospect they have, 21 year old RHD, has 32 points in 45 games playing for Syracuse in the AHL. If there is a trade with Tampa the talks begin with Thompson and go from there.

Or Hanifin can go sign in Tampa this summer by his own choice.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

The most intriguing thing Tampa has is the 2026 1st. It lines up pretty nicely with the window closing.

If Stamkos is still there, he’s 36

Kucherov will be 33

Hedman at age 35

Vasilevskiy 31

Point will be 29.

Thats gonna be an old team with very little in the pipeline. 

2 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Yes and be greedy and ask for their 2026 first…why not? 

Well I am pretty sure Hanifin and Tkachuk are good buddies, so I definitely could see Hanifin wanting to sign long term in Florida. So maybe we work out another sign and trade with Florida.

It takes some patience, but I like the idea of acquiring a 2026 1st from either Florida based club.

A lot can change in two seasons. Look at the Flames in 2022 vs 2024.

With TB that's an aging team by 2026.

With Florida, they're not old but they're already a bottom half farm system with big raises due at the NHL level. Might be thin at the bottom half of that roster.

12 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

It takes some patience, but I like the idea of acquiring a 2026 1st from either Florida based club.

A lot can change in two seasons. Look at the Flames in 2022 vs 2024.

With TB that's an aging team by 2026.

With Florida, they're not old but they're already a bottom half farm system with big raises due at the NHL level. Might be thin at the bottom half of that roster.

Exactly.  MTL made an excellent investment on the Flames demise.

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Anton Lundel would be a nice return.

That would be my first choice.  I wouldn't bother asking for a pick.

If they needed to send a salary our way to make it work, there are some options:

Spencer Knight

or Mikkola

Knight is costing them 3.5M buried cap penalty.

Stolarz has beaten him out.

He would already be in the AHL so he and Wolf could bring each other up.

Good tandem for the future.

Well besides TB there are still

rumours about Hanifin wanting to be in Bos or close to it as well.

some are also suggesting the Nash goalkeeper nabbing Mercer…if that’s the case maybe a blockbuster with NJD?

to NJD

Hanifin

Tanev

Markstrom

to Cgy 

2025 1st (conditional on Hanifin reup)

mercer

Holtz 

Vanecek 

maybe this could

work? Heck may even be worth retaining on Markstrom…25%, but if they’d be wanting 50% that would cost 2024 1st 

53 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

some are also suggesting the Nash goalkeeper nabbing Mercer…if that’s the case maybe a blockbuster with NJD?

to NJD

Hanifin

Tanev

Markstrom

to Cgy 

mercer

Holtz 

Vanecek 

maybe this could

work? Heck may even be worth retaining on Markstrom…25%, but if they’d be wanting 50% that would cost 2024 1st 

Not bad ..has some merit for sure ... I feel it's lacking something but ..overall good idea ..

Only issue ( and I admit I didnt know this either until the other day )  resigning a player can no longer  be a condition in a trade ...so maybe a sign and trade would make that higher 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MP5029 said:

to NJD

Hanifin

Tanev

Markstrom

to Cgy 

mercer

Holtz 

Vanecek 

maybe this could

They got rid of conditional picks for re-signing.

We could do a sign and trade, if he would do it.

I'm not sure I like that big trade.

We give up possibly 2 players that might get us a 1st each.

Plus a world class goalie.

We get a (currently) 3rd line RW, a (currently) 4th line LW and a 28 goalie in his 4th season.

Career year was last year and not trending that way again.

If you separated it out:

Hanifin for Mercer

Markstrom for Holtz + Vanacek

Tanev for a late 1st

Each one is underwhelming, except maybe Mercer.

Just me I guess.

36 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Not bad ..has some merit for sure ... I feel it's lacking something but ..overall good idea ..

Only issue ( and I admit I didnt know this either until the other day )  resigning a player can no longer  be a condition in a trade ...so maybe a sign and trade would make that higher 

Whoops, didn't see that last sentence, but we are in agreement.