Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

4 minutes ago, Sarasti said:

Sounds like the tabled deal for Hanifin is 7.5x8.

Now if you had asked me at the start of the season about this deal I'd have given a hard "no" but I am starting to come around on resigning him. I think his game has grown exponentially this season and he is playing the most confident hockey he ever has.

All that said, this also makes him a really interesting trade chip. I believe he'd bring a similar return that Lindholm did from the right team, maybe more.

Thoughts? 

I think he is a good candidate to keep. It looks like we will probably draft outside the top10 now and to me, it's either shoot for as high end a D in the draft as possible or in that spot, Tij Iginla. I dunno. 

I am ok with keeping him as well, having 3D is good. I do want the Flames to find a higher end defensemen as I find our top 2 D are really good complimentary pieces as both are #2/#3 and an elite #1D is needed. I see Hanifin, Andersson and Weegar as all #2/#3D's. 

It is good! But we do need that elite #1. Would that make one of those three expendable?

• Like 2

Another interesting point has come up about Markstrom, he says it’s up to

management…but he’s not going to ask

for a trade.

Sounds to Me he’s open to being traded, but also just as happy to stay.

This is actually a best case scenario, in that if a great offer comes In good chance Markstrom will take it, which is good for Cgy…but equally as good, If the offers are junk, keep him and let

him guide Wolf into to starter job over the next few seasons…kind of

a win win situation 

personally I’m not sure what would be the minimum to Consider moving Markstrom but I’m kinda thinking at least:

1st roudsr

top prospect 

3rd rounder or equivalent prospect 

is this too much or too little to expect for Markstrom?

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I think he is a good candidate to keep. It looks like we will probably draft outside the top10 now and to me, it's either shoot for as high end a D in the draft as possible or in that spot, Tij Iginla. I dunno. 

I am ok with keeping him as well, having 3D is good. I do want the Flames to find a higher end defensemen as I find our top 2 D are really good complimentary pieces as both are #2/#3 and an elite #1D is needed. I see Hanifin, Andersson and Weegar as all #2/#3D's. 

It is good! But we do need that elite #1. Would that make one of those three expendable?

Tij is going in the top 10 but even if we are like 15-10 and a later 1st could be packed together to move up and nab Tij…this is where moving Hanifin and Markstrom should nab a coup of

extra late 1st rounders to get into a spot to draft Tij

in an ideal world I’d like to be drafting Tij, another Ctr and 2 D in the 1st round but I’m not

sure that would be possible…I’d also settle for a top prospect Ctr and D from trading Marky and Hanifin along with 2 more 1st hopefully draft Tij and a couple of D in the 1st round

adding 2 more 1st rounders this year would be good and more likely than next year as 2025 draft is gonna be kinda like 2023 where teams

will hold on to them…also, this buffers incase Mlt takes ours this year we would Still hold 3 first rounders along with the possibility of a top C and D prospect that would be with more than holding ont to Hanifin I think. 

25 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Tij is going in the top 10 but even if we are like 15-10 and a later 1st could be packed together to move up and nab Tij…this is where moving Hanifin and Markstrom should nab a coup of

extra late 1st rounders to get into a spot to draft Tij

in an ideal world I’d like to be drafting Tij, another Ctr and 2 D in the 1st round but I’m not

sure that would be possible…I’d also settle for a top prospect Ctr and D from trading Marky and Hanifin along with 2 more 1st hopefully draft Tij and a couple of D in the 1st round

adding 2 more 1st rounders this year would be good and more likely than next year as 2025 draft is gonna be kinda like 2023 where teams

will hold on to them…also, this buffers incase Mlt takes ours this year we would Still hold 3 first rounders along with the possibility of a top C and D prospect that would be with more than holding ont to Hanifin I think. 

IMO Iginla isn’t a top 10 pick, just outside of the top 10 for sure. I like the idea of drafting Iginla for the nostalgia and everything, but I would like to aim higher. I also would much rather use a high 1st on a center or defense. 

Also this draft falls off after 20, so I can’t see too many teams valuing late 1sts, and it sounds like teams see those as the same value as 2nd rounders.

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

IMO Iginla isn’t a top 10 pick, just outside of the top 10 for sure. I like the idea of drafting Iginla for the nostalgia and everything, but I would like to aim higher. I also would much rather use a high 1st on a center or defense. 

Also this draft falls off after 20, so I can’t see too many teams valuing late 1sts, and it sounds like teams see those as the same value as 2nd rounders.

Well, the problem is, Tij is trending as good if not better than Jarome did in his draft year…knowing what his dad accomplished and he was drafted at like 12 by Dal i think…?

the cat is out of the bag on Tij…he’s gonna go a fair bit higher than 12, so definitely top 10…also he’s a C 

1 hour ago, MP5029 said:

Well, the problem is, Tij is trending as good if not better than Jarome did in his draft year…knowing what his dad accomplished and he was drafted at like 12 by Dal i think…?

the cat is out of the bag on Tij…he’s gonna go a fair bit higher than 12, so definitely top 10…also he’s a C 

Different circumstances, Jarome played on a powerhouse and didn't get the same opportunities as Tij.  The 1995 draft in general is one that I think a lot of scouts would love a do over.

4 hours ago, Sarasti said:

Sounds like the tabled deal for Hanifin is 7.5x8.

Now if you had asked me at the start of the season about this deal I'd have given a hard "no" but I am starting to come around on resigning him. I think his game has grown exponentially this season and he is playing the most confident hockey he ever has.

All that said, this also makes him a really interesting trade chip. I believe he'd bring a similar return that Lindholm did from the right team, maybe more.

Thoughts? 

Hanifin at 7.5 x 8?  He's na;ready played close to 10 years, most at an okay level.

Does he have some flair?  Sure.

Does he make poor reads?  Sure.

Is he worth 7.5?  Nope.

I really only like his offesnive game, and that's not always, just sometimes.

I think we can do a lot better for that kind of money.

50 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Hanifin at 7.5 x 8?  He's na;ready played close to 10 years, most at an okay level.

Does he have some flair?  Sure.

Does he make poor reads?  Sure.

Is he worth 7.5?  Nope.

I really only like his offesnive game, and that's not always, just sometimes.

I think we can do a lot better for that kind of money.

This. 

8 hours ago, sak22 said:

Different circumstances, Jarome played on a powerhouse and didn't get the same opportunities as Tij.  The 1995 draft in general is one that I think a lot of scouts would love a do over.

Which says a lot about Tij…players on a stacked powerhouse tend to have more

inflated stats, players on a normal or

weaker team have to work harder and earn their points more 

4 hours ago, MP5029 said:

it's a tough call. I agree and disagree. 

there's Greg Nemisz the flames drafted and then Matthew Tkachuk, Marner and Dvorak. We know  who was helped there. 

It then depends on getting pushed down the line or playing on a line with two great players....

another example would be pekka rinne. He played with a great goalie and ended up not getting playing time but when the Preds were scouting that teams goalies, their goalie coach told them, Rinne was just as good. Not the same because obviously Iginla gets playing time, just an example of how a players talents can be shadowed

5 hours ago, MP5029 said:

Yes and no, don't think it's this straightforward.  Part of the reason Jarome popped after his draft year was Shane Doan moved on. Iginla moved into his role and took off. 

I think good players on bad teams can be just as misleading because even on bad teams someone has to score. I'd also take a look at the Rockets because it's not like Tij is on his own there. 

I'm not really for or against drafting Tij but I think he has reached overrated status here. I also find it interesting that for years there has been angst about drafting left shot wingers and now there is a big push to draft one. I think Tij has a chance to be a really good pro but I personally don't see Jarome in there when I watch him. 

10 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Yes and no, don't think it's this straightforward.  Part of the reason Jarome popped after his draft year was Shane Doan moved on. Iginla moved into his role and took off. 

I think good players on bad teams can be just as misleading because even on bad teams someone has to score. I'd also take a look at the Rockets because it's not like Tij is on his own there. 

I'm not really for or against drafting Tij but I think he has reached overrated status here. I also find it interesting that for years there has been angst about drafting left shot wingers and now there is a big push to draft one. I think Tij has a chance to be a really good pro but I personally don't see Jarome in there when I watch him. 

Iggy was a hero here and will always have that status.

Gaudreau was on pace to be as much of a franchise player as him, but for different reasons.

Both moved on and we have nothing to show for it.

The name means nothing if the player isn't of that same stature, other than being a feel good story.

I'm so tired of having a middling team because we worry as much about feel good stories as good teams.

No, this isn't trashing them for the community work or Snowy, this is about rewarding for mediocre play.

So far, I think we are doing a better job in being honest about the team.

The summer presser with Maloney seems to have faded and was more or less expectations.

The reality is we have to trade. 

42 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

So just checking..  Weegar with 2 goals today. and leading all NHL dmen in goals on the season...

What the over / under on the time to the first post saying we need to trade him ? 😁

Had 3, so leading by a few now.

8 hours ago, MP5029 said:

Sure Huska was a point per game player in Jarome's draft year, but Jarome wasn't getting the ice time or the PP time because he was only 17 that whole year and they had Tucker, Dominichelli, Nash who were all older, even Doan who was the same draft class was close to 9 months older.  Not easy to take away ice time from older players who are performing in junior, easy to say now that he was the best player on that team, but he wasn't at 17.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Iggy was a hero here and will always have that status.

Gaudreau was on pace to be as much of a franchise player as him, but for different reasons.

Both moved on and we have nothing to show for it.

The name means nothing if the player isn't of that same stature, other than being a feel good story.

I'm so tired of having a middling team because we worry as much about feel good stories as good teams.

No, this isn't trashing them for the community work or Snowy, this is about rewarding for mediocre play.

So far, I think we are doing a better job in being honest about the team.

The summer presser with Maloney seems to have faded and was more or less expectations.

The reality is we have to trade. 

I don't get this at all.  What is an example of the team making a bad decision just for a feel good story?  

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

I agree. Tij is going to be a good player, and I am not against drafting him, but if we package picks to move up I think there are going to be better players available.

Also we shouldn’t be comparing Tij to Jarome if we are looking at drafting him. We have to compare Tij to the other players available. Who his Dad is has nothing to do with who Tij is, and you have to take that out of the equation. Maybe if 2 players are close then you can use bloodlines as a tie breaker, as that player will have a good idea of what takes to be a pro.

Back on topic a bit this is the right draft to move up if the opportunity presents itself, but it is very difficult to trade into the top 10 or higher.

21 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

So hearing (not sure if it’s all that credible) but Car seems to be interested in Markstrom…any ideas on who and what that have available for a trade for Markstrom? 

Logic would suggest they send over Raanta, only because they have Spencer Martin as a waiver claim and an OK main guy.

The third healthy is Kochetkov, but he's waiver exempt.

Raanta is a pending UFA, so it's just a throw in and to make the roster work.

Before we got Markstrom, I was interested in him.

He hasn't really been that good.

They have a lot of pending UFA D.

Their best F are all 25-29, with the vets being 30+.

DeAngelo might be considered to move, but he's a pending UFA.

Drury is about the only one they mioght move from the F.

Not hitting his stride yet.

No way they move Jarvis.

I don't know if it makes sense to them.  Freddie is out but for how long.

He would only bring them $3.4M in additional cap space on LTIR.

I don't know their prospect pool, so no idea.

They would need to include a high priced contract just to swing it $$ wise.

DeAngelo + Drury + Raanta for Markstrom?

Just a guess.

Personally I see a better fit for us trading him being in the summer.

That won't work for CAR, so they would need to wow us.

An interesting thing happened for the Wranglers; they signed the EBUG Dusty Nickle as an EBUG the other day.

A few hits:

- Friedman reported tonight he believes the devils and flames had a serious conversation about Markstrom, and that the convo ended fairly quickly. Both teams mum on anything of the sort. I think there’s a fit there. If we could get Mercer in the return… maybe that’s where the convo stopped. Doesn’t mean it’s over though. The news above about Carolina being interested in Markstrom too, and Buffalo putting Casey Middlestat out there specifically for a goalie in return *now*, puts us in a better position to get the return we want. 

- Hanifin. There’s no doubt in my mind that we should trade him. Contract offers have been out there, and his waffling and indecision speaks volumes to me. Cut him loose, or prepare yourself for his eventual trade request a year or two into the contract because he changed his mind. Would Philly be interested? Konecny? Frost? Would they be a good trade partner?

- Tanev. Seravalli says a 2nd round pick. Well, there are lots of teams with 2nd round picks that want him and likely put it on the table. With Sergachev going down in TB, every other team just got nervous. First one to blink and give us a first gets him. 

- Kadri??? Hear me out. I LIKE what we’re seeing from Kadri lately, however, I don’t see it as sustainable, and I don’t like the term on the contract. if there’s a chance to move him I’d do it 100%. With Lindholm and Monahan off the board, center men are slim pickings and COL is still looking for one. *IF* we can get a young C in another trade like Dawson Mercer (I heard Middlestat plays C as well, that true?) and COL is interested in Kadri, we know COL has no cap space. Apparently Ryan Johansen (center) is the salary COL wants to move out. Well, to send Kadri to COL and take back RyJo to help the dollars work, it’ll cost you Bowen Byram COL. Salaries fit perfectly. No retention needed. And the salary cap is going up, what is it $4M next season? I think that works money-wise and player-wise for Colorado, and we get back a C in RyJo (2 years on his contract including this one) and Byram to replace Hanifin. 

Am I out to lunch??? Have at’er boys (and gals)

🤠

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

A few hits:

- Friedman reported tonight he believes the devils and flames had a serious conversation about Markstrom, and that the convo ended fairly quickly. Both teams mum on anything of the sort. I think there’s a fit there. If we could get Mercer in the return… maybe that’s where the convo stopped. Doesn’t mean it’s over though. The news above about Carolina being interested in Markstrom too, and Buffalo putting Casey Middlestat out there specifically for a goalie in return, puts us in a better position to get the return we want. 

- Hanifin. There’s no doubt in my mind that we should trade him. Contract offers have been out there, and his waffling and indecision speaks volumes to me. Cut him loose, or prepare yourself for his eventual trade request a year or two into the contract because he changed his mind. Would Philly be interested? Konecny? Frost? Would they be a good trade partner?

- Tanev. Seravalli says a 2nd round pick. Well, there are lots of teams with 2nd round picks that want him and likely put it on the table. With Sergachev going down in TB, every other team just got nervous. First one to blink and give us a first gets him. 

- Kadri??? Hear me out. I LIKE what we’re seeing from Kadri lately, however, I don’t see it as sustainable, and I don’t like the term on the contract. if there’s a chance to move him I’d do it 100%. With Lindholm and Monahan off the board, center men are slim pickings and COL is still looking for one. *IF* we can get a young C in another trade like Dawson Mercer (I heard Middlestat plays C as well, that true?) and COL is interested in Kadri, we know COL has no cap space. Apparently Ryan Johansen (center) is the salary COL wants to move out. Well, to send Kadri to COL and take back RyJo to help the dollars work, it’ll cost you Bowen Byram COL. Salaries fit perfectly. No retention needed. And the salary cap is going up, what is it $4M next season? I think that works money-wise and player-wise for Colorado, and we get back a C in RyJo (2 years on his contract including this one) and Byram to replace Hanifin. 

🤠

tampa can afford both Tanev and Hanifin contract-wise with Sergachev going down, if they need that kind of help. And I wonder, would Hanifin be closer to the kind of player Sergachev is? 

would they want that rental though as they'd probably not be able to sign both. Maybe they can sign Tanev to a two year extension? 

i like your creativity even if just for reading... I wish it was easy to do. What if Calgary can retain 1,000,000 in the Kadri contract, essentially a cheaper buyout? 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

i like your creativity even if just for reading... I wish it was easy to do. What if Calgary can retain 1,000,000 in the Kadri contract, essentially a cheaper buyout? 

Thanks Robrob. If retaining $1M gets us Byram, I’d do it. But, 6 years is a long time to retain $1M for… and, usually when a team retains salary (for 6 years!) there’s additional compensation involved. 

Some (most?) may see my proposal as too tilted in Calgary’s favour, but, I always look at it from the other team’s perspective too. Who else is going to be able to help them out cap-wise by taking RyJo back in a trade (with an additional year on his contract)? Out of the limited C’s out there, who’s a better fit than Kadri? With their logjam of Dmen on the left side (and our purging of defensemen) who’s a better fit to send Byram to, get that much needed C (who’s already a fit and has chemistry), and take RyJo in return? If possible, I try to keep it with no salary retention. The salaries of RyJo and Byram are just above Kadri. Colorado simply pays to upgrade their C with an expendable D. 

1 hour ago, LouCifer said:

A few hits:

- Friedman reported tonight he believes the devils and flames had a serious conversation about Markstrom, and that the convo ended fairly quickly. Both teams mum on anything of the sort. I think there’s a fit there. If we could get Mercer in the return… maybe that’s where the convo stopped. Doesn’t mean it’s over though. The news above about Carolina being interested in Markstrom too, and Buffalo putting Casey Middlestat out there specifically for a goalie in return *now*, puts us in a better position to get the return we want. 

🤠

I don’t think Hanifin is signing. I agree that the Flames should look at a trade. Conroy said he wants guys that want to be in Calgary. The fact that he backed away from the extension last minute would concern me. I think they can get a good return for him, he’s having one of his best years.

At this point, I would be surprised if Tanev doesn’t return a first. Theres just going so much interest. The deadline is the easiest time to get first round picks because every contender thinks they have a chance. My guess is BT caves and the Flames get something like a 1 and 3 for Tanev with half retained.

I like the idea of Byram but I think that’s a summer move. With the Flames likely stockpiling picks in the next month, Byram is something I would explore at the draft. They dealt Newhook last year for a 1 and 2. Maybe something like that, Calgary is going to need NHL D. Byram is the perfect “retool” target.

I don’t think a Markstrom deal makes sense, in-season. The Flames are still in the mix (for now). It’s a difficult trade to project because what would the Flames want? Picks, sure, but there is a world where they add three additional firsts by trading the rentals. I suppose it depends what management/ownership want. If they want to try again at the playoffs next year, one extra first round pick probably doesn’t help. If they are fully committed to get younger, it makes sense.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I don’t think Hanifin is signing. I agree that the Flames should look at a trade. Conroy said he wants guys that want to be in Calgary. The fact that he backed away from the extension last minute would concern me. I think they can get a good return for him, he’s having one of his best years.

At this point, I would be surprised if Tanev doesn’t return a first. Theres just going so much interest. The deadline is the easiest time to get first round picks because every contender thinks they have a chance. My guess is BT caves and the Flames get something like a 1 and 3 for Tanev with half retained.

I like the idea of Byram but I think that’s a summer move. With the Flames likely stockpiling picks in the next month, Byram is something I would explore at the draft. They dealt Newhook last year for a 1 and 2. Maybe something like that, Calgary is going to need NHL D. Byram is the perfect “retool” target.

I don’t think a Markstrom deal makes sense, in-season. The Flames are still in the mix (for now). It’s a difficult trade to project because what would the Flames want? Picks, sure, but there is a world where they add three additional firsts by trading the rentals. I suppose it depends what management/ownership want. If they want to try again at the playoffs next year, one extra first round pick probably doesn’t help. If they are fully committed to get younger, it makes sense.

It is hard not to look at the Gaudreau situation in hindsight, a possible run at the cup and knowing he was leaning to and fro on staying or going. I'd have traded him a few years earlier; but I wanted to move him regardless of him doing well or not. Thats past...

but I think maybe Conroy is proving he is learning from that mistake. There is hope he will move Hanifin if he doesn't choose to re-sign by a certain date. Guessing that is the end of this week so Connie can listen for deal proposals. 

Tanev if he stays healthy, is gone. 
When is it a good time for the team to inquire on Kylington or just let that be? I lean that they let that be.

Interesting time.

maybe having wolf up now gives him time to be up to speed on NHL players for a Marky trade? Not saying that Vladar isn't injured though, just that maybe a small slight hint of a correlation. 

Some buyouts end up many years after the fact and perhaps retaining on Kadri would be less in the long run? I dunno. 

I like how Kadri is playing and glad to see the team trying and winning. Maybe they end up in the Playoffs...

• Like 1