Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

16 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Apparently Minnesota is willing to listen on Marco Rossi. I think Calgary should be giving Guerin a call. A skilled young center. 

Nah, I would pass.  I was always skeptical that a 5'-9" Center would be able to make it.  He's far from the offensive force everyone thought he can be.  I'd rather move forward with Zary than Rossi.  Zary has more edge and physicality.

I would be interested in Rossi.

Thats the type of players the Flames should be looking at. 

I would think the cost would be Pelletier and picks. MIN probably asks for the VAN 1st to go along with a Pelletier. Maybe more involved.

42 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I would think the cost would be Pelletier and picks. MIN probably asks for the VAN 1st to go along with a Pelletier. Maybe more involved.

I don't think Pelts drives much in the talent for talent aspect with what Minnesota wants, which as stated he isn't being shopped but they will listen.  With him losing waiver exemption next year and having such a small sample size of work this season, I don't see him carrying much value.

4 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I would offer a 3rd round pick, max.

Pretty sure we can find a 40-point guy with our 1st and 2nd rounders.  Rossi is top 6 or bust.  He doesn't have the size to play a bottom 6 role.

3 hours ago, sak22 said:

I don't think Pelts drives much in the talent for talent aspect with what Minnesota wants, which as stated he isn't being shopped but they will listen.  With him losing waiver exemption next year and having such a small sample size of work this season, I don't see him carrying much value.

That's fair and I would tend to agree. 

The value on Pelletier probably isn't that high, but he could be a piece added to push a deal across the finish line.

I, was wondering if Seattle would listen to offers for Shane Wright. Kraken currently have M. Beniers at Center and J.Mccann. Wright has done well at the AHL and NHL Level. Maybe both 1st rounders for Wright. Too much?

10 minutes ago, Link99 said:

I, was wondering if Seattle would listen to offers for Shane Wright. Kraken currently have M. Beniers at Center and J.Mccann. Wright has done well at the AHL and NHL Level. Maybe both 1st rounders for Wright. Too much?

I don't know if I'd even go with #9 for Wright, Vancouver's sure but each time I see him I become less and less impressed.  Good skill set, but if I'm not actively looking for him most games I didn't notice him, and I did see CV 4 times this year.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I don't know if I'd even go with #9 for Wright, Vancouver's sure but each time I see him I become less and less impressed.  Good skill set, but if I'm not actively looking for him most games I didn't notice him, and I did see CV 4 times this year.

I'm the same. Saw him twice and if someone didn't remind me he was playing I would not have known. 

That being said I really liked him pre draft and he didn't have that bad a season. There is a bit too much peaks and valleys to his game but he is progressing. I wouldn't be giving up 9 for him but I'd move the Van pick but I don't think Seattle moves him for that yet. 

Think the price would still be high on Wright and while I like him I don't think he is a center you build around. More of a complimentary piece 

A really good, deep Windsor team (ranked #1 in the Western Conference) paid the world for him at the OHL deadline last year.

Then they got swept by 8th-ranked Kitchener. London handily dispatched of Kitchener in rd 2.

Wright was literally of zero consequence on a really good team.

He's not a difference-maker.

I wouldn't give any firsts for him personally. I'd rather risk it in the draft, even at the Van pick. For whatever reason, Wright is like a black cloud.

As an aside, it's a strange vibe that if you pull some attitude on the draft floor with team(s) that didn't draft you, it's like a death knell. Zadina pulled attitude as well. Death knell.

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/four-mitch-marner-trades-the-maple-leafs-could-consider/

Calgary Flames get: RW Mitch Marner, C Fraser Minten, LW Nick Robertson, D Timothy Liljegren

Toronto Maple Leafs get: G Jacob Markstrom*, D Rasmus Andersson

*Flames retain 25 per cent of Markstrom’s remaining salary

Well that article was some high quality entertainment 

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Well that article was some high quality entertainment 

My impressions from reading and comments is both Robertson and Liljegren are so-so, Marner is an expensive(and entitled) Gaudreau 2.0 so what is Fraser Minten?  Might be just what Toronto needs but isn’t really what the Flames need?

32 minutes ago, cberg said:

My impressions from reading and comments is both Robertson and Liljegren are so-so, Marner is an expensive(and entitled) Gaudreau 2.0 so what is Fraser Minten?  Might be just what Toronto needs but isn’t really what the Flames need?

I mean it just makes no sense from either side. 

None of the deals he presented make any sense to the parties involved. it was a pure entertainment piece IMO that lacked any realism IMO. 

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

I mean it just makes no sense from either side. 

None of the deals he presented make any sense to the parties involved. it was a pure entertainment piece IMO that lacked any realism IMO. 

Well at least Toronto was getting a top end RS D and top end goalie, two of their biggest needs, and freed up some money for additional D.  The problem for the Flames is Robertson and Liljegren are probably not better than prospects Calgary already has and Marner isn’t a big game producer Calgary needs.

1 hour ago, cberg said:

Well at least Toronto was getting a top end RS D and top end goalie, two of their biggest needs, and freed up some money for additional D.  The problem for the Flames is Robertson and Liljegren are probably not better than prospects Calgary already has and Marner isn’t a big game producer Calgary needs.

i wonder though, right now the prospects pool is still kind of bare and having guys fill needs while there is a shift to youth, which will take time, to insulate the new picks.

3 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

i wonder though, right now the prospects pool is still kind of bare and having guys fill needs while there is a shift to youth, which will take time, to insulate the new picks.

True, but in 3-4 years who would be left that we really want?  

That SN article is funny.

I don’t think they realize that Marner holds all the cards. He could very well say “I’m only waiving for Vegas, Florida or Tampa”. “Oh they don’t want me or can’t make the money work? I’ll exercise my NMC and walk to FA”.

Further to that article, it’s actually hilarious that they think the guy that’s being ran out of Toronto will return a 4th overall pick. He wouldn’t waive for Columbus and CBJ isn’t in a spot to pay 11+ for the same player that Gaudreau is.

I do like the Seattle fit though. I don’t think Francis will trade Wright yet. Larsson left Edmonton because the “one for one” associated with him bothered him. He isn’t signing up to be traded for local kid, Marner.

Cap wise, I would wonder about Marner for Dunn and McCann. I think there will be an added level of urgency from Kraken ownership to improve the team. Friedman mentioned there is concern about the NBA returning to Seattle. They don’t want to risk being the #4 team in the market if/when that happens

18 hours ago, The_People1 said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/four-mitch-marner-trades-the-maple-leafs-could-consider/

Calgary Flames get: RW Mitch Marner, C Fraser Minten, LW Nick Robertson, D Timothy Liljegren

Okay, so from a Flames perspective, we get a RW a lesser D and a LW that has name recognition.  He had a decent NHL season.  And a prospect.  What it really does is open up a RD spot.  Right now we have three top 4 RHS RD.  And we lose the goalie we are thinking it's the right time to trade.  Marner is only uselfull if we re-sign him or trade him, since we aren't contending anytime soon.  His age makes him okay to re-sign but we can't pay him that kind of money long term.  We would need to not continue his NTC if we got him and trade him for a HUGE haul at TDL.  We make that known to teams before the season starts.  Quietly.  

The trade that never will happen.  Interesting, and probably gives TO a goalie that makes no difference.  Maybe Ras replaces Gio.  Maybe makes them a little better but not much.

20 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Where do I even start? I'd do that without batting an eye, it's so laughable. Where will Markstrom and Andersson be with the Flames when their contracts expire in 2 more seasons??

That's an awful deal for the Leafs, so I'm all for it. lol

You STILL can't defend very well.

I can't believe how leaf heads just constantly dump on Marner. I'd take him. Am I looking at a 5 x $12 extension? I'd have no problem with that. He's a great player, just constantly takes the brunt of the blame for a team having a terribly constructed backend.

Alternatively, I can get a nice windfall at TDL. I think he'd be great in Calgary, though.

Minten's a nice C prospect, Robertson needs more and better opportunities, Liljegren is fine.

I'm not fixing all of my problems at once, but I'd definitely do this ridiculous deal.

Really wondering what the goalie market will look like this summer after what were seeing in the playoffs. Carolina can't get over the hump and they have to be pretty choked to lost a 3-1 in the 3rd after Andersson gives up a bad goal. Goaltending isn't' the only reason Colorado is down but it's a big one.  I think the Oiles are up in the series right now if it weren't for Skinner. 

I think it was already shaping up to be busy but I think goaltending is becoming a really big storyline in these playoffs. With some more money to spend it will be interesting to see what that means, and what it means for Markstrom's value. 

12 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Really wondering what the goalie market will look like this summer after what were seeing in the playoffs. Carolina can't get over the hump and they have to be pretty choked to lost a 3-1 in the 3rd after Andersson gives up a bad goal. Goaltending isn't' the only reason Colorado is down but it's a big one.  I think the Oiles are up in the series right now if it weren't for Skinner. 

I think it was already shaping up to be busy but I think goaltending is becoming a really big storyline in these playoffs. With some more money to spend it will be interesting to see what that means, and what it means for Markstrom's value. 

I think it was smart of Conroy to wait on moving Markstrom.

There will be a lot of teams looking for goaltending this offseason. Toronto, Carolina, NJ, Colorado, LA, Edmonton, Buffalo.

Friedman speculating that Carolina will most likely be looking to trade Necas rights this summer. Necas is exactly the type of player I would target if I am Conroy. He brings speed and skill, can play C and RW. He is still young enough to be part of the rebuild plan. I think he would also be a player who could help Huberdeau.