Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

30 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Well how convenient...

Well, you have him in your pool right?  He's missed his 5th straight game.

But Siggy has been activated off IR, so a little suspicious.

Cap management no doubt.

Imagine this may have something to do with their desire for a real goalie.

Side note…was reading an article that Col may be in the mix for Hanifin…if true any ideas on the return? I’m thinking cap retention may be need by Col? 

asking cause I didn’t think Col was hard up for a LD…I guess he’d help the PP but I figured if Col were to be interested in any D it would have been Tanev 

anyway thoughts? 

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

So, Vanacek on IR now.  That is fine if they want to include in trade.

It allows us to use Wolf until Vanacek is ready.

If Vanacek came back prior to TDL, then we move Vladar.

This doesn't really impact trade mechanics. Vanacek is on IR in order to clear the spot for Siegenthaler (they don't have other means of clearing the spot without sending down a player) and the reason it's retroactive is to meet the criteria of IR. 

I would not view this as related to any potential trade, this is simple roster mechanics. 

Thoughts for trades:

Hanifin - likely going to a U.S. team if they want more than a rental.

TSN suggested Tampa may be interested as Sergachev is out long term. Not sure they have cap space to sign him long term, so would he be more than a rental for them? Tampa doesn’t have a 1st or 2nd round pick this year, or a first next year. As for players they would send back, not much of interest that they would be willing to move. Only interesting prospect really for me is Maxwell Crozier (6’2 RD from Calgary) in his first year pro after University. Not an offensive dynamo, but +/- looks positive so steady on D. 

Markstrom - only going to a contender. Why leave one rebuild for another unless there are deeper locker room issues? Likely a trade for picks / prospects but would be late 1st at best.

Tanev - lots of contenders want him as a rental. Not sure which teams would look long term with injury history, style of play and age. Likely a small bidding war, but as a rental only, best would be late 1st round pick. Likely 2nd plus middling prospect/ lower roster player.

TSN also said Florida looking for a middle 6 forward. What would the Panthers have for say Mangiapane? Lundell would be nice, but is he available? Could likely get Spencer Knight, currently buried and eating cap space. Not sure any prospects that are intriguing. Same draft issues as Tampa.

Biggest problem with a Kadri trade is his contract. He will only waive to go to a contender, and how many contenders can take on 7 mil for the next 6 years? We can dream, but unlikely he moves any time soon unless he requests a trade.

Huberdeau contract to output likely makes him untradeable at this time.

Coleman and Weegar would be coveted by any team for the same reasons the Flames should keep them. I don’t believe you get enough return to replace their intangibles.

Vladar is trade able but doesn’t likely bring back a significant return. 

Not sure anyone else is really a trade option at this time.

Ok so another article has Pho and Cgy making an interesting deal…I’m not sure if it’s credible but this is what was suggested:

to Pho

Anderson

Manji

to Cgy

Crouse

Soderstrom

2024 1st round pick

on the surface seems Like a pretty good deal for Cgy especially with the Pho 2024 1st…almost seems too good, not sure why Pho would make this move other than Manji and Anderson are known commodities…sure Crouse is but there would be a gamble of sorts with Soderstrom and the 2024 1st…out side of that I’m not sure how this would really benefit Pho…

personally I’d take the gable and do this deal if it’s on the table.

40 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Ok so another article has Pho and Cgy making an interesting deal…I’m not sure if it’s credible but this is what was suggested:

to Pho

Anderson

Manji

to Cgy

Crouse

Soderstrom

2024 1st round pick

on the surface seems Like a pretty good deal for Cgy especially with the Pho 2024 1st…almost seems too good, not sure why Pho would make this move other than Manji and Anderson are known commodities…sure Crouse is but there would be a gamble of sorts with Soderstrom and the 2024 1st…out side of that I’m not sure how this would really benefit Pho…

1st is nice but I'm very hesitant to move andersson 

• Like 1

I think Seravalli is the mouthpiece for the Hanifin camp.

Leaks the Tampa rumour.  It’s not by accident. They happen to be in the same division as his hometown team.

There is no reason for this to link other than to alert the Bruins. Come get the hometown kid, or he will be a division rival.

EDIT- Florida too. I think this is all about driving up interest. 

41 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think Seravalli is the mouthpiece for the Hanifin camp.

Leaks the Tampa rumour.  It’s not by accident. They happen to be in the same division as his hometown team.

There is no reason for this to link other than to alert the Bruins. Come get the hometown kid, or he will be a division rival.

EDIT- Florida too. I think this is all about driving up interest. 

What can TB give us for Hanifin?  Knowing they can sign Hanifin this summer as it's Hanifin's preferred destination, does TB just low ball us?  Or is TB's core old and doesn't have many more swings at the bat remaining?  TB goes in hard for Hanifin?

2 hours ago, MP5029 said:

to Pho

Anderson

Manji

to Cgy

Crouse

Soderstrom

2024 1st round pick

1 hour ago, Sarasti said:

1st is nice but I'm very hesitant to move andersson 

Depends where ARZ is picking.  Top 5 pick for Andersson is a fair deal.  We can draft his replacement instantly.

Only a few teams I would bother dealing Hanifin to.

Most are in the East.

FLA is best chance there.

BOS is a little thin on the return.

CAR would be fine, but why would they trade for him now?

TOR - nope

OTT - nope

MTL - no f'n way

NJ - not sure they need him, besides we are trading Markstrom to them

In the West, I could see VGK but they have a tenuous cap situation.

Maybe Roy + 1st?  Each piece alone not worth the deal.  Together maybe too much.

Hogue + 1st?  Cotter + 2nd + Morozov?

19 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Only a few teams I would bother dealing Hanifin to.

Most are in the East.

FLA is best chance there.

BOS is a little thin on the return.

CAR would be fine, but why would they trade for him now?

TOR - nope

OTT - nope

MTL - no f'n way

NJ - not sure they need him, besides we are trading Markstrom to them

In the West, I could see VGK but they have a tenuous cap situation.

Maybe Roy + 1st?  Each piece alone not worth the deal.  Together maybe too much.

Hogue + 1st?  Cotter + 2nd + Morozov?

I think there are four possibilities 

Boston, Florida, Tampa and Vegas.

The Tampa thing leaking doesn’t make sense to me. It’s obviously from the Hanifin camp. Leaking that hurts him financially. Why would you tell a team you really want to play for them. They’re gonna nickel and dime him then. I think it’s a shot at Boston and Florida more than anything.

11 hours ago, The_People1 said:

What can TB give us for Hanifin?  Knowing they can sign Hanifin this summer as it's Hanifin's preferred destination, does TB just low ball us?  Or is TB's core old and doesn't have many more swings at the bat remaining?  TB goes in hard for Hanifin?

not much. Weak prospect pool and no first rounder for the next 2 years. Even some of the roster players they might give up don’t fit what what the flames are doing.  I’m looking at Tanner Jeannot who hasn’t been a good fit, so I could see them be willing to include him but that's not a ton of value for the Flames as he's 26 and UFA in 2 years. 

I agree that Tampa doesn't make alot sense. I also don’t see how Tampa can sign him long term. They are already committed to 76 mill next year with no Stamkos and only 16 players.

I don’t  see the upside for the flames. Feel like that is Seravelli pushing some kind of message there. 

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think there are four possibilities 

Boston, Florida, Tampa and Vegas.

The Tampa thing leaking doesn’t make sense to me. It’s obviously from the Hanifin camp. Leaking that hurts him financially. Why would you tell a team you really want to play for them. They’re gonna nickel and dime him then. I think it’s a shot at Boston and Florida more than anything.

I don't see Tampa, and BOS only makes sense for his family connections.

BOS has no cap to take him on and I don't see a NHL player return that makes sense.

FLA makes too much sense.

VGK makes some sense too.

I would trade Tanev straight up for Stankoven, but that's just me.

Nothing else in the deal.

We could retain salary for a lesser pick on top of it.

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don't see Tampa, and BOS only makes sense for his family connections.

BOS has no cap to take him on and I don't see a NHL player return that makes sense.

FLA makes too much sense.

VGK makes some sense too.

I would trade Tanev straight up for Stankoven, but that's just me.

Nothing else in the deal.

We could retain salary for a lesser pick on top of it.

I would too, I fully believe Jim Nill wouldn't though.

2nd Kings game we have scouted in the last while, mind you we play the Kings in a week.

Hanifin would make a lot of sense for LA. They have their next two 1st’s and Alex Turcotte and Arthur Kaliyev would be somewhat interesting add ons.

Just now, JTech780 said:

2nd Kings game we have scouted in the last while, mind you we play the Kings in a week.

Hanifin would make a lot of sense for LA. They have their next two 1st’s and Alex Turcotte and Arthur Kaliyev would be somewhat interesting add ons.

I have been thinking Kaliyev for some time.

Turcotte maybe instead, but need a 1st with either perhaps.

Maybe they are willing to outbid FLA.

44 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

maybe Markstrom makes sense for them. They've been kind of just average in nets, no? 

44 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

That and even though its the US its no "closer to home" than Calgary which seems to be Hanifins ideal.

Ok so what if we take a page out of Gaudreau’s book here and say maybe Hanifin would like a closer to home market and one that’s less in the spot light…CBJ

first, they are bleeding badly in GA, and they seem to have a handcuffed offence which a mobile D can make a huge difference in imprisonment.

second, they have cap room

Third, and this is where it may stop short, but they could probably use a G like Markstrom…though I suspect he’d squash it with his NTC but maybe…he might be willing to…

to CBJ

Hanifin

Markstrom

to Cgy

sillinger

ceulemans

2024 first or bean or Boqvist

or something like this…

Markstrom will only go to a contender. That is not what Columbus is right now.

Gaudreau left money on the table to sign in Columbus because it was closer to home (and likely he couldn’t get a deal done with a team he really wanted, this is just conjecture), and the less spotlight was good for him.

Tkachuk, like many young stars, are looking for a certain lifestyle. The relative anonymity, nightlife and general youthful atmosphere of Florida fits him perfectly. Vegas and California teams offer similar situations while still being considered competitive teams. Arizona could have a similar draw, except for the lack of competitiveness.

To me, Hanifin seems more Gaudreau than Tkachuk. He is less exuberant than Tkachuk, but more outgoing than Hamilton was. Youthful but not party all the time idea. 

I think Hanifin would do well in St. Louis, but I don’t see them having the need, space, or ability to trade for him. They have pieces I would like to get back, but both Kyrou and Thomas just signed big, long contracts, and Parayko has an NTC.

Minnesota could be a good spot for Hanifin, but they would have their work cut out to re-sign him. Fleury and Goligoski UFA are the only real cap openings, enough to cover Hanifin’s new contract, likely bringing up Wallstedt to tandem in net. Other than Wallstedt, I don’t know what prospects the Flames would target, and the First round pick would be around the same as the Flames right now.

A team that might make sense would be Chicago. They are in full rebuild mode with a ton of cap space, tons of draft picks in the next few years and may be willing to accelerate their rebuild. It is East for Hanifin, so closer to home, still a hockey town, in the U.S. and he would be playing with Bedard. 

Possible trade suggestion with Chicago:

To CHI

Hanifin

Vladar

Mangiapane

To CGY

Taylor Raddysh (26yo, 6’2 RW)

Alex Vlasic (6’6 LD, 22yo)

Samuel Savoie (19yo, 5’10 LW)

2025 1st round pick.

Hanifin is still young enough to give Chicago steady D for years to come which they sorely need. Vladar helps in net as Mrazek has been ok but Soderblom has been ineffective at best. Mange gives them a known commodity who is good defensively, good secondary scoring, competitive and signed for another season. This would accelerate the Chicago rebuild for sure.

I don’t think Chicago would be willing to do this year’s first (likely 1st overall but at worst 3rd), so next year’s would be included. Raddysh never really flourished but did score 20 last year and at 26 is likely exactly what he will be. 3rd line RW with ability to play 2nd RW when needed. Vlasic is a huge, young LD who may never be top pair but is described as steady, low risk D. Likely a mid or bottom pair. Savoie is still in the Q but is putting up solid offense. A little small, but not tiny at 5’10. 

https://www.capfriendly.com/scouting-reports/report/alex-vlasic-57934#:~:text=Averaging nearly 20%3A00 TOI,moving pucks from his zone.

https://dobberprospects.com/player/samuel-savoie/

Basically this move accelerates the Chicago timeline for finishing their rebuild while it kickstarts Calgary’s with pieces that can step in soon without emptying Chicago’s cupboards. More of a hockey trade than a deadline push for a contender, but I think it helps both teams long term.

11 hours ago, cross16 said:

not much. Weak prospect pool and no first rounder for the next 2 years. Even some of the roster players they might give up don’t fit what what the flames are doing.  I’m looking at Tanner Jeannot who hasn’t been a good fit, so I could see them be willing to include him but that's not a ton of value for the Flames as he's 26 and UFA in 2 years. 

I agree that Tampa doesn't make alot sense. I also don’t see how Tampa can sign him long term. They are already committed to 76 mill next year with no Stamkos and only 16 players.

I don’t  see the upside for the flames. Feel like that is Seravelli pushing some kind of message there. 

I'm worried we're almost getting roped Into an Iggy like scenario..  who knows how reliable or legit the source is but seravilli Isnt one to make stuff up.. somebody told him this...

If true .. other teams are less likely to go all on if they believe they have no hope of signing him... He'll still fetch a good rental price ..but the lure of resigning him or a sign and trade definitely ups the ante..  now likely only Tampa can do that and they don't have much..and they have the supposed luxury ad well as just waiting til summer to get him for free so you can't even hold them hostage ..

Tho tbh that 2026 first could be a steal if they are in decline but I want more than that 

16 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

Markstrom will only go to a contender. That is not what Columbus is right now.

Gaudreau left money on the table to sign in Columbus because it was closer to home (and likely he couldn’t get a deal done with a team he really wanted, this is just conjecture), and the less spotlight was good for him.

Tkachuk, like many young stars, are looking for a certain lifestyle. The relative anonymity, nightlife and general youthful atmosphere of Florida fits him perfectly. Vegas and California teams offer similar situations while still being considered competitive teams. Arizona could have a similar draw, except for the lack of competitiveness.

To me, Hanifin seems more Gaudreau than Tkachuk. He is less exuberant than Tkachuk, but more outgoing than Hamilton was. Youthful but not party all the time idea. 

I think Hanifin would do well in St. Louis, but I don’t see them having the need, space, or ability to trade for him. They have pieces I would like to get back, but both Kyrou and Thomas just signed big, long contracts, and Parayko has an NTC.

Minnesota could be a good spot for Hanifin, but they would have their work cut out to re-sign him. Fleury and Goligoski UFA are the only real cap openings, enough to cover Hanifin’s new contract, likely bringing up Wallstedt to tandem in net. Other than Wallstedt, I don’t know what prospects the Flames would target, and the First round pick would be around the same as the Flames right now.

A team that might make sense would be Chicago. They are in full rebuild mode with a ton of cap space, tons of draft picks in the next few years and may be willing to accelerate their rebuild. It is East for Hanifin, so closer to home, still a hockey town, in the U.S. and he would be playing with Bedard. 

Possible trade suggestion with Chicago:

To CHI

Hanifin

Vladar

Mangiapane

To CGY

Taylor Raddysh (26yo, 6’2 RW)

Alex Vlasic (6’6 LD, 22yo)

Samuel Savoie (19yo, 5’10 LW)

2025 1st round pick.

Hanifin is still young enough to give Chicago steady D for years to come which they sorely need. Vladar helps in net as Mrazek has been ok but Soderblom has been ineffective at best. Mange gives them a known commodity who is good defensively, good secondary scoring, competitive and signed for another season. This would accelerate the Chicago rebuild for sure.

I don’t think Chicago would be willing to do this year’s first (likely 1st overall but at worst 3rd), so next year’s would be included. Raddysh never really flourished but did score 20 last year and at 26 is likely exactly what he will be. 3rd line RW with ability to play 2nd RW when needed. Vlasic is a huge, young LD who may never be top pair but is described as steady, low risk D. Likely a mid or bottom pair. Savoie is still in the Q but is putting up solid offense. A little small, but not tiny at 5’10. 

https://www.capfriendly.com/scouting-reports/report/alex-vlasic-57934#:~:text=Averaging nearly 20%3A00 TOI,moving pucks from his zone.

https://dobberprospects.com/player/samuel-savoie/

Basically this move accelerates the Chicago timeline for finishing their rebuild while it kickstarts Calgary’s with pieces that can step in soon without emptying Chicago’s cupboards. More of a hockey trade than a deadline push for a contender, but I think it helps both teams long term.

I think Mangiapane might be of interest to them.  A young-ish F.  Vladar is not worth anything to them, and frankly I'm not even sure he has value to us.  Hanifin might be more of a UFA target than a trade target.  They want o do nothing to increase their chances at winning games over the next 2 months.  Hanifin increases their goals per game, so it goes against the tank for 1st ideas they won't say out loud.  

I doubt they would do anything involving a 1st over the next 2 years.  They have conditional 1sts from Tampa and Toronto.  I doubt they would even consider trading them.

Good thinking out of the box.  Rebuilding teams need to actually compete, but CHI seems to be in the Toews/Kane era right now; tank to get successive 1st overalls.  Collect more picks while doing that.