Training Camp 2023

Thebrewcrew

3 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

The team has dodged the injury bug for so long its bound to catch up at some point.

It’s very true.

The Flames have been fortunate for a long time. 

I could almost name the key injuries of the past 5-7 years. That’s how fortunate they’ve been.

50 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

It’s very true.

The Flames have been fortunate for a long time. 

I could almost name the key injuries of the past 5-7 years. That’s how fortunate they’ve been.

I don't think it's the actual case. I don't think the Flames players have been fully forthcoming with their injuries. Monahan, Tanev, and those are the two I can think of. Players play through injuries. But I think healing could do more for the team than playing injured does.

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I don't think it's the actual case. I don't think the Flames players have been fully forthcoming with their injuries. Monahan, Tanev, and those are the two I can think of. Players play through injuries. But I think healing could do more for the team than playing injured does.

They certainly have.

Monahan is the only major core piece that missed any significant amount of time.

Gaudreau only missed like 10 games with a broken finger. In 8yrs.

Tkachuk missed 4 playoff games in the bubble and then a few in 2018. In 6 seasons 

Gio had the bicep injury in 2015.

That’s very fortunate.

The systems Huska has them playing are just so much better to watch, the turnovers, never leaving our zone, more turnovers, poor coverage, and of course the intimidation factor of the speed and accuracy of the passes oh my god it was just so invigorating watch.  Markstorm with the 1st shot goal start, the offensive creativity is just mind-blowing, the d zone breakouts are world-class and the liberties taken on prospects were actually entertaining to watch. It so nice to see the players in their happy places all excited and more energized for the season, it's going to be so much fun. 

However, sarcasm aside, Let the 2023-2024 season of Satoshi Nakamototy excuses begin!!!

3 hours ago, tmac70 said:

The systems Huska has them playing are just so much better to watch, the turnovers, never leaving our zone, more turnovers, poor coverage, and of course the intimidation factor of the speed and accuracy of the passes oh my god it was just so invigorating watch.  Markstorm with the 1st shot goal start, the offensive creativity is just mind-blowing, the d zone breakouts are world-class and the liberties taken on prospects were actually entertaining to watch. It so nice to see the players in their happy places all excited and more energized for the season, it's going to be so much fun. 

However, sarcasm aside, Let the 2023-2024 season of Satoshi Nakamototy excuses begin!!!

Markstorm with the 1st shot goal start, disgusting so sick of poor performance already and the season hasn't even started.

1 hour ago, medatswhoP said:

Markstorm with the 1st shot goal start, disgusting so sick of poor performance already and the season hasn't even started.

All 5 defenders were at the puck carrier. Let's blame Markstrom. I agree with tmac about the constant turnover machine.

Hopefully this gets really cleaned up defensively, because that was fugly.

I don't think a goalie can save you from those complete breakdowns/low effort in your own end.

edit

anyone know how to post a screenshot at 26 seconds of the extended highlights? That's just when the pass is going to the dman at the point on goal #1 that apparently is Markstrom's fault. How many Flames skaters do you see? Nice coverage boys...

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

All 5 defenders were at the puck carrier. Let's blame Markstrom. I agree with tmac about the constant turnover machine.

I don't think a goalie can save you from those complete breakdowns/low effort in your own end.

edit

anyone know how to post a screenshot at 26 seconds of the extended highlights? That's just when the pass is going to the dman at the point on goal #1 that apparently is Markstrom's fault. How many Flames skaters do you see? Nice coverage boys...

Well let’s look at goalie Vs goalie for a second:

Markstrom .906 

vcr’s goalie was .944

at 6 mil yes this was a poor

showing for Markstrom, he’s paid to be much better than .906 GGA 

im so tired for fans letting this team off the hook, thinking Backstrom should be the captain…he’s a crybaby and that’s gonna be this teams identity for the next 2 years unless he’s traded, which we all know isn’t happening with this stupid ownership group that refuses to go younger…sure they added a few ok prospects to the line up but they have an opportunity to move Backlund this year and opted to sign him instead and give him the C cause he thought he should have had it, personally there are a few better options than Backlund already on the team and if I’m being fully honest, they blew the best option in Chucky…BT made a very bad deal in the bridge year…Ottawa went the other way with Brady and that’s looking like

what Cgy should have done with Matt.

anyway, looking like

another   8 years of 16th just out of the playoffs…though Hubby is looking better than last year but that’s just 1 guy, and to be honest he’s probably not earning that 10mil over the next 8 in point production, I doubt they will be able

to trade him for much of anything even if he bounces back and if he dose they will keep him anyway cause that is what Cgy owners do, waist assets 

hopefully in 8 years, they are forced to go young and rebuild, they had a great opportunity this year to move out a bunch of 30+ guys for young prospects but that’s gone now we know they are entrenched with 30+ core players after this Backlund signing, I’d have traded him at TDL with retained salary for

prospects and picks…same for Hanifin, Lindhom and well if anyone wanted them even Markstrom, Hubby and Kadri would all be candidates for retained salary moves for picks and prospects…if Cgy owners had a clue, it’s a perfect time to do it that way when the new arena opens you have a strong young core in mid to late 20’s to open a new arena with Vs an aged slow mid to late 30’s core…makes what Cgy is doing makes absolutely no sense!

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

edit

The preseason means Richard, and it looked like we just wanted to play to not get injured.  Coronato was told to calm down after the big hit.  Saying that, the D don't look that well coached yet.  Change the system, but not give it enough time to implement it.  Couple of games at most where we have all the regular D in place.  

So, either this was a complete lack of try or it's going to take a month of regular season to sort it out.  I'm not as worried about offense right now, since I think we have several options for the top 9.  4th line is still a concern with what we have left.  

The goaltending may actually benefit from the lack of steady play.  We had stellar goaltending in the first few months of 21/22 which is when we are typically a mess.  We will see.  Wasn't super impressed with the effort in front of the goalie last night and Markstrom gave up a couple he should have had.  

40 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The preseason means Richard, and it looked like we just wanted to play to not get injured.  Coronato was told to calm down after the big hit.  Saying that, the D don't look that well coached yet.  Change the system, but not give it enough time to implement it.  Couple of games at most where we have all the regular D in place.  

So, either this was a complete lack of try or it's going to take a month of regular season to sort it out.  I'm not as worried about offense right now, since I think we have several options for the top 9.  4th line is still a concern with what we have left.  

The goaltending may actually benefit from the lack of steady play.  We had stellar goaltending in the first few months of 21/22 which is when we are typically a mess.  We will see.  Wasn't super impressed with the effort in front of the goalie last night and Markstrom gave up a couple he should have had.  

This is my biggest issue. What should Markstrom have had? The first goal with Boeser having all day to take away his sight line? The 2nd with the breakaway straight down the pipe on a pass from their dman going from his net to center untouched? Or the 3rd one where where Kadri and Huberdeau didn't give a Satoshi Nakamoto about safely getting the puck out of their zone/Andersson and Kadri leaving a guy wide open behind them while they frothed to go north?

The blame Markstrom thing has gotten downright pathetic. Look at your Blockchaining players. They look way worse than the goalie.

And are we just going to gift perennial 3rd liner Mangiapane a spot? Where even is he? Lavishing in being guaranteed a spot?

JFC this team...but worse, the fans that blame the goalie for that thing called your players. What did they muster, 18 shots?

I get preseason, but we're at the end of it. You'd think, just effing maybe, you don't look exactly like last year. Score 1 lousy goal and your goalie is the problem.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

This is my biggest issue. What should Markstrom have had? The first goal with Boeser having all day to take away his sight line? The 2nd with the breakaway straight down the pipe on a pass from their dman going from his net to center untouched? Or the 3rd one where where Kadri and Huberdeau didn't give a Satoshi Nakamoto about safely getting the puck out of their zone/Andersson and Kadri leaving a guy wide open behind them while they frothed to go north?

The blame Markstrom thing has gotten downright pathetic. Look at your Blockchaining players. They look way worse than the goalie.

And are we just going to gift perennial 3rd liner Mangiapane a spot? Where even is he? Lavishing in being guaranteed a spot?

JFC this team...but worse, the fans that blame the goalie for that thing called your players. What did they muster, 18 shots?

I get preseason, but we're at the end of it. You'd think, just effing maybe, you don't look exactly like last year. Score 1 lousy goal and your goalie is the problem.

Lets not pretend there isnt reason for concern, this season hant started so I'm not pulling out the pitchfork on anyone yet. As much as last season may have been an anomaly so may have been the season before.  What stands out to me the most is during the Vezina caliber season is there were alot of times where Marky was left out to dry but still came up with a big save. There were more than a few times where you could say he stole the game.

Last year I would say there were more games where the opposite happened. Numerous mis-plays behind the net, a noticeable amount of first shot in occurrences, the overall sense that something wasnt right. These are hard to ignore even for the most flame colored glasses fan. 

Even though there will always those who will never be satisfied with his performance I'm hoping for "average" this year, dare I say even "above average"?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Vintage Markstrom saves one of two of those.  First shot goals always set the team back.  60 seconds in and the team shows it's not ready.  I'm not here hanging anything on the goalie for the loss.  As I said, he gets better with more shots on net.  He certainly did in 21/22.  TBH, even last year to start he was good for the first stretch of games.  

Right now, I am a little concerned with the pairings.  They haven't exactly looked like they were ready for regular season play.  Yup, the F bear a ton of respionsibility.  But, since it means nothing right now other than looking good in pre-season, I will hold any real criticism for the season.  

I think we should keep Dube with Kadri and Ruzicka.

Put Coronato with Huberdeau and Lindholm.

Govich with Backlund and Mange or Coleman.

4th line with what is left.

I probably had a different opinion of the top line, but I think Coronato may be special.

Has looked like he is ready more than the rest of the F.

Lindholm is smart enough defensively to make up for him.

Govich hasn't found a niche that works for me yet.

I honestly think we need to trade Mangiapane for a real top 6 player.

He's not close to Dube in skills.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Vintage Markstrom saves one of two of those.  First shot goals always set the team back.  60 seconds in and the team shows it's not ready.  I'm not here hanging anything on the goalie for the loss.  As I said, he gets better with more shots on net.  He certainly did in 21/22.  TBH, even last year to start he was good for the first stretch of games.  

Right now, I am a little concerned with the pairings.  They haven't exactly looked like they were ready for regular season play.  Yup, the F bear a ton of respionsibility.  But, since it means nothing right now other than looking good in pre-season, I will hold any real criticism for the season.  

I think we should keep Dube with Kadri and Ruzicka.

Put Coronato with Huberdeau and Lindholm.

Govich with Backlund and Mange or Coleman.

4th line with what is left.

I probably had a different opinion of the top line, but I think Coronato may be special.

Has looked like he is ready more than the rest of the F.

Lindholm is smart enough defensively to make up for him.

Govich hasn't found a niche that works for me yet.

I honestly think we need to trade Mangiapane for a real top 6 player.

He's not close to Dube in skills.

I agree on Mangiapane but for different reasons.

I think he has the skills but his skating (balance in particular) doesn't match.

Dube makes it look easy skating-wise in comparison.

On 10/6/2023 at 3:59 PM, The_People1 said:

Oof worse part is the injuries are happening to key prospects.  

This is bad.

Injuries are a given.

The last player you want to get injured is your 1st round pick.

Hoping it's minor, and if it's not I hope it is given the attention it deserves. 

The first round pick injury bug run deepeth with the Flames,  they need to look at that.  Pelika, the consensus bpa in that draft, was nowhere to be seen in the NHL preseason and is perfectly healthy.

Just sayin

13 hours ago, jjgallow said:

This is bad.

Injuries are a given.

The last player you want to get injured is your 1st round pick.

Hoping it's minor, and if it's not I hope it is given the attention it deserves. 

The first round pick injury bug run deepeth with the Flames,  they need to look at that.  Pelika, the consensus bpa in that draft, was nowhere to be seen in the NHL preseason and is perfectly healthy.

Just sayin

Pellika plays in the SHL so was unavailable. But the Wings did lose Carter Mazur to IR in game 1 of the prospect tourney:(

21 hours ago, conundrumed said:

He gets paid to stop

every…at 6mil he’s stopping AHL level at best…at 6mil he should keeping a GAA well above .900 regardless of the the team in front, period.

if he needs better players in front of h him we can get that from Vladar at 1/2 the cost.

point in case look at MAF since Pits, he had questionable teams

in front of him a few times and played way better than Marksman has, whom has actually had a better (on paper) team in front of him…at 6mil i

expect MFA level or better, we are not getting that from Markstrom.

having said all that, the team

core is way too old, far too many 30+ guys in front of and including the paid to be (but not playing at) #1 goalie. 

I’m of the mind set this team is a total write off for the next 7 ish years. It’s not like we haven’t endured this stuff in the past it’s what Cgy ownership dose, as fans we are conditioned to accept it until the foundation rots out completely…I figure they are on course for that now as there are not Enough players who can return a huge amount of young players and or picks to do a quick turn around…we are definitely watching a slow painful death of this team now over the next 7 or so years.

18 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Everyone will be ecstatic to know that Markstrom's actual salary this year is $8mil.

And I heard some hack from SN suggest he was the highest paid goalie in the NHL.

Bob says hi.

But some context for Markstrom is due.

Last year he made $8M actual and had his worse season.

His best season he made $4M actual.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Pellika plays in the SHL so was unavailable. But the Wings did lose Carter Mazur to IR in game 1 of the prospect tourney:(

Ugh.  You made me look at how he's doing.   Absolutely on fire (Pelika)  😕

Good thing my forte is forgiving and forgetting

Quite unfortunate about Mazur, he may have been ready for a spot.   But gotta be extra careful on that RW when you're not a RW (didn't see the injury)

53 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Ugh.  You made me look at how he's doing.   Absolutely on fire (Pelika)  😕

Good thing my forte is forgiving and forgetting

Quite unfortunate about Mazur, he may have been ready for a spot.   But gotta be extra careful on that RW when you're not a RW (didn't see the injury)

not that I know anything, but I wanted someone like Pelika too. I'm tired of the flames going off Board at the draft like they have been doing. 

Can Honzek turn it around? by all accounts he sounds a lot like Ruzicka.. Not that anyone has said, but just going off of how it sounds... I don't actually know though so...  That doesn't sit well. 

4 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

not that I know anything, but I wanted someone like Pelika too. I'm tired of the flames going off Board at the draft like they have been doing. 

Can Honzek turn it around? by all accounts he sounds a lot like Ruzicka.. Not that anyone has said, but just going off of how it sounds... I don't actually know though so...  That doesn't sit well. 

I supported Conroy on draft day, really based on the premise that nobody could be stupid enough to go off the board when Pellika was still availalble.   Not unless they knew something we didn't.

I am still clinging to that hope that maybe he knew something and this is going to turn around.   But it's not looking good right now.    For me it wasn't just the off the board part.   To me it's painfully obvious that we need to start building around the net as fast as possible. Pellika was that blue-chip piece needed for it.   We'd be halfway done that process now had we drafted him.    

Really hoping to be wrong and got all of my fingers crossed that Hozek tears a hole in the space time continuum this year.  he kind of needs to, to justify taking him over Pellika.

4 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I supported Conroy on draft day, really based on the premise that nobody could be stupid enough to go off the board when Pellika was still availalble.   Not unless they knew something we didn't.

I am still clinging to that hope that maybe he knew something and this is going to turn around.   But it's not looking good right now.    For me it wasn't just the off the board part.   To me it's painfully obvious that we need to start building around the net as fast as possible. Pellika was that blue-chip piece needed for it.   We'd be halfway done that process now had we drafted him.    

Really hoping to be wrong and got all of my fingers crossed that Hozek tears a hole in the space time continuum this year.  he kind of needs to, to justify taking him over Pellika.

we need a transition plan away from Hanifin. Weegar is good and so is Andersson. But right now, in a year that's all we are going to have. Keeping Hanifin this year bought us a year. 

I get that they thought Kylington would be back, but I think he is done. Maybe with the Flames, but he hasn't played a lot of hockey and to expect him to play at the level he did for that one season. One season. That isn't happening. I don't know, maybe he was ready the season before but had his mental thing then why he didn't play.

either way, the defence doesn't have a great transition plan and it could have looked a lot better than it does now. 

Hopefully Honzek can play. It took Draisaitl how many years to look like he does now. Not saying Honzek will be that, but can he get to a high level? 

this last draft I was expecting a 65-85 point F or a 45+ point D, due to the rumoured deep draft.