Training Camp 2023

Thebrewcrew

Until we see more information, we can’t really suspect why Kylington didn’t clear medical. It could be as simple as he flew in last night and was jet lagged. Could be that his O2 levels are not good enough as Calgary is at higher elevation than most cities in Sweden. There is no mention of suspension due to league drug policy so it is likely a smaller issue this time around. He is at camp, just not cleared today.

Hopefully cleared soon so he can get up to speed.

6 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I think they are trying spread out the minutes on the back end and also limit Tanev’s minutes to try and keep him in the lineup. This also maintains the L-R.

Looks like they might be giving Rooney an opportunity to earn that 4th line center job and making Coronato earn his way onto the roster.

What I read was that Tanev was supposed to start with Kylington, but subbed out due to his personal request.

I hope it's not lengthy, but it may just be dealing with something last minute.

I didn't get the sense it would be for much more than a day.

Who knows though, right?

5 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Second group. Looks like they are going to give Ruzicka a shot at top 6 minutes, the talent is there. Oesterle gets Kylington’s spot on the 3rd pair.

Well, it makes sense that a guy who was scoring at a p/gp pace would be looked at to compete for a top 6 spot.

Take the opportunity and kill it.  

Sorry guys, I know this is totally not on topic but I didn’t want to start a whole new thread for this: are these message boards accessible at all on the new Flames app, or the “old” NHL app, or only through the Flames website (how I’m accessing them now)? Just trying to figure out best way to navigate.

also, so that I can be just a little bit on topic: SOOOO ready for hockey that I’m gobbling up every little bit of news and content no matter how trivial. Excited to see the “fresh start” Flames. Not expecting much, just want to be entertained and see them having some fun. Cautiously optimistic that Hubie and Marky return closer to form. Have been excited for return of Kyl, really hope he’s good and we get to see him pick up where he left off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pcs said:

Sorry guys, I know this is totally not on topic but I didn’t want to start a whole new thread for this: are these message boards accessible at all on the new Flames app, or the “old” NHL app, or only through the Flames website (how I’m accessing them now)? Just trying to figure out best way to navigate.

also, so that I can be just a little bit on topic: SOOOO ready for hockey that I’m gobbling up every little bit of news and content no matter how trivial. Excited to see the “fresh start” Flames. Not expecting much, just want to be entertained and see them having some fun. Cautiously optimistic that Hubie and Marky return closer to form. Have been excited for return of Kyl, really hope he’s good and we get to see him pick up where he left off.

You can just bookmark this website on your phone's web browser and open the full version.  The webpage is formatted to the phone's aspect ratio.  Passwords are kept with cookies so you can be always signed in.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

You can just bookmark this website on your phone's web browser and open the full version.  The webpage is formatted to the phone's aspect ratio.  Passwords are kept with cookies so you can be always signed in.

About that...the aspect ratio has been tiny on my phone for about 2 weeks now. Comes up on the left, 1/4 of the full screen. It's the only site I have doing that.

Love the gameday thread separation though, that needed to happen.

9 hours ago, sak22 said:

I know, be depressed on your own time, he belongs to us now.

This is the type of "me first" behaviour this team doesn't need! /s is for sarcasm in case anyone is way too serious all of the time.

Not sarcasm: I know many are clamoring for his return, just keep in mind that it's a long, hard road and he's not out of the woods yet. There will still undoubtedly be triggers for him to recognize.

So based on the lines from yesterday it looks like the current lines would look like:

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Sharangovich 

Ruzicka-Kadri-Dube

Mangiapane-Backlund-Coleman

Pelletier-Rooney-Duehr 

Hanifin-Andersson

Zadorov-Weegar

Kylington-Tanev

Oesterle

Markstrom

Vladar

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

So based on the lines from yesterday it looks like the current lines would look like:

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Sharangovich 

Ruzicka-Kadri-Dube

Mangiapane-Backlund-Coleman

Pelletier-Rooney-Duehr 

Hanifin-Andersson

Zadorov-Weegar

Kylington-Tanev

Oesterle

Markstrom

Vladar

I wonder what's going to happen with Rooney.  He never managed to stick last year, though to his defense, he played almost exclusively with Lucic and a bigger RW.  Not exactly a great fit.  This lineup would also imply that Coronato is not making the team.  

Not sure how I feel about the D pairs.  Weegar-Andersson may be better.

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I wonder what's going to happen with Rooney.  He never managed to stick last year, though to his defense, he played almost exclusively with Lucic and a bigger RW.  Not exactly a great fit.  This lineup would also imply that Coronato is not making the team.  

I think the thing with Rooney is that he can skate and put him on a line with other players who can skate and you have a more effective energy line.

I am fine with the D pairs, it keeps the lefty righty combos. Hanifin and Andersson did well together.

28 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Rooney is Hanifin's cousin if I remember correctly??  Maybe Hanifin will stay long term if we treat Rooney a bit better.

TD, I don’t think it is re-signing Hanifin at all cost. As I posted earlier, of the 8 roster D, only 2 have contracts past this season. Not all will be re-signed. But if you don’t re-sign any, and prospects are not ready yet, then you need to sign FAs to have a roster, likely meaning over paying. Also an essentially brand new D core.

As long as Hanifin’s contract is reasonable, then you bring him back, but not at 8mil + for 6+ years. I am also fine bringing Zadorov back unless he falls apart this season.

Unless Kylington kills it this year, I don’t think he gets re-upped, but that is a gut feeling. Anyways, Connie has decisions to make.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bosn111 said:

TD, I don’t think it is re-signing Hanifin at all cost. As I posted earlier, of the 8 roster D, only 2 have contracts past this season. Not all will be re-signed. But if you don’t re-sign any, and prospects are not ready yet, then you need to sign FAs to have a roster, likely meaning over paying. Also an essentially brand new D core.

As long as Hanifin’s contract is reasonable, then you bring him back, but not at 8mil + for 6+ years. I am also fine bringing Zadorov back unless he falls apart this season.

Unless Kylington kills it this year, I don’t think he gets re-upped, but that is a gut feeling. Anyways, Connie has decisions to make.

The 2 guys signed are solid.  Of the remaining pending UFA's I would rank as follows:

Hanifin

Tanev

Kylington

Zadorov

Oesterle

If Tanev comes back, which he seems like he would, he's signing lower cost.

Kylington would be stupid to let walk.

One season played, and while I see them holding off for now, he isn't close to his ceiling.

Zadorov seems to be a young-ish big defender that we need.

Not quite the same level as Tanev, but it hasn't been his game to date.

I don't think re-signing is difficult to get done as the players seem to be fine with the team.

Hanifin is not going to sign here unless we overpay, so I;m not going there.

$7M is not reasonable, unless he absolutely shows as being our top D and we keep him to the end.

No trade would be a bit of a waste in that case.  The $7M would be tough to swallow next season.

I don't know how many of us are in the same boat here. I dunno if cross is as well. But something about the last two years of the Flames has made me extremely apathetic, mixed with life, world events and family emergencies, I'm just so in a space where this is just not important. There are important things going on, and the fact the team is doing nothing and not much change feels to coincide with apathy. 

• Like 1

I agree for the most part TD. The difference is that I have more questions about both Tanev and Kylington than any other D (including Osterle).

My question about Tanev is around his health. Due to his style of play and injury history, what does his body have left? He has only ever played 1 full season (it was for Calgary). At 33, most seasons having lost at least a quarter of games to injury says a lot. Would he sign for 3 mil or less in order to account for average time spent hurt? I don’t think he would. He has 1 more contract before 35, so I would think he wants 1 more good pay day. 4.5 x 3 likely the ask, even if 3 - 3.5 x 2 would be more reasonable.

Kylington had 1 good NHL season and then missed a full season for personal reasons. Then missed medical to open training camp. Will he be the same player as he was? Will he prove himself this season? If he struggles, or at least shows no better than 3rd pair, I can’t see him get offered more than 2 mil. It is up to him what success he has.

Zadorov and Hanifin are what they are. We know what we get with them. So it is really a wait and see what happens for D contracts.

• Like 1