Training Camp 2023

Thebrewcrew

3 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I supported Conroy on draft day, really based on the premise that nobody could be stupid enough to go off the board when Pellika was still availalble.   

I wanted ASP or Barlow.

The Flames say their comp for Honzek is Rantanen. That's aiming awfully high. But if you get something close, you're probably happy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I wanted ASP or Barlow.

The Flames say their comp for Honzek is Rantanen. That's aiming awfully high. But if you get something close, you're probably happy.

Rantanen is a franchise winger.

Anything close would be a home run.

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I wanted ASP or Barlow.

It would need to ve to justify skipping Pellika and even then I think there could be huge questions if Pellika keeps this up

8 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I wanted ASP or Barlow.

There's a looong ways to go with all of the players. All could be gems or just missed. ARI took the heat for taking Simashev 6th, but I don't blame them. "He would have been there at their next pick" was the consensus. Not sure I agree. Reinbacher was just selected, Simashev was going to be next one way or the other. Their next pick of But at 12 is the serious headscratcher for me. I just don't really see a top 35 there, let alone 12th.

I'm really interested to see how the dmen shake out though.

My guess is always wrong, but it's:

Simashev

Reinbacher

Willander/Pellika - tied.

Then there are a bunch of dmen that could shine from rds 2-4.

It's all dev now, and lord knows Detroit loves to have Kronwall be foster-dad to dmen in Sweden. Pairings of Wallinder-Seider and Edvinsson-SandinPellika would likely be superfun in a few years. But 3 out of those 4 need work on the defensive side. Skating and puck-moving isn't a problem.

Seider will need a letter soon. Just needed his physical game to improve and he's noticeably doing that.

Chiarot, on the other hand, that contract is a problem. We hope he's better this year, but that's unlikely. Edvinsson or Johansson can literally have that spot right now. We can accept new NHLers making those kind of mistakes.

As for ASP, nothing says grain of salt like the Detroit Red Wings and the SHL's "Top 10 players <21yo". They should just buy a team there.lol

I'm a little surprised Detroit took him. I expected Moore or Barlow. USNTDP is about a 1/2 an hr from Detroit. Then they took more giant Dmen. Augustine was a solid G pick. Especially that Bednar currently looks a lot better than Cossa, who desperately needs a psychiatrist with him to start camps on time.

Here is step 1 of the roster juggling that going to occur in the next 12-24 hrs. Klapka, Solvyov and Schwindt to the Wranglers. This is going to allow them to get an active roster that is compliant once they move Pelletier and Rooney to LTIR. They’ll likely recall 1-2 of those players

So, Hunt and Gilbert were the best "prospects" available to the Flames I guess?  Couple of open spots to drafted players?  I guess that many years trolling the NHL as a tweener sets you apart from little to no NHL experience.  From what I saw during camp, neither of these guys were consistently the better players on the ice.

Doesn't really matter in the big picture, other than the dept is severly lacking past the 3rd line and 2nd pairing.  

Shouldn’t put too much stock in the opening roster. With the cap, and especially given the cap over the last few years, most of the decisions are based on cap and flexibility and not what players deserve/don’t deserve. 

it’s a roster to meet a deadline and really not much more. 

Nice this is a good move. I’ve liked Greer for a while. He’s your modern day 4th liner. Big, brings energy but can still be trusted at 5on 5. Limited upside but in that role he’s an upgrade to what they have. 

think fans will like him and Huskas gonna really like him. Could tell Conroy and Huska weren’t feeling great about their toughness level. This helps quite a bit

11 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Nice this is a good move. I’ve liked Greer for a while. He’s your modern day 4th liner. Big, brings energy but can still be trusted at 5on 5. Limited upside but in that role he’s an upgrade to what they have. 

think fans will like him 

Huska likes him, and suggested his usage determined his output.  Greer was always mentioned in BOS broadcasts, so he does impact play.  I called him a tweener elsewhere because of his limited usage over the years for his age.  As a 4th liner, it's not exactly a big concern over the AHL prospects, other than not giving them a spot sue to their performance this camp.  The opposite is true of Greer who has no minutes playing in our camp.