Training Camp 2023

Thebrewcrew

5 hours ago, Kulstad said:

Surprised there's no announcement on his captaincy, unless they're saving that for opening day.  There was tons of public speculation and rumour that his re-signing was tied to the "C"

I'm not even sure if that was driven by him. Seems like all of his teammates wanted him to be the C. Virtually all of them said he was the de facto captain. I know I'm taking liberties with that, but mainly accurate.lol

I wasn't much of a fan of re-signing him, because I didn't think 2 years for $9mil was in the realm of possibility. That's tidy af, I don't know Satoshi Nakamoto!

Heck, if he's still effective at 37, extend him yearly from there if he likes!

4 hours ago, JTech780 said:

They can add an addendum to the contract.

Seriously, I didn't think they could open up contracts once signed.

Not for an expiring one.

It's not a big deal for me, but for him it means he doesn't get traded.

Had a M-NTC, but this solidifies his situation.

Family comes first before cup chasing.

44 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I'm not even sure if that was driven by him. Seems like all of his teammates wanted him to be the C. Virtually all of them said he was the de facto captain. I know I'm taking liberties with that, but mainly accurate.lol

I wasn't much of a fan of re-signing him, because I didn't think 2 years for $9mil was in the realm of possibility. That's tidy af, I don't know Satoshi Nakamoto!

Heck, if he's still effective at 37, extend him yearly from there if he likes!

He was announced as the captain today.

Like you say, it's a good contract.

You don't get many 2-way C's with that level of play for 4.5.

39 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I think it's concerning there isn't a lot of buzz around the team. But I'm basing it off the chatter in here. It is where I come for flames news now because I prefer the take in here over the media opinions. 

Yeah, I think that some of it has to do with the passing of Chris Snow. It's a heavy camp this year.

Love.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Looking at Twitter, looks as though Rooney was injured in practice today.

Dryden Hunt might be the favourite to win a job, if Rooney is out. 

I don't mind that at all. I think Hunt has had a good camp. I should mention that I never expected to cheer on Dryden Hunt. So he has proven me wrong and I like that!

14 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Not a bad trade return for Zohorna lol.

It's quite funny with Zahorna now back with the Pens.

Hopefully something from nothing. At Dubas' expense would make it even funnier. God knows he's a wunderkind according to too many hockey analysts. Has no one been to SSM?

3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Ottawa is putting Bernard-Docker and Sokolov on waivers tomorrow. Sokolov is interesting, 6’5” RHS winger, 59 points in the AHL last year, 23 years old.

A RHS LW......Interesting.  Honestly, all I know is his stats, never seen him play.

He would be a cheap add, but I'm not sure if he would fit.

Looking at the locks to be on the roster:

Hubey, Lindy, Govich, Kadri, Dube, Mange, Backlund, Coleman

Has looked like they belong:

Ruzicka, Coronato

A bit up and down:

Duehr, Hunt, Rooney

IMHO, likely get sent down to junior or AHL:

Honzek, Zary, Schwindt, Pettersen, Klapka, Ciona, Jones*, Bishop*

* waived today

All that said, you could claim him now and if he fits, you have a 13th F.  Otherwise waive him again.

Low risk, but I doubt we make the move.

Also, others may be better to target.

this is cool for Phillips. He’s had a good

camp.

I remember Austin Czarnik scoring a hat trick in the preseason. Some thought the Flames had the next Marchessault.

I hope Phillips gets a shot, but I don’t know if his ceiling is much more than a Czarnik/Gerbe. You have to be really, really special to be an effective NHLer at that height and weight

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

this is cool for Phillips. He’s had a good

camp.

I remember Austin Czarnik scoring a hat trick in the preseason. Some thought the Flames had the next Marchessault.

I hope Phillips gets a shot, but I don’t know if his ceiling is much more than a Czarnik/Gerbe. You have to be really, really special to be an effective NHLer at that height and weight

Now envision a Flames player doing what Pastrnak did there. It would be pure fire and brimstone from fans.lol

That's a close to full team roster from Washington. Would Phillips still clear waivers with his solid camp?

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Now envision a Flames player doing what Pastrnak did there. It would be pure fire and brimstone from fans.lol

That's a close to full team roster from Washington. Would Phillips still clear waivers with his solid camp?

I don't think they actually need to waive him.  If they do, there are a lot of NHL teams in the same boat so the wire will be busy as teams pare down their rosters.

Could be an interesting game tonight.  A mostly AHL team vs the Oilers A team (mostly).  They are still trying out Lavoie, Malone plus trying to see what they have in Erne and Pederson :

I don't really care about the end result.  Score a bunch on Skinner.  Sew the seeds of doubt in their goalies (again).  Big test for Poirier and Solovyov.  Zadorov should have some fun targeting Oilers.

On 10/4/2023 at 10:00 PM, travel_dude said:

On a side note, the AHL Flames are tied with the Oilers A squad after the first period.

The Young Wings nearly devastated the Leafs starting roster in Toronto last night, but alas, fell 4-3 in OT.

A major, near life-altering event narrowly avoided.lol

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

The Young Wings nearly devastated the Leafs starting roster in Toronto last night, but alas, fell 4-3 in OT.

A major, near life-altering event narrowly avoided.lol

As much as the Flames (AHL version) looked good for a period, there was no chance they were going to win this.  Pre-season games seem to be s game of bait and switch.  You play at home against a rival, they send the B squad.  You play on the road, you send a C squad.  Don't want to expose any change in your game plan and barely want the other team to see your starter.  It's juice top the home fans, so they will spend stupid money on Oilers merch.  Here comes the cup.