Flames 22/23 Lineup

travel_dude

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

This comes down to expectations. I certainly woudln't argue they've been "great" they've been pretty good so are we ok with pretty good? Can Backlund/Coleman put the puck in the net enough to justify having Huberdeau there?

The way the Flames are built i'm just not sure they can afford to have 3 good lines and not having a great one in there somewhere. 

Oh totally agreed we need that stud line because we don't have enough scoring talent to spread 3 lines.  Just saying, Huberdeau-Lindholm didn't work the first time.

Huberdeau-Kadri-Lindholm makes sense as a last and final resort... Because, it could be a stud #1 line.  Then the other lines are more shut down and two-way types.

Just now, robrob74 said:

A good way to weed on those who are actually dialled into the day-to-day happenings... LOL

We were discussing it here, and I saw the tweet.

I posted before using due diligence.

When I checked into it a bit further, it was a re-tweet.

But should have caught the reference to AHL Heat, which is passe.

Not used yet to the Wranglers.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

Oh totally agreed we need that stud line because we don't have enough scoring talent to spread 3 lines.  Just saying, Huberdeau-Lindholm didn't work the first time.

Huberdeau-Kadri-Lindholm makes sense as a last and final resort... Because, it could be a stud #1 line.  Then the other lines are more shut down and two-way types.

It wouldn't be exactly like last year, but very similar to having Gaudreau, Lindholm, Tkackuk. 

The players are similar but moved around. Maybe it gives Hubie that LS C to past to, and he can trick pass to Kadri and catch Lindholm on the trails. I think another thing that has been hindering is the talent and pace aren't matching up with Huberdeau so far this season. While he was a East-West player, I think they still played with more pace in Florida. 

14 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

It wouldn't be exactly like last year, but very similar to having Gaudreau, Lindholm, Tkackuk. 

The players are similar but moved around. Maybe it gives Hubie that LS C to past to, and he can trick pass to Kadri and catch Lindholm on the trails. I think another thing that has been hindering is the talent and pace aren't matching up with Huberdeau so far this season. While he was a East-West player, I think they still played with more pace in Florida. 

I think he thinks the game really naturally and guys with him have to stop over-thinking and just go, if that makes sense. Sutter's 'D first above all else' likely makes everyone a little too tentative. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Ya top loading has its pros and cons.  Having that top line certainly establishes pace and respect from your opponents.  But of course, that leaves you wide open depth wise.  We had decent depth last season with Mangiapane getting the job done.

This year, Ruzicka is the new Mangiapane but we don't have that top line. 

I'd rather top load I think.

46 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I just don't think this is a fair conclusion. Small sample size and there was a lot going on at the time, mostly Huberdeau being hurt. 

I have my doubts Huberdeau-kadri can be an effective pair. 

1 hour ago, Heartbreaker said:

I got really excited about that tweet, and tried to verify it, and I found this - which is pretty interesting, too.

Love.

Made worse by the fact that there is clearly talent in the A that can help. I don't think there is another organization out there that would rather see guys like Brett Ritchie and Trevor Lewis get ice time over their first round pick who was on the AHL all rookie team last year. 

I know it's the trade off you get when you hire Sutter, but it doesn't make it less frustrating. Pelletier should have been on this time out of camp IMO. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Made worse by the fact that there is clearly talent in the A that can help. I don't think there is another organization out there that would rather seem guys like Brett Ritchie and Trevor Lewis get ice time over their first round pick who was on the AHL all rookie team last year. 

I know it's the trade off you get when you hire Sutter, but it doesn't make it less frustrating. Pelletier should have been on this time out of camp IMO. 

Even though he had a "bad" camp, there is no reason why everyone was excluded from the AHL forward bunch.

He did start slow in the AHL, but has heated up with Phillips.

What bothers me is that Sutter uses the camp as the only thing to gauge a player.

Very seldom does a guy get called up and used where he makes the most sense.

Ruzicka spent time on the 4th line last year.

Deserving maybe, since he was not a strong FO person.

So, right now, the struggle is to bury the puck.

Sutter admits that scoring is tough, but is otherwise not harsh on the team.

In public anyway.

Yet we have two players that consistently have put the puck in the net or set it up.

Both somewhat similar in size to Mangiapane and Dube.

Neither struggling with consistency.

Then you have Zary who is NHL size and having a good bounce back.

Perhaps Sutter decided the identity was crash and bang with some talent.

We lost two players at the very least that brought that game with some scoring.

And we lost a player that (when he wasn't broken) could hit the net.

The 4th line used to be a threat to injure, now they are a threat to be scored on.

Most teams' 4th lines outplay our 4th line and some give trouble to our middle 6.

Not good. 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Made worse by the fact that there is clearly talent in the A that can help. I don't think there is another organization out there that would rather seem guys like Brett Ritchie and Trevor Lewis get ice time over their first round pick who was on the AHL all rookie team last year. 

Pelletier is our most NHL-ready prospect by a fair bit, I'd say. Great 2-way play.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Some alternate lines today.

Not sure I like Mange on RW.

#Flames lines and pairings at Monday practice:

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Toffoli

Dube-Kadri-Mangiapane

Ruzicka-Backlund-Coleman

Lucic-Lewis-Ritchie

Rooney  

Hanifin-Andersson

Weegar-Tanev

Zadorov-Stone

Mackey

Markstrom

Vladar

I don’t have a problem with Mangepane on RW, but I do if he is expected to be the primary playmaker, as it’s not his forte.  Instead of running up the boards and using that miserable button hook, and losing the puck, he need to play his strength.  Positioning in the slot and snapping the shots were his strengths last year.

15 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Pelletier is our most NHL-ready prospect by a fair bit, I'd say. Great 2-way play.

I get the buzz on Phillips, i really do and there is a part of me that would like to see him get a shot but Pelletier-Zary-Phillips would be my call up order. 

I think Zary is right there too. Playing great and I think could plug in anywhere in this lineup. Such a smart hockey player. 

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I get the buzz on Phillips, i really do and there is a part of me that would like to see him get a shot but Pelletier-Zary-Phillips would be my call up order. 

I think Zary is right there too. Playing great and I think could plug in anywhere in this lineup. Such a smart hockey player. 

So, it's probably safe to say that RW is the greatest need right now.

Dube and Mangiapane not cutting it in that spot.

Coleman can seem to handle it.

I suppose the callups really depend on need.

RW is the biggest need, so Zary followed by Phillips makes sense.

Pretty stacked on LW and LHS's.

I don't know that Pelletier has had much time at RW, and maybe it isn't a big deal.

Assuming we call up a player for the top 9.

What makes sense is to drop Dube to C the 4th line.

Lewis sits.

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Toffoli

Ruzicka-Kadri-Zary

Mangiapane-Backlund-Coleman

Lucic-Dube-Ritchie

If you went with Pelletier, not sure, but might still be able to use the same combos.

What really stands out for me is that the 4th line is ineffective.

Lucic hasn't ever been healthy scratched in Calgary.

Lewis is doing little to help get the 4th line out of the mud, and is not effective on the PK. 

My problem becomes who comes out of the top 9 to bring a guy up from the AHL? For me the issue isn’t so much who is in the top 9 it’s more how do we get more out of the talent that is already there. There is plenty of talent in that top 9. I could see an argument for adding a legit top 6 RW, but I am not sure that Phillips is that guy right now, he could be for sure. 

I think that Treliving needs to keep looking for upgrades via trades. Find another shooter.