Flames 22/23 Lineup

travel_dude

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

It's not a game day so it's not worth freaking out over but its hard to have words for Lucic in the top 6.

But putting the Mang-Backs-Coleman line back is super intriguing. They were dynamite last year. 

If be really cool if they could just swap Lucic and Phillips. 

So.. Looch scores a goal (that if it wasn't deflected off of Karlsson would have mised the nest completely) and now he's the missing piece to the top 6?

26 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Can we just try Huby-Lindholm-Dube already? If only to humour me?lol

Lucic can do no wrong evidently.

If that was the case he wouldn't have sat for 3 straight.  I don't like the thought of him up there, but I'll save my disappointment for if that is the plan for tomorrow night.

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

It's not a game day so it's not worth freaking out over but its hard to have words for Lucic in the top 6.

But putting the Mang-Backs-Coleman line back is super intriguing. They were dynamite last year. 

If be really cool if they could just swap Lucic and Phillips. 

Zadorov has been bad lately too.  Just been caught watching the puck on several goals against and just being a pylon out there.  Passes have gone right through him like he's not even there.  He's always been a second pairing guy at best but lately should play much further down the depth chart... Including in the press box.

17 hours ago, conundrumed said:

This is exactly what I would do too. the way Dube has played the last few weeks is the profile that I think that line needs. 

37 minutes ago, cross16 said:

This is exactly what I would do too. the way Dube has played the last few weeks is the profile that I think that line needs. 

It's what I've wanted from the outset, but it seems like Dube's mistakes and finishing woes get magnified waay more than everyone else's. The thing about not finishing, is at least he creates those opportunities.

My hardest eye right now is on Toffoli's incredibly bad skating, with Mangiapane 2nd as it feels like he might be reverting to his mean as a 20 goal guy.

I want to keep the Mang-Backs-Coleman line together.

I feel like Mang has too much weight of expectation on him, so keep him where he's comfortable and stop expecting 30+ goals every year. He does a lot of other things well.

Last year was really off, league-wide. Now it's back to stabilizing, post-covid, imho.

18 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I could have sworn we had done this.

But I would also follow it up with Ruzicka-Kadri-Toffoli.

And Mange-Backlund-Coleman.

And Zohorna-Lewis-Phillips.

In no real universe is Lucic a top 9 player.

Barely a 4th liner at this point.

He's on the aisle of the Jumbo jet and the flight attendants are giving him cookies and nuts.

2 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I want to keep the Mang-Backs-Coleman line together.

I feel like Mang has too much weight of expectation on him, so keep him where he's comfortable and stop expecting 30+ goals every year. He does a lot of other things well.

Last year was really off, league-wide. Now it's back to stabilizing, post-covid, imho.

Asking a guy that cements a spot with Backs and Coleman to move to a new line is odd.

He never really found chemistry with Dube and he's trying to get used to Kadri.

Use one consistent line if you need to shake up the others.

One consistent from last year that is.

59 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I could have sworn we had done this.

But I would also follow it up with Ruzicka-Kadri-Toffoli.

And Mange-Backlund-Coleman.

And Zohorna-Lewis-Phillips.

In no real universe is Lucic a top 9 player.

Barely a 4th liner at this point.

He's on the aisle of the Jumbo jet and the flight attendants are giving him cookies and nuts.

You're thinking the current Dube-Lindy-Toffoli. But there have been so many short-term combos that I can't even keep track. It's little wonder our play is so inconsistent.

Toffoli should be with Kadri imo. I'd be fine with Rosie on the left.

I don't like Toffoli on PP1 either. It sounds like I'm ragging on him, but I think he's just slotted above his actual skill level. Like Lewis and Lucic get too often. Leave those 3 where they deserve to be..holy jesus on a bicycle..

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

You're thinking the current Dube-Lindy-Toffoli. But there have been so many short-term combos that I can't even keep track. It's little wonder our play is so inconsistent.

Toffoli should be with Kadri imo. I'd be fine with Rosie on the left.

I don't like Toffoli on PP1 either. It sounds like I'm ragging on him, but I think he's just slotted above his actual skill level. Like Lewis and Lucic get too often. Leave those 3 where they deserve to be..holy jesus on a bicycle..

I can't honestly remember.  As it is, I see 3 players out there in a game and wonder if it's part of a line change, Sutter going nuts, or something messed up because of too many special teams play.  I do agree that PP1 is messed up with too many RHS's, and Toffoli is the obvious guy to go.  I differ on the issue though.  I think he is best in one of two situations; one the rush middle third of the ice, and onetimer from the off wing.  He's not built to move the puck and play in a dynamic PP.  The PP looks like they refuse to skate, must stay in one spot and pass to guys on their proper wing.  

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

So, some roster moves....

Gilbert moved to IR.

Tanev activated off IR.

DeSimone recalled (was prior to activating Tanev).

Zohorna sent to AHL.

Phillips remains, but scratched for 4th game in a row,

It appears that Zadorov is okay for tonight.

Why DeSimone over Meloche? We've seen DeSimone. I don't understand. Meloche should say, "just trade me". Makes no sense to me.

Meloche isn't below DeSimone by any stretch, but Sutter is as Sutter does, Meloche isn't one of "his" guys, however distant Sutter's stupid little motives.

29 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Why DeSimone over Meloche? We've seen DeSimone. I don't understand. Meloche should say, "just trade me". Makes no sense to me.

Meloche isn't below DeSimone by any stretch, but Sutter is as Sutter does, Meloche isn't one of "his" guys, however distant Sutter's stupid little motives.

DeSimone is 2nd in D scoring, just behind Poirier, who could have grabbed a roster spot out of camp.

He was probably equal to Stone and better than Mackey and Meloche.

As far as what he did then.

But Sutter does not want to make decisions like we keep up a waiver exempt player and waive someone.

Even though he says that.

Anyway, it's not like AHL scoring means anything to Sutter.

Make more sense in his mind to play a NHL player that scored kast in March over one that lead the AHL.

Sarcasm off

I found Sutter to be pretty open and blunt after the Tuesday game 2 of 2 bs Sharks win…

1. D is a work in progress

2. and I think I heard Huby and Weegar are still adjusting to his system.

3. they won draw that lead to goals.

those seem to make sense, I’d say all of

those issues have absolutely been the teams issue this year.

having said that, both Gaudreu and Tachuck struggled the first year Sutter got here (yes it was only like 1/2 a year but still)…the following year both had career all star years. So, this year could be a write off…or maybe the second 1/2 Weegar, Hubby and Kadri put it together and they go on a tear…who knows it’s possible? Probably not this year though, I’m thinking this year is a write off and next year we see a totally different team with few roster changes much like last year.

the only difference between the Gaudreau and Tachuck development vs the Weegar, Hubby and Kadri development is they are older than the Gaudreu and Tachuck development so the window for success is much smaller.

for now I think we had unreal expectations of a dominant team with air tight chemistry after a massive roster change…I for one am gonna let this year play out and see if the team improves, I’ll pass my expectations to next season before getting too worried.

having said that, they clearly need:

1.another too 6RW (maybe Kadri moves over?)

2. better FO Ctr for the 2nd line. (This can only be addressed either in FA or

trade and only after Lucic’s salary is off the books) 

3. another top 6D (this could be Kylington)

I said this many times before the started, manji has been tried way too many times on RW and has not had success, he should have been left alone on either the first or second line LW.

id like to see Sutter try:

Hubie/Lindholm/Kadri

Manji/Backlund/Toffoil 

Dube/Ruzicka/Pelletier 

Lucic/Lewis/Coleman 

Point here is to solidify your top 3 LW and Ctrs keep them the same and then move a few players around to see who fits with who….Honestly I’d not care if Kadri jelled as RW with Lucic on the 4th line (doubtful) but personally I think Kadri, Toffoil Pelletier and Coleman should be tested up and down the line up on the RW see if anyone clicks 

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Although I agree MP, next year brings another fun new element if the cap only increases by 1mil.

We'll have 6 roster spots to fill(3F, 3D) and only $3.5mil of cap space. And that puts Rooney back in.

Kinda screams Pelletier, Schwindt, Coronato. Players on ELCs, or...37yos playing out their twilight.

I think the reality is we can't afford 6D all making $3M+ per season.

Shutdown player like Backlund and Coleman 4.9 or over 5.

Our top C paid less than everyone except Toffoli and Dube.

We really couldn't afford Huberdeau's contract but couldn't afford to not sign him.

We just have too many player making close to $5M without ELC's replacing them.

The unfortunate thing is we aren't even seeing where they are in development now.

I don't care that a player is a pro rookie or hasn't played in the NHL.

They could be better than what we have in the bottom half or be an injury option.

Did I see enough from Phillips to make a real judgement?

Not even close.

Do I know what every other player on the main roster is?

Yup.  

Not to harp on Lucic, because I do like some of his games...

But, what is the point of basing lineups on one game.

He can change a game with a shift, but that works both ways.

We don't need the bruiser/grinding lines every game.

Ok, so based on tonight’s lineup, my concerns about Phillips are being realized. He was called up due to his success on the Wrangler’s, he played a couple of games, and now sits in obscurity!  So not only is he being sat here, his successful campaign in the Ahl is being ground to a halt!

can he not be called up and used, and then be returned for the times he isn’t going to play?  I thought that would be the benefit of having your development team in the same city?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, flames for life said:

Ok, so based on tonight’s lineup, my concerns about Phillips are being realized. He was called up due to his success on the Wrangler’s, he played a couple of games, and now sits in obscurity!  So not only is he being sat here, his successful campaign in the Ahl is being ground to a halt!

can he not be called up and used, and then be returned for the times he isn’t going to play?  I thought that would be the benefit of having your development team in the same city?

Given that there is a B2B tonight/tomorrow, there's a good chance Phillips slots in.

Of the two games, LA is the bigger risk since they are a playoff team.

Ritchie is likely to get the hook soon.

Hasn't been good.

Not that Lucic has played his way into the top 6, but he and Lewis has been impacting the game.

In a good way.

It's a HUGE mistake to play Lucic in the top 6,especially for extended minutes.

Sutter giving him some rope I guess.

One can hope, but I’m not confident, as that is not Sutter’s pattern.  Neither Richie, or for that matter Lewis, have been THAT impactful.  Frankly, Calgary needs speed on the bottom line, as well as size and grit.  Phillips does not have size, but he does have grit, and a positive possession ability.  He generates offensive zone face offs.

I’m sure using him on the 4th would not “hurt” his development or growth.

17 minutes ago, flames for life said:

One can hope, but I’m not confident, as that is not Sutter’s pattern.  Neither Richie, or for that matter Lewis, have been THAT impactful.  Frankly, Calgary needs speed on the bottom line, as well as size and grit.  Phillips does not have size, but he does have grit, and a positive possession ability.  He generates offensive zone face offs.

The excuse that Lucic has been in on two goals in 2 games is a joke.

He's not effective.  He's luck that he faced a crappy goalie and that he passed it to a sniper.

Against a crappy goalie.

Expect him next impact to the game to be being slow getting back and out there for a goal against.

We don't need him on the 4th line and the 2nd line would be okay with just the other 2 players.

44 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The excuse that Lucic has been in on two goals in 2 games is a joke.

He's not effective.  He's luck that he faced a crappy goalie and that he passed it to a sniper.

Against a crappy goalie.

Expect him next impact to the game to be being slow getting back and out there for a goal against.

We don't need him on the 4th line and the 2nd line would be okay with just the other 2 players.

I chuckled last game when one of the analysts state Lucic was good with Hubie because it gives him a chance to pass to the trailing winger (Lucic).  No mention that the only reason Lucic was trailing was he can’t keep up with the play!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, flames for life said:

Lewis has been fantastic this season in his role. Not just 5 on 5, where’s he’s been one of their most consistent players, he’s a key player for them on the PK. Not to mention his 7 goals are tied for 5th on the team. 

I get the development argument and want Phillips to play too, but Lewis has earned the he role and trust he has.