training camp

Horsman1

1 minute ago, jjgallow said:

Go a little easy on peeps too though lol,

Like.....if rotating coaches was the solution we'd surely have the cup by now.   Same for Sutter pulling GM moves.

The distance between your positivity and peep's objectivity is about ..  30 regular season games.     Don't knock it cause you'll be there soon enough

Oh great, another cheerleader chimes in.lol

Keep talking fellas.

8 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

You'll be chiming in with us soon enough lol.   That's actually when the cheerleading stops ;)

Honestly I can't wait because it's nowhere but up from rock bottom.

My being right will only be more satisfying.lol

Popular opinions are generally wrong. Can't wait to watch you back track. Always fun.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Or maybe because the coaching couldn't decide how they needed to coach this roster?

Sutter is literally laughing, I'm sure. Don't worry peeps, we'll be fine.

Until we need a new coach at least.

It's kinda funny to watch. Seems like every move, even shoring up G prospects, are Sutter's.

If he can get owns away from guiding BT, great.

Show a little faith. We desperately needed qualified role players before anything.

Why were we so average down the stretch last season with Sutter?  Because, he didn't have his type of players?  Because Monahan was injured?  Because he didn't have time to implement his system despite the fact he said the current system fitted this team?

Sutter got his role players, yes.  He didn't get his core.  So... we'll see.  Weak division so we are going to be in it to the very end.

On 9/23/2021 at 6:06 PM, The_People1 said:

We did play hard every game under Peters and Ward.

We just weren't that good.  

i don’t agree at all. When we did try we were at least a bit competitive. I feel they always started from behind and felt their way through the game, almost lulling the other team to sleep thinking they had games in the bag and then bam, they wake up and became possession players. Of course that was the years before, even in the second overall season. I don’t think there was much effort last year and if there was they’d play and then give up after a good ten minutes stretch.

On 9/23/2021 at 8:17 PM, The_People1 said:

That's the thing.  Just because the ice tilts towards our end and we get dominated, it doesn't mean we are coasting or aren't trying.  Other teams just walk all over us for entire periods at a time.  We just weren't that good.  Offense fails to sustain pressure in the offensive zone.  Defense starts chasing and gets tired.

i can understand your take but if you mean walking all over us by us standing around, I think the team stood around too much. I think the only skaters were Giordano, Tanev and Lindholm. And that was the problem, everyone else, especially last year, was coasting.

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Matches what I think of Dube. Last guy I'd wanna trade. He'll be wearing an "A" in this league, at minimum.

Against what many see, I think Sutter loves Dube and Valimaki. He's very good with young players, people just don't like his tactics.

Dube is an excellent player, ready to breakout imho.

i think they expected too much of Dube last year. Even if he played with Backlund last year, I think it was a better spot to develop him. It was only his 2nd year in the NHL and some people wanna make like he’s a disappointment. He’s still developing and they moved away from the trend they went with Mangiapane’s development. Even though Backlund was the 2nd line centre when Mange played there, they still insulated him with a veteran player who is good at making guys better…

I think last year could’ve been a year to keep Dube on the 3rd line. Try Mange with Monahan’s line… and kept Tkachuk with Backlund. But it is what it is, I just think the expectations of Dube would have been tempered by playing him 3rd line and we’d all be praising him for his development.

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

My being right will only be more satisfying.lol

Popular opinions are generally wrong. Can't wait to watch you back track. Always fun.

if Peeps, JJ, TMac, and I are popular… ok, There might be a few more… maybe we are the cool kids in here? 

I just want a competitive team. It’s hard watching a team play for a few minutes then suddenly look like they’ve forgotten how to play, or look like they don’t know how and then suddenly when behind the eight ball they now know they need to play. Games are not fun to watch when there isn’t an honest effort, or big gaffes occur too often. 

I can watch a bad team play if they actually try. I’m a Flames fan, that’s true to all of us. After the Cup win, and the slow death of that team and moving on, seeing them at least try was good enough for me. Did I want them to win? Yes, but I was proud that they never said die… 

I know I said that game 7 of Tampa was my favourite game, not for the first 40, but how they fought and tried for that last 20, I was nearly in tears with how they attacked. Wished they did that earlier, but if not for the Khabiboulin it might have been a different outcome. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, robrob74 said:

if Peeps, JJ, TMac, and I are popular… ok, There might be a few more… maybe we are the cool kids in here? 

I just enjoy teasing in good fun. 

JJ's been waxing me lately in this forum's hockey pool, so I have to get my shots in out of spite.lol

But yeah, if someone responds to me angrily when I tease, I'll put a like on their post that I'm not being nasty, just keeping it fun.

But at the end of the day, when we know we don't actually NEED Ritchie on the roster, we're a better team.

I like that we're fixing our bottom 6 first. Now our whole roster are NHL players, outside of Gudbranson, but I'll have to trust Sutter on that one. Maybe he can teach him how to play D effectively.

Richardson, Lewis and Pitlick. 

I may be on an island thinking how important a 6-8min/gm 4th line is, but I do. Was never a Ryan fan, at any price.

I like it now. Pitlick's going to love playing with Backlund. Our 3rd and 4th lines are fixed now imho. That helps the top 6 a lot. Now Sutter has really solid matchup options. He won't need to lean on any 1 line, he can roll out Backlund's line against 1st lines if he wants to get good matchups for our top 6.

I like what I see.

What I really can't wait for is a healthy Monahan to remind us that he's a really good player. Even with the bad hip, he didn't lose many PP draws. His injuries haven't been recurring same injury. He's a slot guy with a great shot, so he's been targeted. But we're deeper now. 

He'll have a big yr.

We didn't have big changes to the core so everyone's angry. But we had really good changes to the support cast.

Personally, that's what I wanted.

Stars can't be stars without a solid support cast. No star in this league does it alone. Except Kucherov and Panarin.lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Francis to Zadorov: Do you think you can fill a top 4 role after not doing so last year?

Zadorov: I was top 4 for 80% of last year. Do you guys even watch hockey?

Hahaha shred. Guess he knows we all hate Francis.

Now Francis will try to malign him...

I'm on board of having all of Francis's questions answered in that manner.  Or just ignore him completely during the media availabilities.

• Like 1

Lines have been really consistent so far, with just one change on D. We will see if they last the first few preseason games, but it's interesting to see Sutter stick with it through the first week. 

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Coleman: This line should match up better then the Monahan line against top competition. Interesting to see Sutter stick with Lindholm at C. 

Gaudreau-Monahan-Mangiapane: I am a bit surprised to see Sutter put a small player with Gaudreau/Monahan. But Mangiapane should handle the skill, he has the D game, and the work effort should be a good fit. 

Dube-Backlund-Pitlick: I don't love this line due to a lack of offense. If Dube takes a step they might generate some points, but barring that this line will struggle to score. They should be strong defensively though. 

Lucic-Richardson-Lewis: Good fourth line as long as they don't get mismatched with a high speed line. Lots of size, energy, and decent defensively. 

Ritchie: Obvious 13 forward. I just hope he doesn't end back up on the top line. 

Hanifin-Tanev: I like this much better then when Zadarov was with Tanev. It's a proven top 4 pairing and out best shot of having a legitimate top pairing option. 

Zadorov-Andersson: Unless these guys take a jump forward this line might struggle. It lacks speed overall. I do like the match if defense / offense. Hopefully both guys take it to another level this season. 

Valimaki-Gudbranson: This one is fine if they don't get caught against the top lines. Hopefully it clicks because Valamaki needs to find another level this season. Otherwise hopefully Sutter is ready to sit Gudbranson and bring up Stone (who was great with Valamaki last season) 

Kylington-Stone: Both are good 7D options. 

58 minutes ago, kehatch said:

Hanifin-Tanev: I like this much better then when Zadarov was with Tanev. It's a proven top 4 pairing and out best shot of having a legitimate top pairing option. 

Zadorov-Andersson: Unless these guys take a jump forward this line might struggle. It lacks speed overall. I do like the match if defense / offense. Hopefully both guys take it to another level this season. 

Valimaki-Gudbranson: This one is fine if they don't get caught against the top lines. Hopefully it clicks because Valamaki needs to find another level this season. Otherwise hopefully Sutter is ready to sit Gudbranson and bring up Stone (who was great with Valamaki last season) 

As much as Hani-Tani was our best pair last year, we should not forsake the other pairs.

With Gudbranson in the mix, it kind of messes up the options.

Valimaki-Tanev (solid RD with Valimaki)

Hanifin-Andersson (best pair from last playoffs we played)

Zadorov-Gudbranson (too much size on one pair, but this is really the only problem out of 3 pairs).

Perhaps I am being a bit hard on Gudbranson, but I think he messes up what Valimaki will show.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

As much as Hani-Tani was our best pair last year, we should not forsake the other pairs.

With Gudbranson in the mix, it kind of messes up the options.

Valimaki-Tanev (solid RD with Valimaki)

Hanifin-Andersson (best pair from last playoffs we played)

Zadorov-Gudbranson (too much size on one pair, but this is really the only problem out of 3 pairs).

Perhaps I am being a bit hard on Gudbranson, but I think he messes up what Valimaki will show.

Zadarov-Gubrandson would be a terrible pairing in my opinion.  I also don't think you can put Valimaki on the top pair with Tanev, he hasn't shown he is ready for that and It think that derails him much more then putting him on a third pairing with Gud.  If Valamaki shows up in camp and forces the coach to him more minutes then that changes things, but right now I think its Valamaki-Gud / Valimak-Stone and some combination of Tanev, Andersson, Hanafin, and probably Zadorov.  

• Horsman1 changed the title to training camp
On 9/25/2021 at 6:35 AM, conundrumed said:

Horsman, can you edit the thread title to just Training Camp?

Yesterday Francis was moved up to the AHL group to replace Zary (ankle fracture.

Werner was moved down to the AHL group.

Love the groupings and Sutter adjusting them.

Almost like we have a smart coach.

Dumb like a fox.😃

done

On 9/26/2021 at 8:22 PM, Horsman1 said:

done

Thanks boss, it should be your thread!

I think Sutter set the camp groups up perfectly and went with more or less prospects in the first 2 games, mixed in a bit of 4th line experience. Sent guys back to jr quickly to stop wasting time. I wonder if he's going to platoon Wolf with Markstrom soon and give Wolf some looks. I pretty much guarantee it.

A full camp is a full camp. Keeping Wolf with Markstrom speaks volumes imo. Good teacher for Wolf.

If Gudbranson keeps being really bad, I don't think we need to worry about it much. Let the coach roll out his eye test. He'll get it.

Give it time. At least we didn't draft Gudbranson 3rd oa. I think he'll be watching from afar if something doesn't click within him.

I'm with everyone we should have just PTO'd and cut him. Time will tell. He won't hang around just because.

p yea.. I rather like the way this camp is set up..More along how I would do ..Nice to see Kylington get kudoes from every one after the last game.. Maybe he does belong afterall... reminds me of the Pullijarvi issue up the highway.. From streetbum to can't live without you..

On 9/26/2021 at 1:47 PM, kehatch said:

Lines have been really consistent so far, with just one change on D. We will see if they last the first few preseason games, but it's interesting to see Sutter stick with it through the first week. 

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Coleman: This line should match up better then the Monahan line against top competition. Interesting to see Sutter stick with Lindholm at C. 

Gaudreau-Monahan-Mangiapane: I am a bit surprised to see Sutter put a small player with Gaudreau/Monahan. But Mangiapane should handle the skill, he has the D game, and the work effort should be a good fit. 

Dube-Backlund-Pitlick: I don't love this line due to a lack of offense. If Dube takes a step they might generate some points, but barring that this line will struggle to score. They should be strong defensively though. 

Lucic-Richardson-Lewis: Good fourth line as long as they don't get mismatched with a high speed line. Lots of size, energy, and decent defensively. 

Ritchie: Obvious 13 forward. I just hope he doesn't end back up on the top line. 

swap pitlick and mangiapane.. and reverse wings.. mangiapane to left.. Dube to right.. looks like Kylington came to claim a spot on d this camp.. bye bye gudbranson/Ritchie and Maybe Stone

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Horsman1 said:

swap pitlick and mangiapane.. and reverse wings.. mangiapane to left.. Dube to right.. looks like Kylington came to claim a spot on d this camp.. bye bye gudbranson/Ritchie and Maybe Stone

I hope so, I we have all been liking Kylington for some time now, but he’s been kInda struggling with consistently in the past few years…it’s not alarming for D to take a bit longer like Kylington has, but it would be definitely great if he could step up to being a really solid 3rd pair NHL regular D.

as for the pairs I’m definitely ok with:

Hanifin/Tanev they were our best pair last season, and seem to have some chemistry together…smart to keep that going

as for the second pair, I don’t like it at all, I still feel Valimaki/Anderson is the way to go, and could very well develop into the next Gio/Brodie duo for us, and yes this may be a bit bumpy pair to start the season, and at time may be hard to watch but if they were put together I can’t help but have a sense that by 1/2 through the season they would develop into an elite D duo:

Valimaki/Anderson 

as for the third line I’d go:

Big Z/ Kylington, for two reason, I think big Z is seasoned enough to be a mentor for Kylington and they could develop into a top D duo as well…nothing special or fancy, but one of those underrated duos that do every well with few if any mistakes 

as for the rest, MacKey needs another year to develop and by next year he should be kinda like what we are seeing out of Kylington this year, so a year in the A could ever a huge benefit for him and the team…stone is a great 7th fill in/spare, especially with how well he worked with Valimaki…he could fill in and help Valimaki and Kylington at any point shouldntheee be injurious.

• Like 1

Sutter is really sticking to his lines.  It looks like the top six, top four, and goalies are set. 

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Coleman
Gaudreau-Monahan-Mangiapane

Hanifin-Tanev
Zadorov-Andersson

Markstrom/Vlader

However, Sutter keeps tweaking the depth a bit. 

Tonight he has swapped Ritchie with Pitlick on the Dube/Backlund line.  Sutter seems to like Ritchie.  He has also tried Dube at C with some success.  The fourth line is consistently Lucic and Lewis on wing, but he has mixed up the C. 

The bottom pairing has been interesting too.  Mackey hasn't impressed, but Kylington has looked good.  Valamaki has been between Stone and Gudbranson.  

Overall I am curious to see who ends up on Backlunds RW, who Cs the fourth line, and who makes up the bottom pair.  I am really interested to see if Kylington can keep it up.  I haven't had much faith in him. Hope he proves me wrong. 

On 9/30/2021 at 9:25 PM, Horsman1 said:

3 hours ago, kehatch said:

Sutter is really sticking to his lines.  It looks like the top six, top four, and goalies are set. 

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Coleman
Gaudreau-Monahan-Mangiapane

Hanifin-Tanev
Zadorov-Andersson

Markstrom/Vlader

However, Sutter keeps tweaking the depth a bit. 

Tonight he has swapped Ritchie with Pitlick on the Dube/Backlund line.  Sutter seems to like Ritchie.  He has also tried Dube at C with some success.  The fourth line is consistently Lucic and Lewis on wing, but he has mixed up the C. 

The bottom pairing has been interesting too.  Mackey hasn't impressed, but Kylington has looked good.  Valamaki has been between Stone and Gudbranson.  

Overall I am curious to see who ends up on Backlunds  Eberle comRW, who Cs the fourth line, and who makes up the bottom pair.  I am really interested to see if Kylington can keep it up.  I haven't had much faith in him. Hope he s to Calgary  me wrong. 

maybe Eberle comes to Calgary to play with Jonny and Mony for say.. Gawdin and something

I have to wonder if the Coleman scratch, and resulting new top line, causes Sutter to shuffle things a bit. That top line looked good, albeit for one preseason game against the Canucks C squad. A simple swap of Gaudreau and Coleman could happen? 

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk 

Mangiapane-Monahan-Coleman

• Like 1