training camp

Horsman1

38 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Yes 3 distinct  groupings in that list.

Only eyebrow raiser for me is Francis in group 1

But the rest makes perfect sense.

No PTO's listed either.

Based on groupings and the presser by Treliving, the Flames may carry 3 goalies to avoid any issues in case of injury. Sounds like Parsons knew he has no shot at the big club so didn’t bother coming to camp. Just headed straight to Stockton to get ready for AHL duty.

9 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

Based on groupings and the presser by Treliving, the Flames may carry 3 goalies to avoid any issues in case of injury. Sounds like Parsons knew he has no shot at the big club so didn’t bother coming to camp. Just headed straight to Stockton to get ready for AHL duty.

That's a weird take by Parsons. Does that mean we should only have about 30 at camp, if that's the mindset?

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

That's a weird take by Parsons. Does that mean we should only have about 30 at camp, if that's the mindset?

To be fair to Parsons, he wasn't the one that acquired bucketloads of not that young goalies other NHL teams don't want.

When you do that, problems should not be unexpected.

Parsons needs to be professional, without a doubt.   But his best chance at the NHL (albeit a long one) is with a different organisation.  And that's not because we don't need NHL goalies.   My guess is he's actually not trying to display a bad attitude, rather he sees the AHL as a long-shot at this point that he needs to put everything into to get.    He's most likely going to end up in the ECHL unless we loan him or he starts very very very strong down there.

5 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

To be fair to Parsons, he wasn't the one that acquired bucketloads of not that young goalies other NHL teams don't want.

When you do that, problems should not be unexpected.

Parsons needs to be professional, without a doubt.   But his best chance at the NHL (albeit a long one) is with a different organisation.  And that's not because we don't need NHL goalies.   My guess is he's actually not trying to display a bad attitude, rather he sees the AHL as a long-shot at this point that he needs to put everything into to get.    He's most likely going to end up in the ECHL unless we loan him or he starts very very very strong down there.

It's his constant IR that has held him back. Nothing else. He had his mental health statement, and regarding being a fatherless child in the nasty areas from Detroit, although I thought he was from the decent 'burbs of Mount Clemens.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Instead of link...

Yup group 1 back to Jr…Group 2 is the regular line up and Group 3 is AHL bound

My only beef with Sutter is he’s already got the roster set with Vets before the first practice…would be nice if he would leave 2 sots open up front and one on the d to see if a young guy can actually slot it…I’m of option…3 of your younger forwards are a better option than Lucic, Richardson and Lewis…

on the D site Mackey is better than Stone.

it’s tough cause Sutter dose generally win…on the D side, I’m kinda ok with more vets as the ide is it’s better to let guys like MacKey play more…

but Zary, Pelletier, Phillips and Francis should be in group 1…all are as good or better than some of the vets mentioned…I’d love to see 3 of the 4 mixed in with the bottom 6…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MP5029 said:

Yup group 1 back to Jr…Group 2 is the regular line up and Group 3 is AHL bound

My only beef with Sutter is he’s already got the roster set with Vets before the first practice…would be nice if he would leave 2 sots open up front and one on the d to see if a young guy can actually slot it…I’m of option…3 of your younger forwards are a better option than Lucic, Richardson and Lewis…

on the D site Mackey is better than Stone.

it’s tough cause Sutter dose generally win…on the D side, I’m kinda ok with more vets as the ide is it’s better to let guys like MacKey play more…

but Zary, Pelletier, Phillips and Francis should be in group 1…all are as good or better than some of the vets mentioned…I’d love to see 3 of the 4 mixed in with the bottom 6…

Although I want a young fast team ala the Panthers, I also think the 4th line has to teach the rest of the roster how to bare down, play hard every night and overcome adversity. The team has been mentally weak And I think both Lewis and Richardson are there almost as asst coaches. Let’s face it, this team needs a kick in the arse to be ready, all of the time.

I like Sutter’s comment that Chucky’s staying on the LW, he’s better there, and he has to get back to his game.

This team needs a hard Hash Rate coach.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Although I want a young fast team ala the Panthers, I also think the 4th line has to teach the rest of the roster how to bare down, play hard every night and overcome adversity. The team has been mentally weak And I think both Lewis and Richardson are there almost as asst coaches. Let’s face it, this team needs a kick in the arse to be ready, all of the time.

I like Sutter’s comment that Chucky’s staying on the LW, he’s better there, and he has to get back to his game.

This team needs a hard Hash Rate coach.

We did play hard every game under Peters and Ward.

We just weren't that good.  

13 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

this is more or less my take as well.   i mean we could have played harder but that wasn't the issue.

I also think we're kidding ourselves a bit when our defence is below average, our goaltending is sub-par, we have no first line center or RW, and we say it's the 4th line's fault.

The issue is our 4th line is playing 3rd line because there is no first line.

45 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

What? When?

We literally coasted half the game on a regular basis. Looked asleep for entire periods. It was pitiful effort more often than not. Neither Peters or Ward should have been coaches.

What? When?

We literally coasted half the game on a regular basis. Looked asleep for entire periods. It was pitiful effort more often than not. Neither Peters or Ward should have been coaches.

That's the thing.  Just because the ice tilts towards our end and we get dominated, it doesn't mean we are coasting or aren't trying.  Other teams just walk all over us for entire periods at a time.  We just weren't that good.  Offense fails to sustain pressure in the offensive zone.  Defense starts chasing and gets tired.

2 hours ago, jjgallow said:

this is more or less my take as well.   i mean we could have played harder but that wasn't the issue.

I also think we're kidding ourselves a bit when our defence is below average, our goaltending is sub-par, we have no first line center or RW, and we say it's the 4th line's fault.

The issue is our 4th line is playing 3rd line because there is no first line.

Our 4th line was horrible last season.  We were also so desperate for RW that Ritchie was our best option.  IF only Ritchie just played harder?  No, he's not talented enough period.  Lindholm was out-classed as our #1 Center.  Monahan played as hard as he can but his body was broken.  Bennett was a lost cause.  We just weren't good.

I'm not saying we are the worst team in the NHL but outside of a handful of players, the roster needs a great reset (is that PC enough?  Won't use the term "rebuild" or "retool" because it's too racist).

What? When?

it was entirely George Canyons fault for putting the team to sleep with his rendition of the anthems

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Our 4th line was horrible last season.  We were also so desperate for RW that Ritchie was our best option.  IF only Ritchie just played harder?  No, he's not talented enough period.  Lindholm was out-classed as our #1 Center.  Monahan played as hard as he can but his body was broken.  Bennett was a lost cause.  We just weren't good.

I'm not saying we are the worst team in the NHL but outside of a handful of players, the roster needs a great reset (is that PC enough?  Won't use the term "rebuild" or "retool" because it's too racist).

I'm offended.

The funny party about this, and I mean I do get a kick out of it, is that we all talk about rebuilds, retools, tanking etc, like they are a choice.   Like they are a decision we must make.

That's so 2018.

12 hours ago, The_People1 said:

That's the thing.  Just because the ice tilts towards our end and we get dominated, it doesn't mean we are coasting or aren't trying.  Other teams just walk all over us for entire periods at a time.  We just weren't that good.  Offense fails to sustain pressure in the offensive zone.  Defense starts chasing and gets tired.

Or maybe because the coaching couldn't decide how they needed to coach this roster?

Sutter is literally laughing, I'm sure. Don't worry peeps, we'll be fine.

Until we need a new coach at least.

It's kinda funny to watch. Seems like every move, even shoring up G prospects, are Sutter's.

If he can get owns away from guiding BT, great.

Show a little faith. We desperately needed qualified role players before anything.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Or maybe because the coaching couldn't decide how they needed to coach this roster?

It's kinda funny to watch. Seems like every move, even shoring up G prospects, are Sutter's.

Show a little faith. We desperately needed qualified role players before anything.

I for one felt that Ward was the worse thing this team needed.

BP had a good regular season with a complete no show in the playoffs.

His 2nd year was marked by too much reaction to playoff failure.

The complaint about being too soft was familiar with our team the last two years.

Lucic bought into Sutter's game.

He has some faults but can change the complexion of a game.

We should be protecting the players that rely on skill.

Even if Tkachuk was wrong to get fired up about the puck flip, where was the team?

Anyway, I have some confidence going into the season.

We may not have the game breakers that some teams have, but we have players that given some space can dominate.

We never punish players for going to our net or running our goalie.

Let them fear the Zad and Gud.

Keep your head up around Pitlick and Coleman. 

Agreed. The effort was there I agree, but the game plan, structure and accountability really wasn't. I don't believe there is any team in the league that can win games consistently or look consistent if they are not on the same page within their game plan. Flames are not unique in that situation. 

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Go a little easy on peeps too though lol,

Like.....if rotating coaches was the solution we'd surely have the cup by now.   Same for Sutter pulling GM moves.

The distance between your positivity and peep's objectivity is about ..  30 regular season games.     Don't knock it cause you'll be there soon enough

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I didn't fact check this but I feel like it has to be almost a decade or more since Iginla or Gio didn't lead this. Might have been a year or 2 in there that someone else won it but those 2 were pretty dominant. 

Matches what I think of Dube. Last guy I'd wanna trade. He'll be wearing an "A" in this league, at minimum.

Against what many see, I think Sutter loves Dube and Valimaki. He's very good with young players, people just don't like his tactics.

Dube is an excellent player, ready to breakout imho.

• Like 2