training camp

Horsman1

14 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I'm not surprised. I stopped reading into preseason many years ago after being duped by it too many times. Again not to put down Kylington, who I still think will get a chance to play, but I jsut don't think a few good games in a pre season mean much. 

I can get with that. Everyone's problem is he's exactly what we need, but a better version.

I hope more preseason games equates to less AHL-looking first dozen or so NHL games. The couple I've watched still look a little sketch.

47 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I can get with that. Everyone's problem is he's exactly what we need, but a better version.

I hope more preseason games equates to less AHL-looking first dozen or so NHL games. The couple I've watched still look a little sketch.

5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

We could use some speed and skating on the 4th line LW so I would've liked to see Kylington tried there.

Like Cross, I have been duped too often to believe anything from lines and pairs.

The vets have been given the spot before the pre-season started.

They didn't really have to prove anything, and in some cases have proved what we least wanted.

The only positive (for today) is that Kylington and Gawdin are both still on the roster.

Whether they stay there or get waived is anyone's guess.

It's Thursday, and we see Kylington as 7th D-man, also considering that Stone was injured a bit.

If a spot is required (ie whichever one of Pitlick or Richardson that are on IR come off IR), care to bet on who gets waived?

I don't.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

I actually think what the Flames need is Valimaki to be what they drafted him to be. That's the skillset that is lacking for me, not so much what Kylington brings. 

I'm pleasantly surprised to see Sutter appears to be giving Valimaki some rope. 

48 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I actually think what the Flames need is Valimaki to be what they drafted him to be. That's the skillset that is lacking for me, not so much what Kylington brings. 

Let's face it, nobody is going to be mistake free.

Both Valimaki and Kylington have made bad ones in games that Sutter coached.

They both deserve a little rope.

All I am suggesting is that more rope should not be given to the so-called vets.

Gudbranson and Zadorov both need to come in as skilled vets, not guys that you have to make too many allowances for.

If you aren't the 6th best D-man, then you best be doing something that makes us better somehow. 

5 hours ago, cross16 said:

It's actually starting to look like Valimaki needs a full year on the 3rd pair with sheltered minutes to develop properly.  Game is too fast for him right now and his experience is not at that level to handle it. 

47 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

It's actually starting to look like Valimaki needs a full year on the 3rd pair with sheltered minutes to develop properly.  Game is too fast for him right now and his experience is not at that level to handle it. 

Guy just needs to play.  Going from April 2019 to January 2021 for not playing in the best league, we should've expected struggles last year.  The guy we last saw in April 2019 we had high hopes for, we shouldn't write him off because he wasn't the sharpest after a year and a half away.  He also has only played 73 games and is now on coach #3, he hasn't played 30 NHL games for 1 head coach yet.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Let's face it, nobody is going to be mistake free.

Both Valimaki and Kylington have made bad ones in games that Sutter coached.

They both deserve a little rope.

All I am suggesting is that more rope should not be given to the so-called vets.

Gudbranson and Zadorov both need to come in as skilled vets, not guys that you have to make too many allowances for.

If you aren't the 6th best D-man, then you best be doing something that makes us better somehow. 

100% agree! 

This is one of the more important canid in recent history. It is imperative the Flames get off to a hot start for once, instead of spending  the year chasing teams and points. 

it’s been a long season and hopefully this full week of practice will yield great results in tomorrow’s opener against the Coilers. 

The direction of this franchise depends greatly on how this team performs this season. Here’s hoping the Calgary Flames can finally break free from the shackles of mediocrity! Go Flames Go!!

12 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I'm ok with that as long as some PK/PP time is thrown in there to get his confidence up too. 

Just carve out a role for him. It can be 3rd pairing, although having to carry around Gudbranson is not ideal, but just have a role. Don't just bury him there with the hope he earns his way up. 

1 hour ago, rickross said:

This is one of the more important canid in recent history. It is imperative the Flames get off to a hot start for once, instead of spending  the year chasing teams and points. 

it’s been a long season and hopefully this full week of practice will yield great results in tomorrow’s opener against the Coilers. 

The direction of this franchise depends greatly on how this team performs this season. Here’s hoping the Calgary Flames can finally break free from the shackles of mediocrity! Go Flames Go!!

I wish everyone was going for Game 1. And hopefully Pitlick is back for game 2 along with Coleman. Want to see the full roster, expecting a heavier puck pursuit and puck support team.