training camp

Horsman1

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

No Flames on waivers today. Would mean Kylington,Stone, Gawdin and some others, will at least start the season with the team. Pending a trade or course. 

5 sent to AHL today:

Duehr, Froese, Kirklan, Mackey and Werner.

Means we have 8D up and 13F.

Richardson, Ritchie and Lewis stay up, no matter how bad they were.

Gawdin and Kylington survive the cuts.

However, Coleman is not being counted, so we have one extra body for game 1, unless they throw Pitlick to LTIR.

Not sure why Stone is being kept up, though the timing of game 1 may have something to do with it.

They will need to waive one player come Saturday, to coincide with Coleman coming back on the roster.

At least that is my understanding.

IMHO, too much beef and not enough skill.

Gudbranson and Zadorov on the roster - do we need both up?

Lewis and Ritchie - don't need to keep both.

Gawdin made a strong case to be kept, as did Kylington.

Duehr had a better showing than Lewis.

I think the AHL is the right place for Duehr. Solid camp,put himself on the radar, he’ll play nhl games this year but I thought his game dropped off as the pre season went ok and the competition got better. Nothing wrong with allowing him to continue to adjust to the pro game in the AHL IMO. 
Ritchie should be who is sent done once Coleman is done his suspension. I think the Flames run with 8D. Kind of have to given the circumstances. 

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

5 sent to AHL today:

Duehr, Froese, Kirklan, Mackey and Werner.

Means we have 8D up and 13F.

Richardson, Ritchie and Lewis stay up, no matter how bad they were.

Gawdin and Kylington survive the cuts.

However, Coleman is not being counted, so we have one extra body for game 1, unless they throw Pitlick to LTIR.

Not sure why Stone is being kept up, though the timing of game 1 may have something to do with it.

They will need to waive one player come Saturday, to coincide with Coleman coming back on the roster.

At least that is my understanding.

IMHO, too much beef and not enough skill.

Gudbranson and Zadorov on the roster - do we need both up?

Lewis and Ritchie - don't need to keep both.

Gawdin made a strong case to be kept, as did Kylington.

Duehr had a better showing than Lewis.

All we need in Game 1 is Tanev vs McDavid.  Tanev is probably in McDavid's head now.  

5 hours ago, The_People1 said:

All we need in Game 1 is Tanev vs McDavid.  Tanev is probably in McDavid's head now.  

Ok, my bad.

Coleman actually takes up a roster spot.

One move left and it's too late to waive anyone.

So, the only possible move is Pitlick or Richardson to IR.

Game 1 against the Oilers.

Ugg.

We haven't won game one since 2007?

Good chance that Kassian will get back in, since he's only on a concussion protocol.

Most certainly they will trot him out as the togh guy.

A few players that seem to do well in the McDavid matrchup.

Ras, Backlund, Tkachuk and Mangiapane.

McWhiner will be crying foul every shift.

Draisaitl will take a hit and slash away at the player.

Hope they keep Keith and Ceci together.

Defensive nightmare.

The only thing that will keep thm in the game is Smith and outscoring us.

Send in Lucic to get Smith off balance.

He's only ever played against him.

Sutter is the type of coach that will change things in a hurry, but under normal circumstances this would indicate the lineup he plans to start the season with

What I believe is the top line stays together

Monahan with 2 speedy wingers

Dube elevated (even if it's just until Coleman is back)

Lucic and Backlund together

Gawdin a potential to play

Hanifin and Anderson back together

Dislikes:

Zadorov in a top 4 role plus being paired with Tanev. I get part of the rationale (Tanev boosted everyone he played with so far as a Flame) but that is a potentially alarming lack of foot speed for a top 4 pairing. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Sutter is the type of coach that will change things in a hurry, but under normal circumstances this would indicate the lineup he plans to start the season with

Dislikes:

Zadorov in a top 4 role plus being paired with Tanev. I get part of the rationale (Tanev boosted everyone he played with so far as a Flame) but that is a potentially alarming lack of foot speed for a top 4 pairing. 

I know it's just a practice, but it seems like the top 6 and bottom 6 are light years apart.

Coleman is out for game 1, so are we running 11F and 7D against EDM?

After Coleman returns:

Assume that Dube replaces Lewis.

3rd line of Lucic-Backlund-Dube.  Sorry, but Lucic is not the player he was.  Clearly a step behind Backlund and Dube.

Might it make sense to have a slightly better skater there?

If Pitlick is back, then Dube-Backlund-Pitlick might be fine.

As far as the defense go - yeesh.

I don't really care whether the 5v5 minutes are basically the same between 3 pairs, but Zadorov-Tanev is the worst possible pair I could think of.

We don't just need Zadorov and Gudbranson hitting everything in sight and taking penalties.

We need solid pairs from the possible pairs below (bolded my preference):

Hanifin-Tanev

Hanifin-Ras

Zadorov-Ras (might be okay).

Valimaki-Ras

Kylington-Ras (could be okay)

Valimaki-Tanev

Valimaki-Kylington (questionable)

Valimaki-Gudbranson (questionable)

Zadorov-Valimaki

Kylington-Tanev

Kylington-Gudbranson (yikes)

Zadorov-Kylington

Valimaki needs a solid partner or he will make poor decisions, or at least it seemed that wy.

Hanifin-Ras seems the most likely pair that allows Tanev to grow the other pairing.

Zadorov-Kylington is about the only scenario I can see using Zadorov.  Kylington's strong skating makes up for Zadorov's slow speed.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Dislikes:

I really like that Top 6, Top Line stays the same and they had success at the end of the year. I have also really liked the idea of Dube and Mang playing together, and Monahan should balance their speed out, he also has a great shot to help them finish.

I wonder if Coleman slides down to line 3 with Backs and Pitlick (when he is back healthy), makes a very good third line. Similar to what Coleman did in Tampa.

Then Lucic with Gawdin and either Ritchie / Lewis / Richardson.

And I agree with your take on the d

Hannifin - Ras almost have to be together

Valimaki - Tanev should be together to insulate Val as best as we can

Zadorov - Kyl is the best version of ying and yang we have, one brings the muscle, one brings the speed, should figure out how to compliment each other

Gudbranson ????

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I know it's just a practice, but it seems like the top 6 and bottom 6 are light years apart.

Coleman is out for game 1, so are we running 11F and 7D against EDM?

Wouldn't surprise me nor do I think it's a bad idea. He probably wants to ease Hanifin into things, probably isn't too confident in Valimaki nor Kylington's game right now and Gudbranson could prove a liability early. 

7D makes a ton of sense. 

7 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Wouldn't surprise me nor do I think it's a bad idea. He probably wants to ease Hanifin into things, probably isn't too confident in Valimaki nor Kylington's game right now and Gudbranson could prove a liability early. 

7D makes a ton of sense. 

I would be happier with 11F to begin with.  At least until Pitlick is ready.  I don't have much confidence in Lewis.  But that's just me. 

The 7D is reasonable, though I suspect we see Gudbranson playing a full set of shifts and Valimaki/Kylington being cut in half.  

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I would be happier with 11F to begin with.  At least until Pitlick is ready.  I don't have much confidence in Lewis.  But that's just me. 

The 7D is reasonable, though I suspect we see Gudbranson playing a full set of shifts and Valimaki/Kylington being cut in half.  

What I like about Lewis is he understands how to get in the way to slow down an opponent. He's good at it. I always thought he was annoying to play against because he always gets in the way. Try to join the rush, try to help on D, he always read it well and just got in the way to buy 3 more seconds. Used to irritate me all of the time. Always puts guys off stride. It's smart. Don't have to check, just get where the other guy's going first.

3 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

What I like about Lewis is he understands how to get in the way to slow down an opponent. He's good at it. I always thought he was annoying to play against because he always gets in the way. Try to join the rush, try to help on D, he always read it well and just got in the way to buy 3 more seconds. Used to irritate me all of the time. Always puts guys off stride. It's smart. Don't have to check, just get where the other guy's going first.

Was he that way last year in WPG or this year in TC?

I admit I don't always see the positive things people do.

I will reserve judgement on the player, but as I said I just didn't see enough from him. 

22 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Was he that way last year in WPG or this year in TC?

I admit I don't always see the positive things people do.

I will reserve judgement on the player, but as I said I just didn't see enough from him. 

Didn't see much 'peg last yr, but noticed it against Edmonton in TC. Reminded me of LA. It's smart play, but I'll have to watch it a little more. It was once really annoying to watch. Definitely saw it on Edmonton rushing, 3rd man has to break stride and it breaks up the threat from behind.

13 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Re waiving Ritchie. Please do. Normally cheer all ex-Sting. He was far and away the laziest ever. 2nd Rd pick. I laughed.

I would be okay with them waiving Stone, Ritchie and Gudbranson.

Give them the Kylington treatment; we will keep you around for depth, but if needed, you get assigned to Stockton.

Would you rather Duehr for a couple of games or Ritchie?

I like being able to chose based on the game we would play.

But that's me.

I have more time for Zadorov, since I think he has more than just a nasty streak.

He needs to be better than what he was in TC, but I think he has the tools.

Gudbranson is Stone without the slapper.

Maybe a bit more physical, but we have other players that can do that.

Preventing zone entries and being able to contain is much more important than just a big hit.

Having 7D, 1 being Gudbranson, against the Oilers wouldn’t require Valimaki and Kylington to split duties. Kylington could play as a forward some of the time and play D while Gudbranson is serving his fighting major and misconduct. Saves the other D some extra work. Also covers any other penalties Gudbranson or Zadorov take by being physically aggressive.

Might be a smart move.

7 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

Having 7D, 1 being Gudbranson, against the Oilers wouldn’t require Valimaki and Kylington to split duties. Kylington could play as a forward some of the time and play D while Gudbranson is serving his fighting major and misconduct. Saves the other D some extra work. Also covers any other penalties Gudbranson or Zadorov take by being physically aggressive.

Might be a smart move.

They have had Kylington available for years, with needs for speedy forwards.

They have not yet even had him play wing in practice.

I have suggested it before, but Dutter doesn;t return my calls.

On 10/12/2021 at 9:05 PM, travel_dude said:

They have had Kylington available for years, with needs for speedy forwards.

They have not yet even had him play wing in practice.

I have suggested it before, but Dutter doesn;t return my calls.

Yesterday he was wing in practice.

What's up with Pitlick?

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Last practice before Saturday's morning skate.

Well, well, well, look who the 7th Dman is.

I'm not surprised. I stopped reading into preseason many years ago after being duped by it too many times. Again not to put down Kylington, who I still think will get a chance to play, but I jsut don't think a few good games in a pre season mean much.