training camp

Horsman1

3 hours ago, kehatch said:

I have to wonder if the Coleman scratch, and resulting new top line, causes Sutter to shuffle things a bit. That top line looked good, albeit for one preseason game against the Canucks C squad. A simple swap of Gaudreau and Coleman could happen? 

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk 

Mangiapane-Monahan-Coleman

This is what I would run with and I’m a bit surprised it hasn’t been plan a. I thought the Gaudreau-Lindy-Chucky line showed some great stuff at the end of last season and It be the go to in camp. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cross16 said:

This is what I would run with and I’m a bit surprised it hasn’t been plan a. I thought the Gaudreau-Lindy-Chucky line showed some great stuff at the end of last season and It be the go to in camp. 

I think Sutter strategy has been to build offensively and defensively oriented lines. We saw it on D with Zadorov-Taven / Hanafin-Andersson. I think it is/was similar with the top 6 forwards. Tkachuk-Lindholm-Coleman give you a strong defensive (and offensive) line, while Gaudreau-Monahan-Mangiapane is a line you can start in the offensive zone. 

But I agree with you. I liked those three together last season, and last night. I  curious to see if Monahan can get his offensive game going again without Gaudreau though. If he doesn't the Flames don't have the depth down the middle to compensate. 

1 hour ago, kehatch said:

I think Sutter strategy has been to build offensively and defensively oriented lines. We saw it on D with Zadorov-Taven / Hanafin-Andersson. I think it is/was similar with the top 6 forwards. Tkachuk-Lindholm-Coleman give you a strong defensive (and offensive) line, while Gaudreau-Monahan-Mangiapane is a line you can start in the offensive zone. 

But I agree with you. I liked those three together last season, and last night. I  curious to see if Mangiapane can get his offensive game going again without Gaudreau though. If he doesn't the Flames don't have the depth down the middle to compensate. 

I think that Mangiapane is the least of the worries.

It's not like he has ever had Gaudreau as a default linemate.

He's had everyone from Backlund to Tkachuk to Dube to Lucic.

I would even suggest that he would be better away from Gaudreau.

So, just some things that stood out for me.

Mangiapane needs someone other than Ritchie as a linemate.

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk is a thing.

Kylington looked like a great match with Tanev.

His positioning has gotten better, and while it's preseason, he has looked poised with the puck.

Zadorov with Ras wasn't as bad as I expected, in fact they were fairly solid.

Mackey is close to NHL ready if not now.

8 hours ago, cross16 said:

This is what I would run with and I’m a bit surprised it hasn’t been plan a. I thought the Gaudreau-Lindy-Chucky line showed some great stuff at the end of last season and It be the go to in camp. f wing.. why not Jonny

why is it always tkachuck that moves to off wing.. why not Jonny

6 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I think that Mangiapane is the least of the worries.

It's not like he has ever had Gaudreau as a default linemate.

He's had everyone from Backlund to Tkachuk to Dube to Lucic.

I would even suggest that he would be better away from Gaudreau.

So, just some things that stood out for me.

Mangiapane needs someone other than Ritchie as a linemate.

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk is a thing.

Kylington looked like a great match with Tanev.

His positioning has gotten better, and while it's preseason, he has looked poised with the puck.

Zadorov with Ras wasn't as bad as I expected, in fact they were fairly solid.

Mackey is close to NHL ready if not now.

I meant to say Monahan. Mangiapane is fine. 

18 hours ago, Horsman1 said:

why is it always tkachuck that moves to off wing.. why not Jonny

skillsets IMO. I think forcing Johnny to play his off wing and back hand would hurt his transition game. Tkachuk on the other hand already plays at a slower pace. 

On 10/2/2021 at 12:47 PM, kehatch said:

But I agree with you. I liked those three together last season, and last night. I  curious to see if Monahan can get his offensive game going again without Gaudreau though. If he doesn't the Flames don't have the depth down the middle to compensate. 

I think the flames should move past the idea of getting Monahan’s offensive numbers back. I think the focus should be expanding his skill set and finding other ways to help the team. 

I think having 2 speedy wingers in Mang and Coleman would help imo. 

The cuts are in...

Didn't waste any time with the typical AHL guys like Phillips, Ruzicka, Pospisil and Pettersen.

Also Desimone, Wellinski and Gravel.

Wolf, Pelletier and surprise surprise Ryan Francis.

Didn't expect Francis.

Still have Froese and Kirklan, among others.

18F, 10D and 3G left in camp.

So that leaves the following:

Gaudreau, Linfdolm, Tkachuk

Mangiapane, Monahan, Coleman

Dube, Backlund, Pitlick

Lucic, Gawdin, Lewis

Kirkland, Froese, Duehr

Richardson, Ritchie

Not sure if they include Zary.

10D left.

I can thinkof the top 8, so Poirier and Kinnvall must be included too.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

The cuts are in...

Didn't waste any time with the typical AHL guys like Phillips, Ruzicka, Pospisil and Pettersen.

Also Desimone, Wellinski and Gravel.

Wolf, Pelletier and surprise surprise Ryan Francis.

Didn't expect Francis.

Still have Froese and Kirklan, among others.

18F, 10D and 3G left in camp.

Yup no surprise there, Sutter don’t do young players…one or two per season and that’s it…personally I’d rather dump

a few of the vets we have in favour of a few guys we send down:

Francis

Ruzicka

are two that have out played the vets and would be solid additions to the lineup…also Zary if he was not hurt, which is probably the only reason he hasn’t been send down yet, the team probably wants him close till he’s all healed up…

still, hose three in particular are definitely NHL ready 

6 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Yup no surprise there, Sutter don’t do young players…one or two per season and that’s it…personally I’d rather dump

a few of the vets we have in favour of a few guys we send down:

Francis

Ruzicka

are two that have out played the vets and would be solid additions to the lineup…also Zary if he was not hurt, which is probably the only reason he hasn’t been send down yet, the team probably wants him close till he’s all healed up…

still, hose three in particular are definitely NHL ready 

Francis played something like 3 shifts last night.

Had an early penalty.

Not sure, but I think they want to take some time with him.

Exposing him to the rest of TC and start to the season if a lot to ask for a 19 year old with no pro experience.

Gawdin is being give a long look.

I think Richardson has the edge, but really I like the isea of a hungry young player in the mix.

Lewis and Ritchie are what they are and don't need to be in every game.

Pitlick is injured as well as Zary.

My thinking is we need to balance out Pitlick and Lucic with a two way C.

Gawdin is good on the D side, just needs to find the open ice more.

Richardson is a safe player.

On 10/2/2021 at 6:43 PM, travel_dude said:

Go with what works.

I'm sure they could and have tried it.

I like Gaudreau on the off-wing on the PP

well they have chucky and mangy playing on their off wing even though they play better on left.. why is jonny so special to not even try it. he is more of a roamer than the other t

two

6 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Francis played something like 3 shifts last night.

Had an early penalty.

Not sure, but I think they want to take some time with him.

Exposing him to the rest of TC and start to the season if a lot to ask for a 19 year old with no pro experience.

Gawdin is being give a long look.

I think Richardson has the edge, but really I like the isea of a hungry young player in the mix.

Lewis and Ritchie are what they are and don't need to be in every game.

Pitlick is injured as well as Zary.

My thinking is we need to balance out Pitlick and Lucic with a two way C.

Gawdin is good on the D side, just needs to find the open ice more.

Richardson is a safe player.

ruzicka has a historyy of being a lazy player.gawdin is being showcased for a trade.... pitlick belongs on the fourth line with lewis and whoever

39 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

well they have chucky and mangy playing on their off wing even though they play better on left.. why is jonny so special to not even try it. he is more of a roamer than the other t

two

I think you lose some of the creativity if he's not on his strong side.

44 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Tyler Parsons appears to not be attending training camp with the Heat now either. 

It's a strange situation.  He hasn't been at the Flames TC, but he hasn't been waived from the NHL roster either.

He won't be able to go to the AHL until he is waived.

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Lines and pairings from today's skate:

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk

Mangiapane-Monahan-Lewis

Dube-Backlund-Ritchie

Lucic-Richardson-Duehr

Hanifin-Andersson

Zadorov-Tanev

Kylington-Gudbranson

Valimaki-Stone

Markstrom (Starter)

Vladar

Nice to see them sticking with Gaudreau on the top line. 

I am really curious to see what they do with the bottom pair. The right thing to do would be to waive Gudbranson, but I doubt they do that. The next best thing is to move Stone down. They won't waive Valamaki, and I hope they don't send Kylington down. 

22 minutes ago, kehatch said:

Nice to see them sticking with Gaudreau on the top line. 

I am really curious to see what they do with the bottom pair. The right thing to do would be to waive Gudbranson, but I doubt they do that. The next best thing is to move Stone down. They won't waive Valamaki, and I hope they don't send Kylington down. 

I too am curious.

The time to waive Gudbranson is right now, while teams are still evaluating.

Gives us some daily cap savings and pays him exactly what he signed for.

Gives us the ability to carry him as an extra without paying for an extra.

I think they will keep Kylington up as the #7 at worst.

Mackey goes to the AHL to get the needed reps.

Stone will get waived no doubt if Gudbranson does not.

The funny thing about Gudbranson is he fought Kassian and ended most of his season.

I think it might be safe to say that either Gudbranson or Ritchie will be in any BOA games this season.

I think that could be a mistake, but who knows.

We certainly don't want to play river hockey against EDM.

1 hour ago, kehatch said:

Tavev and Zadorov shouldn't be on a pairing. Not enough foot speed. They got stuck with a guy behind them multiple times last night, and they didn't look good the two games they played together. 

I'll admit I haven't watch full games, mostly highlights, but from what I've seen it's not going to be easy to find a pairing for Zadorov. I think they have to consider having Kylignton or Valimaki play the right side.