Darryl Sutter new head coach

The_Tribal Chief

Interesting! 

listening to the fan, they said His neighbors would call on him to find out what was wrong with the teams. It sounds like he’s had his eyes on the team at least a bit. I like how he’d joke about not having to listen to their radio shows now.

27 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Interesting! 

listening to the fan, they said His neighbors would call on him to find out what was wrong with the teams. It sounds like he’s had his eyes on the team at least a bit. I like how he’d joke about not having to listen to their radio shows now.

I'm interested to see the team's response to both the coaching change and the "win" in Ottawa.

They played well enough to win the 1st period, but let up a bit.

They weren't perfect by any stretch, but they did some things that they had stopped doing.

Tonight is a test against a touchy opponent.

They need to get into Mike's kitchen to get him off his game.

It's going to be difficult with the reffing looking to reward Oilers diving.

With any luck, the lineup puts the Oilers in a hole by using Neal with McDavid.

27 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I'm interested to see the team's response to both the coaching change and the "win" in Ottawa.

They played well enough to win the 1st period, but let up a bit.

They weren't perfect by any stretch, but they did some things that they had stopped doing.

Tonight is a test against a touchy opponent.

They need to get into Mike's kitchen to get him off his game.

It's going to be difficult with the reffing looking to reward Oilers diving.

With any luck, the lineup puts the Oilers in a hole by using Neal with McDavid.

it’ll be Huska behind the bench. I wonder how he will respond? 

51 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

it’ll be Huska behind the bench. I wonder how he will respond? 

Supposedly, he has talked extensively with Sutter, including Zoom calls.

If anything, they might have discussed the lineup.

Projected lineup has Nesterov in over Kylington, which is different from the suggestion there would be no lineup changes.

Neal is back to the 4th line.

Bear is out.

We will have out hands full, so I'm interested to see if Huska uses the OTT game as a model.

The 1st of the B2B Oiler games was uninspired at best.

Seemed like that was the 1st game where Tkachuk was neutered.

Think it’s time to temper the expectations of the impact that Sutter will have this season. He’s a proven coach and we all know what we can expect from his teams however this coaching change may have happened a little too late in the season. It’ll be extreme tough for this team to reach that magic 66pts that is the potential floor for playoff bound teams this year. We can’t afford to lose more than 10 games from this point on, which is a very tall ask. Sutter is demanding but these things take time, and time is not on our side. 

The coaching change was imperative but I’m not so sure Darryl will be the saviour who can salvage what’s looking like an already lost season. Well be better but we might have to start looking to next season to see the full results of this change. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, rickross said:

Think it’s time to temper the expectations of the impact that Sutter will have this season. He’s a proven coach and we all know what we can expect from his teams however this coaching change may have happened a little too late in the season. It’ll be extreme tough for this team to reach that magic 66pts that is the potential floor for playoff bound teams this year. We can’t afford to lose more than 10 games from this point on, which is a very tall ask. Sutter is demanding but these things take time, and time is not on our side. 

The coaching change was imperative but I’m not so sure Darryl will be the saviour who can salvage what’s looking like an already lost season. Well be better but we might have to start looking to next season to see the full results of this change. 

We've seen when Sutter is given a talented team, he can go all the way and win a Cup.  And we've also seen when he's given an average team, then he gets average results.  A coach can only push it's players to play at their best, not beyond.  

In my opinion, we have some talent.  It's playoff worthy and Sutter could possibly get us back to the playoffs.  To think we can go far is stretching it... Short of our opponent losing two of their best players to injury of course.

So regardless, we need a big trade.

17 minutes ago, rickross said:

This was a long term move, so one season is not the goal.  I think the 66 points is a moving target.  Every streak either way by each team has an impact.  Not as many 3 point games this year it seems.  Really the important thing is you play to keep pace with the teams directly in front of you.  We play MTL and EDM and TO over the next few weeks.

The results from that have a big bearing on the season.

The one thing I consider a plus is Sutter teams do not give up.  So, until we hit that point, we are still in this thing

15 hours ago, rickross said:

Yes I would say the same, its just too late for a guy to come in and make them winners, I believe he will change some things for sure and the style of play but I think his major concerns will be planning for next year, who is getting the axe and who can he bring in to fit in his style of team. This is just a time for him to evaulate the team and players plus getting his own team system in place.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I don't think this is the answer.  As much as we had expectations and it sucks, I think they stay the course, play some of the young guys and use the rest of the season to prepare for next. 

This offseason with the expansion draft will provide tons of opportunities in the trade market.  Making a trade midseason when they are desperate is just asking for trouble.  I am not opposed to it, just don't want a redo of the Phanuef trade.

Sutter can implement systems, evaluate talent and character and then this offseason is when changes can and will be made.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sobieit said:

I don't think this is the answer.  As much as we had expectations and it sucks, I think they stay the course, play some of the young guys and use the rest of the season to prepare for next. 

This offseason with the expansion draft will provide tons of opportunities in the trade market.  Making a trade midseason when they are desperate is just asking for trouble.  I am not opposed to it, just don't want a redo of the Phanuef trade.

Sutter can implement systems, evaluate talent and character and then this offseason is when changes can and will be made.

or trade deadline. Ones that aren’t the big trades but to add to a team. 

only way you make a deal with the core is if it’s a good deal. 

23 hours ago, The_People1 said:

We've seen when Sutter is given a talented team, he can go all the way and win a Cup.  And we've also seen when he's given an average team, then he gets average results.  A coach can only push it's players to play at their best, not beyond.  

In my opinion, we have some talent.  It's playoff worthy and Sutter could possibly get us back to the playoffs.  To think we can go far is stretching it... Short of our opponent losing two of their best players to injury of course.

Agreed.

No matter what we do, draft day is going to be our biggest day of the year.   If the entire right-hand side of the ice, goaltending, and a top center is "just a few missing pieces", then, yeah.  we're just short a few missing pieces.  I know people say it's our fourth line's fault.

And sure we'll go through those classic stages.   "Fire the coach!"   .... "Get a new fourth line!"   all classics on the unwaivering road to a rebuild.   Our fourth line is bad because we don't have a first line.  So our 5th line (per se) is playing 4th line.   To stay positive:

We've got Left Wing covered.

So we'll see what happens.  There's always a chance Sutter will turn Gaudreau into a 6'4 Right-handed power foward, make Monahan a premium center and wind back the clock on Giordano.

There's also the chance that doesn't happen and we have an epic, epic draft day.   

I'm interested to see how Dutter deals with the team.  There are issues with compete level, line design and PP execution.

1) Compete level - why does this continue to be an issue?  They look ready to go, but something happens when the puck drops.  It's not a long season                 and playing a game to win seems like a no-brainer.  What are they so tentative in playing?  

2) Line design - good that you can switch up the lines mid game to get a spark.  Why were the lines set up that way in the first place? 

3) PP execution - The PP was pretty stale last night and had dropped off the map in being effective.  One PP goal where they seemed to do things right,              but was never used for the other 7 tries?  There was one PP where Ras skated it out and couldn't even bump it back.  He skated across the ice, kept              looking back and barely got the pass back to Gaudreau.  The play ended up being a dump in at that.  Seriously?  This PP needs a big overhaul.

Whether Markstrom was the best choice for a start after being off for weeks and playing the night before is anyone's guess.  He wasn't the reason we lost, but at the same time the team might have played differently in front of Rittich.  I hope that Dutter manages the starts a bit better than the way they were previously.  

As for the decision to start Rinaldo, I wonder if that was a Sutter thing or it was a belief we would need to have a fight in this game.  He ended up with just over 2 minutes of ice time.  That's a luxury a team on a B2B can't afford.  The 4th line was on for the opening goal, playing against the top line.  We had last change.  How does that happen?  

4 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Agreed.

No matter what we do, draft day is going to be our biggest day of the year.   If the entire right-hand side of the ice, goaltending, and a top center is "just a few missing pieces", then, yeah.  we're just short a few missing pieces.  I know people say it's our fourth line's fault.

And sure we'll go through those classic stages.   "Fire the coach!"   .... "Get a new fourth line!"   all classics on the unwaivering road to a rebuild.   Our fourth line is bad because we don't have a first line.  So our 5th line (per se) is playing 4th line.   To stay positive:

We've got Left Wing covered.

So we'll see what happens.  There's always a chance Sutter will turn Gaudreau into a 6'4 Right-handed power foward, make Monahan a premium center and wind back the clock on Giordano.

There's also the chance that doesn't happen and we have an epic, epic draft day.   

The only way that the draft will be anything more than last year is if we miss the playoffs and somehow win the lotto.  Epic draft in a non-epic draft year.  We may end up with a mid-teens pick even if we get in the playoffs, or somewhere between 8th and 14th.  Just so many bad teams, many sit below 500 as we speak.   

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

The only way that the draft will be anything more than last year is if we miss the playoffs and somehow win the lotto.  Epic draft in a non-epic draft year.  We may end up with a mid-teens pick even if we get in the playoffs, or somewhere between 8th and 14th.  Just so many bad teams, many sit below 500 as we speak.   

How is a draft loaded with defencemen and goalies not epic?  These are the two most important positions in the game.

Do you remember when people were bumbed about the 2008 draft just being about defencemen?

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2008e.html

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

How is a draft loaded with defencemen and goalies not epic?  These are the two most important positions in the game.

Do you remember when people were bumbed about the 2008 draft just being about defencemen?

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2008e.html

I do and I also remember the best pick from that draft for Cgy was Lance Buma who is not even playing in the NHL now...none of the rest including G. nemize (sp?) epic fail draft year for us...though there were others, but I do get the your point there are a lot of good D still playing from that draft class today!

added to that maybe we could draft a Gio replacement this year...then we could say our d is solid for at least 4 years till Tanev’s contract expires...not a bad things at all😁👍

oh and Markstrom is good through that time too...so we could work on our forward lines pretty much exclusively for the next few years 👍😊

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MP5029 said:

I do and I also remember the best pick from that draft for Cgy was Lance Buma who is not even playing in the NHL now...none of the rest including G. nemize (sp?) epic fail draft year for us...though there were others, but I do get the your point there are a lot of good D still playing from that draft class today!

added to that maybe we could draft a Gio replacement this year...then we could say our d is solid for at least 4 years till Tanev’s contract expires...not a bad things at all😁👍

oh and Markstrom is good through that time too...so we could work on our forward lines pretty much exclusively for the next few years 👍😊

Yes lol....I didn't mean to bring that painful memory up of how we drafted forwards only in a defence heavy draft lol.  With John Carlson and Roman Josi among others still available and ranked higher.

that draft was so heavy you could pick up Erik Karlsson 15th overall.

This one looks aweful similar to me.     The trick is getting it right.  Defencemen are much, much, much harder to evaluate at 18 years.    But there are for sure some franchise changers in this draft and well....  I like Sutter, I really do.   But we're still going to be picking high.

This year's draft is likely to be a bit of a crap shoot, with significantly shortened seasons (at least in NA) over which to evaluate players.  My prediction is that there will be a higher rate of busts in the first round than usual, along with a higher rate of hits in later rounds.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

This year's draft is likely to be a bit of a crap shoot, with significantly shortened seasons (at least in NA) over which to evaluate players.  My prediction is that there will be a higher rate of busts in the first round than usual, along with a higher rate of hits in later rounds.

It's not just the shortened seasons it's that scouts have to do majority of their scouting via video, it's just not the same as in person viewing.

We'll start a draft thread later, but I think the 1st round of the draft will be fine. If anything though, I think you would see teams lean more towards the "safe" pick. 

I think the biggest issue teams will have is after the 1st round, the later rounds will be difficult as most CHL kids, are only playing 24 games. You've got a kid like Sean Tschigerl on the Hitmen, who should be drafted. He was ok last season and in ideal circumstances, would be poised for a big breakout season. However he only has 24 games to do it, then as an organization which do you weigh more? The 24 game sprint of a 2021 season, or essentially the full season a guy like Tschigerl played last year. It will be tough for evaluators. 

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

We'll start a draft thread later, but I think the 1st round of the draft will be fine. If anything though, I think you would see teams lean more towards the "safe" pick. 

I think the biggest issue teams will have is after the 1st round, the later rounds will be difficult as most CHL kids, are only playing 24 games. You've got a kid like Sean Tschigerl on the Hitmen, who should be drafted. He was ok last season and in ideal circumstances, would be poised for a big breakout season. However he only has 24 games to do it, then as an organization which do you weigh more? The 24 game sprint of a 2021 season, or essentially the full season a guy like Tschigerl played last year. It will be tough for evaluators. 

isnt that where you take the kid in a later round, like the Mangiapane pick?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JTech780 said:

It's not just the shortened seasons it's that scouts have to do majority of their scouting via video, it's just not the same as in person viewing.

yeah this draft is definitely unique, that's for sure.    But I don't think these factors have much play into the quality of the players.    If a draft is loaded with defencemen and goalies....it...just us.   Truthfully, what the NHL should do is just change the draft age to 19, and skip this year altogether.   The only reason it's 18 is the Gretzky fiasco and I think we're all past that.   But...they won't.  lol.

12 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

And there it is, Eric Francis reporting on how much of a taskmaster he thinks the new bench boss will be.  And how much the team deserves it.  And how much this will be coach picking out the "slackers" if they happen to be benched.  EF has his opinions about players and will use anything to prop them up.  I'm sure he will start going on about Gaudreau not fitting in the coach's plans.  How he will be traded the end of this season at the latest.

I think that Sutter will have an opinion of what he wants to see, but this has to be balanced against the types of players we have.  Lazy backcheck or soft passes bad, effort on offense good.  Tkachuk needs to finish his shifts as much as anyone.