UFA 2020, Who’d You Sign?

robrob74

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Not too surprising. I’ve felt that the Blues wouldn’t have extended Faulk if they felt a Pietrangelo signing was likely.

If we aren't going to rebuild, then let's offer Pietrangelo $10-mil x 7... He probably won't even take it but we need him.  This is what we get for not drafting RHS RD.  There is no other good option.  If we aren't rebuilding then let's push all the chips in and go for it.

30 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

If we aren't going to rebuild, then let's offer Pietrangelo $10-mil x 7... He probably won't even take it but we need him.  This is what we get for not drafting RHS RD.  There is no other good option.  If we aren't rebuilding then let's push all the chips in and go for it.

I would be okay in giving him a big salary.

Defense was one of the things that let us down.

Scoring and making passes to the F.

We cheap out on a coach, yet pay Neal way too much.

Make a deal that makes sense for the team

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

That’s interesting! Wow. What’s the term is the big question. I wonder if the sticking point for Petro’s camp is knowing the structure (and term) of the contract, or that the dollar value isn’t high enough... that’s some significant cheddar and I didn’t think the Blues could go that high on an offer. 

4 hours ago, lou44291 said:

That’s interesting! Wow. What’s the term is the big question. I wonder if the sticking point for Petro’s camp is knowing the structure (and term) of the contract, or that the dollar value isn’t high enough... that’s some significant cheddar and I didn’t think the Blues could go that high on an offer. 

It's not much of a raise.  I don't get why they would treat him that way.

Anyway it sounds like he's going to FA.

An interesting player and worth more than EK,

Not that any D is worth that much coin, but comp wise.

Of course, TO is linked to him because every player wants to return home.

I think we could go high 8's on 6 or 7 years

Not that we should but it's a tough call

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

It's not much of a raise.  I don't get why they would treat him that way.

Anyway it sounds like he's going to FA.

An interesting player and worth more than EK,

Not that any D is worth that much coin, but comp wise.

Of course, TO is linked to him because every player wants to return home.

I think we could go high 8's on 6 or 7 years

Not that we should but it's a tough call

I don't know how likely a Flames pursuit of Petro is.

The one advantage the Flames have is that they have enough cap to sign him without significant roster surgery.  TOR has to move Dermott/Kerfoot/Johnsson just to squeeze him in and then they have to find cheap players to fill those holes. 

50 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The one advantage the Flames have is that they have enough cap to sign him without significant roster surgery.  TOR has to move Dermott/Kerfoot/Johnsson just to squeeze him in and then they have to find cheap players to fill those holes. 

Of all the players out there, Pietrangelo is the biggest difference maker.

If we can only expect 2 good years out of Gio, then we need that top RD to allow Valimaki or Hanifin to be top LD.

This essentially solves the problem on D for the next 5 years, possibly longer.

Bringing back Brodie is running in place.

Trading for Dumba adds another 3/4 D.

Signing Hall gives us a chance to get back to 2018/19 scoring, but without the D improvements it's less likely.

Two greatest needs; goaltending and top 2 RD.

We can add to depth on the wings which shouldn't break the bank.

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Pietrangelo needs to be #1 target.  Not saying we get him but we have to try.  Between he and Andersson, our RD problems would be solved for 5 years.  Pietro's got at least 5 all star years before he shows slowing down.

I would go with Markstrom as the target. 

what if Fleury, 2mil retained  and a player or a pick could be had for Rittich, do we do that instead? I am thinking the retain would be for the years after Rittich’s contract is up. I’ve never fully liked Fleury but is he a guy you could get behind if his contract was 1-2 mil less?

i still sign Markstrom and Pietro, and try for Hall. Then get rid of Monahan and Gaudreau and Hanifin in some ways. But that’s the dream scenario. 

I think if you could sign Pietro then you gotta go Talbot for a bit of savings, then you do Hall too. 

then trade Monahan for Dumba and a pick. 

Tkachuk, Lindholm, Dube
Hall, Bennett, Gaudreau

Lucic, Backlund, Mangiapane 

Quine, Gawdin, Reider

Giordano, Pietrangelo 

Valamaki, Dumba

Kylington, Andersson 

obviously I haven’t taken into consideration cap... 😂

32 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

what if Fleury, 2mil retained  and a player or a pick could be had for Rittich, do we do that instead? I am thinking the retain would be for the years after Rittich’s contract is up. I’ve never fully liked Fleury but is he a guy you could get behind if his contract was 1-2 mil less?

i still sign Markstrom and Pietro, and try for Hall. Then get rid of Monahan and Gaudreau and Hanifin in some ways. But that’s the dream scenario. 

I think if you could sign Pietro then you gotta go Talbot for a bit of savings, then you do Hall too. 

then trade Monahan for Dumba and a pick. 

Tkachuk, Lindholm, Dube
Hall, Bennett, Gaudreau

Lucic, Backlund, Mangiapane 

Quine, Gawdin, Reider

Giordano, Pietrangelo 

Valamaki, Dumba

Kylington, Andersson 

obviously I haven’t taken into consideration cap... 😂

Fleury will be 36 years old before the start of next season. He can still stop pucks but does not give us that long term stability. I'm thinking we would need BSD to play 30-35 games in a compressed season next year as well.

53 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I think Vegas will have a very difficult time offloading the Fleury contract. I just don't see teams clamouring them to help. If Fleury is traded, it won't be cheap for Vegas, I think teams intend to take advantage of Vegas, just like Vegas did to other teams in expansion.

If they want the Flames to take Fluery, ok, but include Peyton Krebs and retain some money

35 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think Vegas will have a very difficult time offloading the Fleury contract. I just don't see teams clamouring them to help. If Fleury is traded, it won't be cheap for Vegas, I think teams intend to take advantage of Vegas, just like Vegas did to other teams in expansion.

If they want the Flames to take Fluery, ok, but include Peyton Krebs and retain some money

and that’s really what I was wondering, what more would it take from Vegas to Get that kind of a deal done. But I think the fact he’s this old it could be a very dangerous contract. 

56 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

Fleury will be 36 years old before the start of next season. He can still stop pucks but does not give us that long term stability. I'm thinking we would need BSD to play 30-35 games in a compressed season next year as well.

1 hour ago, CheersMan said:

Markstrom...

Vancouver has #1 goalie money to spend, if not Markstrom, who would old Jimbo have his eye on? Holtby? Lehner? Murray?

Vancouver would need to protect him or Demko.

Heard a rumour that he wants protection in the expansion draft, but VAN is unwilling to do it.

We could easily do it.

19 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I would go as high as $10... after that, it gets really uncomfortable.

no thank you he’s 30 and getting older he’s gonna decline soon so 10 mil and term is fine for a under 30 player is reasonable over 30 it’s only worth while if:

1. the team is a solid contender and is looking for added insurance or filling a small hole....none of this fits Calgary at the moment.

2. if your looking for a stop gap which would be a short term 1-2 year thing...this kinda fits Calgary BUT not the player, he’s looking for term to take him to or very close to the end of his career to which is not fitting Calgary at all..we have that in Gio which in all honesty we should be looking to move if possible...

what Calgary really needs to do is be looking for a younger (under 30) top 4 d or even 2 of them, probably by way of trade.

2 hours ago, MP5029 said:

no thank you he’s 30 and getting older he’s gonna decline soon so 10 mil and term is fine for a under 30 player is reasonable over 30 it’s only worth while if:

Stud D are different.  They win Norris Trophies for the first time well into their 30s.  You've got plenty of older D playing at peak until 35/36 before a drop off.  Someone like Chara was effective well into his early 40s.  Pietro has been healthy his entire career so nothing is holding him back.

2 hours ago, MP5029 said:

..we have that in Gio which in all honesty we should be looking to move if possible...

100% agree.

I was coming from the reality that the Flames aren't rebuilding but doubling down instead.  So if that's the case, push the chips in.  Don't go young but go for players at the peak of their prime.

21 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Vancouver would need to protect him or Demko.

Heard a rumour that he wants protection in the expansion draft, but VAN is unwilling to do it.

We could easily do it.

Ah, I forgot about teams and their strategy leading into the Seattle expansion draft.

Archived