UFA 2020, Who’d You Sign?

robrob74

1 hour ago, CheersMan said:

Ah, I forgot about teams and their strategy leading into the Seattle expansion draft.

Hey, I'm not saying it's true or makes sense, but a team would prefer to have options.

If Demko was to outplay Markstrom and he had a NMC, they would be sunk.

Well, at least he would be one of the better/younger goalies available to Seattle.

As far as CGY, when has BT given one out?

He's "honoring" Lucic's right now, but that might have strings.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Hey, I'm not saying it's true or makes sense, but a team would prefer to have options.

If Demko was to outplay Markstrom and he had a NMC, they would be sunk.

Well, at least he would be one of the better/younger goalies available to Seattle.

As far as CGY, when has BT given one out?

He's "honoring" Lucic's right now, but that might have strings.

He has not and even gone so far as to publicly declare that their policy is not to give out NMC and they are ok if that costs them a player (says it already has). 

Two weeks ago I would have said there is no point in signing any UFA's because this needs to rebuild. Now that I have come to grips that a rebuild isn't happening for at least another 2-3 years, these are the UFA's I would target.

1. Taylor Hall LW: There has been plenty of smoke suggesting Calgary and Hall have mutual interest in making a deal. He is a former MVP. I think his deal will be a bit cheaper than we expect, 7 years at $7-8m.

2. Jacob Markstrom G: We need a number one goalie. Getting Markstrom would keep him away from one of our rivals. He is good friends with Lindholm. 5 years at $5.5m 

3. Tyson Barrie RD: We need a PP QB. We also need RD. Barrie had a bit of a down year and the Toronto media tore him up, it should bring his value down a bit. 4 years at $4m.

We will need to move some contracts to make this all work. Gaudreau and Ryan would be the most likely add Hanifin as another contract we can move.

47 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Two weeks ago I would have said there is no point in signing any UFA's because this needs to rebuild. Now that I have come to grips that a rebuild isn't happening for at least another 2-3 years, these are the UFA's I would target.

1. Taylor Hall LW: There has been plenty of smoke suggesting Calgary and Hall have mutual interest in making a deal. He is a former MVP. I think his deal will be a bit cheaper than we expect, 7 years at $7-8m.

2. Jacob Markstrom G: We need a number one goalie. Getting Markstrom would keep him away from one of our rivals. He is good friends with Lindholm. 5 years at $5.5m 

3. Tyson Barrie RD: We need a PP QB. We also need RD. Barrie had a bit of a down year and the Toronto media tore him up, it should bring his value down a bit. 4 years at $4m.

We will need to move some contracts to make this all work. Gaudreau and Ryan would be the most likely add Hanifin as another contract we can move.

I would be okay with the first two, but if we were targeting Pietrangelo, I only see the need to sign Markstrom.  

We should be looking to move Ryan now while he has some value; I don't think you need a #4C making that much and it's not like we have nobody else ready.

Hanifin only needs to be moved if we are bringing in Pietrangelo.

I think that Valimaki could take over 16-18 minutes to start with.

Leaves us Mackey and Kylington/Yelesin.

I don't think that we need Hall at that point.

Maybe if we moved Hanifin and Gaudreau, we have the holes fixed elsewhere.

Maybe we don't

10 minutes ago, cross16 said:

According to Andy Strickland, Blues insider, the Blues latest offer to Peitrangelo was 8X8. The counter from his camp was closer to 9 or slightly over, but also they were arguing over bonus structure (and apparently Blues don't do signing bonuses) and a NMC. 

as well, they mentioned that the camps were "far apart" and had no meaningful movement.

I guess the 8x8 was about the only thing they upped.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Same, I must come to terms with the fact we won't do the right thing and rebuild.  So,

Taylor Hall at $7-mil-AAV is a good deal... But I'd rather we spend the money on Pietrangelo.  RD is a major need for us.  LW isn't.  Worst case we just keep Gaudreau until UFA.

That said, Hall to Calgary is likely but Pietro isn't.  

Veto Barrie for me.  We need a RD to pair with Giordano for big minutes and big situations.  Barrie isn't this guy.  Can't trust him with big minutes and should be sheltered and used on the PP... Might as well bring back Gustafson on the cheap in that case.

Markstrom.... He's honestly only had 1 good year and he's 30 turning 31.  Giving him a 5-year deal is a huge gamble.  Paid until 36-years-old?  No thanks.  He would be a huge anchor in 3 years.

Hall: I like Hall as a player but this only makes sense is 1 of 2 things happen. 1 - he gives you a deal on the contract and 2 - the plan is to move Gaudreau for other pieces and you get a good offer to move him elsewhere. If it's a situation where they are moving him just to move him and bring in Hall I don't think that changes anything. 

Pietrangelo: I love the player but I would lean away from doing this deal unless you can shorten the term. If it's a max term at something around 9 I think I would pass as I just think that's a killer of a contract. 

Markstrom: Again like the player but the deal has to be right here. If the AAV can start with a 5 and the term 5 or less than I'm interested but anything more and I thikn you need to pass. I do think this is one of the top 10 goalies in the league though so the target makes a ton of sense. Keumper is better but if you can get Markstrom without giving up the pick I think you are better off. Given that he doesn't have a ton of miles on him i'm less concerned about age. 

I'm also a no on Barrie. don't mind the player but really don't like the fit. 

Some others I would check in on:

Pat Marron: 1 year deal on the cheap gives the 4th line a more usefull presence and punch

Corey Perry: I'm made at myself for even writing it but the fit makes a ton of sense. 

Kyle Clifford: Same argument for Marroon. Avoid term here though. 

Justin Schultz: Wouldn't be aggressive on it but if he wants a 1 year prove it style deal I thikn he is a good fit. Gives them a RS 3rd pairing but also a PP QB. 

Dylan Demelo: If they want to replace Brodie alongside Gio in FA I think this guy is there best bet. A lot of similarities in their game. 

Not a good FA market this year so my interest in pretty limited. I'm intrigued by players like Dandanov and Hoffman but they are usually the players you avoid in FA but they are ripe for overpays but if the economic landscape is different they both fill needs. 

I think Barrie does check some boxes for us, that being said if the PP QB can be addressed via a Gaudreau trade I am fine with passing on Barrie. For example if we did trade Gaudreau to Philly and had to take Gostisbehere in return we probably wouldn't have room for Barrie.

As far as Markstrom, I would rather give out a few extra years on his term, 5 year deal max, than give a 1st to Pittsburgh or Arizona for their goalies.

The Hall vs Gaudreau debate is really interesting, and I totally understand both side of the debate. From my standpoint, I will take the reduction in regular season performance and take the increased production in the playoffs.

With Pietro, my guess is bonus structure would be the guaranteed money up front which I wonder if the player has to pay back in escrow? He probably wants the real money now while everyone is having to take cuts, as with a lot of those signing bonus structures have been agreed prior to Covid. Maybe instead of front loading, he’d want it back loaded when the fans come back.

44 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

$6m seems high. I was thinking $5.5m would be the max, but what's another $500K. He is right there as being the best goalie available, with Kuemper, Markstrom doesn't cost you a 1st round pick.

I'm actually a bit surprised that's his ask I thought it might be more. 

If that is the ask I'd offer him less and make him choose between winning or money because Detroit isn't going to be winning anytime soon. So my takeaway is you probably can get Markstrom for 5-5.5 on his AAV. 

20 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Another player I'd look at for a one year flier is Alex Galchenyuk. It's hard to see a great fit unless some trades are made but if they got to that point he's a shooter and a presence I think they could use on either PP. 

He's a decent candidate for a one year deal on the cheap.  Has the scoring pedigree, but a rough couple seasons have tanked his value. Could maybe be had for under 2 million.

Any interest out there for Krug? If we move on from Hanifin, Krug could be a solid offensive d-man addition on the left side.

4 hours ago, ABC923 said:

He's a decent candidate for a one year deal on the cheap.  Has the scoring pedigree, but a rough couple seasons have tanked his value. Could maybe be had for under 2 million.

Any interest out there for Krug? If we move on from Hanifin, Krug could be a solid offensive d-man addition on the left side.

What I think is needed is a couple stay-at-home big d men. preferably RHS.

I’d like to sign Petro.
- If we land Petro, Hanifin needs to be on the next train out.
- Trade him for picks/prospects, or as part of a bigger deal to land a player in a position of need. 

- Craig Custance of the Athletic had Hanifin on his trade board, reporting BT may already be trying to ship him out. Put his salary toward Petro. 

I’d like to sign Hall too. 

- If we sign Hall, Gaudreau should be on his way out. 
- Package him with Hanifin or even Monahan. 
- Hall hopefully wants to play for Calgary, and comes in with a cheaper salary. 

Then we could even sign Markstrom. 
- It sounds like Markstrom may value expansion/trade protection over salary. 

4 hours ago, lou44291 said:

I’d like to sign Petro.
- If we land Petro, Hanifin needs to be on the next train out.
- Trade him for picks/prospects, or as part of a bigger deal to land a player in a position of need. 

- Craig Custance of the Athletic had Hanifin on his trade board, reporting BT may already be trying to ship him out. Put his salary toward Petro. 

I’d like to sign Hall too. 

- If we sign Hall, Gaudreau should be on his way out. 
- Package him with Hanifin or even Monahan. 
- Hall hopefully wants to play for Calgary, and comes in with a cheaper salary. 

Then we could even sign Markstrom. 
- It sounds like Markstrom may value expansion/trade protection over salary. 

There's a risk in making too many moves at once.

Sign Pietrangelo and Markstrom.

Trade Hanifin for a RW.

The top line played a lot better when Gio was having a Norris season.

See what adding a proven performer does to that group.

Of course, if you know that Gaudreau wants out, then you find the best deal available.

If it's picks and prospects coming back, then you sign Hall.

11 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

While I get those other destinations based on their needs, how the heck is Vegas going to manage the cap, if they haven;t even settled with the remaining RFA's as well as re-signed Lehner.  Nobody is going to help them out by taking MAF.  EVen then, that's not enough space.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

While I get those other destinations based on their needs, how the heck is Vegas going to manage the cap, if they haven;t even settled with the remaining RFA's as well as re-signed Lehner.  Nobody is going to help them out by taking MAF.  EVen then, that's not enough space.

Yeah, no idea how Vegas makes it work. They can trade Fleury if they eat money, but will need a backup still. They can trade Stastny, but it creates a huge hole in the middle for them. 

Toronto needs to move Kerfoot, Johnnson, Dermott and maybe Holl to make it work. 

Flames could sign Petro without jumping through a bunch of hoops. Derek Ryan might be the only necessary move. 

34 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Yeah, no idea how Vegas makes it work. They can trade Fleury if they eat money, but will need a backup still. They can trade Stastny, but it creates a huge hole in the middle for them. 

Toronto needs to move Kerfoot, Johnnson, Dermott and maybe Holl to make it work. 

Flames could sign Petro without jumping through a bunch of hoops. Derek Ryan might be the only necessary move. 

Yeah, I would suggest we may want to move Hanifin just to add a RW for that money.

It's not like we have to.

But, I don;t think we can do Hall + goalie + Pietrangelo.

Not without moving Gaudreau.

From an age and abaility for the next 3 years, it makes a lot of sense to move Gio.

He's the one whose age stands out.

EVerywhere else we are 30-ish or less.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Every team is asking the same question of the Flames.  How to manage the cap after adding Pietro.  We still have other positions to fill.  So, I think if a team wants to make it work, they will.  Even the Leafs.  Don't worry about it.

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Let's do it.  If we're not going to rebuild then we should go for it.  Upgrade RHS RD.  Add a Cup winning voice in the locker room.  Pietro will play 26-minutes a night and be a difference maker.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Yeah, I would suggest we may want to move Hanifin just to add a RW for that money.

It's not like we have to.

But, I don;t think we can do Hall + goalie + Pietrangelo.

Not without moving Gaudreau.

I definitely think the Flames can do 1 of Hall/Petro/Markstrom.

Hall or Petro means you likely have to go Rittich/Talbot in net.  I think a Hall or Petro signing would mean BT doubling down on the group again and we wouldn't see much in the way of changes. Hall would likely sign here to play with Johnny.

Archived