MILAN LUCIC

rickross

You Know I didnt Care for the Trade at First But after i looked at this in Depth i looked at 2 things

What did Neal bring Last Year Nothing

You Bring in a Bad Contract ok But

Then you Read Someone like Milan Lucic is trying to improve His Game buy going to Adam oats

So What this do

Well possibly Add a Better Lucic but Also a Gritty Lucic Aswell So you Get rid of someone that Did nothing for a Player Helping Himself to be Better and that Can show Grit When

Needed And Protect Our players

Cause No Matter Who you are in the League You are gonna Watch how you Hit Jh Mony etc Cause most players know as soon as lucic gets on the ice he is gonna have your Number

15 minutes ago, The_Snowbear said:

You Know I didnt Care for the Trade at First But after i looked at this in Depth i looked at 2 things

What did Neal bring Last Year Nothing

You Bring in a Bad Contract ok But

Then you Read Someone like Milan Lucic is trying to improve His Game buy going to Adam oats

So What this do

Well possibly Add a Better Lucic but Also a Gritty Lucic Aswell So you Get rid of someone that Did nothing for a Player Helping Himself to be Better and that Can show Grit When

Needed And Protect Our players

Cause No Matter Who you are in the League You are gonna Watch how you Hit Jh Mony etc Cause most players know as soon as lucic gets on the ice he is gonna have your Number

Yup we all have our fingers crossed that Lucic pans out especially Lucic and BT.

9 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I'm talking about 5-on-5 though.  Lucic would bring protection for Gaudreau in a big way as long as Lucic can keep up.   Sorta what Ferland did on that line.  Maybe Lucic can score 40-points if on the top line all year.  

Just an idea to free up Lindholm for the 2nd line.  Lindholm is a better Frolik.  So Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm should work.  What we lose in offense by moving Lindholm off the top line, we gain in offense on the second line.  

I can see that working for about 5 minutes a night.  Lindholm was really underrated for his speed and finish.

More than a few times, it was Lindholm involved in a 2-1 rush, not Monahan.

Can't say it won't work, but Looch is slow.

As slow or slower than Neal.

The only thing he helps JH with is potential retribution; ie. nuclear deterent.

I'm fine with that.

If he turns back into a 20 goal guy, awesome.

About as likely as Neal doing that here.

10 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Ya Bennett is like Matt Lombardi in some ways.  Skates too fast for his hands and brain to keep up.  Tunnel vision.  He could benefit from coaching by one of the greatest playmakers/passers of his era.  Learn to see the ice better.

Funny you say that, cause Lombardi is exactly who I was thinking of..him and Martian St. Louis in his early years here in Cgy, the latter of those two obviously figured it all out and became a star the former had a decent career and showed signs of brilliance.  I’m of the thought Oats could help Bennett’s career become like St. Louis otherwise he may be a high first round Draft pick Lombardi...not a horrible thing but I’d rather see him more like St. Louis then Lombardi...two players I also really liked here😊 

It’s a cool story and I’m happy to see lucic taking steps to improve his game and back up his words about how he was embarrassed of his performance up in Edmonton. 

But I don’t think it means flames should get ahead of themselves and start thinking lucic is a top 6 option. Flames just have better options there and I don’t think the my can afford to have his lack of speed there. 

I would be more optimistic about the PP and Lucic maybe becoming an option for the 2nd unit. The 2nd unit doesn’t really have the players that can play either at the net or in the middle of the 1-3-1 so if Lucic can work on some positioning, passing and puck handling maybe he can be an option for those 2 spots and give the 2nd unit something. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

It’s a cool story and I’m happy to see lucic taking steps to improve his game and back up his words about how he was embarrassed of his performance up in Edmonton. 

But I don’t think it means flames should get ahead of themselves and start thinking lucic is a top 6 option. Flames just have better options there and I don’t think the my can afford to have his lack of speed there. 

I would be more optimistic about the PP and Lucic maybe becoming an option for the 2nd unit. The 2nd unit doesn’t really have the players that can play either at the net or in the middle of the 1-3-1 so if Lucic can work on some positioning, passing and puck handling maybe he can be an option for those 2 spots and give the 2nd unit something. 

For some reason, Lucic played as the point man on the Oilers PP.  I would've thought he'd fit best in front of the net, screening, deflecting, and picking up garbage.  My guess is Lucic played the point on the Bruins PP too and was highly successful?

46 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

For some reason, Lucic played as the point man on the Oilers PP.  I would've thought he'd fit best in front of the net, screening, deflecting, and picking up garbage.  My guess is Lucic played the point on the Bruins PP too and was highly successful?

Not too familiar with his positioning on the PP to be honest. Looking at his PP production it’s pretty below avg for the most part save for 1 or 2 seasons where he took off. His most successful year was in Edm during his first season but it appears to be unsustainable. 

Hes never really been a great PP option in his career. 

I would try Lucic on the 1st pp unit. I get the idea of having one super unit, but i also think when the games get tighter that super unit becomes easier to shut down by not having a good 2nd unit.

ir at the very least put more talent on the 2nd unit. Spread it better.

12 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I would try Lucic on the 1st pp unit. I get the idea of having one super unit, but i also think when the games get tighter that super unit becomes easier to shut down by not having a good 2nd unit.

ir at the very least put more talent on the 2nd unit. Spread it better.

I think the PP should be somewhat fluid, for example if the 1st line (Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm) is out there when the penalty occurs and you have to start the "2nd PP" put Tkachuk out there and hold Lucic or Bennett back to go with the 1st PP. This way you are putting your best available skill out to start the PP. If you can load up to start the PP then put your best skill out there. IMO it has to be fluid it also means that you have to run the same schemes for both units.

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I think the PP should be somewhat fluid, for example if the 1st line (Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm) is out there when the penalty occurs and you have to start the "2nd PP" put Tkachuk out there and hold Lucic or Bennett back to go with the 1st PP. This way you are putting your best available skill out to start the PP. If you can load up to start the PP then put your best skill out there. IMO it has to be fluid it also means that you have to run the same schemes for both units.

I like it, but I still don’t want to overload unless you’re trailing in the 3rd (fluid). 

I really hate when the 2nd unit basically has no chance to score due to overload on the first unit. 

Plus i I think more should get the chance to get a feel for the pp so they can be comfy playing it. 

5 hours ago, cross16 said:

Not too familiar with his positioning on the PP to be honest. Looking at his PP production it’s pretty below avg for the most part save for 1 or 2 seasons where he took off. His most successful year was in Edm during his first season but it appears to be unsustainable. 

Hes never really been a great PP option in his career. 

he actually did very well in Boston, which is a good thing , since that was under Geoff Ward,  so if he has use there we have the coach already that knows how to use him 

I agree we should temper expectations, but i do feel strongly one way or the other this time next year we will be saying good things about him 

• Like 1

Luuuuuch. Let me say welcome to the flames. Ain’t going to lie - didn’t love the trade. Nothing personal, it’s your cap hit. In fact, I was a big fan of your game and intensity in Boston. I could see your drive to win. Didn’t see the same from you in Edmonton. Something was different there. I hope you find the flames a better fit for you. I hope you see an opportunity to win here. I hope you can do something special. I’m already routing for you. 

• Like 3

On 8/12/2019 at 8:48 PM, lou44291 said:

Luuuuuch. Let me say welcome to the flames. Ain’t going to lie - didn’t love the trade. Nothing personal, it’s your cap hit. In fact, I was a big fan of your game and intensity in Boston. I could see your drive to win. Didn’t see the same from you in Edmonton. Something was different there. I hope you find the flames a better fit for you. I hope you see an opportunity to win here. I hope you can do something special. I’m already routing for you. 

The bar is set so low that there's nowhere to go but up for Lucic.

As a side note, i don't believe anyone laid a finger on McDavid during Lucic's time in Edmonton.  When the Flames had McGratton, Gaudreau enjoyed a lot of space and time on the ice.  Then, without McGratton, Gaudreau was hacked and slashed more than Golden Axe.  I have a good feeling Lucic will buy Johnny some time and space again.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

The bar is set so low that there's nowhere to go but up for Lucic.

As a side note, i don't believe anyone laid a finger on McDavid during Lucic's time in Edmonton.  When the Flames had McGratton, Gaudreau enjoyed a lot of space and time on the ice.  Then, without McGratton, Gaudreau was hacked and slashed more than Golden Axe.  I have a good feeling Lucic will buy Johnny some time and space again.

It is a shame that we do not play Edmonton until December. A really good check to an Oiler would give him a great start to the season. 

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

As a side note, i don't believe anyone laid a finger on McDavid during Lucic's time in Edmonton. 

Unfortunately I disagree, all last season the narrative around Edmonton was that mcdavid was being taken advantage of and nobody was defending him. Look at the first BOA last year, the flames picked on mcdavid and draisaitl and the oilers really did nothing about it

24 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Unfortunately I disagree, all last season the narrative around Edmonton was that mcdavid was being taken advantage of and nobody was defending him. Look at the first BOA last year, the flames picked on mcdavid and draisaitl and the oilers really did nothing about it

Fair. 

But I meant nobody Brandon Manning'd McDavid.  Nobody injured him intentionally.  Teams will still play McDavid and Gaudreau tough.  There won't be an easy pass there.  I'm excited for us because we have a heavy weight enforcer again.  It should help compared to last season.

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

IIRC that first game Matty ruffled some feathers and Kassian jumped him and took a triple minor in the process, that is a major deterrent for seeking retribution, nobody has to answer and the refs will 99% of the time call it when someone starts punching a guy.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lucic is looking a little more trim coming into camp this year, judging from the video on the main site. 

Also from listening to Peters interview on the 960 this morning, have to like that Lucic asked to play a ton of pre season games so that the coach can best judge how to use him. Most vets don't want to play any pre season games, so that he wants to play a lot is a good sign.

I realize that he isn't going to be an impact player the way he used to be, but you at least have to give it to the guy for coming to Calgary with the right attitude, something Neal didn't do from the get go.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Lucic is looking a little more trim coming into camp this year, judging from the video on the main site. 

Also from listening to Peters interview on the 960 this morning, have to like that Lucic asked to play a ton of pre season games so that the coach can best judge how to use him. Most vets don't want to play any pre season games, so that he wants to play a lot is a good sign.

I realize that he isn't going to be an impact player the way he used to be, but you at least have to give it to the guy for coming to Calgary with the right attitude, something Neal didn't do from the get go.

That's what bothered me the most about Neal.

I thought he was enough of a pro to realize that he needed to train hard after a cup run, not just take a vacation and come in lazy.

Not expecting Lucic to make a difference, but at least he is saying and doing the right things.

That's what you want from a guy needing to turn things around.

49 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Hopefully he's a little faster than he was the past few seasons because this isn't 2009 anymore.

5 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I realize that Lucic isn't going to be an impact player the way he used to be, but you at least have to give it to the guy for coming to Calgary with the right attitude, something Neal didn't do from the get go.

I hear ya JTech...

Lucic hasn't been putting up points for the last 2 seasons, but at least he still made some positive contributions to the Oil with his defensive play...

If we look at some stats from last season, the Coilers allowed 5.3 fewer shot attempts and .70 fewer goals per 60 minutes (5v5) when Lucic was on the ice...   Both stats were among the best on the team...

He was 7th in the league with 259 hits for an average of 3.37 a game...

As for his Corsi for % last season, he still had had 50.72, making that 12 seasons in a row he's been above 50%...   and that  is pretty impressive...

I'll put a couple of stat charts below to compare Neal and Lucic last season...   and that is more of the point here...   I am not expecting Lucic to do what he did in Boston, but I do expect that he will make a bigger contribution to the Flames than Neal did...   We all know that both Neal and Lucic are on bad contracts, but at least I can think of a few things where I can reasonably expect Lucic to bring some positives to the team, and I really can't come up with much of anything positive to say about Neal for his time with the Flames last season...   Lucic had 23 goals and 27 assist in his first season with the Oil in 2016-17, and even though I certainly wouldn't bet he'll get back to that level, maybe if we are lucky he can improve on his point totals for the last couple of seasons enough to make us all feel a lot better about the trade...

D3gvUwpl.png

• Like 3