MILAN LUCIC

rickross

Alex Chiasson scored 22 goals last year for the Oilers. Ty Rattie looked like a stud in preseason playing a top 6 role. 

of course Neals numbers were going to bounce back. How much and does it make the Oilers better remains to be seen IMO. I know this is going to remain a story but it really shouldn’t be. I’ve heard more than enough stories that tell me Neal just had to go. I don’t think there was an option not would he look like that here. 

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Alex Chiasson scored 22 goals last year for the Oilers. Ty Rattie looked like a stud in preseason playing a top 6 role. 

of course Neals numbers were going to bounce back. How much and does it make the Oilers better remains to be seen IMO. I know this is going to remain a story but it really shouldn’t be. I’ve heard more than enough stories that tell me Neal just had to go. I don’t think there was an option not would he look like that here. 

Nuge, McD and Draisaitl all had career years last year.

Kassian and Chaisson both benefitted from top line, #1PP time.

That wasn't the problem.

Depth scoring was.

Both Kass and Chaisson scored little outside the top 6.

If Lucic was supposed to provide that, they were mistaken.

So, this year they have a guy to replace Chaisson in the top 6.

Doesn't help much. 

I thought Lucic was a difference maker last night, sure he didn't score 4 goals, but his fight helped swing the momentum back in our favour and woke his team up. You could see that team feels much more confident about their physical game with Lucic around to make sure things don't get out of hand.

He has also done a very good job of getting in on the forecheck and using his size to keep pucks alive in the offensive zone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Neal's gain is Chiasson's loss so i see the Oilers taking a step sideways here.

Lucic has been solid for us.  1.5 fights in 3 games (don't really count the Zadorov one as a fight.)  As long as Lucic can play this role, then that takes pressure away from Hamonic to be the guy and let's Bennett not have to fight.

To be a little fair to Neal I do think it's frustrating the the Flames had a really up and down PP last year and could not find more ways to use him. The only frustration I have in this is Neal has 4 PP goals and the 2nd unit here still looks like a tire fire. 

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I thought Lucic was a difference maker last night, sure he didn't score 4 goals, but his fight helped swing the momentum back in our favour and woke his team up. You could see that team feels much more confident about their physical game with Lucic around to make sure things don't get out of hand.

He has also done a very good job of getting in on the forecheck and using his size to keep pucks alive in the offensive zone.

I counted at least two plays where he used his size to prevent a play from happening.

Not a big fan of using him in last minue situations or on the PP.

That is not the right choice.

As tough as Lucic is, i hope we get another tough guy on the team somehow to help Lucic with the load.  He can't fight 2 times in 3 games the rest of the season.  That's too much.  

I think we miss a Derek Engellend on the bottom pair D.  Or, someone like Kurtis MacDermid who rekt us yesterday.  He's a nobody but he made our whole team focus on him.  Or like a Zadorov.  That's the kind of 6th Dman we need.

Lucic wasn't acquired for scoring (obviously), or even fighting.  He was acquired for his presence and hitting.  And it wasn't even for the regular season, it was for the playoffs.  Playoffs is a different game where whistles get put away, and physical play becomes mandatory.   What Neal does now or didn't do for the Flames is irrelevant, it's what Lucic WILL do in the playoffs that matters.  Treliving was thinking ahead.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, bronco73 said:

Lucic wasn't acquired for scoring (obviously), or even fighting.  He was acquired for his presence and hitting.  And it wasn't even for the regular season, it was for the playoffs.  Playoffs is a different game where whistles get put away, and physical play becomes mandatory.   What Neal does now or didn't do for the Flames is irrelevant, it's what Lucic WILL do in the playoffs that matters.  Treliving was thinking ahead.

Well, i guess no one is literally ever acquired for fighting per se but for a team like the Flames that don't have that physical deterrent, Lucic plays that role. We needed a guy like him.  Generally, ya, he was brought in over Neal because Lucic hits and plays physical which is key because like you said, they put the whistle away in the playoffs.  We just have to carry Lucic into the playoffs and then he will be a key contributor.  Right now, his D-zone coverage is good and doesn't hurt us.   He can hang around the 3rd/4th lines.

All in all, this trade looks good for both teams considering expectations were rock bottom.

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, stubblejumper1 said:

That was a bad hit on Killington and nobody on the Flames did anything about it.  When the refs only call a two minute minor on a play like that the players probably need to take matters into their own hands.  Should Lucic have gone after Lowry in the third period?  

Not in a one goal game. 

If we had been more consistent and had won more games going in then maybe Lucic can go out and send a message, but since the team has been inconsistent so far winning the game was more important than sending a message.

I am sure Lucic took a number and the next time they play if it's the right situation arises I am sure he will be happy to send a message.

45 minutes ago, stubblejumper1 said:

That was a bad hit on Killington and nobody on the Flames did anything about it.  When the refs only call a two minute minor on a play like that the players probably need to take matters into their own hands.  Should Lucic have gone after Lowry in the third period?  

If you watched the replay, Ras xchecked him in the back at least 3 times, then tried to rip his head off.

What else do you do at the moment.

In the 3rd they needed to use the PP to make them pay, and they didn;t.

After that, a good hit should have been placed.

Maybe he could have been enticed to drop the gloves, but doubful against Lucic.

Well done Lucic on the retaliation against Sherwood. You interfere with our goalie that is what you should expect. Rittich went on to a shut out and was left alone the rest of the game. CBJ's are a dirty team and Lucic did his job and took that aspect out of their game. I feel good about Lucic's contribution moving forward. The Flames have a multitude of others that can score goals You keep doing what your paid to do Lucic.

5 hours ago, redfire11 said:

Well done Lucic on the retaliation against Sherwood. You interfere with our goalie that is what you should expect. Rittich went on to a shut out and was left alone the rest of the game. CBJ's are a dirty team and Lucic did his job and took that aspect out of their game. I feel good about Lucic's contribution moving forward. The Flames have a multitude of others that can score goals You keep doing what your paid to do Lucic.

It wasn;t the first questionable thing Sherwood had done this game, but it was the last.

Understand the code and he (Sherwood) will be fine.

You may have to answer like Lowry did last night or face the reaper who just happened to be PO'd.

5 hours ago, redfire11 said:

I call it paid advertisement.  Get fined but it buys a message to the rest of the league.  

1 minute ago, Carty said:

Lucic was given a 2 game suspension...   https://www.nhl.com/news/milan-lucic-suspended-two-games/c-310842732

and Sherwood gets nothing for being a weasel all game and then jabbing Rittich in the nuts...

I would expect Lucic to appeal the suspension. They state Lucic's previous history for giving him 2 games, but under the CBA his last suspension was 2016, which was long enough ago that he can't be considered a repeat offender. 

Either way he misses tonight's game, which kind of sucks because he would be a deterrent against Tom Wilson.

41 minutes ago, Carty said:

Lucic was given a 2 game suspension...   https://www.nhl.com/news/milan-lucic-suspended-two-games/c-310842732

and Sherwood gets nothing for being a weasel all game and then jabbing Rittich in the nuts...

d88ba0f32434387a4e13169382df7a8e.png

Everytime I watch the replay, it looks like Sherwood dove.  Snapped his own head back to embellish.

Anyways, how is this comparable to Lowry hitting from behind?  That was much worse.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

I would expect Lucic to appeal the suspension. They state Lucic's previous history for giving him 2 games, but under the CBA his last suspension was 2016, which was long enough ago that he can't be considered a repeat offender. 

Either way he misses tonight's game, which kind of sucks because he would be a deterrent against Tom Wilson.

HIs last infraction was a $10k fine against TBL last year.

Unsuspecting player getting hit with a glove to the face, in this cas he was lying on the ice.

Anyway, Lucic threw a sucker punch because Choir Boy had no idea anyonme would take offense to slashing a goalie in the nads.

Karma I guess.

We shall win with skill and not bother with the likes of Wilson.

lll this and here I was thinking that Sherwood actually had a real good game and should have been one of his teams stars.. Consider..  he had a grand total of 25 minutes playing time in his 2 game nhl career.. and is a rhs 6 '2 230 lb winger .. We could use him on the opposite side of Lucic on our team.. I'd give up a minor leaguer or even jankowski for this guy

Great we have a $5M+ goon now. He’s not even going to get to be a goon for the next 2 games because he’s suspended for being a goon. Taking dumb penalties already and now the overkill on Sherwood. I’m all for protecting your goalie, standing up for teammates, sending a message...but let’s be smart about it. Tom Wilson has no problem contributing an assist against us and he was the posterboy for goon not long ago. 

I get the impact of intimidation Lucics game can bring, but I do think there’s more to his game than that. This whole need for an enforcer can be argued to serve many purposes....I just think in today’s game they’ve been greatly exaggerated. I don’t believe we were dusted by the Avs in the 1st Rd because we were “outgooned” ,  we were outplayed and outgunned. So far I don’t see us winning games because of Lucic, maybe he’s making players feel a little too relaxed out there...might explain the lack of edge in execution, continued turnovers and lack of discipline for 60mins. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Funny that TO guys actually support the player while SN calls it a sucker punch.

What did the Flames ever do to the league to PO them so much?

Lowry doesn't even get a 5 minute penalty, yet Looch gets 4 then 2 games.

Most penalized team, yet not dirty by any stretch.