MILAN LUCIC

rickross

Love it or hate it he’s a Flame! There’s almost no one who’s terribly excited about the trade however let’s welcome Milan with some open arms and minds!...because hating on him isn’t helping anyone!

Consider the potential of having Tkachuk AND Lucic on the ice...a top pest with a top goon could really be a handful for teams to handle. This gives a little more free reign to our smaller skilled players like J. Hockey but it could allow players like Tkachuk to elevate the intangibles they bring....a fearless Tkachuk will only help him live up to the value of his upcoming contract extension. 

Lucic adds another net presence we need, we need someone to clear the crease and he could be useful on the PP, he’s hard to take off the puck and he’s a screen for our shooters to use. 

His physical presence goes without saying. He hits and he fights and talks smack. It’s an element the Flames lacked, he’s not cheap but he’s atleast elite in these categories. 

He’s sure to be motivated. Edmonton is a graveyard for careers, he’s still young enough to be productive and be effective in his own end. He also knows Mcd and Leon’s tendencies....he could be a great for game planning against those Coilers. 

End of of the day Lucic at $5.25M is still better than $6M, cheaper than Neal now and if he’s not scoring he’s atleast bringing a physical skill to the team. 

Maybe yelling out “Loooooch” will be more fun than we think....

• Like 4

I'm choked about the trade, but that's nothing to do with the player.

I can hardly wait for the Smith-Lucic dustup.

Kassian will do nothing in the BoA games.

I don't know what role he will have in CGY, which is part of the reason why the trade is perplexing.

He's not 1st or 2nd line LW.

Bennett is on the 3rd line for now.

Frolik is still here.

Mangiapane proved you don;t have to be big to score.

Gio seems happy.

Tkachuk can draive people nuts and not worry about it.

Iggy advised him that CGY is a good team to play for, the fans are great, it's a Flames city....

This coming from the EDM kid who forced us to trade him to PITTS.

Whatever.

If Lucic gets into 5 fights, it's worth it I guess.

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I'm choked about the trade, but that's nothing to do with the player.

I can hardly wait for the Smith-Lucic dustup.

Kassian will do nothing in the BoA games.

I don't know what role he will have in CGY, which is part of the reason why the trade is perplexing.

Frolik is still here.

Gio seems happy.

Tkachuk can draive people nuts and not worry about it.

Iggy advised him that CGY is a good team to play for, the fans are great, it's a Flames city....

This coming from the EDM kid who forced us to trade him to PITTS.

Whatever.

If Lucic gets into 5 fights, it's worth it I guess.

Hahaha 

A $1 million prize fighter. I guess it’s less than a main event fighter gets but worth it if Johnny and Monny don’t end off the season with something broken. 

Hopefully he can help with a new configuration for the PP and can pop an extra few on top of what Neal scored. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Hahaha 

A $1 million prize fighter. I guess it’s less than a main event fighter gets but worth it if Johnny and Monny don’t end off the season with something broken. 

Hopefully he can help with a new configuration for the PP and can pop an extra few on top of what Neal scored. 

Looch made $1m per goal last year.

Man...the fall from grace is real! He used to be s sought after player, one that any team would’ve welcomed. Now here we are, some ppl expressing near disgust lol. Let’s blame Chia Pet for the economics behind Lucic. He’s coming from one of the worst franchises in history, Lindholm came here and excelled in this environment maybe the same happens in some capacity for Looch. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Frolik is still here.

I suspect he takes over Hathaways spot at worst ...

4 minutes ago, rickross said:

Man...the fall from grace is real! He used to be s sought after player, one that any team would’ve welcomed. Now here we are, some ppl expressing near disgust lol. Let’s blame Chia Pet for the economics behind Lucic. He’s coming from one of the worst franchises in history, Lindholm came here and excelled in this environment maybe the same happens in some capacity for Looch. 

He also also has a very long history with Geoff Ward from Boston 

and Damn Iggy .. no problem talking Lucic into waiving but you couldn't pick up the phone and call Kadri ??  LOL

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/play-my-game-play-hard-be-physical/c-308305740

14 hours ago, rickross said:

Love it or hate it he’s a Flame! There’s almost no one who’s terribly excited about the trade however let’s welcome Milan with some open arms and minds!...because hating on him isn’t helping anyone!

Consider the potential of having Tkachuk AND Lucic on the ice...a top pest with a top goon could really be a handful for teams to handle. This gives a little more free reign to our smaller skilled players like J. Hockey but it could allow players like Tkachuk to elevate the intangibles they bring....a fearless Tkachuk will only help him live up to the value of his upcoming contract extension. 

Lucic adds another net presence we need, we need someone to clear the crease and he could be useful on the PP, he’s hard to take off the puck and he’s a screen for our shooters to use. 

His physical presence goes without saying. He hits and he fights and talks smack. It’s an element the Flames lacked, he’s not cheap but he’s atleast elite in these categories. 

He’s sure to be motivated. Edmonton is a graveyard for careers, he’s still young enough to be productive and be effective in his own end. He also knows Mcd and Leon’s tendencies....he could be a great for game planning against those Coilers. 

End of of the day Lucic at $5.25M is still better than $6M, cheaper than Neal now and if he’s not scoring he’s atleast bringing a physical skill to the team. 

Maybe yelling out “Loooooch” will be more fun than we think....

Lucic will add an element or presence our team needs but to refer to him as a "goon" is actually sad. Let's hope we see some of his offensive talents come back into play because we know what he can bring physically.

3 minutes ago, GM_3300 said:

Lucic will add an element or presence our team needs but to refer to him as a "goon" is actually sad. Let's hope we see some of his offensive talents come back into play because we know what he can bring physically.

So, we are hoping that the Lucic of the Oiler playoff year and the Talbot of the same year and the Davidson of that year all show up to make us a better team.

I hope all are rebound candidates, but I'm more concerned about Talbot.

Lucic just has to play the same style as the line he is on.

Play with Bennett and the other team is spitting chicklettes.

Play with Ryan, and he is creating room for Mangiapane.

Play on the PP, he's PO'ing the goalie.

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

So, we are hoping that the Lucic of the Oiler playoff year and the Talbot of the same year and the Davidson of that year all show up to make us a better team.

I hope all are rebound candidates, but I'm more concerned about Talbot.

Lucic just has to play the same style as the line he is on.

Play with Bennett and the other team is spitting chicklettes.

Play with Ryan, and he is creating room for Mangiapane.

Play on the PP, he's PO'ing the goalie.

Whatever thx for your point of view and more love affair with Mangiapane. I really hope he turns out to be the player you think he will become because he isn't there just yet. Here's hoping he can be a 4th line sensation for us.

6 minutes ago, GM_3300 said:

Whatever thx for your point of view and more love affair with Mangiapane. I really hope he turns out to be the player you think he will become because he isn't there just yet. Here's hoping he can be a 4th line sensation for us.

Good to hear from you MAC

4 hours ago, GM_3300 said:

Goon!..I seriously could not find a better way to describe his expected role. It’s not on the level of the goons of old but he’s not being relied upon for his pretty passes or being quick on his skates. He’s here to intimate and hopefully chip in offensively from time to time. He’s likely more serviceable than just a “goon” but I’m not expecting the 50-60pts Lucic of old. 

18 minutes ago, rickross said:

Goon!..I seriously could not find a better way to describe his expected role. It’s not on the level of the goons of old but he’s not being relied upon for his pretty passes or being quick on his skates. He’s here to intimate and hopefully chip in offensively from time to time. He’s likely more serviceable than just a “goon” but I’m not expecting the 50-60pts Lucic of old. 

I actually don't know what to expect.

19 minutes ago, rickross said:

I am guessing we should expect 35+ points to be a good thing? 

I am just so tired of how much the Flames pay their bottom 6 players, and Lucic’s contract makes that even worse. 

The bottom 6 is ok but not that great to begin with and yet we spend that much on it? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I am guessing we should expect 35+ points to be a good thing? 

I am just so tired of how much the Flames pay their bottom 6 players, and Lucic’s contract makes that even worse. 

The bottom 6 is ok but not that great to begin with and yet we spend that much on it? 

Yeah the contract is unsightly...it’s what makes this trade such an unfavourable one. I guess BT just got tired of looking for toughness and settled for Lucic, Neal obviously needed to go and the Coilers were willing to eat some cap. I agree BT has overpaid for some of the bottom 6-9 players. This ones all on Chiarelli though...maybe they should start drug testing GMs??

17 minutes ago, rickross said:

Yeah the contract is unsightly...it’s what makes this trade such an unfavourable one. I guess BT just got tired of looking for toughness and settled for Lucic, Neal obviously needed to go and the Coilers were willing to eat some cap. I agree BT has overpaid for some of the bottom 6-9 players. This ones all on Chiarelli though...maybe they should start drug testing GMs??

When you think about it....

We signed Neal to be top 6.

He played bottom 6.

We traded for a guy that was barely top 6 in the Oilers.

For this to make any sense, he has to play top 6 here.

In other words, he has to replace Frolik for this to make sense.

He won't.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

When you think about it....

We signed Neal to be top 6.

He played bottom 6.

We traded for a guy that was barely top 6 in the Oilers.

For this to make any sense, he has to play top 6 here.

In other words, he has to replace Frolik for this to make sense.

He won't.

This logic doesn’t make sense. I think we all can agree that Neal wasn’t going to play top 6 this year, in Calgary. He didn’t fit in the bottom 6 with his style, so we had no where to play him. So instead of paying Neal $5.75M to play in a bottom 6 role that he wouldn’t fit in, we pay Lucic $5.25M to play a bottom 6 role that he will fit in to.

I agree it’s too much money to pay a bottom 6 guy, but we were going to be doing it either way. At least we have a better fit this way, and for $500,000 cheaper.

• Like 2

Gonna quote myself from the HF Flames board on this topic:

I definitely went through the stages of grief after hearing about this trade. I did NOT want Lucic here, but, I did not want Neal here either after his efforts. I truly believe Neal will be more likely to bounce back to that 15g+ range though. On the other hand, I do see why we did this. Neal as a third liner vs Lucic as a third liner, who do you think has more success? And in that case, I do feel like Lucic has more overall success in that role. Not happy about this, but Neal wasn't happy here, Lucic WANTS to be here (and has not only talked to Iggy about it, but also Big Ern, Cammi, and a few other former Flames as well). So we got the more effective third liner, and saved some cap space.

Whether or not Neal scores 20+ next season, he'll be getting a lot more time on the 1st PP and top 6 in Edmonton. That was playing time he was NEVER going to get in Calgary. Lucic played some top 6 in Edmonton (which is a scary thought), but like Neal, that is playing time he is NEVER going to see here. Is Neal the better top6 talent? Absolutely. But as a bottom 6 guy, Neal is hot garbage. Lucic on the other hand, is actually a serviceable bottom 6 winger. His advanced (sorry, "fake") stats show that he can drive play. If he plays with Ryan (who can also drive play), it could help create a more effective third line. If Bennett plays there as well, I honestly feel like it could be the best third line (assuming you counted the DAG line last year as the 4th line) we've had in a while, and could actually help Bennett's game (I feel like Ryan can help bring out the best in them, while they can kind of split some faceoffs if needed. Lucic on the line means Bennett can actually focus on playing a bit more rather than being the toughest guy on the team).

At this point, Lucic is a Flame. I hope he does well. A 10g-15a-25p stat line while being on the ice for more goals than he allows, and I'll be happy (because that's the kind of stat line Neal would have gotten in that same role, and he would have been on ice for a lot more goals against than for).

Gonna quote myself on this topic from the HFFlames board:

3 hours ago, redfire11 said:

I could see using Lucic on a PP start. He would be really hard to move from in front of the net. Maybe teach Tkachuk a few things. ( just stretching for positives)

I think the positive could be the 2nd unit pp to be a net front presence. 

I like your try, but Tkachuk definitely is the best at tipping in shots on the team. 

On 7/20/2019 at 3:01 PM, DHT said:

Lucic, Marchant and Thomas were the real reason why I hated Boston so much and still do. I was happy when Lucic went to Oilers. Now he is a Flames. I have to bite my lips from now on. I hope he is worth it.

I guess at least Lucic has Cup winning experience.  Neal is always the bridesmaid and never the bride.