MILAN LUCIC

rickross

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

I'm fine with it. It was a sucker punch. If he jabbed him in the face would prolly be okay. But he brought that punch from way back.

Problem is, like mentioned in the vid, if that was anyone else (except maybe Wilson or Marchand) the whole incident would be a 2 minute roughing non-issue. Plus many will say the Wideman effect is still in play also.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Problem is, like mentioned in the vid, if that was anyone else (except maybe Wilson or Marchand) the whole incident would be a 2 minute roughing non-issue. Plus many will say the Wideman effect is still in play also.

I take virtually zero stock in the 2 talking heads. If everyone says that it's black these to always say it's white. Virtually every respectable talking head agreed with the suspension. You just can't flying punch a guy in the face. Had Lucic grabbed him first, it would be a different story. Don't get me wrong, I'll take that suspension every time. If Josh Anderson did this to Mangiapane, what would everyone be saying? Gotta put it in perspective. You can't just throw a lunging punch to a guys face when his hands are down.

But as I mentioned before, can these kids not recognize who is on the ice when they get all 10' tall and bulletproof?

And that being said, I actually wanted us to take a flier on Sherwood. lol Undrafted. Good size RW with skill that plays an antagonizing game. Of course he was running around hitting everything that moves vs us. It's what he has to do to be successful. Junkowski for Sherwood, lol.

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Funny that TO guys actually support the player while SN calls it a sucker punch.

What did the Flames ever do to the league to PO them so much?

Lowry doesn't even get a 5 minute penalty, yet Looch gets 4 then 2 games.

Most penalized team, yet not dirty by any stretch.

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I'm fine with it. It was a sucker punch. If he jabbed him in the face would prolly be okay. But he brought that punch from way back.

I tend to agree its a sucker punch but like I said before, I think Sherwood embellished.  He knew what he did.  He knew what was coming.  He was trying to draw a penalty.  

And good on him.

Except while he was throwing his own head back, the punch came harder and faster than he was anticipating. He probably got concussed when he hit his head on the ice more than anything.

But we're a league that wants to protect players from getting hit in the head.  I'm okay with the suspension.  Again like I said, I feel this is Lucic doing some advertising and sometimes that costs some money.  Moving forward, let's see who will stab our goalie in the nuts again.

2 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

What I liked best from the vid was Tim saying this is the play where Lucic officially became a Calgary Flames.  I think he's right there.

I take virtually zero stock in the 2 talking heads. If everyone says that it's black these to always say it's white. Virtually every respectable talking head agreed with the suspension. You just can't flying punch a guy in the face. Had Lucic grabbed him first, it would be a different story. Don't get me wrong, I'll take that suspension every time. If Josh Anderson did this to Mangiapane, what would everyone be saying? Gotta put it in perspective. You can't just throw a lunging punch to a guys face when his hands are down.

But as I mentioned before, can these kids not recognize who is on the ice when they get all 10' tall and bulletproof?

And that being said, I actually wanted us to take a flier on Sherwood. lol Undrafted. Good size RW with skill that plays an antagonizing game. Of course he was running around hitting everything that moves vs us. It's what he has to do to be successful. Junkowski for Sherwood, lol.

I think this happens every time the flames are in front of the opposing net. 9/10 there is no call. Albeit if this situation is reversed I bet there is no suspension, but I could see a fine.

i do get what you say about flying at a guy to punch him. It’s almost a charge. But you’re right, he should’ve grabbed him. The TKO look wasn’t very good optics.

i think it should set precedents if they’re going to suspend this act. Our players always get Glove punched in the face after breathing on a goalie.

31 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Our players always get Glove punched in the face after breathing on a goalie.

It's the NHL double standards rule...   and last week a few Flames got a blocker to the face from the goalie without doing anything like what has been happening to Rittich lately...   No surprise that the refs didn't seem to care...

Speaking of Rittich taking abuse, it's been happening more often...   No wonder Lucic snapped...   Not an ideal outcome, but least he will stand up for his teammates...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Carty said:

It's the NHL double standards rule...   and last week a few Flames got a blocker to the face from the goalie without doing anything like what has been happening to Rittich lately...   No surprise that the refs didn't seem to care...

Speaking of Rittich taking abuse, it's been happening more often...   No wonder Lucic snapped...   Not an ideal outcome, but least he will stand up for his teammates...

yup!!! Double standards. I think they need to just start calling it like it is. 

do we get upset when flags are thrown in football? Just call every penalty the exact same and you don’t get fans wondering “WTF!?!”

it is odd because last year was built on guys standing up for each other. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think what the worst part is is the younger players tend to have absolutely no interest in policing themselves. We saw it on the play with Zadorov earlier this season. 

He's literally staring at the ref the whole time with this smug look like "you going to step in and break this up?"

On 11/5/2019 at 5:48 PM, Carty said:

Now that teams are seeing how solid Rittich, is they try harder to throw him off. It's up to the dmen to cut that crap out. I remember Kipper getting cannon-balled constantly until we got JBo to show everyone how to protect your goalie. Fans say what they will of JBo's time here. The thing that stood out for me the most was finally having a dman that knew how to protect his goalie. Get in lanes, read what opponent's are doing, get in the way. I thought JBo was great at that. Kipper got run way less once JBo could teach our D how to do it, because it was getting ugly prior to him.

Now that teams are seeing how solid Rittich, is they try harder to throw him off. It's up to the dmen to cut that crap out. I remember Kipper getting cannon-balled constantly until we got JBo to show everyone how to protect your goalie. Fans say what they will of JBo's time here. The thing that stood out for me the most was finally having a dman that knew how to protect his goalie. Get in lanes, read what opponent's are doing, get in the way. I thought JBo was great at that. Kipper got run way less once JBo could teach our D how to do it, because it was getting ugly prior to him.

Hamonic and Ras are the only guys that step up for a player.

Only D that is.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok I have been patient and a lot of benefit of doubt about Lucic, was ok with his lack of scoring on the premise he would be kinda an enforcer and agitator...all be it an expensive one...however, if he won’t fight and get into it when needed then what the  **** is the point of him...I’m at a point I can confident in saying he’s a complete waist of both cap and roster space...hopefully we can burry him in the A or trade him for a bag of pucks or something??? 

• Like 1

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/flames-lucic-fails-answer-call-latest-battle-alberta/sn-amp/

He needs to get involved in a rivalry like the Flames vs Oilers.  We can't have Tkachuk fighting Kassian and Baer while Lucic doesn't go after Draisaitl and Nurse.  

I get what he's trying to say.  When he's on the ice, the Oilers respect him and don't do anything out of bounds.  For example, no Oiler was chopping Gaudreau or running our goalies.  

Still, I feel the expectation on Lucic is that he become an aggressor rather than a passive police man on the ice.  

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/flames-lucic-fails-answer-call-latest-battle-alberta/sn-amp/

He needs to get involved in a rivalry like the Flames vs Oilers.  We can't have Tkachuk fighting Kassian and Baer while Lucic doesn't go after Draisaitl and Nurse.  

I get what he's trying to say.  When he's on the ice, the Oilers respect him and don't do anything out of bounds.  For example, no Oiler was chopping Gaudreau or running our goalies.  

Still, I feel the expectation on Lucic is that he become an aggressor rather than a passive police man on the ice.  

I agree. Not that he has to rough guys up in the tussle it up kinda sense. He needs to make guys aware he is there. In the game Tkachuk got into Kassian’s grill, Lucic seemed somewhat enhanced then. since that game he’s been a passenger. 

he basically needs to be the guy he’s been most of the year. Skate hard, hit a bunch of guys. If a guy gives an extra couple of whacks, rough him up. Maybe not as hard as his suspension but like that in a way. Guys get rough after extra shots on goalies all the time and don’t get suspended.

lucic needs to play engaged at all times or he’s basically Brouwer or Neal. 

22 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I agree. Not that he has to rough guys up in the tussle it up kinda sense. He needs to make guys aware he is there. In the game Tkachuk got into Kassian’s grill, Lucic seemed somewhat enhanced then. since that game he’s been a passenger. 

he basically needs to be the guy he’s been most of the year. Skate hard, hit a bunch of guys. If a guy gives an extra couple of whacks, rough him up. Maybe not as hard as his suspension but like that in a way. Guys get rough after extra shots on goalies all the time and don’t get suspended.

lucic needs to play engaged at all times or he’s basically Brouwer or Neal. 

Ya man.  Basically, we want to see Lucic play after the whistle a bit more.  Instead of "they behave when I'm on the ice" we need him to tell the other team, "I want the next fight".

22 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya man.  Basically, we want to see Lucic play after the whistle a bit more.  Instead of "they behave when I'm on the ice" we need him to tell the other team, "I want the next fight".

Which he won't do against the Coilers... our most hated rival. So, if he won't do that in important divisional games, games that any player should get "riled up" for, what good is he? Just an fyi, i remember him running over our guys when he played for the crap stains up north.  Send that piece of Satoshi Nakamoto to the east or bury him in the minors... i don't care which, i'd rather have Rinaldo in the lineup.

Yeah in theory, the addition of Lucic made sense. Flames have typically been soft over the last 5 years and were in need of a policeman, who can still play at a reasonable level.

Enter Lucic. 

The thing is when he comes from from your biggest rival it’s a bit of a head scratcher. It’s no surprise he won’t get physically involved with his former buddies 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CalgarySTL said:

Which he won't do against the Coilers... our most hated rival. So, if he won't do that in important divisional games, games that any player should get "riled up" for, what good is he? Just an fyi, i remember him running over our guys when he played for the crap stains up north.  Send that piece of Satoshi Nakamoto to the east or bury him in the minors... i don't care which, i'd rather have Rinaldo in the lineup.

First..not giving him a full pass, he absolutely could have been laying out bigger hits..a face wash here and there .

But a couple things I was already thinking even before he spoke.

But he summed it up best himself saying "what was he supposed to do" 

He was talking after the whistles, we don't know what he was saying, but a fight takes a partner

He already got 2 games for a simple face jab, 

Could he have rag dolled Chiasson or Gagner ?

Could he have pulled a Bertuzzi and chased somebody down?

He was on the bench when all the mayhem broke out ..couldn't jump on the ice 

When he was on the ice , things were quiet..granted part of that was him not instigating much, but I agree it's also the other players not poking him 

Bottom line , he needs to get himself going..he could have absolutely stepped up his physical play.. but if the anger is towards him not having a dance partner or more involved in the extracurricular activity, I'll agree that was a tough spot for him 

Also have to look at the coaches , on both sides , were probabaly line matching to keep him away from usual suspects..

Lucic has been a wasted use of $5M. Buddy Robinson has already had a bigger impact and presence than Looch. I was hoping he’d bring more of an edge to this team. Turns out he’s the Flames’ pacifist. He doesn’t produce points, he doesn’t fight and he’s not laying the body. He’s just out here...dying his hair blond lol. I agree with many, I’d prefer Rinaldo and atleast Robinson was getting involved offensively. Perhaps we ship Looch, keep Robinson up? That gives us $9M in cap, wonder if we still get the Coilers turd rounder still for Neal scoring more goals?

4 minutes ago, rickross said:

Lucic has been a wasted use of $5M. Buddy Robinson has already had a bigger impact and presence than Looch. I was hoping he’d bring more of an edge to this team. Turns out he’s the Flames’ pacifist. He doesn’t produce points, he doesn’t fight and he’s not laying the body. He’s just out here...dying his hair blond lol. I agree with many, I’d prefer Rinaldo and atleast Robinson was getting involved offensively. Perhaps we ship Looch, keep Robinson up? That gives us $9M in cap, wonder if we still get the Coilers turd rounder still for Neal scoring more goals?

The be honest, in giving Lucic the Neal treatment .. meaning I'll reserve full judgement til after i see him in a playoff series .

To be fair , Neal didn't take advantage of the pass last year lol..  but I do see him as a guy who will be more playoff valuable than regular season 

I mean if you buy into the policeman mentality (i don't but many seem to) I think you have to point out that you see far less slashing and wacking of the Flames better players this year. 

Not really to defend Lucic, to me he's exactly what I thought he would be. Oiler fans warned us that he was not this aggressor/physical presence he was in his prime. Perhaps some injuries have flared up because I felt he was finding his groove towards the holidays and every since his game has tailed off.

My biggest issue with Lucic and everything after Saturday was when he said that the scouting report on him is not poke the bear so teams leave him alone.

He needs to find away to get to that level without being poked. We need him engaged every night. We don't need offense from him, just physical play and to be good defensively.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

My biggest issue with Lucic and everything after Saturday was when he said that the scouting report on him is not poke the bear so teams leave him alone.

He needs to find away to get to that level without being poked. We need him engaged every night. We don't need offense from him, just physical play and to be good defensively.

I agree!

I get that every guy needs to be engaged every night, but when you’re getting paid the money you are getting then you really need to be even more engaged. So yes, a guy like him definitely needs to be engaged and find ways to be so if no one else is poking the bear. 

get on it! Our 5m plus guys have all been way too quiet all year.

i just think we need him to create a spark. I don’t expect him to give guys simple face jabs and full on rag doll someone , but at least rough it up a bit. Even if Draisaitl is your buddy, get in his grill! I hate losing to my buds and wanna rub it in.