Oilers

FIrst Off welcome to the Oilers fans... To badabout there board. The Oilers are my least favorite team in the league, I always enjoyed watching them suffer, lol, but there board was always entertaining. As with the Coilers this year, hey they are having some early success. However, if your comparing them to there competition they are doing well, although I believe it will come to a halt here shortly.  They have some chemistry going, which is more than we can say about our club right now. IMHO the biggest difference is they have some players that are sick and tired of losing, we have some a roster that is still stuck in the clouds about what they did last year in that hey 20 minutes a night we can win the division is not going to work.  On paper we have a very good club, in terms of heart, passion and drive right now a 6 year old soccer team looks more organized and passionate about winning than us. The Oilers fans, as of now can enjoy, winning is fun, reality will set in here shortly, enjoy while it lasts, it always does

And Neal scores again......still leading the NHL in goals with 8 on the year.  I know he never would have repeated that performnce on the Flames team, but I still don't like the trade one bit.  Neal at least had some upside, Lucic is a complete boat anchor as far as I'm concerned....both in play and contract.

19 minutes ago, Addicted said:

And Neal scores again......still leading the NHL in goals with 8 on the year.  I know he never would have repeated that performnce on the Flames team, but I still don't like the trade one bit.  Neal at least had some upside, Lucic is a complete boat anchor as far as I'm concerned....both in play and contract.

If the OIlers can play McDavid and Draisaitl 26 minutes per night, they stand a chance at winning games.

The downside for them, even with playing non-playoff teams, is they have been trailing in every game so far.

Not a recipe for success.

In fact, a lot of those comebacks have been on the back of PP's.

So, Neal is scoring on the PP.  Good for him.  He's just scoring the goals that Draisaitl or McDavid or Chaisson or Kassian would have on the PP.  Doesn't mean I like the trade, just that it's too early to call it a steal. 

7 hours ago, Addicted said:

Neal is well on pace to 23-goals for the year.

8 hours ago, travel_dude said:

So, Neal is scoring on the PP.  Good for him.  He's just scoring the goals that Draisaitl or McDavid or Chaisson or Kassian would have on the PP

Whoever thought we would see Neal leading the league for goals...       Just can't see it lasting...   :lol:

McDavid and Draisaitl each have 4 and Neal has 8...

18fb54232655fd3a8a71b97f57c712f3.png

3 hours ago, sak22 said:

150 minutes in 6 games for a forward.  Wow.

What could go wrong.

Tippie actually said they wanted to reel in the minutes of the top 2 players.

That was before the season started.

I guess you have to shorten the bench when trailing, and they have trailed every game.

The bench must be really short.

As in bucket seats.

6 hours ago, cross16 said:

Neal has 8 goals and i'm still not convinced he'll end the season with 20.

Neal is going to get 21 goals this season no problem, hopefully no more than 23.  

I'd be tickled pink if Lucic got just 10-13.

That 3rd rounder we get from EDM is going to make the Oilers remember that trade in a bad way for the next decade plus.

1 minute ago, CheersMan said:

Neal is going to get 21 goals this season no problem, hopefully no more than 23.  

I'd be tickled pink if Lucic got just 10-13.

That 3rd rounder we get from EDM is going to make the Oilers remember that trade in a bad way for the next decade plus.

Kassian and Chaisson are probably similar in results to Neal, when Neal is playing well.

The goals they scored on the PP account for their (elevated) scoring for the season.

Neither of them is a 20 goal guy really.

Chaisson managed to get enough during his heater to finish over 20.

But he is more usefull off the PP than Neal is.

Don;t expect much from Neal at 5v5.

Once his SH% cools down he won;t be contributing to the PP either.

You are not going to get that many goalies playing like garbage in a season.

They have faced 5 like that so far, which is pretty remarkable.

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

So, are the Oilers going to win the Cup this season or what?

Early returns suggest a bunch of BF's (bottom feeders) will ne in the playoffs.

EDM is getting a lot of teams on B2B's,

A lot of goalies that are looking like crap.

They are winning the games they should win.

6 hours ago, cross16 said:

At 5 on 5 the Oilers are a below avg team. They've had the 2nd or 3rd easiest schedule to start the year and currently have a PP running at 45% and a PK that is running at 88%.

Lots there that screams mean regression. 

currently they are tied for 8'th overall in 5 on 5 goals for at 16, and 14'th overall in 5 on 5 goals against at 14, which puts them in the top half of the league for 5 on 5 play.  I agree they are going to come back down to Earth, especially on special teams, but currently they are not below average in 5 on 5 play.

2 hours ago, bronco73 said:

currently they are tied for 8'th overall in 5 on 5 goals for at 16, and 14'th overall in 5 on 5 goals against at 14, which puts them in the top 3d of the league for 5 on 5 play.  I agree they are going to come back down to Earth, especially on special teams, but currently they are not below average in 5 on 5 play.

oilers are a bottom 5 team in:

Corsi %
Fenwick%
shots for%
XGF%
scoring chance for %
bottom 10 in high danger chance for %

that’s a below avg team at 5 on 5, especially when you factor in opposition. 

45 minutes ago, cross16 said:

oilers are a bottom 5 team in:

Corsi %
Fenwick%
shots for%
XGF%
scoring chance for %
bottom 10 in high danger chance for %

that’s a below avg team at 5 on 5, especially when you factor in opposition. 

yup... if those stats won games they sure would ;)  That being said, I did agree that they are going to come back down to Earth.  But for right now as far as standings and results go they are at 5 on 5 in the leagues top half, not bottom.

Ya results in such a small sample size don’t really mean much to me. Ignores things like luck for example so I stand by the statement. I’m more about process then results. 

if the Oilers can get avg it better goaltending it is possible they can look better than stats suggest because McDavid and Draisaitl are that good and raise others around him so we’ll see if they can buck the trend. 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

Ya results in such a small sample size don’t really mean much to me. Ignores things like luck for example so I stand by the statement. I’m more about process then results. 

if the Oilers can get avg it better goaltending it is possible they can look better than stats suggest because McDavid and Draisaitl are that good and raise others around him so we’ll see if they can buck the trend. 

I completely agree.  They mean nothing.  That being said, you brought it up after 7 games in, not me.   I just refuted one of the arguments.  On the Oilers, our goaltending HAS to stay on par with right now or even better.  Our D has to stop giving up more shots than a gatling gun, and we really have to improve our bottom two lines in terms of both O and D play and stupid penalties.  If they don't, when the PK and PP start receding back to normal levels we could be in a heap of trouble.

4 hours ago, bronco73 said:

yup... if those stats won games they sure would ;)  That being said, I did agree that they are going to come back down to Earth.  But for right now as far as standings and results go they are at 5 on 5 in the leagues top half, not bottom.

Yeah, some guys here are very stats oriented. Typically it will tell the tale? I dunno. They don’t let the actual stat that matters the most to be the real story. 

It takes one chance for McD. We had some of the best Corus but couldn’t stop McK on the Avs. We couldn’t even have winning record against the Canucks. It’s all roses over here! Hahaha!

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Yeah, some guys here are very stats oriented. Typically it will tell the tale? I dunno. They don’t let the actual stat that matters the most to be the real story. 

It takes one chance for McD. We had some of the best Corus but couldn’t stop McK on the Avs. We couldn’t even have winning record against the Canucks. It’s all roses over here! Hahaha!

Have you watched any of their games?

I have.

Dominating on the scoreboard but nowhere else is regression in the making.

Playing the weakest teams in the league (at this point) and really bad goaltending doesn;t really mean anything.