Oilers

1 hour ago, displaced oil fan said:

It's official. Oilers message board totally gone. Was a member there about 11-12 years... 

795944faf8882a71ac2a29d5863237a7.png

Well, I don;t want to say you are welcome to post here :) 

But, it's a (relatively) free world.

We'll give you a hard time if you choose to come on to trash the Flames, but if you enjoy healthy debate on hockey perspective, there are some knowledgable fans on here.

Some are fans of two teams, and we get to hear insight into their other teams.

Unlike some blog sites, we are respectfull here.

It's official. Oilers message board totally gone. Was a member there about 11-12 years... 

What was your name on the Oils forums?...

Also, we tend to be respectful to other teams fans, as long as they do the same towards our team, and the members here...   So in the spirit of keeping the peace and that fact that I feel bad that your organization cheaped out and snuffed your boards...   I'm not sure if you had a chance to notice before your forums lights went out, but they started a new Oilers Message Board that already has a bunch of your regular posters active...   http://the-omb.proboards.com

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Well, I don;t want to say you are welcome to post here :) 

But, it's a (relatively) free world.

We'll give you a hard time if you choose to come on to trash the Flames, but if you enjoy healthy debate on hockey perspective, there are some knowledgable fans on here.

Some are fans of two teams, and we get to hear insight into their other teams.

Unlike some blog sites, we are respectfull here.

He won't, he's a respectful poster.  Without telling you exactly who he was on the OMB (I'll let him do that if he choses), I can tell you he was very highly regarded there.  In short, he was kind of a big deal LOL!

10 hours ago, bronco73 said:

He won't, he's a respectful poster.  Without telling you exactly who he was on the OMB (I'll let him do that if he choses), I can tell you he was very highly regarded there.  In short, he was kind of a big deal LOL!

Yup, I used the screen name Hillcat on the OMB and was one of the mods. Not coming to troll, just have some good hockey conversation. The Oil kind of disappointed a lot of us by shutting down the board. 

13 hours ago, Carty said:

What was your name on the Oils forums?...

Also, we tend to be respectful to other teams fans, as long as they do the same towards our team, and the members here...   So in the spirit of keeping the peace and that fact that I feel bad that your organization cheaped out and snuffed your boards...   I'm not sure if you had a chance to notice before your forums lights went out, but they started a new Oilers Message Board that already has a bunch of your regular posters active...   http://the-omb.proboards.com

Yup, Bronco got it going and asked me to continue as a Mod there too.. And no worries, not going to troll..  I

Yup, Bronco got it going and asked me to continue as a Mod there too.. And no worries, not going to troll..  I

Hey there Hillcat...   I think that any of us that has ever popped in for a look or posted in the OMB probably knows who you are...   For those that don't, Hillcat was top cat for the OMB, is not a troll, and he knows his hockey...

It will be interesting to see what you think of the Oils acquisitions of Smith and Neal as the season unfolds...

2 hours ago, displaced oil fan said:

Yup, I used the screen name Hillcat on the OMB and was one of the mods. Not coming to troll, just have some good hockey conversation. The Oil kind of disappoint a lot of us regularly. 

Fixed for accuracy 😜

Anyways welcome aboard.

6 hours ago, Carty said:

Hey there Hillcat...   I think that any of us that has ever popped in for a look or posted in the OMB probably knows who you are...   For those that don't, Hillcat was top cat for the OMB, is not a troll, and he knows his hockey...

It will be interesting to see what you think of the Oils acquisitions of Smith and Neal as the season unfolds...

THanks man! Looking forward to this season. 

2 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

Why would they shut their fans forum down?  

Not very fan friendly!!  

Glad to see you guys got another forum going.

Frankly it's ridiculous.  They call it a business decision.  About a year ago the NHL decided to stop funding the individual team forums, and as such the teams had to take on the cost of maintaining their forums.  The Oilers decided that web forums are a "dying breed" and people are more apt to use social media for their discussions.  As such, they decided to just shut it down rather than continue with it.  The Flames were in the same situation, and as we can all plainly see, they decided to continue funding their board. 

Really you can see the Oilers POV here.  They are only one of the top 10 money earners in the league, and have one of the top 1o wealthiest people in Canada owning them.  how were they supposed to come up with that whopping 1500 dollars a year (or whatever is cost) to keep the forum of over 200,000 members alive?  Of note, I was able to sign up and set up a proboards forum free of charge, that runs every bit as smoothly as the Invision one did.... for free with zero monthly cost.  And we mods who have been there for quite a few years didn't even get a thank you from the PTB other than the web forum admin.   

(shameless plug here:  the-omb.proboards.com)

11 minutes ago, bronco73 said:

Frankly it's ridiculous.  They call it a business decision.  About a year ago the NHL decided to stop funding the individual team forums, and as such the teams had to take on the cost of maintaining their forums.  The Oilers decided that web forums are a "dying breed" and people are more apt to use social media for their discussions.  As such, they decided to just shut it down rather than continue with it.  The Flames were in the same situation, and as we can all plainly see, they decided to continue funding their board. 

Really you can see the Oilers POV here.  They are only one of the top 10 money earners in the league, and have one of the top 1o wealthiest people in Canada owning them.  how were they supposed to come up with that whopping 1500 dollars a year (or whatever is cost) to keep the forum of over 200,000 members alive?  Of note, I was able to sign up and set up a proboards forum free of charge, that runs every bit as smoothly as the Invision one did.... for free with zero monthly cost.  And we mods who have been there for quite a few years didn't even get a thank you from the PTB other than the web forum admin.   

Just my 2 cents worth. Had nothing to do with the $1500, and more to do about censorship. Oiler brass were likely tired of reading the (justified) criticism that passionate fans were expressing and were opportunistic in just letting it die. Good to see you never let it die because there is a huge fan base up there as can be seen on your message boards (past and present). I'd be very unhappy to see ours die but yours is proof in the pudding that it would just resurface elsewhere. I'm very happy with how our management group respects the fan here, the first thing that comes out or there mouth when they meet us is "thank you for supporting us" , they say it often and they're genuine. Your new site looks great, nice work! Maybe time for another DT bill board? One that says "Oilers Ownership group lets message board die where 1000's of fans gathered due to an equivalent cost of 100 draft beer".

11 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

Just my 2 cents worth. Had nothing to do with the $1500, and more to do about censorship. Oiler brass were likely tired of reading the (justified) criticism that passionate fans were expressing and were opportunistic in just letting it die. Good to see you never let it die because there is a huge fan base up there as can be seen on your message boards (past and present). I'd be very unhappy to see ours die but yours is proof in the pudding that it would just resurface elsewhere. I'm very happy with how our management group respects the fan here, the first thing that comes out or there mouth when they meet us is "thank you for supporting us" , they say it often and they're genuine. Your new site looks great, nice work! Maybe time for another DT bill board? One that says "Oilers Ownership group lets message board die where 1000's of fans gathered due to an equivalent cost of 100 draft beer".

Bronc and I discussed this very point. There's been no shortage of well deserved criticism over the past few years aimed at management. My personal opinion, for whatever its worth, is they got fed up with us using the forum to call them out for their errors so they pulled the plug when the opportunity arose. 

I have it from what I consider a very reliable source (that I won't name) that the cost was $200 a month. NOt sure if thats USD or CAD but about the price of 4 beers and 2 hotdogs at a game... 

Still staying true to my team though, not going to be a bandwagon rider. I appreciate the Flames organization for keeping their board alive and appreciate you Flames fans for letting us come in here and talk some hockey. 

2 minutes ago, displaced oil fan said:

Bronc and I discussed this very point. There's been no shortage of well deserved criticism over the past few years aimed at management. My personal opinion, for whatever its worth, is they got fed up with us using the forum to call them out for their errors so they pulled the plug when the opportunity arose. 

I have it from what I consider a very reliable source (that I won't name) that the cost was $200 a month. NOt sure if thats USD or CAD but about the price of 4 beers and 2 hotdogs at a game... 

Still staying true to my team though, not going to be a bandwagon rider. I appreciate the Flames organization for keeping their board alive and appreciate you Flames fans for letting us come in here and talk some hockey. 

Bingo! and Cheers man!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

This could very well be true... however this would also be true for any organization in the league.  Fans criticize their teams, it's human nature.  Maybe the Oilers brass got criticized more but let's be frank, it was well deserved.  Anyways IF that is why it was closed, then it shows incredibly thin skin from the PTB (and I don't believe it to be true, the word and reasoning for closing that I got from above was what I explained in an earlier post)

4 minutes ago, bronco73 said:

This could very well be true... however this would also be true for any organization in the league.  Fans criticize their teams, it's human nature.  Maybe the Oilers brass got criticized more but let's be frank, it was well deserved.  Anyways IF that is why it was closed, then it shows incredibly thin skin from the PTB (and I don't believe it to be true, the word and reasoning for closing that I got from above was what I explained in an earlier post)

True Bronc, it was definitely deserved. From the word I got, there were budget cuts. Just curious if that was maybe a deciding factor, something that tipped the scales. Who knows. At this point, it doesn't matter. Time to move forward. 

10 minutes ago, bronco73 said:

2 minutes ago, displaced oil fan said:

True Bronc, it was definitely deserved. From the word I got, there were budget cuts. Just curious if that was maybe a deciding factor, something that tipped the scales. Who knows. At this point, it doesn't matter. Time to move forward. 

I see you have 60 new members this week, if web forums are a dying breed then yours is alive and well. Again, nice work on giving your fan base an avenue to express them selves after the organization let it die.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CheersMan said:

I see you have 60 new members this week, if web forums are a dying breed then yours is alive and well. Again, nice work on giving your fan base an avenue to express them selves after the organization let it die.  

Thanks... and of course all you awesome Flames fans are always welcome in our enemy territory lol!   There are a couple members from here that post there as well, great guys!

2 hours ago, bronco73 said:

Unless prices have shot up, I believe that the cost is far, far less than that. Given public dollars were used to fund the new arenas for both teams, you would think that coughing up a few bucks for a discussion forum would be a no-brainer. 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2019 at 3:43 PM, rocketdoctor said:

Why would they shut their fans forum down?  

Not very fan friendly!!  

Glad to see you guys got another forum going.

Cause they know a thing or two about winning :P Who needs fans anyways?

I honestly think it was because the organization did not want to be running a fan board that, rightfully so, is going to be very critical of the team right now. I wouldnt be shocked if it magically comes back when the team is good again. 

On 9/27/2019 at 5:59 PM, bronco73 said:

Congrats on the new forums.  I hope it goes well.

Were you guys presented with any options to fund the message board like, plaster the boards with ads and banners to help pay for itself?  Ask members for donations?  etc?  I know here, it's always a challenge asking for upgrades and add-ons for what really amounts to what displaced oil fan said, a couple beers and hot dogs.  We're pretty lucky to still be up and running.

32 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Congrats on the new forums.  I hope it goes well.

Were you guys presented with any options to fund the message board like, plaster the boards with ads and banners to help pay for itself?  Ask members for donations?  etc?  I know here, it's always a challenge asking for upgrades and add-ons for what really amounts to what displaced oil fan said, a couple beers and hot dogs.  We're pretty lucky to still be up and running.

Thanks peeps, much appreciated :).  AFAIK the individual teams were all given the choice to seek money elsewhere, and that option had been looked at.  Remember this is only information I got from one person above me and MAY not be the actual truth.   Eventually they made the decision that social media like twitter, facebook etc were the way people are tending to move towards and that forums were essentially a thing of the past.  There were even some suggestions made by a former webmaster of the site, which also fell upon deaf ears.  Yup you definitely are, or fortunate enough to have a team that values all forms of drawing fans in.  The Oilers site, like most NHL sites that do not maintain social options for its' fans, will become little more than a wasteland now with very few visits (my opinion only of course)

Welcome here all Oiler forums posters. 

I know most of you to see your handle even though I didn't post there much anymore.

Forums are an outlet for voicing your opinion. Much better than tweets or instagrams because there is little restrictions to hold back the discussion and it is multi directional not just one way.

It is not an issue to disagree but rather more important that you have an outlet for your opinion even if you are wrong..

I was somewhat disappointed in OMB when they removed criticism of Oiler management back when everyone was calling for KL's head. I understand why, just it showed no backbone. It was not the only manipulation of speech and media.

You will find that here the rules are relaxed with the exception you can't get personal. 

Welcome those who move in here.. make yourself at home.

DD