Oilers

On 11/13/2019 at 2:54 PM, original hockeypriest said:

20 games in it is apparent that the Oilers were able to ride a hot start and a friendly schedule to mid November and still playing meaningful hockey...However, as the season progresses and teams concentrate harder on shutting down the 2 high end players and forcing the Oilers to make hay on the pp the wins are going to be harder to come by...I predict they will be outside of a playoff spot by Christmas and won't have a meaningful game after January.

The Pacific Division is so weak, it's hard to see the Oilers not make the playoffs after this start.  

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

The Pacific Division is so weak, it's hard to see the Oilers not make the playoffs after this start.  

It's amazing the goalies the Oilers have faced over the start of the season.

They get a weakened AVS team, with a goalie who is a backup to a backup.

Schneider for NJ.

Varly for NYI.

Hart at his worst.

5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

No reason why this won't continue.

The funny thing is that the Oilers have seen the best of Smith and Koskinen, while facing teams struggling or playing a crap goalie.

When they play a competitive team or a decent goalie, they fold like a cheap suit.

What I find really amazing is that McDavid and Draisaitl are scoring like it's going out of style, and they are still below 2 p/gp.

Most games they seem to be scoring in droves.

Nothing there to suggest they will slow down, but there has not been anyone scoring 160 points in.....forever.

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, jjgallow said:

McDavid starting to look decent.

When are they trading him to Las Angeles?

They have 2 good players.

They can't even separate them for a game.

The onlty B2B games they get seem to be against a team that also played the night before.

As long as Smith is on old man's reserve, they have a chance to keep winning at 50% or better.

If you get a chance, watch the two penalties that Nurse drew last night against Eriksonm

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

They have 2 good players.

They can't even separate them for a game.

The onlty B2B games they get seem to be against a team that also played the night before.

As long as Smith is on old man's reserve, they have a chance to keep winning at 50% or better.

If you get a chance, watch the two penalties that Nurse drew last night against Eriksonm

I was once kicked by Dave Tippett.   Ever since then the emotional trauma has caused me to be difficult on internet forums.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I was once kicked by Dave Tippett.   Ever since then the emotional trauma has caused me to be difficult on internet forums.

Nah, you're a teddy bear. lol

Disagreeable isn't difficult, just requires a few more grains of salt. Especially talking about goaltending. 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

5-2 loss to the Sens. I think you have to give the Sens credit. Considering their roster, their record is pretty good. They certainly don't just rollover to anyone and they rarely get spanked.

Instead of playing hard, they seemed like they felt this was a scheduled win.  Some lazy play.

I feel like the only thing keeping them afloat is PP goals.

Goaltending is returning to the norm.

Smith and Costco both starting to play like they did last year.

23 hours ago, conundrumed said:

5-2 loss to the Sens. I think you have to give the Sens credit. Considering their roster, their record is pretty good. They certainly don't just rollover to anyone and they rarely get spanked.

DJ Smith was a great hire for them I thought. I don't think he'd ever let a team get blown out haha.

Leafs sure miss him too. 

• Like 1

^^^^^^

Gifted with a 5 on 3 PP and then a PS.

And the fans whine about the refs missing calls and only giving them 4 or 5 PP's per game.

The mighty rely on a PP and two players that have played the most minutes in the NHL among forwards.

Neal has 4 even strength goals (well, not PP at least) and 2 even strength assists.

And he's -17.

Here's a nice goal from Dougie last night.

Interesting observarion:

Last season, through the first 34 games of the season, Edmonton had an 18-13-3 record, eerily close to the 18-12-4 record the team currently has. The 2018/2019 Oilers had 39 points compared to the 40 the 2019/2020 Oilers currently have.

The team from last season would go on to gain only another 40 points through the remaining 48 games and finish 25th in the league.

4 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I've heard the Oilers have attributed much of their success this year to cutting edge visualisation techniques.

Before every game, the team meditates on key motivators such as:

"image you are playing for a respectable team"

Image there's no people

Living for today-ay-ay-ay eh?

43 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Looks like Smith has turned into automatic loss. I've never seen an NHL goalie so poor at tracking wrist shots from the point. Like the Pens' first goal last night.

Expected and appreciated.

They haven't changed much from last year and Smith is the new Talbot/Dubie/Insert Ex-Oiler Goalie.

Even with the top two in points, they are still a failing team.

13m spent on about a dizen even strength goals.

6m on a #2 center with 2 even strength goals.

I thought Backlund was killing us, but Nuge is supposed to be their go-to guy to shut down the world.