Bill Peters - 17th Flames Coach

phoenix66

11 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Hockey Canada is where the failed coaches go to coach. 

A long time ago but we had a hockey Canada coach who sucked and didn’t last, but wasn’t it only one season? 

Hockey Canada is where the overlooked coaches go to coach.

I would take a look at the coaches who coach there. Not exactly a group of failures. 

But its also not just world championships. He won a gold at the Under 18s, coached another another junior tournament and was part of the staff at the World Cup. When Canada has the pick of whoever they want, they picked Peters to run the D and PK. Peter said has been a part of the Hockey Canada program for quite a while. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Hockey Canada is where the failed coaches go to coach. 

A long time ago but we had a hockey Canada coach who sucked and didn’t last, but wasn’t it only one season? 

Hockey Canada is where the overlooked coaches go to coach.

just in Very recent History (in no particular order ):

Todd Mclellan

Mike Babcock

Jon Cooper 

Dave Tippett

Ken Hitchcock

Hardly a "washed up " or list of failures 

I think you mean Dave King -  coached 3 years , 2 division titles and 1 2nd in division 

48 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

just in Very recent History (in no particular order ):

Todd Mclellan

Mike Babcock

Jon Cooper 

Dave Tippett

Ken Hitchcock

Hardly a "washed up " or list of failures 

I think you mean Dave King -  coached 3 years , 2 division titles and 1 2nd in division 

So good he coached in the NHL again...

but, I am just saying Hockey Canada isn’t the greatest barometer for coaches.

i guess I am wrong...

maybe Peters will be the next coming of the Christ of all coaches... it just looks much the same to me.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I would take a look at the coaches who coach there. Not exactly a group of failures. 

But its also not just world championships. He won a gold at the Under 18s, coached another another junior tournament and was part of the staff at the World Cup. When Canada has the pick of whoever they want, they picked Peters to run the D and PK. Peter said has been a part of the Hockey Canada program for quite a while. 

Ya, it’s the juniors and under 18s that I don’t see as a good thing only because coaching kids and men are different. A coach can coach kids but when they coach men they can’t transition... in some cases.

4 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Ya, it’s the juniors and under 18s that I don’t see as a good thing only because coaching kids and men are different. A coach can coach kids but when they coach men they can’t transition... in some cases.

Just about every single NHL coach starts by coaching kids in junior and they work their way up. 

Just now, JTech780 said:

Just about every single NHL coach starts by coaching kids in junior and they work their way up. 

Thats fine. 

Bot all coaches make it that do. I get it. But still looking at his resume in the NHL, it isn’t much different than GG. And we are trying to be different and yet, it’s similar.

some have said it’s great that the system is similar. Well, that worked great for us this year. It took a 1/3 of the season to play the system they played the year before.

i guess I am more concerned about the coach and not where he came from.

I am personally more interested in getting a coach that does not have at the end of each and every game very strange and baffling decisions made that come into question.

this past season there may have been a handful of games where i was not going wtf for line use, player use, etc.

There will always be "some" decisions where they are not popular or seem strange or gamble that not work out but was the shear volume of them this past season that showed definitivly that GG cannot handle the Head coach position and needs.

90% of games should not end (win/loss) and still require going ... WTF was the coach thinking doing X or Y.  Or requiring 1/2 season or more to even attempt adjustments

i do not have preferred or front runner out of the names floating around.  Just glad is change and will give whoever gets the spot the position benifit of doubt.

2 minutes ago, JustAFlamer said:

I am personally more interested in getting a coach that does not have at the end of each and every game very strange and baffling decisions made that come into question.

this past season there may have been a handful of games where i was not going wtf for line use, player use, etc.

There will always be "some" decisions where they are not popular or seem strange or gamble that not work out but was the shear volume of them this past season that showed definitivly that GG cannot handle the Head coach position and needs.

90% of games should not end (win/loss) and still require going ... WTF was the coach thinking doing X or Y.  Or requiring 1/2 season or more to even attempt adjustments

i do not have preferred or front runner out of the names floating around.  Just glad is change and will give whoever gets the spot the position benifit of doubt.

That is the most baffling to me. It’s happened with 2 coaches in a row. Hartley had something that worked then went away from it to give preferential treatment to those he trusted opposed to those who earned it. Then the decisions looked suspect in the end. 

GG did the same thing, stubborn to the last game. Not quite, but like you said, went with what he trusted, but didn’t work.

For me, the most frustrating part of this team was the lack of consistency. When they decided to show up, then it was clear that GG's systems were fine. Like when we blew Tampa up. That's the talent level we have, but unfortunately most nights we had too many floaters, and lazy skaters.

While that problem is on GG'S shoulders, it does fall on the individual players as well. We all know the head scratching decisions that he made (no time outs, the love affair of putting Brouwer and/or Stajan out in the last minute of a period when were down by one, ECT ECT), but to me not addressing the lackadaisical effort of our boys was his biggest downfall, and needs to be addressed before we have another group of players with the 'country club' mentality. It seemed like he wanted to be friends instead of a boss.

Everything that I've read about Peters is that he doesn't tolerate lack of effort or laziness. He isn't afraid to call out players. (One article mentioned that he might have to tone it down while in a Canadian market). And he isn't afraid to bench a star. This is something that our young guys (and vets) need right now, to nip it in the butt before it gets too out of hand. (Country club)

His coaching style is vastly different than GG's, but they have similar systems. I think the way they play is great, I think it'll be an easy transition in that regard. So if we can get everything good that GG brought to the table, and replace his errors with what Peters brings, then I think we're going to see a much different team next season.

It's all about accountably, and this team needs some.

14 hours ago, robrob74 said:

The olympics is one thing. The best coaches go to the olympics, but the worlds are another thing, when the failed coaches go every year. 

Sure you can point to those coaches who coach the best every 4 years. Is Peters one of those coaches that coaches in the olympics, when the best coaches are chosen to coach the best players in the world? 

Go ahead, pick and choose stats to help your arguments. The fact is Peters isn’t anymore successful than GG.

By that reasoning the players from teams that missed the playoffs & fill out non-Olympics TC rosters for things like MacDavid, O'Reilly, etc are this year aren't worth having either.

If Monahan was healthy he'd be there too.

13 minutes ago, The_Snowbear said:

Personally Coach is Only Part of The problem cause if the players arnt playing the System then it doesnt matter what Coach you use

That or the guys on the ice are not the right players.

Did Brouwer ever look like a guy that played well according to the system?

Perhaps a coach has to demand a little more from the guys.

Perhaps the coach needs to work with the guys struggling; sit them for a game and let them see what their game is missing.  Work on the parts that are causing them to struggle.  Should not matter who that player is or what he is paid.  

Does that resemble GG or Peters?  No to the first one, and ?? to the 2nd one.

8 hours ago, cross16 said:

So was Dave King.....

dc4f56b2486f7a8a72237811ba9f8eae.png

Do not know much of Peters. From what I read he is a no BULLSatoshi Nakamoto guy, perfect. There has been to many passengers for to long. Watching Canes play the few times I did, I like the up tempo style, just not sure this club is built to play that way. If BT and Peters are familiar with each other I can see the attraction. Its better to dance with the devil you know the the devil you don't. This will be BT last chance, if it isn't turn around next year, he is next out the door.

30 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

So was Dave King.....

dc4f56b2486f7a8a72237811ba9f8eae.png

And Dave King is also a pretty good coach, certainly was here in Calgary. Columbus was an expansion team. Not suggesting every coach who works with hockey Canada is great, but they seem to get it right more than they get it wrong but there is always good and bad with everything. 

At this point I rather they sign one of these proven NHL veteran coaches. Another "experiment" at the HC position with another unproven NHL coach only gives the players an even longer leash. Take the guess work out and sign a coach who can bring that 'critical' level of experience that this team needs. My concern is the bar for another unproven coach is simply making the playoffs, while a proven NHL coach would command no less than the Cup. If this team is no longer rebuilding this should be the expectation by now. 

8 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Good thing the Flames jumped into action with "Fire the coach and blames the goalies"

Way to save the day, GM.   Nothing a few more first round draft pick giveaways can't solve, I'm sure.

It seems like perhaps BT circled back on his first choice 2 years ago.

Perhaps this was his guy in the first place, as he sure moved fast on it.

Now just find a way to pull Katchouk from Tampa...and maybe a minor deal for Kole Sherwood (undrafted shoot-first RW) outta Columbus.

No more mega-signings or next year’s picks trades please. 

Build it, stop trying to buy it.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

It seems like perhaps BT circled back on his first choice 2 years ago.

Perhaps this was his guy in the first place, as he sure moved fast on it.

Now just find a way to pull Katchouk from Tampa...and maybe a minor deal for Kole Sherwood (undrafted shoot-first RW) outta Columbus.

No more mega-signings or next year’s picks trades please. 

Build it, stop trying to buy it.

I think using picks has burned itself out and hopefully to the benefit of a better team in 2018/19. Any way you slice it this offseason for the Flames on the trade front has few options so if BT is dealing he will need some creativity. Like you I would like to see BT focus on obtaining a few quality RW options for next season.

http://calgarysun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/calgary-flames/former-player-on-expected-flames-hire-bill-peters-hes-intense-all-the-time-hes-intense?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1524457048

Another good article on Peters with some quotes from John-Michael Likes who played for Peters for 2 years in Carolina. 

He mentions that if you play hard and smart then he is a good coach to play for. He also mentions that wants the defense skating and involved in the rush. 

12 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

http://calgarysun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/calgary-flames/former-player-on-expected-flames-hire-bill-peters-hes-intense-all-the-time-hes-intense?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1524457048

Another good article on Peters with some quotes from John-Michael Likes who played for Peters for 2 years in Carolina. 

He mentions that if you play hard and smart then he is a good coach to play for. He also mentions that wants the defense skating and involved in the rush. 

Enjoyed reading this if Peters is actually our new coach. These 4 points about Peters has me thinking positive about next year.

1)“He’s intense. All the time, he’s intense,”

2)“And if you’re playing not only hard but playing smart, he’s really fantastic to play for.

3)I think guys really, really like him as a coach. And he definitely gets a lot out of players.

4)(Peters) wants you skating. He wants defencemen getting involved in the rush. He’s very detail-oriented.

Archived