Bill Peters - 17th Flames Coach

phoenix66

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

I certainly hope this is the case. Of course, one has to wonder if the NHL will want to know what Hannifin, Lindholm, and Ryan knew about the situation. Did any of them bury their heads in the sand? Is that a form of obstruction to keep silent? What if Aliou and others claim that they were party to the behaviour and refused to speak up either way? I hope that the Flames can move on, but it is possible that this is just the beginning. 

Double-entendre noted and well done. Too bad Peters acted like a Richard instead of a Bill. 

I believe that this is just the beginning of a much larger conversation about the relationship between players and teams. How do coaches motivate players in the future? This is the conversation that teams need to have out in the open. 

I wonder what is running through Bobby Clarke's mind right now? If memory serves, he was always thought of as a rather ... direct individual. How many enemies has he made over the years? "If I had never learned to lay a two-hander, I would have never left Flin Flon". 

Well it's out of the Flames hands.

There is no way they will talk to Hanifin, etc.

They are Flames property.

The NHL never said a wotd about CAR.

If they did, they would need to rake that team over the coals.

It's not happening.

2 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

I would like to think so, but I have a bad feeling about this. Aliou was clearly angry and I am pretty sure that he is still angry. That post came out when it did for a reason. Hannifin, Ryan, and Lindholm were on that fricken team when all of this was said to have happened. Peters claimed that he apologized in the dressing room. When queried, did all of the players keep their mouths shut or did someone speak up? Will this turn into #metoo? The NHLPA wanted to keep this under wraps. 

Are you mixing up the events here?

The Aliu thing happened 10 years ago with the Chicago Wolves.  The Carolina thing happened 4 years ago.  Two separate incidents.

Peters Retires On Black Friday!!!     !and to put this episode of.. As The Flames burn.. to rest.. I openly apologize to Mr. treliving and his mom for my somewhat harsh criticism over this issue and what has been a very disappointing start to what I had hoped would be an outstanding season.. There are still make-up issues with this team but .. let's move -on..

What happens next is a league issue and here are a couple of things I'd like to see...

All coaching staff on all teams enrolled and certified in Sensitivity classes as well as anger management classes before they are allowed to sign a contract with an NHL team.. All current staff on all teams will have a three year period to upgrade and receive this training.. All coats will be incurred by the league/

There needs to be a player ombudsman put in place for matters such as these.. The Players agents  should be the person requesting an ombudsman intervention on behalf of the player. The league needs to make a serious commitment to follow through on any recommendations made by the appointee

As an olive branch.. The league shall enlist Akim Alou as it's first ombudsman with paid training shared by the league and players association..all future ombudmen/women shall be chosen by a vote of the players association

1 hour ago, The_Snowbear said:

i doubt it sincerely he Has 2 things Against him 1 Racial Slurs 2 Assaulting other Players both issues are very Serious Cause by right Francis could of Called the Cops and Had Bill peters Charged with Assault

Yeah Peters might be a real headcase. I admit I liked the fact that he was dialled in but I’m not sure he ever fully turns it off. Surprising with the assault and never making the playoffs that he lasted that long in Carolina...the guy was still able to resign from that job, squeaky clean resume 

56 minutes ago, The_Snowbear said:

I think what i Find Extremely Disturbing is the Assault At the Work Place and why Law Enforcement Wasn't Called I dont care if it is Hockey or Any other Job on the planet Assault in the Workplace is Unacceptable

To me what is more disturbing is that management was made aware, swept it under the rug, and continued as nothing happened. Can you imagine how that reflected back to the players involved?  Mind you nothing was ever said from the players end either so I guess the "shut up and keep your job" mentality may still be there.

I agree with everyone that Peter's should not have used abuse as part of his coaching. But then again WHERE ARE THE MENTAL AND PHYSICAL SCARS that Peter's has inflicted. Has the league followed up with counseling and medical staff?.

So you can double hand a hockey stick and hit someone with it and break bones and be playing 3 games later. You can break a guys jaw with a over hand right and be playing in 10 minutes or next game.

In this league kicking someone in the butt to get them motivated is a far greater crime than breaking bones with a double hand slash. Outside of the NHL the first MIGHT get you a fine and the second JAIL TIME.

Now as far as racial abuse in and out of the NHL??? I'm not even going to go there.

Archived