Bill Peters - 17th Flames Coach

phoenix66

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I may be thoroughly nitpicking .. but Carolina's talent isn't awful.. its hard to gauge whether they overachieved or underachieved. He did have them in the race late this year though with really horrible goaltending 

Vigneault, i respect his experience , but my gut just says we are a bad fit.. maybe just cuz he hasn't much success without a veteran lineup 

Carolina has a really good blue line but their forward crop is pretty bad, especially their centres. 

Personally im impressed with what Peters has done with that lineup and in that division. That's a murderous division and he keeps them in it every year despite some pretty glaring deficits in personnel, especially in comparison to other teams in that division. Most of the time when you get goaltending like he has, your a lottery pick team. 

I think Vigneault will run with vets and we won't see too many young guys come into the lineup and succeed. 

I think Peters makes a lot of sense. I get the hesitation based on the fact that he hasn't done much in Carolina, but that roster isn't great either and they haven't had any goaltending since he was coach there. I also think he has done a great job putting their young skilled players (Aho, Taravainen, Hanifin, Slavin, Pesce). 

I also like D.J. Smith and Sheldon Keefe.

Thanks for changing the title. :)

GG gone is no surprise. He lasted almost a week & 1/2 than I thought.

As to replacements I'd be happy with Peters but hope we hold off about a week because it's looking more like Trotz will be available with every Caps game.

Does not really matter IMHO - Average team with Average top management playing in an Average Building = New coach every 2 or so years. Gives the fans something to talk about and management something to sell to get bums in the seats. Nothing new here - move on!.

17 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

It’s gonna be Peters... hails from Three Hills, so why not come home 

As average as we are we have two things Peters didn’t have in CAR

a #1 C in Monahan

a #1 goalie in Smith

he didn’t have any of that in CAR

recognizing  the personnel.. i hope he hires a proper PP coach (Paul Maclean keeps coming  back to me ) cuz the Carolina PP was barely better than ours :( 

2 hours ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Thanks for changing the title. :)

GG gone is no surprise. He lasted almost a week & 1/2 than I thought.

As to replacements I'd be happy with Peters but hope we hold off about a week because it's looking more like Trotz will be available with every Caps game.

Those are my top 2 as well.

I don;t know that they can wait for Trotz  to be fired if they have to decide on Peters by Friday.

By the looks of it, Trotz will have a job until at least Thursday.  :) 

Has anyone who wants Trotz watched the Caps lately? 

Ive been really unimpressed with his work. 5 on 5 the caps aren't good (shots wise but they are giving up a lot of goals) his utilization is arguably as bad as Gulutzan and starting Grubaeur is a real head scratcher. 

Persoanally I think Trotz is not a good fit for today's game. if the idea is to move the club forward I don't think Trotz is the guy to do that. 

26 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Ive been really unimpressed with his work. 5 on 5 the caps aren't good, his utilization is arguably as bad as Gulutzan and starting Grubaeur is a real head scratcher. 

Persoanally I think Trotz is not a good fit for today's game. if the idea is to move the club forward I don't think Trotz is the guy to do that. 

TBH, I'm really hoping they keep him.. then we can go after Rierden :)  (assuming Peters isnt a done deal )

34 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Ive been really unimpressed with his work. 5 on 5 the caps aren't good, his utilization is arguably as bad as Gulutzan and starting Grubaeur is a real head scratcher. 

Ya, plus Trotz never won the big one.  

Also, I thought NAS success was all Trotz but they went farther without Trotz than with him.

54 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Also, I thought NAS success was all Trotz but they went farther without Trotz than with him.

Prior to Lavi coaching, the big scorers were Weber, Hornqvist, Smith and Fisher.

Lavi takes over and they have Forsberg and Neal to add to the team.

Regardless, Trotz is an experienced coach.  Don't know if he would be a fit here or not.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I know a guy who has won the big one, and he happens to be available.  His qualifications include:

Six SC playoff appearances.

Stanley Cup Winner.

Calder Cup Winner.

North West Division Title 4 times.

South East Division Title.

Swiss Championship Winner.

Jack Adams Winner.

998 NHL games coached.

517 NHL wins.

0.586 playoff win percentage in 95 games.

His teams have an identity of “hard working, hard to play against and never quit”.

He dresses well, handles the media to perfection and has a great sense of humor.

Only kicker is that he dwells solely on the positives, the negatives go in the trash can.  He makes his players accountable by earning their ice time.  He demands 100% from his players at all times, which is sometimes interpreted as being “too hard on the players” by a handful of millionaire ex-players.  If we could overcome these few so called “coaching flaws”, we might have a coach candidate here. 

Alternatively, there is Bill Peters who has never coached an NHL playoff game, let alone win in the big league.

:D

18 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

^^^

Such a good candidate.  You would think he would have been hired by a good NHL team after he was fired.

There's always the Swiss league I guess if you are are too good for the NHL.

You make it sound like Switzerland is a terrible place to be.  Maybe BH is smarter than you think.

https://www.newlyswissed.com/31-reasons-why-switzerland-is-the-happiest-country/

Where is it that you live again?

10 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Such a qualified coach he landed the prestigious position of head coach of the Latvian National Team. 

I'm sure BH was the first guy they called.  He was gracious to accept.

There's rumours of Darryl Sutter as well. I didn't mind him as the coach of the flames, just didn't like him as the GM.

Wouldn't complain about Darryl Sutter or Bill Peters though. AV... I'm not sure if I trust a former Canuck coach. But he has had some success in the NHL.

Archived