Bill Peters - 17th Flames Coach

phoenix66

I'm in the "Please don't Blockchaining hire Darryl Sutter" camp, myself. 

First of all, the Flames were really boring when he was the boss. I realize the cup run was exciting, but watching them try to win every game 2-1 was pretty rough. Do you remember how awful it was to watch them play Minnesota? Six times a year?! Gawd, never again! 

He had a completely different team in LA. 

Also, who likes going backwards? Sometimes I've missed my old job, or my old girlfriend... but when you'd get it/her back, you realize that you ended your tenure for some reason that you'd forgotten about while you romanced the good old days. I like the idea of a new look. I know the players are all different, and that it would be different than it was before, but I hope they steer the ship somewhere we haven't been. 

Love. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

Just a thought will they promote from within and give it to Gelinas?   BT did mention continuity and he has not been fired....

I have a strong feeling you won't see a 1st time this time around, BT has already played that card . He indicated in the presser yesterday he has the money to pay whoever he has to, and that experience is key . He cant get this one wrong .

6 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

I'm in the "Please don't Blockchaining hire Darryl Sutter" camp, myself. 

First of all, the Flames were really boring when he was the boss. I realize the cup run was exciting, but watching them try to win every game 2-1 was pretty rough. Do you remember how awful it was to watch them play Minnesota? Six times a year?! Gawd, never again! 

He had a completely different team in LA. 

Also, who likes going backwards? Sometimes I've missed my old job, or my old girlfriend... but when you'd get it/her back, you realize that you ended your tenure for some reason that you'd forgotten about while you romanced the good old days. I like the idea of a new look. I know the players are all different, and that it would be different than it was before, but I hope they steer the ship somewhere we haven't been. 

Love. 

Ordinarily , I'd be in 100% agreement .. in fact i think I used the same analogy on somebody else,  but admittedly Daryl is different . He has unfinished business for starters, should never have been GM and had he stayed behind the bench here we'd likely have our cups now .

Yes, his games aren't high flying exciting , but if that means playoff runs each year I'll smile and accept it .

You want emotional investment ?  he's a master .. you want an identity ? we'll have one ..  I drool when i think what he can mold Ferland and Tkachuk into ..and he will find a way to get the best from Bennett.. hes raved previously about Monahan 

Behind a bench , all he does is win - when we seperate the atrocious job he did as GM from his bench time , he's possibly the only coach whos ever been able to get the best from this team..and he wasn't fired , he stepped away to be full time GM.. I would cheer if we trotted him out .

25 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I have a strong feeling you won't see a 1st time this time around, BT has already played that card . He indicated in the presser yesterday he has the money to pay whoever he has to, and that experience is key . He cant get this one wrong .

Ordinarily , I'd be in 100% agreement .. in fact i think I used the same analogy on somebody else,  but admittedly Daryl is different . He has unfinished business for starters, should never have been GM and had he stayed behind the bench here we'd likely have our cups now .

Yes, his games aren't high flying exciting , but if that means playoff runs each year I'll smile and accept it .

You want emotional investment ?  he's a master .. you want an identity ? we'll have one ..  I drool when i think what he can mold Ferland and Tkachuk into ..and he will find a way to get the best from Bennett.. hes raved previously about Monahan 

Behind a bench , all he does is win - when we seperate the atrocious job he did as GM from his bench time , he's possibly the only coach whos ever been able to get the best from this team..and he wasn't fired , he stepped away to be full time GM.. I would cheer if we trotted him out .

You might be right, but I think that the way Sutter coaches and likes his team's to play isn't a winning formula in the NHL right now. He plays slowwr paced, heavy game, with lots of cycling, that is the exact opposite direction the rest of the NHL is going.

https://thehockeywriters.com/coach-bill-peters-reveals-carolina-hurricanes-dna/

Good article on what Bill Peters expects from his players.

https://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/friedman-peters-likely-the-guy-for-flames/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

And here is Friedman talking about the difference's between Gulutzan and Peters.

26 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

You might be right, but I think that the way Sutter coaches and likes his team's to play isn't a winning formula in the NHL right now. He plays slowwr paced, heavy game, with lots of cycling, that is the exact opposite direction the rest of the NHL is going.

I think that's overblown.. he may not have coached them all, but this is the same guy who brought in Mike Cammalleri, Alex Tanguay,etc .. he absolutely uses his his physical players to their strengths, but he also uses his skill players the same . Great coaches adapt. If you're not scoring you need to do the other things 

The irony is at it sits , he left after not being able to find that #1 center for his All Star RW..  now its reversed  

10 hours ago, CheersMan said:

You make it sound like Switzerland is a terrible place to be.  Maybe BH is smarter than you think.

https://www.newlyswissed.com/31-reasons-why-switzerland-is-the-happiest-country/

Where is it that you live again?

I'm sure BH was the first guy they called.  He was gracious to accept.

I was just ribbing you, knowing you were a BH fan.  He was a good coach for this team for one year.  Some of the things he did other years were exactly the same issues that Gully had.  

8 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

https://thehockeywriters.com/coach-bill-peters-reveals-carolina-hurricanes-dna/

Good article on what Bill Peters expects from his players.

https://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/friedman-peters-likely-the-guy-for-flames/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

And here is Friedman talking about the difference's between Gulutzan and Peters.

good articles.   like I said before I would definitely not be upset with this hire , now that I've had time to dig into him a little more .. it does actually smooth out somewhat a few of the trepidations I have on him .

Right now the names I'm hearing most (albeit social media speculating) and my thoughts are 

Peters  - yes

Sutter  - yes 

Tippett - No 

AV - No 

Ruff - Maybe 

15 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I think that's overblown.. he may not have coached them all, but this is the same guy who brought in Mike Cammalleri, Alex Tanguay,etc .. he absolutely uses his his physical players to their strengths, but he also uses his skill players the same . Great coaches adapt. If you're not scoring you need to do the other things 

The irony is at it sits , he left after not being able to find that #1 center for his All Star RW..  now its reversed  

That being said after he was let go in LA, a lot of the skilled players in LA seemed to be relieved as they would be given a bit more freedom to use their skill. 

The other knock on all of Sutter's teams is that they can't score, which was ultimately this teams undoing this year. 

He is a good coach and has accomplished a lot in this league, but I am just not sure if he is the right fit.

There are rumours out there that ownership is pushing for Sutter though, so he could end up being the coach.

11 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

That being said after he was let go in LA, a lot of the skilled players in LA seemed to be relieved as they would be given a bit more freedom to use their skill. 

The other knock on all of Sutter's teams is that they can't score, which was ultimately this teams undoing this year. 

He is a good coach and has accomplished a lot in this league, but I am just not sure if he is the right fit.

There are rumours out there that ownership is pushing for Sutter though, so he could end up being the coach.

No denying , he absolutely has a shelf life , no arguing that Brown and Kopitar especially broke out again this year.But didn't see any of them complaining when they were hoisting cups.They ran into Chicago's problem.. one side effect of being successful for any length of time seems to be it ends in cap jail

We shall definitely see,  but I still cant help thinking the timing of our firing and Bill Peters window is not a coincidence .. tho i don't really know 100% how that works, can he interview and if he finds a job does he have to let them know by Friday ?  or does have to opt out Friday and then he's looking for a new job?

One thing I'll give BT credit for is at least this time, he did it when all the best options are still available ..  I firmly believe GG was his first choice the whole time (he was the 1st person interviewed )  but there's no denying that had he even wanted Boudreau, or Charron etc  it was already too late and he was picking at the scraps pile 

15 hours ago, cross16 said:

Has anyone who wants Trotz watched the Caps lately? 

Ive been really unimpressed with his work. 5 on 5 the caps aren't good (shots wise but they are giving up a lot of goals) his utilization is arguably as bad as Gulutzan and starting Grubaeur is a real head scratcher. 

Persoanally I think Trotz is not a good fit for today's game. if the idea is to move the club forward I don't think Trotz is the guy to do that. 

Trotz is like Hitchcock good fundamental hockey not the ones to take you to the dance. Go with Peters a solid up and coming NHL Coach for this group of Flames.

This is quite a different hire then the last go around. When the Flames hired Gulutzan I thought it was a shallow pool for coaches. The only coach I was really interested in then, and still am now, is Todd Nelson and everyone else you had to build a case for.This go around there are probably 8 or 9  guys I don't think I would complain if they got the job. I don't like all of them, but still wouldn't complain. 

AV - I'm not a fan personally and as i've said previously I think he is overrated as a coach. He over plays veterans and his defensive systems leave a lot to be desired. His success has come with some elite level goaltending that I don't think Calgary has. That being said, how can you complain about a guy that has the resume he has?

Sutter - How can you not love Sutter? I have a ton of respect for him as a coach and a person but I don't think he is the right fit. I thought the LA team was a tailor made Sutter team. Big, physical, grinding, elite level goaltending, tough, deep,  basically exactly what he tired to build in Calgary. The problem I have with him now is the game has changed. Sutter is the type of coach that wants to win every game 1-0 or 2-1 and I don't think you can do that anymore. He's rigid in how he deploys his dmen, and the scoring issues the Kings had mirror what happened last year in Calgary. That being said, It's Darryl Sutter and I think he would instill the right culture for sure which was clearly lacking last year.

Lindy Ruff - See the 15-16 Dallas Stars. I think the Flames are built in similar fashion but with a better goaltender and deeper on D, so you can imagine the potential there. That being said, he's similar to AV. He will attack but his system puts a lot of strain on the goalies. Can Smith handle it? What happens when Smith is done potentially as soon as next year? 

Bill Peters - Obviously made it known i'm a fan of Peters. Could be sample size bias, but just every time i've watched the Canes play i've been impressed. They are fast, they transition quick, they press the issue and they always seems prepared and ready to go. But it is hard to overlook the fact he's never been to the playoffs in 4 seasons and his PP record is pretty bad as well. That being said I think his system is exactly what you want, he can be harder/more demanding on players and h'es had a bunch of international success and is highly regarded by Hockey Canada and that matters to me. 

Barry Trotz - Assuming he is let go in Washington, which I think is all but a certainty personally, his name will pop up. For me, he isn't the right fit. I think he deploys a very safe and limiting system especially in crunch time and that's now what I think the game is about anymore. I also think his decision to start Grubauer for not just 1 game but 2 is one of the bigger head scratchers i've ever seen. That' being said, he has the wins to back it up so as much as I don't like him I think he is a safe hire. I think he'll win you games in the regular season because of his consistency so it's hard to argue against a coach that will give you a chance like that. 

Sheldon Keefe - Almost didn't put him on this list becuase I have a really hard time seing the Flames go this route. That being said, it's so hard to ignore what he's doing with the Marlies. His win % down there is ridiculous. 

Ralph Kruger - Don't think he leaves his job in soccer but I was really impressed with his work both with the Oilers and Team Europe. Very smart, progressive coaching mind who seems to relate well to all levels of players. 

Todd Nelson - Won the Calder Cup in the A last year, one of the most successfull AHL coaches of all time and a guy who actually got the Oilers to play some decent hockey after Eakins. I was really impressed with how he turned that around and some of the articles you read on him are super impressive. He's aggressive, he likes up tempo and he varies his system to his players, but big downside is limited NHL experience. He's another risk. 

DJ Smith - Became impressed with him at the 2015 Memorial Cup when the Generals beat the Rockets. That Rockets team was far more talented but the Generals played a stellar game plan and completely took away time and space form the Rockets. ON pure talent, that game should have been a blowout and I was super impressed with the way the Generals played the game. He was also a part of the back to back Memorial cups on the Spitfires and now has been there to help turn the Leafs around. Impressive resume for a young coach, but again he is a young coach with limited NHL experience. 

Todd Reirdon - Apparently a finalist the last go around and all the buzz on him is "smart". But again, a very inexpereince head coach. Can they go that route?

List can keep going but after this it's a lot of inexperience names that I just cannot see the Flames doing. Guys like Jim Montgomery, Tim Hunter, Dave Leeman, Dave Lowry etc etc etc. 

30 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

One thing I'll give BT credit for is at least this time, he did it when all the best options are still available ..  I firmly believe GG was his first choice the whole time (he was the 1st person interviewed )  but there's no denying that had he even wanted Boudreau, or Charron etc  it was already too late and he was picking at the scraps pile 

Just to point out, the Flames actually fired Hartly while Boudrea was still available. If you recall, back then the "timing" argument was the same in favor of Boudreau and thre were many in the media that linked Boudreau to the Flames immediately because the timing "made sense". 

Flames never confirmed but the speculation is they never reached out to Boudreau as they didn't see the fit, but he was available for them if they wanted. But you are not wrong that the coaching market was not that strong when the Flames hired Gulutzan. 

19 minutes ago, cross16 said:

This is quite a different hire then the last go around. When the Flames hired Gulutzan I thought it was a shallow pool for coaches. The only coach I was really interested in then, and still am now, is Todd Nelson and everyone else you had to build a case for.This go around there are probably 8 or 9  guys I don't think I would complain if they got the job. I don't like all 5, but still wouldn't complain. 

AV - I'm not a fan personally and as i've said previously I think he is overrated as a coach. He over plays veterans and his defensive systems leave a lot to be desired. His success has come with some elite level goaltending that I don't think Calgary has. That being said, how can you complain about a guy that has the resume he has?

Sutter - How can you not love Sutter? I have a ton of respect for him as a coach and a person but I don't think he is the right fit. I thought the LA team was a tailor made Sutter team. Big, physical, grinding, elite level goaltending, tough, deep,  basically exactly what he tired to build in Calgary. The problem I have with him now is the game has changed. Sutter is the type of coach that wants to win every game 1-0 or 2-1 and I don't think you can do that anymore. He's rigid in how he deploys his dmen, and the scoring issues the Kings had mirror what happened last year in Calgary. That being said, It's Darryl Sutter and I think he would instill the right culture for sure which was clearly lacking last year.

Lindy Ruff - See the 15-16 Dallas Stars. I think the Flames are built in similar fashion but with a better goaltender and deeper on D, so you can imagine the potential there. That being said, he's similar to AV. He will attack but his system puts a lot of strain on the goalies. Can Smith handle it? What happens when Smith is done potentially as soon as next year? 

Bill Peters - Obviously made it known i'm a fan of Peters. Could be sample size bias, but just every time i've watched the Canes play i've been impressed. They are fast, they transition quick, they press the issue and they always seems prepared and ready to go. But it is hard to overlook the fact he's never been to the playoffs in 4 seasons and his PP record is pretty bad as well. That being said I think his system is exactly what you want, he can be harder/more demanding on players and h'es had a bunch of international success and is highly regarded by Hockey Canada and that matters to me. 

Barry Trotz - Assuming he is let go in Washington, which I think is all but a certainty personally, his name will pop up. For me, he isn't the right fit. I think he deploys a very safe and limiting system especially in crunch time and that's now what I think the game is about anymore. I also think his decision to start Grubauer for not just 1 game but 2 is one of the bigger head scratchers i've ever seen. That' being said, he has the wins to back it up so as much as I don't like him I think he is a safe hire. I think he'll win you games in the regular season because of his consistency so it's hard to argue against a coach that will give you a chance like that. 

Sheldon Keefe - Almost didn't put him on this list becuase I have a really hard time seing the Flames go this route. That being said, it's so hard to ignore what he's doing with the Marlies. His win % down there is ridiculous. 

Ralph Kruger - Don't think he leaves his job in soccer but I was really impressed with his work both with the Oilers and Team Europe. Very smart, progressive coaching mind who seems to relate well to all levels of players. 

Todd Nelson - Won the Calder Cup in the A last year, one of the most successfull AHL coaches of all time and a guy who actually got the Oilers to play some decent hockey after Eakins. I was really impressed with how he turned that around and some of the articles you read on him are super impressive. He's aggressive, he likes up tempo and he varies his system to his players, but big downside is limited NHL experience. He's another risk. 

DJ Smith - Became impressed with him at the 2015 Memorial Cup when the Generals beat the Rockets. That Rockets team was far more talented but the Generals played a stellar game plan and completely took away time and space form the Rockets. ON pure talent, that game should have been a blowout and I was super impressed with the way the Generals played the game. He was also a part of the back to back Memorial cups on the Spitfires and now has been there to help turn the Leafs around. Impressive resume for a young coach, but again he is a young coach with limited NHL experience. 

Todd Reirdon - Apparently a finalist the last go around and all the buzz on him is "smart". But again, a very inexpereince head coach. Can they go that route?

List can keep going but after this it's a lot of inexperience names that I just cannot see the Flames doing. Guys like Jim Montgomery, Tim Hunter, Dave Leeman, Dave Lowry etc etc etc. 

GREAT summary..

i agree i dont see us going a "next great one " route .. just because for Every Green you have a Dallas Eakins..  BT gets it terribly wrong hes out the door next time too.

I'd love Rierden , but i think we missed the boat .. word was they were declining interview requests last season , meaning hes likely the next Wsh head coach 

16 hours ago, Khrox said:

There's rumours of Darryl Sutter as well. I didn't mind him as the coach of the flames, just didn't like him as the GM.

Wouldn't complain about Darryl Sutter or Bill Peters though. AV... I'm not sure if I trust a former Canuck coach. But he has had some success in the NHL.

Av has taken 2 different teams to the stanley cup finals. As for his loyalties I am sure he wants a SC on his resume as much as anyone.

As for comments he might be better suited to coaching vets, a coach can only coach what he is given. We dont really know how he would handle a young and talented team only because he has never had one. We do know he has good systems and has had good PP's.

2 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Av has taken 2 different teams to the stanley cup finals. As for his loyalties I am sure he wants a SC on his resume as much as anyone.

As for comments he might be better suited to coaching vets, a coach can only coach what he is given. We dont really know how he would handle a young and talented team only because he has never had one. We do know he has good systems and has had good PP's.

Oh he's a really good coach. I can't argue that. I just hate the Canucks so much. But, if we got him, it wouldn't be the end of the world. he does have a pretty good track record overall. I can't even fault him his last few years in Vancouver or this year in New York. Those were just awful teams he was working with.

9 hours ago, cross16 said:

This is quite a different hire then the last go around. When the Flames hired Gulutzan I thought it was a shallow pool for coaches. The only coach I was really interested in then, and still am now, is Todd Nelson and everyone else you had to build a case for.This go around there are probably 8 or 9  guys I don't think I would complain if they got the job. I don't like all of them, but still wouldn't complain. 

I was about to post something similar.  The Flames have a lot of good options, and I think whatever they do will likely be an upgrade. 

• AV is a veterans coach so I have some concern there, but he is a smart coach whose style really fits this team. 
  • Peter's lacks the experience and could be another Gulutzen, but he looks like a better fit (and hopefully won't be shackled by someone like Cameron). 
  • The roster doesn't fit Sutter, but he is a top end coach and with the D we have we could really see the GA go down with him on it. 
  • Trotz is an interesting blend between AV and Sutter, he might be a really good fit, but I see him as a level below some of the other options.  
  • I am surprised more aren't talking about Dave Tippett.  There is the Treliving connection and this guy was considered a top coach for a long time.  

My top pick is Peters.  I think that is who they get and he is the guy I want them to get.  But I would be fine with any of the guys on that list (and a few that aren't on it).  

28 minutes ago, kehatch said:

I was about to post something similar.  The Flames have a lot of good options, and I think whatever they do will likely be an upgrade. 

• AV is a veterans coach so I have some concern there, but he is a smart coach whose style really fits this team. 
  • Peter's lacks the experience and could be another Gulutzen, but he looks like a better fit (and hopefully won't be shackled by someone like Cameron). 
  • The roster doesn't fit Sutter, but he is a top end coach and with the D we have we could really see the GA go down with him on it. 
  • Trotz is an interesting blend between AV and Sutter, he might be a really good fit, but I see him as a level below some of the other options.  
  • I am surprised more aren't talking about Dave Tippett.  There is the Treliving connection and this guy was considered a top coach for a long time.  

My top pick is Peters.  I think that is who they get and he is the guy I want them to get.  But I would be fine with any of the guys on that list (and a few that aren't on it).  

i thought about that too, until I remembered he was highly involved in getting Don Maloney fired as GM, who now works for the Flames ..   could be why he hasnt worked again , might be seen as another Ted Nolan 

1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

i thought about that too, until I remembered he was highly involved in getting Don Maloney fired as GM, who now works for the Flames ..   could be why he hasnt worked again , might be seen as another Ted Nolan 

It's a good point. Read an article quoting Friedman who says he doesn't see him on the radar for Calgary. Maybe it's because of that (my conjecture). Does think he will find a job again though. 

Tippett soured his own rep a bit by the end of his time in Phoenix.  Despite clearly being in a rebuild, he heavily favoured his vets over his younger talent.  More or less wrecked Duclair (or at least alienated him) and Domi declining during his last season.  Made weird choices, like playing Rieder as a top 6 (sometimes top 3) forward.  That said, he never accepted losing, refusing to tank when that was clearly the plan.

18 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Just to add to Peters resume, he has a WHL championship, a Memorial Cup, an U18 Gold, and World Championship Gold, an U18 Silver as a head coach.

He’s a student of Babcock which I like. I also like how he’s not afraid to call guys out to the press.. although he will need to pick his spots carefully, especially in a Canadian market. He’s a more intense guy than Gully, I can’t see a team he coaches lacking emotion. If he is the guy, I’d be happy

11 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

He’s a student of Babcock which I like. I also like how he’s not afraid to call guys out to the press.. although he will need to pick his spots carefully, especially in a Canadian market. He’s a more intense guy than Gully, I can’t see a team he coaches lacking emotion. If he is the guy, I’d be happy

yup.. to me he sounds like a tougher version of GG, which I believe is a good thing . As i said many times, I believed in the system GG preached, just not in his ability to manage players or recognize how to slot them to their strengths. It appears Peters has that 

Archived