Bill Peters - 17th Flames Coach

phoenix66

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

How much credit are you willing to give the coach? 

AV with the Habs was below .500

Gerrard Gallant was a mess in Columbus. 

Peter Deboer never made the playoffs in Florida

Mike Sullivan won less than 30 games his second year with the Bruins. 

Coaches we would consider successfull today at one point were considered failures too. 

Come on Cross you are better than that. Going back 18 years to find a blip in Vigneault's Habs record? he made playoffs and took that team 2 rounds... he was above .500 record when they let him go midway into a season...

e38d0742781b9ae5db2e1fe244d859e4.png

This guy has no playoff games ever as a NHL head coach in 4 seasons.

Bill Peters:

90563237fa085928107ce3694755f692.png

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

58 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Come on Cross you are better than that. Going back 18 years to find a blip in Vigneault's Habs record? he made playoffs and took that team 2 rounds... he was above .500 record when they let him go midway into a season...

Bill Peters:

The Habs were 5-13-2 when they let AV go and he was behind 2 expansion teams in the standings. He was under .500 as a coach for the Habs. Then he goes to Vancouver and New York and gets 2 hall of fame goalies and the rest is history. I would actually consider his last 2 years a blemish too but that's not really the point. 

This is nothing agaisnt AV. It's just pointing out that much of coaching is looking past wins and loses and then even coach who are now considered good or great, have had issues. Peters has never had goaltending the level of AV. 

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

The Habs were 5-13-2 when they let AV go and he was behind 2 expansion teams in the standings. He was under .500 as a coach for the Habs. Then he goes to Vancouver and New York and gets 2 hall of fame goalies and the rest is history. 

This is nothing agaisnt AV. It's just pointing out that much of coaching is looking past wins and loses and then even coach who are now considered good or great, have had issues. Peters has never had goaltending the level of AV. 

He hasn't even gotten league average goaltending. Add that to the fact that Carolina is spending 15m-20m under the cap in a division with cap teams like Pittsburgh, Washington, Philadelphia, the Rangers and Columbus. To just say he hasn't coached a playoff team, while true and a concern, it's a very simplistic view and doesn't take a close enough look at the facts.

28 minutes ago, cross16 said:

The Habs were 5-13-2 when they let AV go and he was behind 2 expansion teams in the standings. He was under .500 as a coach for the Habs. Then he goes to Vancouver and New York and gets 2 hall of fame goalies and the rest is history. I would actually consider his last 2 years a blemish too but that's not really the point. 

If you are going to give goalies the credit for Vigneault's

"6 of 7 winning seasons" in Vancouver"

3214daa103f80e61e85ed1dc8dff8f87.png

and

"4 of the 5 winning seasons" in New York

7e8011183fab4dad7ecefe0528148f0a.png

then you have to blame the goalies too for his roughly .500 record in Montreal.

Can't use that angle both ways Cross.... It only makes you look bad for picking stats and using them for your points.

The reality is you need goalies to have any success as a coach but the success is not totally all because of the goalies you have.

In a league where coaches last about 2 to 3 years then this just indicates Vigneault has a much longer shelf life because he is that good and deserves the longer tenure.

The New York job is even more so because it is among the toughest division to compete in.

Watched a video of Peters at coaching clinic (it is behind a paywall or I would post it on here), but a couple of things that really stuck out to me are: 

1. He talked about analytics and said they were usefully and that he gets stacks and stacks of papers to look through, but the eye test is the most important analytic.

2. He really preaches situational awareness. Knowing where you are on the ice, what time is on the clock, and what the score is. One example he gave was if you are up 3-2 with 5 mins left in the 3rd, are you going to make that extra move at the blue line or just get it deep and get in the forecheck.

3. He has a plan for every situation. If a defenseman is coming out of the box he takes over for one of the tired defensemen on the ice and the tired defenseman becomes a forward, the thinking is that you want the fresh player down low chasing down pucks. 

It was a really interesting watch.

With the situational awareness being a critical thing with him, I wonder how guys like Brodie, Hamilton and Gaudreau will manage with him as they have struggled with that at times, mostly Brodie, but Gaudreau has been guilty of making that extra move at the blue line more than once.

24 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

If you are going to give goalies the credit for Vigneault's

"6 of 7 winning seasons" in Vancouver"

3214daa103f80e61e85ed1dc8dff8f87.png

and

"4 of the 5 winning seasons" in New York

7e8011183fab4dad7ecefe0528148f0a.png

then you have to blame the goalies too for his roughly .500 record in Montreal.

Can't use that angle both ways Cross.... It only makes you look bad for picking stats and using them for your points.

The reality is you need goalies to have any success as a coach but the success is not totally all because of the goalies you have.

In a league where coaches last about 2 to 3 years then this just indicates Vigneault has a much longer shelf life because he is that good and deserves the longer tenure.

The New York job is even more so because it is among the toughest division to compete in.

I think you are missing what I am saying. Again, this is not against AV nor have I ever said he is a bad coach or not a good coach and nowhere did I pick stats. I would agree and would say that goaltending was a downfall for AV in Montreal and a success for him elsewhere. It absolutely works in both directions as it does for many coaches. 

The point was you have to look past wins and losses. Yes everyone is just going to respond "it's a results based league" but reality is it's not always that way for a coach. You need to look past wins and loses before we suggest who is and isn't a successful or failure as a coach. Even good coaches, which i would agree AV is, have situations that don't look good on paper. 

3 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Giordano wasn’t drafted.

Ok???

I was basically just pointing out that Peters doesn't shy away from using his young players, where Gulutzan tended to ride his vets and not give rookies a lot of ice time.

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Ok???

I was basically just pointing out that Peters doesn't shy away from using his young players, where Gulutzan tended to ride his vets and not give rookies a lot of ice time.

Really ? what young players are you talking about here ?

5 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Really ? what young players are you talking about here ?

Kulak, Mangiapane, Klimchuk. Players like Andersson and Foo got more of chance, but that came at the end of the season when the games didn't matter and the team was ravaged by injuries.

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

Kulak, Mangiapane, Klimchuk. Players like Andersson and Foo got more of chance, but that came at the end of the season when the games didn't matter and the team was ravaged by injuries.

Outside of Kulak who was given the majority of playing time these others were not even considered regulars for the team. CAR had a totally different scenario. I don't know much about Peters but I will say if he has a better idea of who to play with who on our team he will be better than GG.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

He hasn't even gotten league average goaltending. Add that to the fact that Carolina is spending 15m-20m under the cap in a division with cap teams like Pittsburgh, Washington, Philadelphia, the Rangers and Columbus. To just say he hasn't coached a playoff team, while true and a concern, it's a very simplistic view and doesn't take a close enough look at the facts.

totally agree.. most of his lineup last year would be in our bottom 6 at best 

Position Starter 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th
Left Wing S. Aho J. Skinner B. McGinn W. Foegele    
Center J. Staal E. Lindholm V. Rask N. Roy    
Right Wing T. Teravainen J. Williams P. Di Giuseppe M. Necas    

6 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Outside of Kulak who was given the majority of playing time these others were not even considered regulars for the team. CAR had a totally different scenario. I don't know much about Peters but I will say if he has a better idea of who to play with who on our team he will be better than GG.

Zykov wasn't a regular for Carolina and Peters gave him in the top 6 and one the PP and he responded by putting up 7 points in 10 games.

6 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Who was Mangiapane going to replace on a regular basis ?

On a regular basis, probably no one , but that isn't the point. If he is called up why aren't you putting him in a position to succeed instead of having Brouwer play top 6 and PP minutes.

42 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Bill Peters:

Exactly. I'm not hating on Peters, I'm sure he's a good coach. I'm just not sure why so many are convinced he's the right coach based off his NHL resume. We just went through this with GG, not sure why some are so eager to keep gambling with unproven coaches.

10 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

On a regular basis, probably no one , but that isn't the point. If he is called up why aren't you putting him in a position to succeed instead of having Brouwer play top 6 and PP minutes.

I am tired of hearing about Brouwer being the reason our whole team is out of whack. You of all people should fully understand that Brouwer is going to play somewhere no matter what. Brouwer did his job this season end of story. There is nothing wrong with having players such as Mangiapane further developing their skills as depth in the AHL.As a matter of success we could use more like him in the AHL.

7 minutes ago, rickross said:

Exactly. I'm not hating on Peters, I'm sure he's a good coach. I'm just not sure why so many are convinced he's the right coach based off his NHL resume. We just went through this with GG, not sure why some are so eager to keep gambling with unproven coaches.

Take a look around many so called proven coaches have periods of failure. Even real good ones lose their jobs.

3 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I am tired of hearing about Brouwer being the reason our whole team is out of whack. You of all people should fully understand that Brouwer is going to play somewhere no matter what. Brouwer did his job this season end of story. There is nothing wrong with having players such as Mangiapane further developing their skills as depth in the AHL.As a matter of success we could use more like him in the AHL.

You really aren't understanding anything I am saying, I didn't blame Brouwer for anything, but is a he a player I want on my PP or in my top 9, no, I think Mangiapane when he is up here on a call up should be playing in those roles.

16 minutes ago, rickross said:

For me it comes down to style of play and use of young players. Vigneault and Sutter are good coaches but I don't think their style of play and the way they ride veteran players is a fit for our team. I also think that a lot of Vigneault's and Sutter's success comes from having elite goaltending, and Peters lack of success comes from having league worst goaltending. 

The other thing here is Treliving probably knows that regardless of who he hires this is most likely going to be his last coach. So he has to go with who he thinks will give him the best chance of success.

Archived