Official Sam Bennett Discussion Thread

flames-fan-911

I like Poirier as well. But I don't see him making the NHL team next season. Might be wrong though.

I think Porier maybe the most NHL ready of all of our CHL prospects, shoulder injury will hold him back but I can see him with a full time role after the trade deadline.

Isn't Poirier having or just coming off shoulder surgery? If so I don't see him making the Flames right away. I see him more of a call up due to injuries or late in the season. Personally, and regardless of his injury, I want to see him put some time in on the farm just to get comfortable with the pace of the big league game.

Lol I think the NHL is gonna have a harder time dealing with his pace then he will with the NHL's... Its unreal how fast this kid is, hes SPEED DEMON!

Instead of getting over excited about the future & expecting it to be next season remember Bennett just turned 18 on June 20 (7 days before being drafted). Let's let him grow up rather then ruining him like the Leafs did with their picks when Fat Harold owned them & other teams have done since. Unlike Monahan he's on a good OHL team so can continue to develope there.

Monahan is 19 as is Poirier.

I'm not big on throwing a lot of rookies on the team regardless of pedigree. We have a lot of rookies fresh out of college that need the AHL to adjust to playing against men rather then fellow college students & playing 82 games vs. 40. Johnny G had a goal is his 1 NHL game. It came in a loss.

Sven had 3 goals in his 1st 5 game tryout. Was he ready to be the star some saw him as in 2011?

The team will go as far as the remainder of last years cast, healed players & signings take us. If Hartley can keep the work ethic we had last year we'll be even better but let's not droll over future pssibilities quite yet.

Sorry. Can that just be changed to "getting over excited".

Hahahaha love the passion FF, you hit the nail right on the head, send him back to JR, let him go to the WJC, compete for the memorial and enjoy being 18... He has plenty of time to worry about the grind of being a pro.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm very happy with this pick. He is the next Johnathan Toews, and gives us something the flames never had... depth down the middle. This rebuild is going in the right direction. I don't know if he should play next season though. I think he deserves 9 games, and if he produces a point per game rate during that duration, then maybe our GM should consider keeping him for the season.  He plays a very aggressive up tempo game, and he doesn't have the muscle mass to pull it off 82 NHl Games Yet. Maybe 50 or 31, But not 82. He Needs to get stronger, and more durable. Nothing wrong with having him site out one year and letting him play in the U20 turny.  

I'm very happy with this pick. He is the next Johnathan Toews, and gives us something the flames never had... depth down the middle. This rebuild is going in the right direction. I don't know if he should play next season though. I think he deserves 9 games, and if he produces a point per game rate during that duration, then maybe our GM should consider keeping him for the season.  He plays a very aggressive up tempo game, and he doesn't have the muscle mass to pull it off 82 NHl Games Yet. Maybe 50 or 31, But not 82. He Needs to get stronger, and more durable. Nothing wrong with having him site out one year and letting him play in the U20 turny.  

Toews is 6'-2" 210 lbs while Bennett measured in at the combine at 6'-0.25" 178 lbs. I think if Bennett wants to be as effective as Toews, then he must be 200 lbs of pure muscle. That's going to take a year to acheive so i think after one or two pre-season games, Bennett should go back to OHL to develop physically.

Toews is 6'-2" 210 lbs while Bennett measured in at the combine at 6'-0.25" 178 lbs. I think if Bennett wants to be as effective as Toews, then he must be 200 lbs of pure muscle. That's going to take a year to acheive so i think after one or two pre-season games, Bennett should go back to OHL to develop physically.

Or spend a month or two with Gary Roberts to learn the meaning of get into a 82 game NHL season type shape....

Or spend a month or two with Gary Roberts to learn the meaning of get into a 82 game NHL season type shape....

Ture that. Any sports athlete will tell you that after the off season your body is heavy with muscle, and your strength is high. After the season ends your body loses a lot of that muscle due to the fact you don't have the luxury of 5 hour workout during the season.That is why some hockey players like crosby, stamkos increase the flex on their sticks as the season progresses. This way their stick is easier to bend as they lose strength as the season progresses.

If Bennett is sent back to junior it is to work on fundamentals, not to gain muscle mass.Muscle mass is gained in the off season. I think that if he is sent back he will have more time to work on his strength and conditioning since his team would be eliminated for the playoffs early. 

Flames sign first-round pick Bennett to entry-level deal

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=727052

Inking Bennett automatic for Treliving
Friday, 25.07.2014 / 12:13 PM / News
By Aaron Vickers  - CalgaryFlames.com (@aavickers)

I think with Sam, obviously we were going to sign him. I don’t think there was any mystery there. It’s just a matter of getting him slotted in. I think with Sam, it’s a good situation where you get the contract behind him and as I talked to him the other day, now the real work starts. Brad Treliving

CALGARY, AB -- Signing Sam Bennett was always a matter of when -- not if -- for Brad Treliving.

So it came as little surprise when the Calgary Flames general manager finalized a three-year, entry-level contract with the team’s top pick, fourth overall, in the 2014 NHL Draft.

“I think with Sam, obviously we were going to sign him,” Treliving said. “I don’t think there was any mystery there. It’s just a matter of getting him slotted in. I think with Sam, it’s a good situation where you get the contract behind him and as I talked to him the other day, now the real work starts.”

Bennett’s signing makes him the 10th member of the 2014 draft class to sign a pro deal, joining Sam Reinhart (No. 2, Buffalo Sabres), Brendan Perlini (No. 12, Phoenix Coyotes), Jakob Vrana (No. 13, Washington Capitals), Julius Honka (No. 14, Dallas Stars), Kasperi Kapanen (No. 22, Pittsburgh Penguins), Jared McCann (No. 24, Vancouver Canucks), David Pastrnak (No. 25, Boston Bruins), Nikita Scherbak (No. 26, Montreal Canadiens) and Ivan Barbashev (No. 33, St. Louis Blues).

Making the Kingston Frontenacs standout the latest to put the pen to paper was a relatively straightforward process, Treliving admitted.

“There’s always little things that you arm-wrestle about,” he said. “There were certain things in there in terms of the bonus structure we wanted to get. Their side was open and a deal got done.

"At development camp, my comment was, at that date there was no real urgency to rush out and get something done. We knew we were going to sign Sam. It fell into place in the last week or so. It’s good to get it out of the way and there are no other distractions for him preparing for camp.

“This is the next step in the process, getting his contract done. Good for him, but now that part can be put to the backburner and his sole focus is getting ready for the year.”

And preparing for Flames main camp come September.

While he’ll participate in Hockey Canada’s summer development camp -- the first step towards the 2015 IIHF World Junior Championship -- and a spin at the Youngstars Tournament in Penticton, Bennett’s attention will be on his first pro camp and his first opportunity to crack an NHL roster.

It’s in camp, Treliving noted, where Bennett will determine his destination for the 2014-15 season: Calgary or Kingston.

“The one thing I want to state clearly is there’s no pressure here on Sam to jam him into the lineup,” he said. “My expectation, quite frankly, is I’m preparing myself for Sam to be a junior player this year. Sam’s going to have to make the team and he’s going to have to make a real compelling case to be here. If he does, good on him and good for us. Then he’s earned his way onto the team.

“There will always be talk and speculation leading up to camp. All those decisions come down to training camp, preseason and where the player is. Again, the time of selecting him, this wasn’t a pick that we said, ‘well, we’re going to take Sam because he can make our team in October’. This is long-term thinking. This is long-term planning.

“We think Sam’s going to be a Flame for a long time going forward. Whether that starts this October, those are things that are yet to be determined.”

•  

•  

Glad to see the club is saying all the right things when it comes to Sams development. Im not sure he is physically ready for the NHL and they seem to be keeping his expectations on a moderate level.

Can't wait till December to see him in Canadian jersey.

Same here!. If he gets sent back to junior he would be the number one center for sure. 

Same here!. If he gets sent back to junior he would be the number one center for sure. 

I agree. I think the playing time in Junior is as beneficial as being up in the NHL. I understand competition is less in Junior, but to be played in all situations with max playing time, I think, is most important for development. I guess some can argue the other way around as well. I also think that in order to groom your leaders, they have to be put in a situation to lead, and having that one more year of experience to be a leader would do wonders for him. 

Going to the World Junior Hockey Championship will do wonders as well. It will allow him to play in meaningful games in pressure situations. The Flames aren't in a position to make the playoffs so how meaningful will the games be. I know the coaching staff will think differently as well as the players. As much as I want to see him play and what he can do, I don't mind waiting a year or two for him to round into form and be a regular NHLer. 

I agree. I think the playing time in Junior is as beneficial as being up in the NHL. I understand competition is less in Junior, but to be played in all situations with max playing time, I think, is most important for development. I guess some can argue the other way around as well. I also think that in order to groom your leaders, they have to be put in a situation to lead, and having that one more year of experience to be a leader would do wonders for him. 

Going to the World Junior Hockey Championship will do wonders as well. It will allow him to play in meaningful games in pressure situations. The Flames aren't in a position to make the playoffs so how meaningful will the games be. I know the coaching staff will think differently as well as the players. As much as I want to see him play and what he can do, I don't mind waiting a year or two for him to round into form and be a regular NHLer. 

i think he should play in nhl

There was no benefit to Monahan's development to send him back to junior; he was on a lousy team, he played 3 years in junior, and was physically developed.  Bennett has only played 2 years, is on a decent team, and is not developed.  I don't mind him playing 9 games to see where he is, but only if he is at the same level as one of our top 3 centers; one of them will have to sit.

There was no benefit to Monahan's development to send him back to junior; he was on a lousy team, he played 3 years in junior, and was physically developed.  Bennett has only played 2 years, is on a decent team, and is not developed.  I don't mind him playing 9 games to see where he is, but only if he is at the same level as one of our top 3 centers; one of them will have to sit.

Well said.  I agree with all of this.

Except for one thing:   Even with all of those things going for Monahan....the logical choice for him was Still to go back to junior.  Only when he started forcing his way onto the Flames roster by highly exceptional, unexpected, consistent play, did he bulldoze an early path to the NHL, coupled with the other reasons you gave.

It was extremely unusual.  

Well said.  I agree with all of this.

Except for one thing:   Even with all of those things going for Monahan....the logical choice for him was Still to go back to junior.  Only when he started forcing his way onto the Flames roster by highly exceptional, unexpected, consistent play, did he bulldoze an early path to the NHL, coupled with the other reasons you gave.

It was extremely unusual.

Most other rebuilding teams treat their low 1st rounders as automatic roster players.  They build excitement, a glimpse of the future, and allow the prospect to forge their spot on the club.  Some are ready and some are not.  I believe that the Flames made the right choice in keeping him here.  Keeping him out of the WJC is debatable, though.

Most other rebuilding teams treat their low 1st rounders as automatic roster players.  They build excitement, a glimpse of the future, and allow the prospect to forge their spot on the club.  Some are ready and some are not.  I believe that the Flames made the right choice in keeping him here.  Keeping him out of the WJC is debatable, though.

22 goals was key after all didnt he play for canada i forgot when but after he did so he still got some experience 

If Monahan was AHL eligible chances are he would have been sent down mid season. His shooting percentage was high to start the season so there was some luck involved in his early output. It slowed down significantly later in the season and his point totals were never all that special. His possession numbers were pretty dreadful despite being relatively sheltered.

After playing a full NHL season he is in the NHL to stay. And that may not be a bad thing. He has NHL size and the right attitude and smarts to keep developing in the NHL. But I don't think he was entirely ready last season.

If Monahan was AHL eligible chances are he would have been sent down mid season. His shooting percentage was high to start the season so there was some luck involved in his early output. It slowed down significantly later in the season and his point totals were never all that special. His possession numbers were pretty dreadful despite being relatively sheltered.

After playing a full NHL season he is in the NHL to stay. And that may not be a bad thing. He has NHL size and the right attitude and smarts to keep developing in the NHL. But I don't think he was entirely ready last season.

I agree.   A lot of people won't, but I have to say that we started to see reallity as the season wore on.  I expect to see more of it in his sophomore season.  Not a negative, just being realistic.

There's nobody to blame for it...I really don't think he gave the Flames any choice but to keep him up.  But even this doesn't mean it was necessarilly the right thing.

Some rebuilding teams (cough cough, Oilers), will consistently hang their first rounders out to dry in the NHL as soon as they are elligible.  Not all rebuilding teams do this.   Even the Oilers may have Started (far too late) to learn their lesson...with Darnell Nurse.

I agree.   A lot of people won't, but I have to say that we started to see reallity as the season wore on.  I expect to see more of it in his sophomore season.  Not a negative, just being realistic.

There's nobody to blame for it...I really don't think he gave the Flames any choice but to keep him up.  But even this doesn't mean it was necessarilly the right thing.

Some rebuilding teams (cough cough, Oilers), will consistently hang their first rounders out to dry in the NHL as soon as they are elligible.  Not all rebuilding teams do this.   Even the Oilers may have Started (far too late) to learn their lesson...with Darnell Nurse.

if u think about it the fails were nail and ryan, hall came in great 

Nurse is the only exception so far.  Draisaitl will probably make the team out of camp.  Maybe he is ready, maybe he isn't.  The fans are demanding a big center to play with Nail, or push RNH down to 2nd line.  We will see how the Oils treat their latest shiny new toy.

Archived