Official Sam Bennett Discussion Thread

flames-fan-911

He's everything this team needs.

He is a relatively safe bet as a Very strong second-line center with a decent chance at developing into a first-line center.

I don't expect him to make the team next year.   That was very evident by the chin-ups.

But chances are, 5 years from now everyone will Laugh about how a bad chin-up allowed the Flames to get the best player in the 2014 draft.  

When he does come into the NHL I don't think it's unrealistic to expect him to be the best player of his draft class.

I agree. Bennett was ranked #1 by a few scouts and to have him fall to 4 is just icing on the cake!

I believe he goes back to junior, hes just not big enough for the wear and tear of the NHL. We saw what happened up north when they put skinny RNH into their line-up, he got injured. 

Bennett needs time to develop, he'll go back to junior and just dominate, hopefully he can also captain team Canada at the WJC, now that would just make me giddy with joy!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's everything this team needs.

He is a relatively safe bet as a Very strong second-line center with a decent chance at developing into a first-line center.

I don't expect him to make the team next year.   That was very evident by the chin-ups.

But chances are, 5 years from now everyone will Laugh about how a bad chin-up allowed the Flames to get the best player in the 2014 draft.  

When he does come into the NHL I don't think it's unrealistic to expect him to be the best player of his draft class.

Seems he had his hands facing the wrong direction (facing out instead of in) and already has his chin-ups training in fast forward.

The fact that the flames could have just taken care of their centre ice positions for the next 10 years is an unbelievably gratifying thought and there is even a chance Bennett turns out better then Monahan.

I'm startled, because I believe the Flames just acquired the best Center out of the O in consecutive years. At the same time I'm wondering, "am I being a homer?".

In 4-5 years, I think we'll be looking back on this and going, "wow, how did that happen?".

It was pretty much a given that Buffalo was taking Reinhart. I don't think that was in question.

Good to know.  Really, if we wanted experienced insight on what would happen in the first 3 picks, we should have gone straight over to the Oilers forum.  Isn't this the most exciting time of year for you guys?

I'm startled, because I believe the Flames just acquired the best Center out of the O in consecutive years. At the same time I'm wondering, "am I being a homer?".

In 4-5 years, I think we'll be looking back on this and going, "wow, how did that happen?".

We REALLY nailed it, imho.   But like you say, it'll be 4-5 years before we know how promising it really is.   Expect Monahan to have a sophomore season.   Expect Bennett to not make the team this year.   We will have to be patient.   But it is looking extremely good at Center.

Not that we wouldn't have room for Connor McDavid..

Good to know.  Really, if we wanted experienced insight on what would happen in the first 3 picks, we should have gone straight over to the Oilers forum.  Isn't this the most exciting time of year for you guys?

We REALLY nailed it, imho.   But like you say, it'll be 4-5 years before we know how promising it really is.   Expect Monahan to have a sophomore season.   Expect Bennett to not make the team this year.   We will have to be patient.   But it is looking extremely good at Center.

Long shot but I would gather we could find room for him somewhere ... sort of rearrange our center position closets

Thanks for taking it easy on those chin-ups, Sam!   You may have just accidentally turned the Flames into a future contender!

Maybe he did it on purpose because he wanted to be drafted by Calgary...   and I can understand why he would want that to happen...   :)

Bennett can do a pull up...   No problem...

159a27795dcdbbe42166828039aa2372.gif

OK...   So maybe he had a little help from Ekblad there...   :ph34r:

But this time Ekblad is just standing back cheering Bennett on...

fbeec587c87d6a31a4a28fd204076872.gif

The myth is over!!!...   Sam Bennett can do pull ups!!!...

I hate to get overhyped for a prospect but it's hard not to do that for Sam Bennett.

Pre-draft, i think we all felt Sam Bennett had the highest ceiling of all prospects and the only player in this draft year with a chance of becoming "elite".  Comparably, Aaron Ekblad was said to be a future 2/3 Dman.  Reinhart has the toolbox but not a complete set of tools.  Draisaitl was a steady two-way guy more suited for a second line Center role.  Bennett was the total package who couldn't do pull-ups.  Easy solved, if not already.  It's hard not to get excited about where the Flames can go with Bennett Centering one of the top 2 lines.

And in the event the Flames get to draft McDavid or Eichel, Bennett can transition to the LW where he's also comfortable being.

I was worried the Flames would outsmart themselves and go Ritchie.  Other than that, i don't think the Flames "nailed it" in terms of having much choices.  Bennett fell to the Flames so i would say the Flames "lucked out" and I agree with those who say in a few years time, there will be those asking how Bennett ever fell to 4th.  This kid is not flashy but like Jonathan Toews, gets it done. 

He's also 7 months younger than Sam Reinhart so it's not a fair comparison of the two until we compare Reinhart today with Bennett in like December 2015.  Let's if Sam Reinhart would be more dominating in April 2015 as Sam Bennett would be October 2015.  I think Bennett wins.

The best part of it is, he also plays LW so with McDavid or Eichel, it would be an easy transition to the left side. 

I also agree i don't expect Bennett to make the team next season.  Sam Bennett officially weighed in at 178 lb at the combine.  I think we'd like to see 195 lb pure muscle and that doesn't happen in the matter of 3 months. 

I know we are all very happy with the out come of the draft but from 1-3 passing on Bennett begs the question why? Did edmonton pick the big Germen so we wouldn't have him to through up against them? Or do they really think he is that much better than Bennett. For a player that was suppose to go 1or 2 in the draft why did he slip to # 4? What do they know we don't perhaps were just lucky but could there be some thing else that every 1 but the flames are aware of.

We've got a pretty weak roster. If Bennett comes in with intentions of cracking it, he can.

We're pretty stacked at Center with Monahan, Stajan, Backlund, and whoever the 4th line Center is, most likely Bouma or Knight.  If Bennett wants to make this team, it's going to have to be LW but then again, I'm more inclined to give Baertschi and Gaudreau NHL time because we need to see what they really are before we move forward with Bennett.   With Glencross presumably top 6 LW, the other top 6 LW will be given to one of the kids.

Not to mention, Paul Byron is NHL ready.  Colborne is pretty much transitioned to a winger, although, struggling as a RW.  He's better as LW.

It's a weak forward group but Bennett shouldn't surpass what's ready for a sneak-a-peak at the NHL level.

I know we are all very happy with the out come of the draft but from 1-3 passing on Bennett begs the question why? Did edmonton pick the big Germen so we wouldn't have him to through up against them? Or do they really think he is that much better than Bennett. For a player that was suppose to go 1or 2 in the draft why did he slip to # 4? What do they know we don't perhaps were just lucky but could there be some thing else that every 1 but the flames are aware of.

I think it's just a matter of team needs. Florida couldn't say no to Ekblad; Buffalo wanted the skill that Reinhart brings and how could they not after he completely destroyed the Hitmen in the series and nearly single handedly knocked them out; the Oilers have Nugent-Hopkins, Hall and Eberle, Yakupov and now Draisaitl. The Oilers weren't looking for the first line center. 

Basically, when we were all doing our pre-draft speculations, most on here nailed it in terms of team needs. Florida already had a lot of forward youth high-end depth. Buffalo was going to take a Sam and the Oilers a Draisaitl while we got the leftover Sam. :) 

I don't think there's something missing. 

We're pretty stacked at Center with Monahan, Stajan, Backlund, and whoever the 4th line Center is, most likely Bouma or Knight.  If Bennett wants to make this team, it's going to have to be LW but then again, I'm more inclined to give Baertschi and Gaudreau NHL time because we need to see what they really are before we move forward with Bennett.   With Glencross presumably top 6 LW, the other top 6 LW will be given to one of the kids.

Not to mention, Paul Byron is NHL ready.  Colborne is pretty much transitioned to a winger, although, struggling as a RW.  He's better as LW.

It's a weak forward group but Bennett shouldn't surpass what's ready for a sneak-a-peak at the NHL level.

I think you have a point there. With Monahan and Backlund, I don't think you want to play Bennett on the left side because I'd prefer him to play Center and play a lot. If he plays as the 4th Line Center, then you're wasting his time and development. I don't want Monahan playing left wing either, so he continues to develop at center. 

Do we want Bennett to play left wing? I prefer to keep him developing as a center in case we don't draft one of the big ones next year. 

Byron didn't receive a qualifying offer today.  He most likely won't be coming back.

Byron wasn't qualified, so he should be replaced by a Sven or Johnny.

Do we want Bennett to play left wing? I prefer to keep him developing as a center in case we don't draft one of the big ones next year. 

Agreed.  I know we shouldn't count our chickens before they hatch but McDavid, Eichel, and Barzal are franchise Centers in next year's draft.  I wouldn't want to ruin his development as a Center by playing him on wing either.  Just keep him at Center and the place that's going to allow that is Kingston, not with the Flames.

Byron didn't receive a qualifying offer today.  He most likely won't be coming back.

Thanks for the update.  I didn't realize.  It's too bad cause he was arguably the fastest Flames and was making a case for the 2/3rd line winger role.  He was dependable in a defensive role.  Yes, he didn't have size but he's effective in his own ways and its a shame he's going somewhere else now.

I am thoroughly hoping that Sam spends another year in Kingston, I want to see him play in the world jrs next season and see how he can improve on his already stellar season this year...

If he makes the big club then good on him but just like Emile this year I look forward to watching him dominate against his peers.

Oh ya, a big NO! to moving this kid to the wing, we have wingers, what we lack is elite talent down the middle so let one of the other centers that are battling for 3rd and 4th line duty move over.

I am thoroughly hoping that Sam spends another year in Kingston, I want to see him play in the world jrs next season and see how he can improve on his already stellar season this year...

If he makes the big club then good on him but just like Emile this year I look forward to watching him dominate against his peers.

Oh ya, a big NO! to moving this kid to the wing, we have wingers, what we lack is elite talent down the middle so let one of the other centers that are battling for 3rd and 4th line duty move over.

I wholeheartedly agree.  I'd like the brass to develop Bennett right.  Give him time to prosper and fill out.  I'm sure new management's mandate is to do as such.

Monahan missed a chance at the world Jr's.  Bennett on the top line would give him a chance at the gold, especially with the caliber of team mates coming down the pipe.

I wholeheartedly agree.  I'd like the brass to develop Bennett right.  Give him time to prosper and fill out.  I'm sure new management's mandate is to do as such.

Monahan missed a chance at the world Jr's.  Bennett on the top line would give him a chance at the gold, especially with the caliber of team mates coming down the pipe.

Bennett is not the same situation that Monahan was in. Bennett has only had 2 seasons in OHL while Monahan had 3 when drafted. Huge difference and leads me to think he will go back for 1 more season.

Still BB said he will get an opportunity come the start of the season.. but do not hold your breath.

Bennett is not the same situation that Monahan was in. Bennett has only had 2 seasons in OHL while Monahan had 3 when drafted. Huge difference and leads me to think he will go back for 1 more season.

Still BB said he will get an opportunity come the start of the season.. but do not hold your breath.

BB/BT will sign him to a ELC, let him get in 9 games and then send him down. That is also a good way to ensure he knows what he need to do to take the next step. Like Poirier last year, he needs to get a little older and bigger.

BB/BT will sign him to a ELC, let him get in 9 games and then send him down. That is also a good way to ensure he knows what he need to do to take the next step. Like Poirier last year, he needs to get a little older and bigger.

I don't know if he gets even that. He is one of the younger players in the draft and he lacks physical maturity. They will see how he holds up in the preseason games. If he doesn't look ready he will go straight to junior I think.

I don't know if he gets even that. He is one of the younger players in the draft and he lacks physical maturity. They will see how he holds up in the preseason games. If he doesn't look ready he will go straight to junior I think.

I'd rather Bennet play in the games that don't count. Because when playing in the games that do, the compete level instantaneously rises, and the last thing any of us want to see is an injured Bennett going into his draft +1 year. Especially with his style of play.

Couldn't agree more with his potential, now whether he's a 2nd or 1st line guy is entirely up to him as the development opportunities are there for him. We already know that management won't rush a prospect in the beginning stages of a rebuild to make the big club right out of the gate unless special circumstances call for it (Monahan). So with that in mind I like the idea of giving him another full season in juniors or if its possible, a full season with Adirondack. That he could gain some chemistry with our other top prospects (if he's eligible..? not sure what the protocol is on those decisions, maybe not old enough?)

On a side note though, it's nice to hear Calgary was the team he was hoping would call his name. Watching interviews and hearing Monahan, Gaudreau, Poirier, and now Bennett talking about their futures in Calgary.. it might not get brought up as much as their skill but I think the character of these guys is a huge x factor. You can never have enough of those guys in the room. .

Archived