Official Sam Bennett Discussion Thread

flames-fan-911

I'd do Galchenyuk, straight across. If we want another scorer, straight across, Hoffman.

My ask would be high. And please everyone, stop over rating Hoffman.

There's 3 zones in hockey, not just a stat sheet. Bennett's working hard at being good in all 3.

Watch Hoffman. He's soft and soft on D. His numbers look awesome but it's because he cheats his responsibilities and has a great snipe.

Bennett doesn't, so he doesn't have the glossy numbers.

If I'm Ottawa, that's a deal I'd do, and if all that hype on Hoffman gave me my pick of Anderson/Kylington/Gillies along with, I'd do that all day.

Bennett, back East: Wow, there's space?

Hoffman, out West: Wow, there's no room.

Make sure you understand what your asking for. Hoffman is Gaudreau-esque on D.

Bennett-Galchenyuk I think is optimal. Both are in the wrong conference imho and high picks.

I might add a D prospect, maybe...

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

If the Flames are not going to use him as a C I would use Bennett to get someone like Reinhart from BUF, a LW/C for a RW/C. A fresh start may do both some good.

Agreed, a fresh start may do them both some good.

That said, Reinhart finishes his ELC this season; he could possibly be signed to a Bridge Contract, but it'll probably be at double what Bennett just signed for.

I also don't think that Ottawa would trade him straight up for Bennett.

45 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I'd do Galchenyuk, straight across. If we want another scorer, straight across, Hoffman.

My ask would be high. And please everyone, stop over rating Hoffman.

There's 3 zones in hockey, not just a stat sheet. Bennett's working hard at being good in all 3.

Watch Hoffman. He's soft and soft on D. His numbers look awesome but it's because he cheats his responsibilities and has a great snipe.

Bennett doesn't, so he doesn't have the glossy numbers.

If I'm Ottawa, that's a deal I'd do, and if all that hype on Hoffman gave me my pick of Anderson/Kylington/Gillies along with, I'd do that all day.

Bennett, back East: Wow, there's space?

Hoffman, out West: Wow, there's no room.

Make sure you understand what your asking for. Hoffman is Gaudreau-esque on D.

Bennett-Galchenyuk I think is optimal. Both are in the wrong conference imho and high picks.

I might add a D prospect, maybe...

I'm not that high on Hoffman either and would prefer Stone.  

I'm also wondering if Ryan should be considered if the Sens are willing to eat 50% cap.

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I'm not that high on Hoffman either and would prefer Stone.  

I'm also wondering if Ryan should be considered if the Sens are willing to eat 50% cap.

Stone is a dream many seem to be having.

It's completely unrealistic, the talk starts at Mony, imho.

Firm "no" on Ryan even at 50%, what a disaster he's become.

1 hour ago, rickross said:

That's the question. It's more opportune to consider trading him while the stigma of his 1st Rd potential is still there. He's a proven NHLer who can play Center and the wing so there's value there. You're asking for a top prospect at minimum if not straight up for a proven NHLer with similar upside. He could be also be used to recoup a high draft pick(s) or lure a top D man. I'd trust Tre to negotiate a near steal  in value or at worst,fair trade value if he were to consider trading him. 

stig·ma
noun
1. a mark of disgrace associated with a particular circumstance, quality, or person.

Not sure what you mean about a "stigma on Bennett" for being a 1st round pick?  Way too early to be giving up on Bennett anyway.

BT has not shown he is particularly capable of stealing anything in a trade situation. Sure we were able to bolster our D ranks with some quality players(Hamilton and Hamonic)  however he overpaid for both especially including multiple draft picks on the larger trades.

He overpays FA's too.

BT has shown to be a capable bargainer when re-signing(note it is not resigning) players.

On 2018-02-14 at 9:09 AM, MAC331 said:

Hoffman would take something like Bennett, Mangiapane and Stone IMO which I would do right now. Pageau is a cheap fan favorite so I don't see OTT trading him.

Big overpayment for Hoffman.  I like him but the deal has to be reasonable for both teams...

I don't mind the idea of Galchenyuk but I don't think you do Bennett straight across. Flames need to add to Bennett, swapping him out doesn't make them better. 

And fun fact, at 5 on 5 Bennett is out producing Galchenyuk this year in just about every category. 

10 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Stone is a dream many seem to be having.

It's completely unrealistic, the talk starts at Mony, imho.

Firm "no" on Ryan even at 50%, what a disaster he's become.

They don't seem to want to pay their stars.  Stone will be near $7-mil-per... and worth every penny in my opinion.  25-years-old and hitting prime at point-per-game pace.  Not just his game but you pay that extra premium for the RHS RW size + grit + leadership + etc.  We got his bro here and could convince him to re-up here long term at Gaudreau money.

...unless you want to argue he will cost us at least $8.5-mil-per to sign long term.

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

They don't seem to want to pay their stars.  Stone will be near $7-mil-per... and worth every penny in my opinion.  25-years-old and hitting prime at point-per-game pace.  Not just his game but you pay that extra premium for the RHS RW size + grit + leadership + etc.  We got his bro here and could convince him to re-up here long term at Gaudreau money.

...unless you want to argue he will cost us at least $8.5-mil-per to sign long term.

I think we need to forget about the "BIG" names only because we don't have the bullets. It's like we are hoping other teams desperation will cause them to flip us a top player.

Cross had a good idea of moving Frolik with Bennett and Jankowski which adds some much needed experience with those two and someone who can skate with them. This would allow us to take a chance on a player such as Leivo (blocked in TOR) to play with Tkachuk and Backlund at the likely cost of a 3rd round pick.

Right now may not be the time to be subtracting and take the full season results into the offseason.

9 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I agree about shorting the good players.  14/15 Stone was one of the top rookies in the league, and they end up giving his a bridge deal.  Maybe rightfully so, but typical of the team.  He should be getting Gaudreau money now.  

Brodie, Gillies and a D prospect.  Maybe not close, but they get a value top 4 D for a guy they don;t want to pay for.

4 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I think we need to forget about the "BIG" names only because we don't have the bullets. It's like we are hoping other teams desperation will cause them to flip us a top player.

Cross had a good idea of moving Frolik with Bennett and Jankowski which adds some much needed experience with those two and someone who can skate with them. This would allow us to take a chance on a player such as Leivo (blocked in TOR) to play with Tkachuk and Backlund at the likely cost of a 3rd round pick.

Right now may not be the time to be subtracting and take the full season results into the offseason.

I don’t think the Flames need to acquire another reclamation project.  Leivo’s career high is 10 points. We must have someone in the AHL or ECHL who can score at that pace.  Give one of the guys in the minors a shot.  

10 minutes ago, stubblejumper1 said:

I don’t think the Flames need to acquire another reclamation project.  Leivo’s career high is 10 points. We must have someone in the AHL or ECHL who can score at that pace.  Give one of the guys in the minors a shot.  

I think you should always be on the hunt for talent as a GM. All that I have heard about Leivo is he could be a break out talent and he plays RW. I happen to think we still have needs on RW.

Archived