Official Sam Bennett Discussion Thread

flames-fan-911

With the 4th overall pick the Calgary Flames selected Sam Bennett.

This is an extremely exciting pick for us. Not only is our rebuild happening in all the right ways -- down the middle -- but Bennett compliments Monahan perfectly by bringing the edgy, "truculent" game that will excite fans and frustrate opponents. He is sure to score, hit, lead, and be a huge contributor to the future Flames. I am excited as hell to see what he's going to accomplish once he develops.

He could have gone first, arguably. To get him at 4 is another steal for the Flames. Could be the pick of the draft.

Voice all thoughts, questions, giddy reflections here.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting this thread in the "Prospects" section before we assume that he's making our team next year, as Monahan really was an exception to most rules.

Welcome to Calgary, Sam Bennett!

IMHO we got the steal in the draft, yet again.  Possibly the draft's top player, taken 4th overall.

Thanks for taking it easy on those chin-ups, Sam!   You may have just accidentally turned the Flames into a future contender!

d28d522fd4a172eb8dbb586dc59c4e10_crop_no

Now go hit the gym

Really excited to have Bennett. He was my 2nd choice after Ekblad, so it worked out very well. He has a dynamic quality to his game and is not afraid to play physical and aggressive. Needs to add some muscle, my first thought would be to send him back to the OHL, but we will see what he does in camp.

I'm so unbelievably happy we got Bennett, Looking forward to him and monahan playing together at the young stars tourney. He's definitely needing to get some muscle on him, which will only come naturally.

Honestly wouldnt mind him staying in the OHL for 1 more year as I would image we get another high pick like this year in the 15' draft. But if he earns a spot like Monahan did then let him play.

This is the best selection inside the top 4 for the Flames. This kid has all the intangibles that we require. Not at his physical prime is more intriguing as he will only get better.

Welcome to Calgary< best of luck with training.

Great pick obviously but I was like most that would have been happy with any of the top 4 ( I had dal colle over Draisaitl) and while yes I would have preferred Reinhart I'm not the slightest disappointed. The fact that the flames could have just taken care of their centre ice positions for the next 10 years is an unbelievably gratifying thought and there is even a chance Bennett turns out better then Monahan.

Like most, let's see what he can do but I expect him to go back to junior and put on some strength. I'm in the camp that if he can play as well as he did at the strength he did AND he'll likely pack on a good 15 lbs of strength just gets you that much more excited about him. Very good chance for the first time in a long time the flames are going to have a key piece to team canada at the world juniors.

Man oh man, I could not be happier, like I said awhile back the thought of him lining up beside Poirier has me salivating, I can really see those two guys complimenting one another.

For the first time in 3 decades the flames strength is down the middle. Sam has the potential to be the best center we have had since.... Ummm DOUGIE GILMOUR LOL!

I was pretty much on my own predicting Aaron and the Sams go 1,2,3 hoping everyone else was right. Clear cut top 3 for me, although I think Draisatl makes sense for Edmonton under the circumstances.

Bennett is just such an exciting prospect. With his competetive drive to go with his talent he could be real captain material down the line. I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed if he is seasoned for two years before hitting Calgary's roster.

Welcome to the Flames Sam.  Looking forward to what you will do for the Flames in the years to come.

As for where he should play next year, that's entirely up to him.  Could he be Monahan version 2.0 and make the club this year?  That would be extraordinarily fortunate for the Flames if it were to happen.  That would give us Backlund, Monahan, Bennett and Stajan as our 4 centres.  Just thinking about that gives me the tingles.  Not only that we could theoretically have Gaudreau and Baertschi in the line up as well.  Will it happen?  Highly unlikely.  But I'm not entirely willing to count it out.  Exciting times in Flamesland for sure.

As the cliche goes "I really didn't expect him to be there @ #4". :D

I wanted him but was sure Buffalo would take him.

I sure did not expect him to make it past #2.

Exceptional passer, can skate with the best, good shot, and if the Doug Gilmour references are half true then we got the steal of the draft.

I sure did not expect him to make it past #2.

Exceptional passer, can skate with the best, good shot, and if the Doug Gilmour references are half true then we got the steal of the draft.

We also gotta remember, how big was Doug Gilmour?

Just some add-on thinking here and wondering:

Not every player with skill is a big hulking forward and super muscular. Was Gretzky huge? So I am okay that he's not as big as we'd like him to be. Some players are shifty and can play with their heads up and not get hit. 

Yes, he's an in your face player. Do you think he's as in your face as Hall is? If his play merits the NHL good, if not, another year down in Juniors won't hurt either. I am glad we got him. As soon as I saw his first videos in the mid-season rank, I put my blinders on to this kid and wanted him over anyone else. 

I am a huge Doug Gilmour fan myself…

Man oh man, I could not be happier, like I said awhile back the thought of him lining up beside Poirier has me salivating, I can really see those two guys complimenting one another.

For the first time in 3 decades the flames strength is down the middle. Sam has the potential to be the best center we have had since.... Ummm DOUGIE GILMOUR LOL!

Or Joey Niewendyk...

Oh the days. How could I not love fall in love with this team? I bandwagon jumped at the ripe old age of 13 when they won the Cup and never jumped off. Excited to have a player who is compared to Gilmour, who has the drive and will to compete. It's the missing piece we've been looking for for years and years. I look forward to watching the kid grow as well as Monahan. 

That's a perfect compliment. Monahan is a silent leader who does what he's told. Bennett a guy who leads by example on his performance… Could be the perfect 1-2 punch with Backlund manning the 3rd for years after… Hope he sticks… 

Not right away obviously, it will take years which makes Stajan's contract smart.

This team is shaping up nicely with Bennet in the fold.  With last year's draft and now Bennett things are solid down the middle.  I am looking forward to seeing this kid line up with Poirier and possible Gaudreau holly hell of a line right there but then there would be our 2nd line of Bear, Mony and possibly Colborne, 1-2 line punch for the opposition but wait!  there is More!  the 3rd line could be just as deadly as the first two, with Kilmchuck, Backlund and Augistino and then...there is still some very solid players to round out the 4th line and then some.  What I really like it the depth on the bottom 9 and beyond.  A good chunk of the prospects here can comfortably play 3rd line, and some even 2nd line without looking too out of place.

I do think there may need to be a few positional conversions but over all our forward lines look pretty good.

In goal, we look pretty solid too.  Though I think we should not forget this position over the next few drafts, could get thin quick on us.

D actually looks not bad moving forward, though some additions may be needed or at the very least keeping some consideration for replacement for our 30+ aged D.  Also, some depth on D would be a good idea moving forward.

All and all, next few years I can see Cgy evolving not too differently from that Chi team, to which, I would not complain if our prospects follow that development path!

Welcome and thank you for wanting to come to Cgy Sam!

He's everything this team needs.

He is a relatively safe bet as a Very strong second-line center with a decent chance at developing into a first-line center.

I don't expect him to make the team next year.   That was very evident by the chin-ups.

But chances are, 5 years from now everyone will Laugh about how a bad chin-up allowed the Flames to get the best player in the 2014 draft.  

When he does come into the NHL I don't think it's unrealistic to expect him to be the best player of his draft class.

Archived