Official Sam Bennett Discussion Thread

flames-fan-911

I'd rather Bennet play in the games that don't count. Because when playing in the games that do, the compete level instantaneously rises, and the last thing any of us want to see is an injured Bennett going into his draft +1 year. Especially with his style of play.

Well, you might ask Fedun about that. Guys trying to make a name for themselves in pre-season can be the worst. But I get the point. I'm just thinking that you give a top prospect a few real games to show him what it takes.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couldn't agree more with his potential, now whether he's a 2nd or 1st line guy is entirely up to him as the development opportunities are there for him. We already know that management won't rush a prospect in the beginning stages of a rebuild to make the big club right out of the gate unless special circumstances call for it (Monahan). So with that in mind I like the idea of giving him another full season in juniors or if its possible, a full season with Adirondack. That he could gain some chemistry with our other top prospects (if he's eligible..? not sure what the protocol is on those decisions, maybe not old enough?)

On a side note though, it's nice to hear Calgary was the team he was hoping would call his name. Watching interviews and hearing Monahan, Gaudreau, Poirier, and now Bennett talking about their futures in Calgary.. it might not get brought up as much as their skill but I think the character of these guys is a huge x factor. You can never have enough of those guys in the room. .

Only a few special cases are allowed to play in the AHL while under 20 years of age. Some obscure rules. So no he would not be eligible

Well, you might ask Fedun about that. Guys trying to make a name for themselves in pre-season can be the worst. But I get the point. I'm just thinking that you give a top prospect a few real games to show him what it takes.

There's always going to be idiots out there.  Whether it's preseason, or 9 games, a taste is all he needs.

Bennet will certainly be exciting to watch on Flames ice, however I'd rather much see Baertschi, Reinhart, Granlund, Knight, Arnold, or Gaudreau given a chance as they have paid their development dues.

There's always going to be idiots out there.  Whether it's preseason, or 9 games, a taste is all he needs.

Bennet will certainly be exciting to watch on Flames ice, however I'd rather much see Baertschi, Reinhart, Granlund, Knight, Arnold, or Gaudreau given a chance as they have paid their development dues.

Hard to say Arnold and Gaudreau have paid their development dues because we just got our hands on them, Knight has one year.

I'd like to see Reinhart and Granlund moving up, Baertschi's a wait and see for me. He just needs to come to camp way hungrier than last year would be an awesome step.

This year's camp is going to be one of our most interesting ever!

Then we have that cap floor issue in the way at the moment to deflate some high hopes.

A centre-wing with great foot speed, skills and edge. Can score and generate offense, but also forecheck with opposing players shaken when he is coming. In open ice, his acceleration gives him even more respect and he is an excellent one-on-one attacker. He will get stronger and maybe bigger. His compete style and versatility have him on the board as a possible first overall. He was selected to the roster for the World Junior Under-18 Tournament in April, 2013.

--Bill Placzek--

Sam Bennett, C, Kingston (OHL)

Bennett took a major step forward offensively in his second season with the Kingston Frontenacs. The key is he was able to do it without losing his physical approach. He's a hard-working player with very little bust potential, as he can make an impact without scoring.

-Bleacher Report-

Only a few special cases are allowed to play in the AHL while under 20 years of age. Some obscure rules. So no he would not be eligible

It depends on where you are playing when you are drafted. CHL players cannot play in the AHL until they are over 20 but players drafted from anywhere else can play in the AHL whenever the team chooses.

It depends on where you are playing when you are drafted. CHL players cannot play in the AHL until they are over 20 but players drafted from anywhere else can play in the AHL whenever the team chooses.

Thanks for the clarification Cross. I knew there was exceptions to the min 20 yrs old rules , I just did not know what the exceptions were specifically.

In pre-season, you don't get to see the real lineups; players trying to make the cut, goons trying to make the cut, goalies in auditions, etc... If he plays at all, I would like to see him in a game situation. The other guys will all get the chance this year anyway.

Hard to say Arnold and Gaudreau have paid their development dues because we just got our hands on them, Knight has one year.

I'd like to see Reinhart and Granlund moving up, Baertschi's a wait and see for me. He just needs to come to camp way hungrier than last year would be an awesome step.

This year's camp is going to be one of our most interesting ever!

Then we have that cap floor issue in the way at the moment to deflate some high hopes.

The college kids were a mention of having 3 years + development in the NCAA, with Knight having +1 year in the AHL.  They have certainly paid their dues more than Bennett at this moment.

The point remains that I would rather Bennett spend a year back in the OHL, lead his team, lead the OHL if he can, win some awards, and hopefully a championship. 

I agree.

I want to see Bennett play in the OHL for another year, then at least one in the AHL.

Beware of edmontonitis.

Duschene, Landeskog and MacKinnon defy it.

Monahan stepped right in as likely the best C available from the O last year. Galchenyuk was before him and stepped right into MTL, although as a winger.

There is no evidence to make it a given he goes down.

His scouting report didn't have him far off "NHL-ready".

There is no "right" way, each is it's own.

And our roster isn't exactly rife with talent, i.e. not hard to crack.

Beware of edmontonitis.

Monahan stepped right in as likely the best C available from the O last year. Galchenyuk was before him and stepped right into MTL, although as a winger.

1297543426737_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&si

Burke is on record for saying he always prefers to send players back to juniors and thinks an extra year or two never hurts them. Monohan was an exception and only stayed up because he was playing great and Hartley promised to use him in all situations.

Beware of edmontonitis.

Your right. The development path needs to fit the individual. It isn't one size fits all. So what worked for Monahan, Duchene, etc doesn't matter.

Bennett plays a very physical game and he looks physical maturity. We will see what happens in the preseason, but on paper that isn't a good combination. He needs to get stronger so he can play his game in the NHL. Right now he either has to modify his game, or he probably gets hurt. At the best he is just ineffective.

Beware of edmontonitis.

This disease or social dysfunction has affected the Oiler fans too.

I made a comment on their forums the other day basically repeating something I had read here about their poor development(ruining) of prospects and LD.

They lashed out at me as a troll so I  started a thread and poll on what they thought about their Prospect Development.

They would much rather throw darts at me than look at their team.

In hindsight now I probably shouldn't have said anything and let them wander around lost in their desert but I do know they are really touchy on the subject and do not want to address the deficiencies..

Nowhere did I say what the Flames have to do or will do with Bennett.

I said that I wanted to see him back in the OHL and to spend a year in the AHL before playing regularly on the Flames.

I believe that he, like most draftees, would benefit from the extra experience.

There is no need to rush a player's development, especially when we most likely won't be play-off bound anyway.

I don't want to be like Edmonton and rush near every top prospect into the lineup the first year.

Of course we keep him here if he is ready, I just don't feel that he is.

Feel free to disagree.

Nowhere did I say what the Flames have to do or will do with Bennett.

I said that I wanted to see him back in the OHL and to spend a year in the AHL before playing regularly on the Flames.

I believe that he, like most draftees, would benefit from the extra experience.

There is no need to rush a player's development, especially when we most likely won't be play-off bound anyway.

I don't want to be like Edmonton and rush near every top prospect into the lineup the first year.

Of course we keep him here if he is ready, I just don't feel that he is.

Feel free to disagree.

I don't think there's room.  With the signing of Raymond, the return of a healthy Glencross, and the emergence of Gaudreau/Baertschi, no point to have Bennett around for 4th line duties when the Flames are stacked on the 4th line. 

Instead of getting over excited about the future & expecting it to be next season remember Bennett just turned 18 on June 20 (7 days before being drafted). Let's let him grow up rather then ruining him like the Leafs did with their picks when Fat Harold owned them & other teams have done since. Unlike Monahan he's on a good OHL team so can continue to develope there.

Monahan is 19 as is Poirier.

I'm not big on throwing a lot of rookies on the team regardless of pedigree. We have a lot of rookies fresh out of college that need the AHL to adjust to playing against men rather then fellow college students & playing 82 games vs. 40. Johnny G had a goal is his 1 NHL game. It came in a loss.

Sven had 3 goals in his 1st 5 game tryout. Was he ready to be the star some saw him as in 2011?

The team will go as far as the remainder of last years cast, healed players & signings take us. If Hartley can keep the work ethic we had last year we'll be even better but let's not droll over future pssibilities quite yet.

Rookies that could potentially make the team next season:

• Agostino (LW)
  • Baertschi (LW)
  • Bennett (C/LW)
  • Cundari (D)
  • Ferland (LW/RW)
  • Gaudreau (LW)
  • Granlund (C/LW)
  • Knight ©
  • Reinhart (C/W)
  • Wolf (LW)

Young guys that are still developing that are on the team.

• Backlund ©
  • Bouma (C/LW)
  • Colborne (C/RW)
  • Engelland (just kidding - salary bump confused me)
  • Monahan ©

Not only does Bennett need to be physically ready.  He also has to beat out a bunch of those guys. We are going to have plenty of kids on the team next season (either full time or on a call up basis) without Bennett.  

Plus, keep in mind that Bennetts NHL contract slides next season.  Meaning we get a free year of ELC if we don't keep him in the NHL for more than 9 games.  The Flames are approaching a period where that matters.  Obviously if he is great in camp and preseason he will earn a game or two in the NHL.  If he does what Monahan did last year the Flames may not have a choice but to keep him up.  But I think it is unlikely and I think the CHL is the best place for him.  

Rookies that could potentially make the team next season:

• Agostino (LW)
  • Baertschi (LW)
  • Bennett (C/LW)
  • Cundari (D)
  • Ferland (LW/RW)
  • Gaudreau (LW)
  • Granlund (C/LW)
  • Knight ©
  • Reinhart (C/W)
  • Wolf (LW)
Young guys that are still developing that are on the team.
  • Backlund ©
  • Bouma (C/LW)
  • Colborne (C/RW)
  • Engelland (just kidding - salary bump confused me)
  • Monahan ©
Not only does Bennett need to be physically ready.  He also has to beat out a bunch of those guys. We are going to have plenty of kids on the team next season (either full time or on a call up basis) without Bennett.  

Plus, keep in mind that Bennetts NHL contract slides next season.  Meaning we get a free year of ELC if we don't keep him in the NHL for more than 9 games.  The Flames are approaching a period where that matters.  Obviously if he is great in camp and preseason he will earn a game or two in the NHL.  If he does what Monahan did last year the Flames may not have a choice but to keep him up.  But I think it is unlikely and I think the CHL is the best place for him.

You forgot about Poirier, who I am really excited about.

The thing about Bennett is that he, Poirier, and Klimchuk are all close to the same age, first rounders, and each brings a decent set of tools. Bennett may have a franchise forward upside, but he is also years from reaching that potential. Putting him above Poirier and Klimchuck at this point isn't fair. Those two improved upon their draft year numbers and are still growing.

Saying that, I still think he may surprise and get some games in the pre-season at least, and up to 5 in the NHL.

You forgot about Poirier, who I am really excited about.

The thing about Bennett is that he, Poirier, and Klimchuk are all close to the same age, first rounders, and each brings a decent set of tools. Bennett may have a franchise forward upside, but he is also years from reaching that potential. Putting him above Poirier and Klimchuck at this point isn't fair. Those two improved upon their draft year numbers and are still growing.

Saying that, I still think he may surprise and get some games in the pre-season at least, and up to 5 in the NHL.

I like Poirier as well.  But I don't see him making the NHL team next season.  Might be wrong though. 

I like Poirier as well.  But I don't see him making the NHL team next season.  Might be wrong though. 

Isn't Poirier having or just coming off shoulder surgery?  If so I don't see him making the Flames right away.  I see him more of a call up due to injuries or late in the season.  Personally, and regardless of his injury, I want to see him put some time in on the farm just to get comfortable with the pace of the big league game.

Isn't Poirier having or just coming off shoulder surgery?  If so I don't see him making the Flames right away.  I see him more of a call up due to injuries or late in the season.  Personally, and regardless of his injury, I want to see him put some time in on the farm just to get comfortable with the pace of the big league game.

He should be ready to play by November. He will have to start on the baby Flames just to get back in shape.

Shame that he won't be available for training camp.

Archived