Official Sam Bennett Discussion Thread

flames-fan-911

I agree.  Brad Treliving wouldn't be able to keep a straight face while displacing one of our incumbents with Bennett.

I'm going to take this opportunity to rail against the transfer agreement between the NHL and CHL.  I understand the need for it, but the best place for a player like Bennett to develop is in Adirondack.  Sure he'll kick a$$ in the CHL, but he could spend the year being groomed for a spot on the Flames.  He'd be developed by Flames personnel using Flames systems and Flames terminology.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking the same thing as I posted. But in Bennett's case, I think the O is still what's best for him.

Let him develop at the normal pace. Perhaps the "sophomore slump" is due to putting too much on the athlete for an entire year and they simply get worn down.

Practice patience. Flames staff will be heavily monitoring him in Kingston just the same.

its not always good to send players in the chl i think is to early to say where he's gonna go lets c what happens in training camp

he goes to Kingston or makes the Calgary Flames. He isn't elidgible for the AHL.

Due to the aforementioned agreement between the CHL and NHL.

Stop expecting Toews off the getgo.

It's definitely too early to make decisions on where a prospect should play. That's what camp is for. But Bennett would have to be beyond terrific to make the team. He doesn't have the size Monahan did and the Flames have more depth at centre this season (Monahan and Colborne added and Backlund taking a step).

It's definitely too early to make decisions on where a prospect should play. That's what camp is for. But Bennett would have to be beyond terrific to make the team. He doesn't have the size Monahan did and the Flames have more depth at centre this season (Monahan and Colborne added and Backlund taking a step).

He may be given a cup of coffee at the start of the season.  I know that he is somewhat a lightweight, but we do have other that fit that mold too.  Is he any smaller than Raymond or Hudler?  Physical strength is more important for the type of player he is tracking to become, which I agree he is not ready for.

To be clear, I have no expectation that he'll be in Calgary this year.  I just don't think the OHL is the best place to develop a player who scored in excess of 1.5 points per game last year.  Sure, he'll go out and put up even bigger numbers this year, but his development will be stunted compared to what he could learn playing for the Flames organization in Adirondack.

Again, I really don't like the CHL/NHL transfer agreement.  While the vast majority of new draftees can benefit from more time in junior, there are always a few players who are ready to take that next step into the AHL.  Unfortunately, that intermediate step isn't available to them.  They can waste a year of development in junior (eg. Jonathan Drouin) or get thrown to the wolves in the NHL (eg. Nail Yakupov)

A good number of the scouting reports on Bennett that I have read, state he already has a NHL quality skillset. 

So that leaves the question of conditioning and the question of how the Flames will view his conditioning to our needs or roster spots available. As for size he is same height and is only 7 pounds shy of Mason Raymond so that should not be much of a factor.

It seems to me that not many scouting reports on Monahan said he would be able to play in the NHL when he was drafted, yet he worked hard through the summer to make sure he had a shot at it.

Edit: actually i do now recall a few scouting reports on him stating that he had the best chance of making the NHL of all the high draft picks last season.

As someone already mentioned Monahan had 3 season in the OHL and Bennett has only had 2. I don't recall Monahan getting the best player award in the OHL in any of his seasons in that league.

He may be given a cup of coffee at the start of the season.  I know that he is somewhat a lightweight, but we do have other that fit that mold too.  Is he any smaller than Raymond or Hudler?  Physical strength is more important for the type of player he is tracking to become, which I agree he is not ready for.

The difference is Hudler and Raymond are smaller players that play a small game.  Bennett is underdeveloped and he will get bigger.  His trademark is his gritty game.  Let him play one more season against kids while he physically develops.

The difference is Hudler and Raymond are smaller players that play a small game.  Bennett is underdeveloped and he will get bigger.  His trademark is his gritty game.  Let him play one more season against kids while he physically develops.

Yes, that was the second part of my post.  Seilof was better developed for a gritty game and broke his cheek from a punch to the chops.

I would personally prefer to see Poirier this year over Bennett.  But that is because I would like to see him smokin' down RW, and think he may be better able to translate the grit this year over Bennett.

I read an article today that linked to an interview with Todd Gill. He spoke of coaching Sam Bennett in Kingston & scouting him prior. I can't remember the exact article (I was on a lot of sites) or where the link lead but he'd been impressed when they were scouting others on the Marlies. I remember him saying the Flames got the best center in the draft.

To be clear, I have no expectation that he'll be in Calgary this year.  I just don't think the OHL is the best place to develop a player who scored in excess of 1.5 points per game last year.  Sure, he'll go out and put up even bigger numbers this year, but his development will be stunted compared to what he could learn playing for the Flames organization in Adirondack.

Again, I really don't like the CHL/NHL transfer agreement.  While the vast majority of new draftees can benefit from more time in junior, there are always a few players who are ready to take that next step into the AHL.  Unfortunately, that intermediate step isn't available to them.  They can waste a year of development in junior (eg. Jonathan Drouin) or get thrown to the wolves in the NHL (eg. Nail Yakupov)

true

he goes to Kingston or makes the Calgary Flames. He isn't elidgible for the AHL.

Due to the aforementioned agreement between the CHL and NHL.

Stop expecting Toews off the getgo.

what do u want him to get tear up the ohl, no completion or have him get nhl experience we can only tell at training camp if he's ready or not

I read an article today that linked to an interview with Todd Gill. He spoke of coaching Sam Bennett in Kingston & scouting him prior. I can't remember the exact article (I was on a lot of sites) or where the link lead but he'd been impressed when they were scouting others on the Marlies. I remember him saying the Flames got the best center in the draft.

Considering Bennett was ranked #1 by Central Scouting, it doesn't take Todd Gill to confirm the Flames got the best Center in the draft, not to mention the best player overall.  Time will tell i guess.  It was said to be a weak draft year but that's because the draft lacked a bonafide point-per-game game breaker. Every draft class has players like Jonathan Toews who does more than just score goals and I feel Bennett offers more intangibles than others like Sam Reinhart and Leon Draisaitl. 

Most of the 1st 4 selected were ranked #1 @ times the year or 2 preceeding the draft Peeps. Even so Bennett was the 1 I was hoping we'd get.

I don't expect Toews level but will be mighty happy if we get a Mike Richards (MC, WJC Gold, Calder Cup, Olympic Gold, SC) type winner.

3 teams picked before Calgary & all figure they landed the best player. The previous year I was torn between Monahan & Nurse but this year I was hoping only for Bennett.

this year I was hoping only for Bennett.

Almost same boat. I would have been okay with Draisatl as a consolation prize but was really hoping for Bennett (Reinhart was good, but figured he wouldn't make #4 and the few times I've seen him play, it didn't seem like he hustled every shift, Bennet and Draisaitl every game I caught of them they both hustled 95% of the time)

Still believe Bennett goes back to Junior.  There's just no way he's slotted into the Flames plans this year.  There's too much competition for him to leapfrog his way into the lineup.  Let him dominate the O and get his chance at WJC gold is what I say.

Can he not do the Flames and the WJ's too? Seems to me Monahan was slotted on that team until he got hurt.

Can he not do the Flames and the WJ's too? Seems to me Monahan was slotted on that team until he got hurt.

The Flames didn't have depth at Center last year with only Stajan and Backlund.  This year, Bennett has to outplay Stajan, Backlund, AND Monahan.  LW is even more crowded.  I agree Bennett stays one year in Juniors.

He could it's just very unlikely the flames would allow it. If he's in the NHL club it will be because he is contributing and if he is contributing I can't see the flames wanting to take him out of the lineup.

Archived