Official Sam Bennett Discussion Thread

flames-fan-911

I could see him being in the NHL next year. Depending on his recovery you could possibly send him down to the AHL on a conditioning stint and then if his CHL team is done keep him there for the rest of the AHL season and playoffs. That would give everyone a good sense of where he is. Playing with the injury and looking like he was one of the Flames best players during the preseason makes me think hes probably ready now.

I think his skill set is ready. His physical maturity was more of the issue. I was hoping he would be able to put on mass this season. Depending on the recovery that may be tough now.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they will probably let him rehab in Calgary, which has already been said. After that would they not be forced to send him back to juniors? I dont believe they can keep him on in any other way unless they want to burn a year of ELC? the only good thing I see coming out of this is that he gets more of an idea of what it takes to be an everyday NHLer and the way this kid is once his injury is fixed he will be all guns blazing trying to make the team next year, just needs to put on a little more size

This is a major set back.  The Flames can down play it all they want but this is a lost year.  Pre-existing injury or not, this is the problem with bringing kids in before they are physically mature.  How much time did RNH miss in his first couple of seasons with weak shoulders?  I see Hayes in NY is suffering from shoulder problem too.    

I think they will probably let him rehab in Calgary, which has already been said. After that would they not be forced to send him back to juniors? I dont believe they can keep him on in any other way unless they want to burn a year of ELC? the only good thing I see coming out of this is that he gets more of an idea of what it takes to be an everyday NHLer and the way this kid is once his injury is fixed he will be all guns blazing trying to make the team next year, just needs to put on a little more size

They only burn a year if they play him for a 10th game this season. Typically, you would not keep a player for a year and not play him for long stretches of time. Playing 9 games in March or April doesn't affect the ELC.

They only burn a year if they play him for a 10th game this season. Typically, you would not keep a player for a year and not play him for long stretches of time. Playing 9 games in March or April doesn't affect the ELC.

Hmm ya I understand that but I'm kinda wondering if it would be worth it to play him 9 games in February is all I was saying.

How does this work then?  He's a non-roster player and insurance pays him his salary as if he were a Flame?  He stays with the Flames until he is absolutely game-ready and then they send him to junior?

Can he practice with the Flames when his progress allows it?  Is he in any way eligible to go to Adirondack for a rehab assignment without his ELC kicking in?

How does this work then?  He's a non-roster player and insurance pays him his salary as if he were a Flame?  He stays with the Flames until he is absolutely game-ready and then they send him to junior?

Can he practice with the Flames when his progress allows it?  Is he in any way eligible to go to Adirondack for a rehab assignment without his ELC kicking in?

Some quick answers:

- He doesn't need to be sent to junior until they decide not to play him more than 9 games.

- He can practice once cleared to play, but that will be late in the season. Insurance wise, it may create an issue, but I can't say 100% for sure. That is why they have contract guys to worry about that stuff.

- He can only be assigned to Addy if his team has finished its season and playoffs are done; due to age.

What they will do is a different answer. I expect that will be a GM/Coach decision. 

• 2 weeks later...

Some quick answers:- He doesn't need to be sent to junior until they decide not to play him more than 9 games.- He can practice once cleared to play, but that will be late in the season. Insurance wise, it may create an issue, but I can't say 100% for sure. That is why they have contract guys to worry about that stuff.- He can only be assigned to Addy if his team has finished its season and playoffs are done; due to age.What they will do is a different answer. I expect that will be a GM/Coach decision. 

Earlier I believe I heard Bennett would be spending a few weeks back in Ontario then back to Calgary. Any confirmation of that? I was kind of thinking it might end up like Sieloff last year.

Earlier I believe I heard Bennett would be spending a few weeks back in Ontario then back to Calgary. Any confirmation of that? I was kind of thinking it might end up like Sieloff last year.

Latest I heard was Bennett was resting at "home". He can't do anything for at least 6 weeks after surgery. No point in being in Calgary until that is up. After that, he could start skating and doing rehab. Seilof was in a situation so severe, he couldn't even risk sweating.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

He's back in Calgary after the holiday's, he's finally skating again!

I'm not sure what the situation is with his junior club if they're play-off bound or not, but giving him a few games after he's done full rehab wouldn't be the end of the world, but it depends on how much weight he's put on, and his conditioning.

I'd like to see him returned to junior on a championship caliber team, even if it would require him getting his junior rights traded. Kinda like Draisaitl in edmonton he got traded before being sent down.

He's back in Calgary after the holiday's, he's finally skating again!

I'm not sure what the situation is with his junior club if they're play-off bound or not, but giving him a few games after he's done full rehab wouldn't be the end of the world, but it depends on how much weight he's put on, and his conditioning.

I'd like to see him returned to junior on a championship caliber team, even if it would require him getting his junior rights traded. Kinda like Draisaitl in edmonton he got traded before being sent down.

The OHL trade deadline has passed and I didn't hear anything about Bennett's rights being traded.

My guess is that Bennett goes to Adirondack for a 5 game conditioning stint as per the rules of the CBA. Those 5 games will go a long way to determining where he will go after that. I think he will be sent back to Kingston, and if they get bounced from the playoffs, he will be signed to Adirondack on a tryout contract for the rest of the season.

The OHL trade deadline has passed and I didn't hear anything about Bennett's rights being traded.

My guess is that Bennett goes to Adirondack for a 5 game conditioning stint as per the rules of the CBA. Those 5 games will go a long way to determining where he will go after that. I think he will be sent back to Kingston, and if they get bounced from the playoffs, he will be signed to Adirondack on a tryout contract for the rest of the season.

Must remember that he is still available to the Flames to play up to 9 games this year. The Flames management and coaching staff aren't going to let him play until he is deemed 100% by the medical staff. No more taking his word on his health.

Whether he plays those game with the Flames will depend on the roster/injury situation between now and the end of February. I figure he is at least 2-4 weeks from being ready to play. His drive to play with the Flames this year will probably force management to give him a few games at least. I hope they plan that well, so he isn't playing a bone crushing team like the Kings or Ducks.

Must remember that he is still available to the Flames to play up to 9 games this year. The Flames management and coaching staff aren't going to let him play until he is deemed 100% by the medical staff. No more taking his word on his health.

Whether he plays those game with the Flames will depend on the roster/injury situation between now and the end of February. I figure he is at least 2-4 weeks from being ready to play. His drive to play with the Flames this year will probably force management to give him a few games at least. I hope they plan that well, so he isn't playing a bone crushing team like the Kings or Ducks.

Bennett playing in Calgary this year isn't out of the question. I think he will get the 5 game conditioning stint in Adirondack first. If he plays well there then yeah he might get the call to play in Calgary. If he struggles or even if he just plays OK, I think he will be sent to Kingston.

I don't believe he's old enough to play in AHL. Is there a rule that would allow an under aged player to play in AHL when rehabbing an injury?

Pretty cerain the only options are Flames or back to Junior. I believe he gets a shot on the big club for a few games, however regardless of how he does, he gets sent back. Here is a list of games for Feb, I would assume mid Feb we may see him.

FYI: Currently Kingston is in 7th place in their conference, and only 4 points out of 4th and 2 points out of 5th with 2 games at hand.

133ed2b41a764cdf5a829a092d2000a2.png

Pretty cerain the only options are Flames or back to Junior. I believe he gets a shot on the big club for a few games, however regardless of how he does, he gets sent back. Here is a list of games for Feb, I would assume mid Feb we may see him.

FYI: Currently Kingston is in 7th place in their conference, and only 4 points out of 4th and 2 points out of 5th with 2 games at hand.

133ed2b41a764cdf5a829a092d2000a2.png

If the Flames are still in the thick for a playoff race by mid-Feb, then Bennett should go straight to Junior. They shouldn't be toying with the idea of an 18 year old rookie in their lineup. This is especially true since they have more than a handful of capable players who can help the team get Wins.

I don't believe he's old enough to play in AHL. Is there a rule that would allow an under aged player to play in AHL when rehabbing an injury?

Shea Theodore and Jonathan Drouin both were sent to the AHL for conditioning stints this year. My mistake was thinking it was for 5 games its for 2 weeks.

It’s good to see Sam is healing up.  The only scenario I see Sam lacing them up for the Flames this year is if Kingston is eliminated and the Flames are out of a playoff spot.

If he is sent down he won't be able to be recalled after the trade deadline, unless there is a lot of I juries and then he can be recalled for a few games on an emergency basis, like Baertschi was a few years ago.

Shea Theodore and Jonathan Drouin both were sent to the AHL for conditioning stints this year. My mistake was thinking it was for 5 games its for 2 weeks.

If he is sent down he won't be able to be recalled after the trade deadline, unless there is a lot of I juries and then he can be recalled for a few games on an emergency basis, like Baertschi was a few years ago.

Yeah, and look how well that turned out for him... NOT! I think give him a few games for the experience then send him back to Junior to help out Kingston and get re-invigorated by his old mentor, and GM-Doug Gilmour. Once they are eliminated he can go up to Addy and help them in the playoffs.

I agree with sending him to Kingston. There's no time to experiment if the flames are in a playoff push. He's not up to nhl speed as he's been out for awhile and hadn't played at this level other than in the preseason, we know the first 9 games is a lot different that games 45-82.

Sure he might be able to handle it, but the risk is too high at the moment.

Archived