Official Sam Bennett Discussion Thread

flames-fan-911

If Monahan was AHL eligible chances are he would have been sent down mid season. His shooting percentage was high to start the season so there was some luck involved in his early output. It slowed down significantly later in the season and his point totals were never all that special. His possession numbers were pretty dreadful despite being relatively sheltered.

After playing a full NHL season he is in the NHL to stay. And that may not be a bad thing. He has NHL size and the right attitude and smarts to keep developing in the NHL. But I don't think he was entirely ready last season.

He was injured midseason and when he came back he was given 4th line duties while wearing a friggin boot cast. He wouldn't have been sent down to AHL if eligible with the exception of conditioning.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was injured midseason and when he came back he was given 4th line duties while wearing a friggin boot cast. He wouldn't have been sent down to AHL if eligible with the exception of conditioning.

Monahan had 9 points in 6 goals in his 9 game audition to start the season. It would take him 26 more games to match that.  His 6 goals came on 21 shots.  That's a 35% shooting percentage which means a lot of luck was involved.  

To further the point, Monahan had 15 points in Oct/Nov.  He had 19 points for the remaining of the season. 

There is no question he slowed down offensively.  Defensively he was a near team worse -20 despite sheltered circumstances.  His relative CORSI was also not good given his circumstances.  

He had a fast start that forced the coaches to keep him up.  But he slowed down after his audition and his defensive game wasnt' NHL ready.  You and I will never know if the coaches would have sent him down.  But there is plenty of reason to think it was a possibility.  

That isn't to say I don't like the player.  I like him a LOT.  But the facts are facts. 

Monahan had 9 points in 6 goals in his 9 game audition to start the season. It would take him 26 more games to match that.  His 6 goals came on 21 shots.  That's a 35% shooting percentage which means a lot of luck was involved.  

To further the point, Monahan had 15 points in Oct/Nov.  He had 19 points for the remaining of the season. 

There is no question he slowed down offensively.  Defensively he was a near team worse -20 despite sheltered circumstances.  His relative CORSI was also not good given his circumstances.  

He had a fast start that forced the coaches to keep him up.  But he slowed down after his audition and his defensive game wasnt' NHL ready.  You and I will never know if the coaches would have sent him down.  But there is plenty of reason to think it was a possibility.  

That isn't to say I don't like the player.  I like him a LOT.  But the facts are facts. 

i agree with u stats are stats. only impressive thing to me was the 20 plus goal season this year but he did do the little things that u can't c

This is the difference between a 50 and 82 game schedule.

I think the game pace and the tight schedule is something he had to expirience.

This too ^^^

Stats people can't consider these things as there is no stat to compare these.

Add to that some other intangibles :

playing half your games in a high altitude city

Travel demands of western teams

there are more

This too ^^^

Stats people can't consider these things as there is no stat to compare these.

Add to that some other intangibles :

playing half your games in a high altitude city

Travel demands of western teams

there are more

Sure there are lots of intagibles. Making your own dinner. Learning to live on your own. Laundry. All of the things you listed. Though those are best learned in the AHL where part of the coaching staff job is to help with those things. But I don't see what that has to do with the point.

The point was he produced in the first 9 games forcing the Flames to keep him up. His production slowed way down after the first 9 games. If the AHL was an option the Flames may have used it.

Back to Bennett. He will be in the same boat as Monahan. Except Monahan had NHL size and was a year further along in development. Bennett doesn't have the size and is a year back. If I were the Flames I wouldn't even give him a 9 game trial. Give him a game or two as a taste (if he earns it) than send him back to avoid running into this problem.

Sure there are lots of intagibles. Making your own dinner. Learning to live on your own. Laundry. All of the things you listed. Though those are best learned in the AHL where part of the coaching staff job is to help with those things. But I don't see what that has to do with the point.

The point was he produced in the first 9 games forcing the Flames to keep him up. His production slowed way down after the first 9 games. If the AHL was an option the Flames may have used it.

Back to Bennett. He will be in the same boat as Monahan. Except Monahan had NHL size and was a year further along in development. Bennett doesn't have the size and is a year back. If I were the Flames I wouldn't even give him a 9 game trial. Give him a game or two as a taste (if he earns it) than send him back to avoid running into this problem.

i think he should get the 9 game trial he needs nhl expeince

"Back to Bennett. He will be in the same boat as Monahan. Except Monahan had NHL size and was a year further along in development. Bennett doesn't have the size and is a year back. If I were the Flames I wouldn't even give him a 9 game trial. Give him a game or two as a taste (if he earns it) than send him back to avoid running into this problem."

I totally agree with this statement.

In our current situation, we can afford to start developing our prospects properly by not rushing them.

We have a few players in the AHL that deserve an extended look at the start of the 2014/2015 season.

If Bennett earns a game or two at the beginning of the year, give them to him.

If not, another year of CHL will certainly help him.

The following season, I see him starting in the AHL and earning a spot on Calgary later in the year. 

"Back to Bennett. He will be in the same boat as Monahan. Except Monahan had NHL size and was a year further along in development. Bennett doesn't have the size and is a year back. If I were the Flames I wouldn't even give him a 9 game trial. Give him a game or two as a taste (if he earns it) than send him back to avoid running into this problem."

I totally agree with this statement.

In our current situation, we can afford to start developing our prospects properly by not rushing them.

We have a few players in the AHL that deserve an extended look at the start of the 2014/2015 season.

If Bennett earns a game or two at the beginning of the year, give them to him.

If not, another year of CHL will certainly help him.

The following season, I see him starting in the AHL and earning a spot on Calgary later in the year. 

Treliving on Fan960: He expects Bennett to return to Juniors but would let training camp decide.

Decoded: "I've already decided that he's going back to Juniors but I can't come right out and say that so I have no choice but to dangle a carrot infront of him so he works out hard during the summer."

Treliving on Fan960: He expects Bennett to return to Juniors but would let training camp decide.

Decoded: "I've already decided that he's going back to Juniors but I can't come right out and say that so I have no choice but to dangle a carrot infront of him so he works out hard during the summer."

I would prefer that we bring Bennett along slowly.  Stajan, Backlund and Monahan (not in any particular order) are ahead of him on the depth chart, and I don't want to see him switch to a winger to make the team.  He is at the same depth (unproven in the NHL or AHL) as Janko, and the two are probably NHL bound at the same time.

If you consider both Janko and Bennett making the NHL in two years, you have the option of trading Stajan and switching Backlund to RW.  That gives you two big centres (Monahan and Janko), one super-skilled guy (Bennett) and various options at 4th (Arnold, Knight, or Reinhart. 

I would prefer that we bring Bennett along slowly.  Stajan, Backlund and Monahan (not in any particular order) are ahead of him on the depth chart, and I don't want to see him switch to a winger to make the team.  He is at the same depth (unproven in the NHL or AHL) as Janko, and the two are probably NHL bound at the same time.

If you consider both Janko and Bennett making the NHL in two years, you have the option of trading Stajan and switching Backlund to RW.  That gives you two big centres (Monahan and Janko), one super-skilled guy (Bennett) and various options at 4th (Arnold, Knight, or Reinhart. 

I also prefer we bring him along slowly.

Monahan sheltered Klimchuk and Poirier and allowed them to develop on their own pace.  I feel next season, Gaudreau's rookie season can help to shelter Bennett.  Hopefully, Monahan and Gaudreau will together help keep attention away from the other young kids and allow them to take their time to get ready for the NHL.  This includes the guys mentioned above as well as Baertschi, Jankowski, and others.

I think the Flames shouldn't seriously consider Bennett on their roster until training camp 2015.

I also prefer we bring him along slowly.

Monahan sheltered Klimchuk and Poirier and allowed them to develop on their own pace.  I feel next season, Gaudreau's rookie season can help to shelter Bennett.  Hopefully, Monahan and Gaudreau will together help keep attention away from the other young kids and allow them to take their time to get ready for the NHL.  This includes the guys mentioned above as well as Baertschi, Jankowski, and others.

I think the Flames shouldn't seriously consider Bennett on their roster until training camp 2015.

ya but it wouldn't hurt if bennett rips up camp and joins the team

ya but it wouldn't hurt if bennett rips up camp and joins the team

Of course it wouldn't, but we must learn to temper our expectations.  The odds are not in favor of Bennett coming in and being lights out.  He has to be better than Stajan, Backlund and Monahan in order to get a whiff and I just don't see that happening.  And here's the thing with Monahan last year.  I truly believe he made the team last year by not only playing well, but also by being a fan drawing ticket.  The Flames knew they had to keep fans in the seats because rebuilding is not pretty.  That's not to take away from anything Monahan did or his ability to play hockey, I just think PR had a lot to do with it as well.  The Flames won't need that this year so there's no pressing need for Bennett to be in the limelight.  There's already a lot for fans to look forward to.  The crease battle, how Monahan will fare in his 2nd season, how will Mason Raymond fit in, will JH make the team?  And the list goes on.  The best place for Bennett in my opinion is back in Junior where he will dominate and also have a chance to compete in the WJC.

I have heard a lot about Mcdavid but nothing on Bennet and Klim on there progress with the national team any one heard any thing

ya kilm has 1 point he's been playing with mcdavid but only played one game, sam had a good game today he had 1 goal and 1 a in two games tmwr I'm guessing ilim will play his 2nd game tmwr but today bennett toke some penalties 3 i think he plays with grit. if u want to watch the last practice game tmwr it is at 12 pm on tsn.com

Of course it wouldn't, but we must learn to temper our expectations.  The odds are not in favor of Bennett coming in and being lights out.  He has to be better than Stajan, Backlund and Monahan in order to get a whiff and I just don't see that happening.  And here's the thing with Monahan last year.  I truly believe he made the team last year by not only playing well, but also by being a fan drawing ticket.  The Flames knew they had to keep fans in the seats because rebuilding is not pretty.  That's not to take away from anything Monahan did or his ability to play hockey, I just think PR had a lot to do with it as well.  The Flames won't need that this year so there's no pressing need for Bennett to be in the limelight.  There's already a lot for fans to look forward to.  The crease battle, how Monahan will fare in his 2nd season, how will Mason Raymond fit in, will JH make the team?  And the list goes on.  The best place for Bennett in my opinion is back in Junior where he will dominate and also have a chance to compete in the WJC.

y'a plus monahan had a extra year in juniors and played with a struggling ohl team

I didn't see a lot of Klimchuk.  He missed the second and third periods of today's game.  I assume he got injured.

Bennett has been given a lot of ice time during the games.  I imagine the coaches are trying to evaluate where he would fit if he were to make the team in December.  He's played on the PP, PK, even strength at centre and on the wing(s).  Assuming the 'incumbents' from last year get first crack at centre, I expect Bennett would have to play on the wing.

Bennett is as gritty as advertised.  He took some penalties that could make him a liability.  I can accept his roughing penalties, but the stick-related penalties didn't help his cause.  In his defense,  the team took far too many penalties today.  It's hard to win when you're taking 22 (!) penalties in a single game.

He wants the puck.  He'll go all over the ice to get it.  Likewise, he likes to hit.  He'll hit someone in the corner then race cross-ice to make a hit at the blue line.

If I'm selecting the players for the final roster, Bennett is on my team.  Klimchuk is on the bubble.

I was impressed with a number of players who didn't play on last year's team: Nick Ritchie, Michael Dal Colle, Haydn Fleury, and Robby Fabbri to name a few.

I didn't see a lot of Klimchuk.  He missed the second and third periods of today's game.  I assume he got injured.

Bennett has been given a lot of ice time during the games.  I imagine the coaches are trying to evaluate where he would fit if he were to make the team in December.  He's played on the PP, PK, even strength at centre and on the wing(s).  Assuming the 'incumbents' from last year get first crack at centre, I expect Bennett would have to play on the wing.

Bennett is as gritty as advertised.  He took some penalties that could make him a liability.  I can accept his roughing penalties, but the stick-related penalties didn't help his cause.  In his defense,  the team took far too many penalties today.  It's hard to win when you're taking 22 (!) penalties in a single game.

He wants the puck.  He'll go all over the ice to get it.  Likewise, he likes to hit.  He'll hit someone in the corner then race cross-ice to make a hit at the blue line.

If I'm selecting the players for the final roster, Bennett is on my team.  Klimchuk is on the bubble.

I was impressed with a number of players who didn't play on last year's team: Nick Ritchie, Michael Dal Colle, Haydn Fleury, and Robby Fabbri to name a few.

i really like lazar

Lazar played very well, but I think there's a very good chance that he'll be in the NHL this season.  There are a few other WJHC alumni that might not be available.  I'd be very surprised if Drouin doesn't play in Tampa this year.  Horvat could be paying for the Canucks. 

is kilim actually injured never heard any news

Thanks for the updates.

Who was on Bennett's line most of the time?

Thanks for the updates.

i think for the most part one game he played with sam and anthony duclair 

Thanks for the updates.

klim also played with connor mcdavid some times but for the most part he played with robby fabbri and perlini

• 2 weeks later...

My biggest concern is the so-called "sophomore slump" seems to affect centers more than other positions imo.

Responsibility keeps growing and if you get off to a slow start all of those "sophomore slump" whisperings start getting in your head.

Makes sense, hardest position to play...

My feeling is Monahan is a pretty together kid coming from an OHL culture of losing. He's had his hard knocks and hard luck times on the ice.

I'm wondering if a "sophomore slump" will be treated like, " hey, ever lost 14 in a row before? Now that's stressful."

If I'm a betting man, I'm on his side, without the homer glasses.

He's got that year, he isn't coming in not knowing quite what to expect.

And he's not a superstar, but a very sound and solid player.

I think he'll just keep on keepin' on.

Hope I'm right...

Archived