Western Conference Playoffs

conundrumed

8 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Obviously I hope they are a lottery team by 2026... But they still got enough star power to be a playoff team for two more years.  Eichel, Theodore, and decent goaltending... But looks doubtful they will be legit Cup contenders going forward.  Team is getting seriously old.

I think there is a slightly better chance of the 1st in 2026 being better than say 2025.

They have some really good G's.

Gonna lose a few players this summer.

16 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Obviously I hope they are a lottery team by 2026... But they still got enough star power to be a playoff team for two more years.  Eichel, Theodore, and decent goaltending... But looks doubtful they will be legit Cup contenders going forward.  Team is getting seriously old.

Maybe it's unlikely, but I wouldn't rule out VGK declining by 2026.

They've traded a ton of futures and prospects. There's not many, if any high end prospects coming up the pipeline.

Is Adin Hill a #1 goalie? Or is he a guy that got hot for 16 games at the best time possible? Can argue that he workload for goalies has changed leaguewide, but he's never played more than 35 games in a season.

They look like they're gonna lose one, if not both of Marchessault and Stephenson. They're a year away from Theodore being up. He is better than Hanifin, he should get more than 7.3. A Theodore extension kicks in at age 30 though. Does VGK walk away?

Stone is heading into his age 32 season as a walking LTIR guy. Heart and soul of that team, but who knows how much longer until he's permanently on LTI. Pietrangelo is 35 next season.

I don't believe the 2026 pick is going to be top 5 by any means, but a top half of the first round wouldn't surprise me. The Golden Knights have built their team on credit card and I think the bill will come due. A 14th overall (or so) pick is a decent tradeoff for having to wait two years for it.

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Maybe it's unlikely, but I wouldn't rule out VGK declining by 2026.

They've traded a ton of futures and prospects. There's not many, if any high end prospects coming up the pipeline.

Is Adin Hill a #1 goalie? Or is he a guy that got hot for 16 games at the best time possible? Can argue that he workload for goalies has changed leaguewide, but he's never played more than 35 games in a season.

They look like they're gonna lose one, if not both of Marchessault and Stephenson. They're a year away from Theodore being up. He is better than Hanifin, he should get more than 7.3. A Theodore extension kicks in at age 30 though. Does VGK walk away?

Stone is heading into his age 32 season as a walking LTIR guy. Heart and soul of that team, but who knows how much longer until he's permanently on LTI. Pietrangelo is 35 next season.

I don't believe the 2026 pick is going to be top 5 by any means, but a top half of the first round wouldn't surprise me. The Golden Knights have built their team on credit card and I think the bill will come due. A 14th overall (or so) pick is a decent tradeoff for having to wait two years for it.

Trues, it depends how fast they decline due to age.  Their core will be 30-33 (sounds like the Flames current situation).  I agree I don't think it's a bottom 5 team... but could be 8/9/10 in the Conference and borderline missing the playoffs type of thing.

12 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I think they've got 1 more year. They played very well against Dallas and I think had they had been a bit more healthy they likely win that series. Health is going to be the biggest question for them. I think they are talented enough to continue to be a playoff team but their age is leading to a lot of ongoing injuries. Hard to see them competing for cups in that state. 

Dal - Col should be a heck of a series. COL got some questions marks in net but out front they were the most impressive team for me in round 1. Playing some high level hockey right now. I still think Dallas will slow them down and ultimately take the series but I think it's going to be close. 

I've under estimated the Canucks all year, and while I think they will give the OIlers a handful it's really hard for me to see them winning the series. I think they are very capable of slowing down the Oilers and keeping games close but then it comes down to can they put enough pressure on the OIlers D and Skinner to expose that? Can they keep McDavid/Draisaitl and the PP quiet for a entire series? and if alll that fails can their goalie steal at least 1 game? I think they need Yes to all 3 of those to win and that's a lot. With Demko I think he could steal them a game or 2 and that would make it more of a toss up but right now I think the Oilers move on. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I think they've got 1 more year. They played very well against Dallas and I think had they had been a bit more healthy they likely win that series. Health is going to be the biggest question for them. I think they are talented enough to continue to be a playoff team but their age is leading to a lot of ongoing injuries. Hard to see them competing for cups in that state. 

Dal - Col should be a heck of a series. COL got some questions marks in net but out front they were the most impressive team for me in round 1. Playing some high level hockey right now. I still think Dallas will slow them down and ultimately take the series but I think it's going to be close. 

I've under estimated the Canucks all year, and while I think they will give the OIlers a handful it's really hard for me to see them winning the series. I think they are very capable of slowing down the Oilers and keeping games close but then it comes down to can they put enough pressure on the OIlers D and Skinner to expose that? Can they keep McDavid/Draisaitl and the PP quiet for an entire series? and if alll that fails can their goalie steal at least 1 game? I think they need Yes to all 3 of those to win and that's a lot. With Demko I think he could steal them a game or 2 and that would make it more of a toss up but right now I think the Oilers move on. 

Question: What part of the Canucks manhandled the Oilers all season are you discounting  to start at the Oilers are pretty much a shoe-in to move on?  I get it that regular season is different than the playoffs, but mostly differences that favour the Canucks(more rugged, less space, more D-focused…)?

29 minutes ago, cberg said:

Question: What part of the Canucks manhandled the Oilers all season are you discounting  to start at the Oilers are pretty much a shoe-in to move on?  I get it that regular season is different than the playoffs, but mostly differences that favour the Canucks(more rugged, less space, more D-focused…)?

I wouldn't say discounting but rather looking at current more than past. It's a factor but it should be pointed out that 3 of those wins came early in the season when Woodcroft was the coach and the last one came when McDavid didn't play. 

Doesn't' feel super relevant to me other than i do think the Canucks can keep the games close which is why while yes I expect the Oilers to win I don't think it's going to be easy. Think it will go 6 or 7 games. 

54 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I wouldn't say discounting but rather looking at current more than past. It's a factor but it should be pointed out that 3 of those wins came early in the season when Woodcroft was the coach and the last one came when McDavid didn't play. 

Doesn't' feel super relevant to me other than i do think the Canucks can keep the games close which is why while yes I expect the Oilers to win I don't think it's going to be easy. Think it will go 6 or 7 games. 

Well as they say, they play the games on the ice,  we’ll see soon.  I just think it humorous how virtually everyone jumps on the Oilers bandwagon after they have a few good games.  

50 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

It depends on whether the Oilers continue to get Regular Season Reffing or if they start to move toward Playoff Reffing. 

I get the calls and the inconsistencies, a problem I frankly don't see ever going away.  One thing worth pointing out is the Kings were 2nd in the league in the regular season on the PK, Vancouver was on the other end as they were at the middle.  But also the Kings PP was dreadful in round 1, and why I hate using round 1 as a measuring stick because I don't know if the Kings being awful was their own doing or if it was part due to the Oilers being good, I really don't know, I do remember being at the game at the end of March where the Flames (who were playing pretty awful themselves) outplayed them badly.  Besides the Caps and Isles the Kings were easily the 3rd worst team in the playoffs IMO.  My heart says the Canucks because I want the upgraded pick, but my guy says the Oilers.

2 hours ago, cberg said:

Well as they say, they play the games on the ice,  we’ll see soon.  I just think it humorous how virtually everyone jumps on the Oilers bandwagon after they have a few good games.  

They are the number one team in the NHL since the changed coaches. 

I hate the Oilers and will be actively rooting against them but don't think pointing out that they have some elements of a good team means i'm jumping on the bandwagon. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, cross16 said:

They are the number one team in the NHL since the changed coaches. 

I hate the Oilers and will be actively rooting against them but don't think pointing out that they have some elements of a good team means i'm jumping on the bandwagon. 

If you include their long win streak, yes.  If not below average.  Obviously I guess it depends on what team shows up.  

18 hours ago, cberg said:

If you include their long win streak, yes.  If not below average.  Obviously I guess it depends on what team shows up.  

Bottom line is if you stay out of the penalty box the Greasers are just a "ordinary" team with one solid line.

Go into penalty mode your basically done, the Oilers are one of (or the most)  deadliest powerplay in todays NHL.  if they "Canucks" win it will be well deserved but my gut says Oilers come out on top. Go Canucks!,

https://www.covers.com/sport/hockey/nhl/statistics/team-powerplay/2023-2024

I still think Dallas is right there and it will be a good series but boy oh boy is Colorado just humming right now. They might look better now then they did in their cup run. 

If Georgiev can give them even average goaltending it's going to be very tough to beat them playing like this. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I still think Dallas is right there and it will be a good series but boy oh boy is Colorado just humming right now. They might look better now then they did in their cup run. 

If Georgiev can give them even average goaltending it's going to be very tough to beat them playing like this. 

I so want a Rantanen.

MacKinnon and Makar are too pipe-dream, so I'll take a Rantanen with a side of popcorn, please.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I so want a Rantanen.

MacKinnon and Makar are too pipe-dream, so I'll take a Rantanen with a side of popcorn, please.

i think it's why they went Honzek last year. Hope it's the right choice. Tough to call right now. 

id love a Rantanen. I guess who wouldn't? Haha

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

or...if they have luck with Justus Annunen.

In which case, done deal.

I think they're the team I'm cheering for now.   If we can't take the cup to Calgary at least we can give it to a Calgarian.

I was told Edmonton was going to cruise.

Thats a really bad loss for Edmonton.

Silovs posts .750 and gets the win. What is Edmonton gonna do if they can’t shoot 25% in game 2?

Blowing the 4-1 lead and then being essentially lifeless for the final 25 mins of the game isn’t a good look for EDM

• Like 3

I remember a time when things were done differently.  The 89 Flames did it right actually.

None of this star players doing 82 games thing.   They'd take a few nights off at the end of the season and get rested up, knowing what mattered was ahead.

Now, you see these Draisaitl's and Matthew's just driven (by whom?) to win all these regular season accolades and come playoff time they're just...done.   

Weird.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

I remember a time when things were done differently.  The 89 Flames did it right actually.

None of this star players doing 82 games thing.   They'd take a few nights off at the end of the season and get rested up, knowing what mattered was ahead.

Now, you see these Draisaitl's and Matthew's just driven (by whom?) to win all these regular season accolades and come playoff time they're just...done.   

Weird.

Management already knows ahead of time they are going nowhere, so might as well unleash the players for individual awards?  

• Like 1

If Dallas loses tonight I’m saying it is game over.  Colorado is flying right now, and it will be extremely difficult to win 4/5.

Also, Vancouver, what a comeback!  With the way that the Oilers lost it, ie way ahead, in full control then the bottom drops out I’m thinking the loss will be especially devastating.  I expect every game will be tight, but VCR definitely has confidence to win.