Western Conference Playoffs

conundrumed

7fb59bc1143faebca08fce9eab21fdc6.png

*My same asterisk note goes for this thread.*

I'm rolling with all the home teams here. Maybe Nashville can give Van a good run. That said, only Dallas, Van and Edmonton haven't been wildly inconsistent in the back half of this season, though Nashville is almost with that group. But they sputtered a bit after the wild ride of points in, what, 18 in a row?

West                                                          

Dallas in 6                                         

Colorado in 7                                    

Vancouver in 5                                  

L.A. in 7                                              

I would say the safe picks are DAL, COL, VAN.  EDM is going into the playoffs with (another) rookie coach.  I think this year's Kings have a better goalie tandem than the last two versions of them.   If they can frustrate the Oilers top line, it comes down to how well EDM can defend.  Skinner's SA% dropped but his GAA also dropped.  Less goals scored but more goals on less shots.  Hmm.  In previous playoffs, LA has lost a pivotal game on one or two plays.

With that:

DAL in 5

COL in 6

VAN in 5

LA in 6

1 hour ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

My pool picks and the Flames draft implications have me hoping for the Nucks and Knights to come out of the west but I'll openly be rooting for the local guys just as a **** you to anyone who has teams like the Jets, Flames, Sens on their no trade lists.

/no I'm not bitter.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone in Canada not cheering if the Jets....went....all....the....way!!!

I know my crowd wants them to. Be them Bruins, Leafs, Wings, TBay or MTL fans.

*note: TBay fans here are a fair few. Not bandwagoners. Because of Stamkos. As much about character as it is the player. He's a legend in this town. If he were drafted by ARI, they'd all be hardcore ARI fans. He's had quite an impact on a lot of people. I'd say, "left", but he didn't just go to the NHL and leave it all behind. Dude is magnanimous in spades. Or else he'd have, pulled a Tavares. lol

Nobody, but nobody, here, is cheering against the Jets to win the west.

53 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I always cheer against EDM and VAN.  That's all that matters at this point.

Speaking of being hard-pressed to find a Cdn fan outside of other teams' hometown fans not cheering for the Jets. This is opposite. SNET and TSN cheer the Oilers though. The disconnect between the sports networks and its nation's fans is fascinating.

I was really hoping Vegas would play the Oilers so they could hopefully both knock them out and get the Flames an upgraded pick. 

Not optimistic either of the Flames picks are gonna get upgraded. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

I was really hoping Vegas would play the Oilers so they could hopefully both knock them out and get the Flames an upgraded pick. 

Not optimistic either of the Flames picks are gonna get upgraded. 

Without question. This morning checking the scores was a giant, "you've got to be kidding me". Waydago Vegas. I may have sworn a bit more than that. Crushed by the Ducks...just wow.

When my dad was alive, he was hardcore Leafs. So when they Purged the Flames of players and turned to instant playoff contender status, I cheered them. As much as I hated the deal, that's on the Flames and not the Leafs... so the ex Flames I still liked and cheered for, like I did with Niewy...

Roberts, etc.

I guess I'd still not mind if they went a few rounds or all the way, just be like, here's to you Pop!

I used to be everyone but Canucks or Oilers. Now I don't seem to care. Although, I hate their fans mostly. So it's more so they don't get to gloat and rub it in my face. I was the only game 7 Flames fan in '94 in a room full of 'Nucks fans... yuck. I felt like the way Steve Bartman looked sitting in the stands after interfering with the pop foul ball... only, the Flames didn't have an extra inning to make up for it.

Dallas in 7

Avs in 6

Canucks in 6

Oilers in 7

Hate the Oil, but LA still isn't deep enough in Net and if the goalie can pull it out. They've been so inconsistent as a team. 
I think the Canucks added the right kind of depth in the summer, what the Flames needed to do.

Avs, not a believer in Jets. Don't like Toffoli or Monahan. 
Dallas is deep. Depends on VGK stars coming back healthy enough.

4 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Dallas in 7

Avs in 6

Canucks in 6

Oilers in 7

Hate the Oil, but LA still isn't deep enough in Net and if the goalie can pull it out. They've been so inconsistent as a team. 
I think the Canucks added the right kind of depth in the summer, what the Flames needed to do.

Avs, not a believer in Jets. Don't like Toffoli or Monahan. 
Dallas is deep. Depends on VGK stars coming back healthy enough.

They've probably been healthy the whole time tbh.. lol

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Dude??

i didn't get the memo. lol.

To me he was just a shot. I didn't get the love fans had for him. He didn't seem as special as some made him out to be. 

also because he played injured so much i feel Bennett could have jumped up and we would have had to play him, and I felt Benny with Johnny would get a few goals. 

Monny wasn't the player to build around in my eyes and we were stuck with him. Solid #2 and low #1... I also felt we rushed him. 

i get it, 21 as a rookie. Maybe the year after he gets 30 as a rookie but developed a defensive game and worked on his stride

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

i didn't get the memo. lol.

To me he was just a shot. I didn't get the love fans had for him. He didn't seem as special as some made him out to be. 

also because he played injured so much i feel Bennett could have jumped up and we would have had to play him, and I felt Benny with Johnny would get a few goals. 

Monny wasn't the player to build around in my eyes and we were stuck with him. Solid #2 and low #1... I also felt we rushed him. 

i get it, 21 as a rookie. Maybe the year after he gets 30 as a rookie but developed a defensive game and worked on his stride

55% at the dot. When we needed a PP F/O win, it was him. The Jets hottest line rn is Ehlers-Mony-Toffoli. Just sayin'.

It's funny him and Scheifele are on the same team. In the O, I thought Mony was quite comparable to Scheifele.

4 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

55% at the dot. When we needed a PP F/O win, it was him. The Jets hottest line rn is Ehlers-Mony-Toffoli. Just sayin'.

It's funny him and Scheifele are on the same team. In the O, I thought Mony was quite comparable to Scheifele.

possible the fact  he and Johnny being somewhat a defensive liability together played a part of my bias... And they decided not to try Tkachuk with them as he was doing ok with Backlund. Benny was a mess. 

I'm not saying he was terrible at everything.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jjgallow said:

just throwing those complements around, love it

The mishandling is mind-boggling. Apparently, the team medical staff is helpless to doing full assessments on players. The player has to point out that he can barely walk or tie his skates, because no one can see it. So you give up a 1st rder to lose a guy that somehow (ineptitude) isn't on LTIR.

So your 30g, 40a center is now someone else's problem. Until he gets back to normal and puts up 26g/33a in his first healthy season in years. Then he's not a problem anymore.

Us: We can't do anything if he doesn't tell us.

Him: I could barely tie my skates. I had a hard time getting upright again after taking a faceoff.

Us: If only he had told us.

Words just can't describe that level of incompetence. Add the expectation that we're supposed to believe the incompetent pulling out the, "we didn't know" card. A typical card that incompetence likes to play. "My eyes were broken during that timeline". lol

What's the ol' saying, "we don't see things as they are, we see things as we are".

• Like 2

Oilers in 5.

LA has had leads in the past two series and couldn’t hold them. 2022 was their best chance, they had the 3-2 series lead and they got really solid goaltending from Quick. I don’t trust Rittich and Talbot at all.

Avs in 7

This one comes down to goaltending. Winnipeg probably needs .920 from Hellebuyck. Colorado can probably win it with .900. I don’t trust Georgiev, but I think the star power of Colorado wins out.

Stars in 6

Really exciting matchup here, best in the West gets rewarded with the Champs. Vegas has been really average since the hot start and I’m not sure Adin Hill has another Cinderella run in him.

Preds in 6

Too much inexperience on VAN. Only playoffs they’ve had is the bubble. They remind me of the 2019 Flames a little bit. Big regular season, how do they handle being a top seed? Nashville is as hot as anyone. They got an elite C, D and G