Western Conference Playoffs

conundrumed

I know i'm not supposed to but I feel for the Canucks. That's a tough, tough injury to get now after the season they've had. I wasn't confident they were going to win the series with Demko but I really don't think they have much of a chance with out him. He's very key to their success. 

Caught a bit of the Avs/Jets game and boy that is fun. What great hockey, what pace. It may be hard to replicate, given it appears the Avs likely have 2 hall of fame players in their lineup, but I wish the Flames would build in the Avs image. Their speed, creativity and fluidness to their game is the best to watch in the NHL so as a fan I would love to see that replicated here. 

Avs feel like a goalie away though. Georgiev was better last night for sure but still not great. Avs don't have a ton of cap space so you have to wonder how attractive Markstrom would look to them with salary retained or if the Flames took Georgiev back. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

I know i'm not supposed to but I feel for the Canucks. That's a tough, tough injury to get now after the season they've had. I wasn't confident they were going to win the series with Demko but I really don't think they have much of a chance with out him. He's very key to their success. 

Canucks actually had several chances to win yesterday's game without Demko but they couldn't finish.  Beat themselves.

But ya, Demko to Desmith is a huge step down, much like Markstrom to Vladar.  Week-to-week may as well mean season ending injury.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Caught a bit of the Avs/Jets game and boy that is fun. What great hockey, what pace. It may be hard to replicate, given it appears the Avs likely have 2 hall of fame players in their lineup, but I wish the Flames would build in the Avs image. Their speed, creativity and fluidness to their game is the best to watch in the NHL so as a fan I would love to see that replicated here. 

Like you said, two hall of famers.  Flames need to draft those first.  Buium and Parekh have the best chance to succeed playing that style of hockey.  After that, we need to tankasaurus next season (or two/three) to draft a #1 Center.  Be patient with this retool.  After we have the players, then we can play the Avs style successfully.

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

Their speed, creativity and fluidness to their game is the best to watch

Their turnaround time on retrievals and turnovers is unreal to watch. That's gotta leave defenders breathless. Clear your zone and the next wave is coming, not now...RIGHT now. Gotta constantly stand on your toes and forget that you have heels.

I'm hoping Bowness can strategize their way through the Avs. Tough ask.

Is Makar still improving at 25? lol

I'm not shy to say that we're witnessing the best NHL dman ever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Canucks actually had several chances to win yesterday's game without Demko but they couldn't finish.  Beat themselves.

But ya, Demko to Desmith is a huge step down, much like Markstrom to Vladar.  Week-to-week may as well mean season ending injury.

Like you said, two hall of famers.  Flames need to draft those first.  Buium and Parekh have the best chance to succeed playing that style of hockey.  After that, we need to tankasaurus next season (or two/three) to draft a #1 Center.  Be patient with this retool.  After we have the players, then we can play the Avs style successfully.

Yes but as usual it sounds easy but you could tank for 10 years and never get players like Mackinnon and/or Makar that's all I would point out. 

Just saying the Avs style of play is not easy to replicate no matter what talent level you have. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Yes but as usual it sounds easy but you could tank for 10 years and never get players like Mackinnon and/or Makar that's all I would point out. 

Just saying the Avs style of play is not easy to replicate no matter what talent level you have. 

We only have enough talent to play Sutter defensive grindy style.  So if it takes 10 years, then whatever it takes.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Are you actually a Flames fan? /s

I am beginning to wonder if I am. Wondering if the game is passing me by. 

It is hard to keep to a vision because trends change after just a few seasons. 

Flames seem to traditionally be a "put on your workboots" team. I hope there is a shift to a team that has more movement. Watching a PP stand around there is no wonder it was bad for awhile there. But it is an example of those things. 

45 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Willing to invest in a 10 year rebuild is no longer considered a fan of a team?  

Your time or money?  Your time means very little to anyone, if I know they are heading for 10 years feel free to take on

my financial investment in the team.

38 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Your time or money?  Your time means very little to anyone, if I know they are heading for 10 years feel free to take on

my financial investment in the team.

Both.  I enjoy the journey as much as the destination.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Willing to invest in a 10 year rebuild is no longer considered a fan of a team?  

Oh gawd, here we go...

I clearly indicated sarcasm.

Tell me about real fans, in case I missed that nonsense awhile back. I live in Ontario. We have overseas fans.

I'm sure we need to be divisive on what a fan is again. /s

24 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Oh gawd, here we go...

I clearly indicated sarcasm.

Tell me about real fans, in case I missed that nonsense awhile back. I live in Ontario. We have overseas fans.

I'm sure we need to be divisive on what a fan is again. /s

200w (1).gif

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

200w (1).gif

/s = sarcasm

So, to review, /s means sarcasm.

e.g. "I don't mind if it takes 10 years". Sarcastic response: "That sounds like an awesome plan, we're only the careers of our current prospects away!!".

Very surprised by Dallas. Not just the 2-0 but the fact they’ve looked slow and terrible

good on Vegas and give them credit but for a team that looked well built going in has sure disappointed 

7 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Very surprised by Dallas. Not just the 2-0 but the fact they’ve looked slow and terrible

good on Vegas and give them credit but for a team that looked well built going in has sure disappointed 

Yeah, Vegas come together just at the right time.  Dallas has surprised, I felt they would have been much stronger.

10 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

What a collapse by Nashville.

Bit of a bummer of a 1st round. VGK/DAL and EDM/LA are the only series not at 3-1 (yet).

Pretty much the same in the East.  Well enough, get rid of the pretenders so the big boys can battle it out.  Thought Dallas would do better, we’ll see.  

Lindholme keys the comeback and wins it in overtime.  Trades seem to be working out so far.

40 minutes ago, cberg said:

Pretty much the same in the East.  Well enough, get rid of the pretenders so the big boys can battle it out.  Thought Dallas would do better, we’ll see.  

Lindholme keys the comeback and wins it in overtime.  Trades seem to be working out so far.

5/8 series are at 3-1. That's not including the WSH/NY series, which may end tonight. Odd playoffs so far. But it's also why I can't see why any people would support expanding the playoffs. The bubble teams that get in typically aren't very good. Vegas is the lone exception this year.

I felt that VAN needed a playoff run to make the trade palatable. The regular season didn't work for Lindholm. Tonight goes a long way in making it feel worthwhile for VAN. I actually wouldn't mind seeing VAN and EDM meet.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

5/8 series are at 3-1. That's not including the WSH/NY series, which may end tonight. Odd playoffs so far. But it's also why I can't see why any people would support expanding the playoffs. The bubble teams that get in typically aren't very good. Vegas is the lone exception this year.

I felt that VAN needed a playoff run to make the trade palatable. The regular season didn't work for Lindholm. Tonight goes a long way in making it feel worthwhile for VAN. I actually wouldn't mind seeing VAN and EDM meet.

I don't support expanding playoffs because I think play in rounds are stupid, but from a competitive balance standpoint I think the NHL makes far more sense than the NBA or even the NFL expansion.  We aren't far removed from a season where all 4 wild card teams knocked out the 4 division winners (we should remember that year), we also aren't far removed from a year where the record setting Bruins and defending champs were beat by wildcards.  Round 1 is usually the most entertaining round, there is a drop this year, it was just a bad year for the East this year and why I hate the point system Detroit 41 wins and out, Washington 40 wins and in and the Islanders 39 wins and ahead of Washington, while out West St. Louis with 43 wins is also out.  I couldn't imagine in baseball a 90 win team missing the playoffs over an 85 win team because the 85 win team lost more games in extra innings. 

I think the competitive balance does exist to support expansion, I just prefer having a little more drama to end the season as even if expansion existed this year there would've been no drama the last few weeks with the Flames and Kraken well below the Wild at 10th