Western Conference Playoffs

conundrumed

7 hours ago, conundrumed said:

The mishandling is mind-boggling. Apparently, the team medical staff is helpless to doing full assessments on players. The player has to point out that he can barely walk or tie his skates, because no one can see it. So you give up a 1st rder to lose a guy that somehow (ineptitude) isn't on LTIR.

So your 30g, 40a center is now someone else's problem. Until he gets back to normal and puts up 26g/33a in his first healthy season in years. Then he's not a problem anymore.

Us: We can't do anything if he doesn't tell us.

Him: I could barely tie my skates. I had a hard time getting upright again after taking a faceoff.

Us: If only he had told us.

Words just can't describe that level of incompetence. Add the expectation that we're supposed to believe the incompetent pulling out the, "we didn't know" card. A typical card that incompetence likes to play. "My eyes were broken during that timeline". lol

What's the ol' saying, "we don't see things as they are, we see things as we are".

we could see it on TV. We could see it from our chair, and then you hear Johnny tell us all of that stuff... 

so it's probably more about that than him in general.

6 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Oilers in 5.

LA has had leads in the past two series and couldn’t hold them. 2022 was their best chance, they had the 3-2 series lead and they got really solid goaltending from Quick. I don’t trust Rittich and Talbot at all.

Avs in 7

This one comes down to goaltending. Winnipeg probably needs .920 from Hellebuyck. Colorado can probably win it with .900. I don’t trust Georgiev, but I think the star power of Colorado wins out.

Stars in 6

Really exciting matchup here, best in the West gets rewarded with the Champs. Vegas has been really average since the hot start and I’m not sure Adin Hill has another Cinderella run in him.

Preds in 6

Too much inexperience on VAN. Only playoffs they’ve had is the bubble. They remind me of the 2019 Flames a little bit. Big regular season, how do they handle being a top seed? Nashville is as hot as anyone. They got an elite C, D and G

i don't believe in you're a playoff team with experience. Experience can matter, but i think some players are born for the playoffs and some just aren't. Like the Leafs have a ton of experience but never go deeper. Granted they're playing teams that make the finals sometimes, but... 

49 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

i don't believe in you're a playoff team with experience. Experience can matter, but i think some players are born for the playoffs and some just aren't. Like the Leafs have a ton of experience but never go deeper. Granted they're playing teams that make the finals sometimes, but... 

How many teams make the playoffs and go directly to the Cup though? 

It usually takes some pain until you finally break through. It’s hard to win at this time of the year. Every little detail matters.

2018 Vegas is one example I can think of, but most of the time it takes multiple trips to

the playoffs to break through.

23 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

How many teams make the playoffs and go directly to the Cup though? 

It usually takes some pain until you finally break through. It’s hard to win at this time of the year. Every little detail matters.

2018 Vegas is one example I can think of, but most of the time it takes multiple trips to

the playoffs to break through.

i think there are young teams that haven't reached prime ability. I guess you can call that playoff experience. 

I also wonder, Vegas has done well at getting deeper into the playoffs than many lately, when they have made the playoffs... for me, even the most playoff experience can lose because it's such a hard task to win a cup. 

i understand what you're saying though. And just think, some teams play to lose while others play to win. Maybe it is circumstance or coach philosophy. 

we kept saying the Flames had bad playoff experience, yet Johnny and Monny made the playoffs early in their career. And they needed more playoff experience but looked similar every year.

I just think, either a player plays to win or they play tentatively and lose. The Leafs have plenty experience but play to lose. 

Only one team wins, I think a team can have a good playoffs and still lose in the first round in heartbreak, it doesn't mean they're not a playoff team, just they played a really good team and pushed a really good team to their limit.

11 hours ago, robrob74 said:

i think there are young teams that haven't reached prime ability. I guess you can call that playoff experience. 

I also wonder, Vegas has done well at getting deeper into the playoffs than many lately, when they have made the playoffs... for me, even the most playoff experience can lose because it's such a hard task to win a cup. 

i understand what you're saying though. And just think, some teams play to lose while others play to win. Maybe it is circumstance or coach philosophy. 

we kept saying the Flames had bad playoff experience, yet Johnny and Monny made the playoffs early in their career. And they needed more playoff experience but looked similar every year.

I just think, either a player plays to win or they play tentatively and lose. The Leafs have plenty experience but play to lose. 

Only one team wins, I think a team can have a good playoffs and still lose in the first round in heartbreak, it doesn't mean they're not a playoff team, just they played a really good team and pushed a really good team to their limit.

It's all about depth for me.

Bottom 6 is where the real chess match lives. Are they dominating or being dominated? Driving momentum and drawing penalties, the opposite, or a saw-off?

As much as people will say, "just a 4th liner", the playoffs remove that. They WILL get caught out there with unfavourable matchups. Can they handle it, or are they getting owned?

Playoffs are always the same to me. Look at our own Stephane Yelle. I thought he was our MVP in 04 (and Kipper, of course). He was massively driving the bus.

Every team has great offensive players. It's the bottom 6 that is either creating good opportunities for them, or not. Which end is the faceoff in? Are you going on the PP or PK. Chipping in the odd goal or giving it up? The bottom 6 really drives the dynamic of the overall game. They'll put your stars in favourable positions, or unfavourable positions.

If your bottom 6 isn't rock solid, you're not going far in the playoff season. They're the wind in your sails, or sucking the life out of you. Even the best technicians aren't allowed onsite without their workboots. I love analogies. lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Bottom 6 is where the real chess match lives. Are they dominating or being dominated? Driving momentum and drawing penalties, the opposite, or a saw-off?

As much as people will say, "just a 4th liner", the playoffs remove that. They WILL get caught out there with unfavourable matchups. Can they handle it, or are they getting owned?

Playoffs are always the same to me. Look at our own Stephane Yelle. I thought he was our MVP in 04 (and Kipper, of course). He was massively driving the bus.

Every team has great offensive players. It's the bottom 6 that is either creating good opportunities for them, or not. Which end is the faceoff in? Are you going on the PP or PK. Chipping in the odd goal or giving it up? The bottom 6 really drives the dynamic of the overall game. They'll put your stars in favourable positions, or unfavourable positions.

If your bottom 6 isn't rock solid, you're not going far in the playoff season. They're the wind in your sails, or sucking the life out of you. Even the best technicians aren't allowed onsite without their workboots. I love analogies. lol

💯... Washington likely has no cup without DSP..and there is a reason Pat Maroon still has a job.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

definitely! It's why I loved Hathaway and we should have forked out the little extra, if that was why he left? He might have wanted closer to home anyway, but loved that guy. He was doing little things, creating in the way you're describing, causing penalties or leaving play in a good way.

we look at the Flames, when the 4th line was getting 3-6 minutes, what does that say about the depth? The 4th isn't easy to fill with players that push a team over the jump.

We are the same...

my signing for '04 was Ville Nieminen. I think pests help too. Although, Simon and Gelinas were big too. 

but I agree, Johnny got his points, Monny goals too, decent numbers, but a one or two line team can get stopped. 

it's also why I'm afraid the Canucks can do some damage, I think a few signings this last summer put them where they're at.

• Like 1

It's nuts that the Avalanche have spent two years of their window with Georgiev as their starter.

They lost last year to the Kraken of all teams. 

7 on 22 shots on Georgiev.

Kuemper and Francouz got almost zero credit for 2022. But they made key saves. 

4 minutes ago, pcs said:

Jeez, 7-6 is kinda ridiculous for a playoff opener. Especially with Hellebuyck in one of the nets.

We had the vezina runner up in net when we opened the series against Edmonton 9-6 in 2022

I think LA is being really overlooked. I didn't like them last night, but it's only game one. They've been right there with the Oilers the past two years. Lead 3-2 in 2022, in 2023 they were an OT goal away from a 3-1 lead.

VAN is in trouble without Demko. I don't think DeSmith can steal a game.

I've seen a lot of "Edmonton has a cakewalk to the conference final". That is definitively not true. The past two goalies to eliminate the Oilers have been backups.

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think LA is being really overlooked. I didn't like them last night, but it's only game one. They've been right there with the Oilers the past two years. Lead 3-2 in 2022, in 2023 they were an OT goal away from a 3-1 lead.

VAN is in trouble without Demko. I don't think DeSmith can steal a game.

I've seen a lot of "Edmonton has a cakewalk to the conference final". That is definitively not true. The past two goalies to eliminate the Oilers have been backups.

I would be shocked if they get past the Kings.   Even after that 1st game.

I would be double shocked if they succeeded in the 2nd round.

Even in that first game... you just don't succeed in the playoffs letting 4 goals fly by you.   

4 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I would be shocked if they get past the Kings.   Even after that 1st game.

I would be double shocked if they succeeded in the 2nd round.

Even in that first game... you just don't succeed in the playoffs letting 4 goals fly by you.   

They also got swept by VAN in the season series.

That doesn't mean much, but they did just play like 10 days ago. Stakes were high, the division was up for grabs. DeSmith got the W.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

There's that regular season "win now" mode kicking in.   Hopefully he fully recovers.    They're certainly not the only team in this boat.

Usually by round 3, half the teams are on backup goalies.

19 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

so with our recent trades should I be cheering for Canucks & Stars?

Anyone else we got conditional picks for?

Vegas upgrade to next year's 2nd from this year's 3rd if they win a rd. So basically trading 2, likely 85-95ish, 3rd rd picks for Vegas' 2025 2nd rd pick. Then you hope Vegas sucks next year (plus the year after 1st) to keep that 2nd at <50.