Western Conference Playoffs

conundrumed

Two wins in ten playoff games for Winnipeg in the past two seasons. Sure, tough matchups, but not good enough.

They’re pretty committed to that core too. A core that’s been largely underwhelming, aside from 2018.

That’s what the Flames could have been if they extended everyone. Think they dodged a bullet.

55 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Two wins in ten playoff games for Winnipeg in the past two seasons. Sure, tough matchups, but not good enough.

They’re pretty committed to that core too. A core that’s been largely underwhelming, aside from 2018.

That’s what the Flames could have been if they extended everyone. Think they dodged a bullet.

Well, on one hand, I know what you are saying because if Gaudreau and Tkachuk stayed for big money, then I don't feel that's enough firepower to truly win a Cup.  On the other hand, we spent that money anyways to lock up Huberdeau, Kadri, and Weegar so the Flames dodged a bullet but stepped on a landmine instead. 

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Well, on one hand, I know what you are saying because if Gaudreau and Tkachuk stayed for big money, then I don't feel that's enough firepower to truly win a Cup.  On the other hand, we spent that money anyways to lock up Huberdeau, Kadri, and Weegar so the Flames dodged a bullet but stepped on a landmine instead. 

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

there is also spending assets to compete, trading for Monahan and Toffoli costs a lot. Something the Flames did their last year of those two, Tkachuk and Gaudreau, understanding it was an all-in year. 

I was excited for the bet. I bought in, understanding that was the chance. I should have known better. 

I was also hoping Hubie would have shown better. 

I think Sutter was correct in his assessment of the team, but he also really soured me on the team as well. I get they canned him for it, but I think it went on for too long, the way he treated people and the media. 

I get it's over. But is it? Or did they can him to save face? 

6 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

What is Edmonton gonna do if they play a team that can kill a penalty?

I don’t think you can bank on winning the special teams battle by 15 going forward.

What are they gonna do if they get the embellishment calls against them that they do for.

3 minutes ago, sak22 said:

What are they gonna do if they get the embellishment calls against them that they do for.

That second period was an absolute circus.

They are the better team and deserve to win. I don’t think there was much to choose between the teams in the previous series, big gap this year

12 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

They are the better team and deserve to win. I don’t think there was much to choose between the teams in the previous series, big gap this year

It was an embarrasment to the league.  No goal on the ice, you can't see the puck in his glove but somehow now you can extrapolate that it must be in?  The other calls and non-calls made it pretty obvious that the refs were one sided in their approach.  

If VAN or NSH play them next series, it will be a much different looking series.  VAN plays a much better run and gun game than EDM does.  EDM has one player that does it and the other one stands around.  And VAN has potentially 3 goalies that can stop the Douche Bomb TM.  Perhaps they will ditch the homer coverage with Louie for a much more even call like the one the Flames get.  Millen.  Singh is okay, but a bit too excited for my liking.  Not as much choice this year with all the ESPN coverage they are using.

13 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

LA is going the wrong direction. Going to be a really interesting off season for them. Heat is starting to pick up on Blake and I think for good reason. I'm not surprised Edm made quick work of them.

I hate to say this but with all the goalie injuries Van is facing this is setting up to maybe be the Oilers year. Van impressed me more than I thought so far against the Preds but the Preds offence stinks, Edm's doesn't. 

I think they have a pretty good path to the WCF. Can they beat a Dallas, Vegas or Colorado? I'm skeptical but you never know what happens the deeper we get. 

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

LA is going the wrong direction. Going to be a really interesting off season for them. Heat is starting to pick up on Blake and I think for good reason. I'm not surprised Edm made quick work of them.

Both DAL and LAK did the same models.  Basically, they both leaned on older superstar players to bounce back from the basement quick.

When it goes well, then you get DAL.  When it goes average, then you get LAK.

The King's are going in the wrong direction because Kopitar and Doughty are on their last legs.  It's up to the next group to carry the torch but the gap is too big.  PLD was the wrong guy to commit to.  Kempe is good but not superstar.  LAK also has no goalie.

The Flames are going to try this model per Conroy's words.  Yet, we don't have a Benn/Seguin or Kopitar/Doughty.  This isn't going to end well.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

Both DAL and LAK did the same models.  Basically, they both leaned on older superstar players to bounce back from the basement quick.

The King's are going in the wrong direction because Kopitar and Doughty are on their last legs.  It's up to the next group to carry the torch but the gap is too big.  PLD was the wrong guy to commit to.  Kempe is good but not superstar.  LAK also has no goalie.

The Flames are going to try this model per Conroy's words.  Yet, we don't have a Benn/Seguin or Kopitar/Doughty.  This isn't going to end well.

Well Dallas never hit the basement to start they had a one season blip where they fell to 9th worst and won a lottery to move 6 spots, but it is still a team that hasn't won less than 40 games in a full 82 game season since 2010.  No where near the same issues as LA.   I would also suggest Heiskenen, Robertson, Hintz are larger parts of their turnaround to a contender than Benn, Seguin and Pavelski.  Even when they went to the finals in the bubble Heiskenen was the main reason.

3 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Well Dallas never hit the basement to start they had a one season blip where they fell to 9th worst and won a lottery to move 6 spots, but it is still a team that hasn't won less than 40 games in a full 82 game season since 2010.  No where near the same issues as LA.   I would also suggest Heiskenen, Robertson, Hintz are larger parts of their turnaround to a contender than Benn, Seguin and Pavelski.  Even when they went to the finals in the bubble Heiskenen was the main reason.

Yes given all that, how can Conroy even think about the DAL model?  Blip once? Conroy thinks this is the Flames one blip?

I mentioned the King's because they refused to dump Kopitar and Doughty to do a full rebuild.  They hung onto the undying dream.  LAK drafted pretty high 3 times and came out with Turcotte, Clarke, and Byfield.  Oof, three mega misses.  Then tried to trade and UFA their way to an accelerated retool to be competitive again.  LAK is not close to being serious Cup contender.

56 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

So true about the superstars.  The Flames may do a "sneaky" rebuild depending on how they handle Markstrom and next year's UFAs: Mangiapanne, Kuzmenko, Sharangovich, Duehr, Rooney and Hunt.  Could be another big sell-off year with at minimum 3 big fish in the market.  Out of that group I'd love to re-sign Kuzmenko and Sharangovich and dish the rest, might also be open to Anderson out if the deal was right.  Of course, with increasing Cap and cap space Conroy could bring in some star level players, and let's face it, playoffs were not that far off.  Contending for a SC, sure, on the distant horizon.  I'd prefer the sneaky rebuild and get back to relevance in 2-3 years...

43 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Yes given all that, how can Conroy even think about the DAL model?  Blip once? Conroy thinks this is the Flames one blip?

I mentioned the King's because they refused to dump Kopitar and Doughty to do a full rebuild.  They hung onto the undying dream.  LAK drafted pretty high 3 times and came out with Turcotte, Clarke, and Byfield.  Oof, three mega misses.  Then tried to trade and UFA their way to an accelerated retool to be competitive again.  LAK is not close to being serious Cup contender.

Again what do you expect him to say, "We need full scorched earth rebuild, I will enjoy watching my predecessor try and win a cup while I am working at ESPN". Guy doesn't have a lifetime contract he probably doesn't have the runway you think.  Why can he mention the Dallas model?  Because it changed drastically in 1 draft, I think we need to at least give Conroy that draft before we concede failure.

One thing with the Kings is they have gone 3 years with 3 separate goalie tandems into the playoffs.  Much can be made out of the Oilers PP or McDavid, but all 3 years of first round exists I think quality goaltending for the Kings gets them a couple more wins.  I don't really see comparable yet between them and the Flames, lets see

5 hours ago, sak22 said:

Again what do you expect him to say, "We need full scorched earth rebuild, I will enjoy watching my predecessor try and win a cup while I am working at ESPN". Guy doesn't have a lifetime contract he probably doesn't have the runway you think.  Why can he mention the Dallas model?  Because it changed drastically in 1 draft, I think we need to at least give Conroy that draft before we concede failure.

One thing with the Kings is they have gone 3 years with 3 separate goalie tandems into the playoffs.  Much can be made out of the Oilers PP or McDavid, but all 3 years of first round exists I think quality goaltending for the Kings gets them a couple more wins.  I don't really see comparable yet between them and the Flames, lets see

I know I know, I was just saying though.  He really has nothing else he can say because this team isn't bouncing back that quickly even if he tried to sign UFAs this summer.

18 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I think this is a far too simplistic view of things but should also be pointed out that Colorado and the New York Islanders did the same model too. When that model goes well you get Colorado and when it doesn't you get New York Islanders. 

I'm not optimistic either but with so many unknown variables I don't' understand the value of assuming failure. 

So Oilers vs Canucks second round.

Based on round one, I'm guessing the Oilers take this one in 5 games.  But depends if the Canucks can get Demko back.  NSH outplayed Canucks 55/45 but didn't have the firepower to finish on an AHL goaltender.  Oilers should be able to score at will.

But at the same time, going from Saros to Skinner, Canucks will also have an easier time scoring as well.

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

But at the same time, going from Saros to Skinner, Canucks will also have an easier time scoring as well.

Saros made some crazy good saves. Zadorov was such a good move for them, he has fit in nicely. Lindholm has solidified their PK (possibly neutralize the Oil PP) but has done little else. Could see Van not extending Lindholm. I see Edm dominating this series but really could go either way.

I think Oilers/Canucks will be a tight series.

Special teams won Edmonton the first round. If LA had been average, it goes at least 6. 5 on 5 scoring was pretty close between the Oilers and Kings. It’s skewed a bit as Edmonton scored a pair of “5 on 5” goals immediately as a penalty expired.

Kevin Woodley was on 960 and he pointed out that Skinner had a very high expected sv % in that series. That speaks to the low shot quality from LA. Skinner failed to meet that save percentage as well.

I also think it’s unfair to paint Silovs as just an “AHL goalie”. He’s not quite the same AHL pedigree as Wolf, but a pretty good AHLer. Gave the Wranglers fits in the playoffs last year. Same age as Wolf, this isn’t some journeyman AHLer. I would also point out that Edmonton was eliminated by Colorado’s backup, Francouz in 2022. Adin Hill was the #3 guy in Vegas last year and he knocked them out.

In summary, I would lean Edmonton. If VAN can hold their own in special teams and Pettersson gets going, it could be a long series.

5 hours ago, redfire11 said:

Saros made some crazy good saves. Zadorov was such a good move for them, he has fit in nicely. Lindholm has solidified their PK (possibly neutralize the Oil PP) but has done little else. Could see Van not extending Lindholm. I see Edm dominating this series but really could go either way.

It is amazing to see comments like these, after Oilers dominate and dispatch perhaps the weakest of all the playoff teams, the LAK.  Lest we forget, the Canucks dominated the Oilers during the season, winning all 4 games.  Remember also, these were not goalie duels.  Anyone feeding into the Oilers are great, will crush the Canucks narrative are only feeding the Oilers’ delusions they are a great team.  They are not.  If they can scrap together enough for 4 wins is unlikely, but we shall see…

On 5/1/2024 at 10:03 PM, Thebrewcrew said:

What is Edmonton gonna do if they play a team that can kill a penalty?

I don’t think you can bank on winning the special teams battle by 15 going forward.

Yeah I am amazed they made it past the 1st round but couldn't jump on that bandwagon if i wanted to with the defensive lapses.

Hard to find teams to cheer for.   Would have been cool to see Winnipeg pull off a miracle.   One day.

Might just cheer for Colorado and Makar.   

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Down go the Golden Knights.

Shame.

That owner is so patient. I'm sure losing four of the last five games will go over well.

Obviously I hope they are a lottery team by 2026... But they still got enough star power to be a playoff team for two more years.  Eichel, Theodore, and decent goaltending... But looks doubtful they will be legit Cup contenders going forward.  Team is getting seriously old.

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Obviously I hope they are a lottery team by 2026... But they still got enough star power to be a playoff team for two more years.  Eichel, Theodore, and decent goaltending... But looks doubtful they will be legit Cup contenders going forward.  Team is getting seriously old.

injuries sometimes drop good teams to lotto, and some of those teams, once out, they're checked out.