Eastern Conference Playoffs

conundrumed

6c9e30b21fbf732208104c3f86025860.png

* I'll edit asterisk to asterisk into deletion before the playoffs start. I want to avoid a generic "NHL Playoffs" thread. So it's separated by conference. If it should be in NHL Talk, mods, put it there. If anybody wants to lay it out differently, please, by all means, do. Just don't jam it up all into one, it's too annoying. So I've at least segregated it by conference rather than jam it all up into one big clusterBlockchain.*

I'm going with Tampa, Boston, NYR and Carolina here. But I think the first 2 are a bit of a coin flip and longer series.

Who do you got?

21 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

Coin flip the lot tbh.

But I'll go with

Tampa in 7

Bruins in 7

Rangers in 5

Huricanes in 5

I think of every team, the Isles have really gotten good when push came to shove. They could be a real handful for the Canes.

A lot always comes down to which players are playing through what injury? Things we never know.

Florida needs to put Barkov on Kucherov like glue. That alone might make a difference. Can't give Kucherov any time or space, like, at all.

Like Zetterberg on Toews. Don't let him do anything, and worry about nothing else.

53 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

It doesn't really look like any surprises coming out of this conference.

All higher seeds win out.

I think most agree that the Caps have zero chance, but the rest is a lot dicier. She's a new season.

Tampa in 6

Toronto in 7

Rangers in 5

Canes in 7 (This last one is the one I'm least sure about. The Islanders have proven to be sneaky good in the playoffs in recent memory. Canes are a great team though)

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Looking forward to yet another first round exit for the Leafs

Imagine being a 60yr old hardcore Leafs fan. You raised your kids to be Leafs fans, you bought your grandchildren no end of baby Leafs gear. You've prepared generations of your flesh and blood for a lifetime of failure. lol

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Imagine being a 60yr old hardcore Leafs fan. You raised your kids to be Leafs fans, you bought your grandchildren no end of baby Leafs gear. You've prepared generations of your flesh and blood for a lifetime of failure. lol

the audacity.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I think most agree that the Caps have zero chance, but the rest is a lot dicier. She's a new season.

The president cup curse seems to be real, but it doesn't always mean a 1st round exit.

NYR is tough to beat.

I think FLA wins, but both teams have struggles.

CAR is tough to beat.

BOS seems to always have Leaf's number.

Did Toronto add anyone that can stop a forward?

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Did Toronto add anyone that can stop a forward?

Sounds like Brodie is in the press box for game 1. Samsonov will be their starter.

My bet is they'll be sharpening their, "blame Marner" knives again.

Watch out for Boston's 3rd line if they are pairing Frederic and Geekie together. They're fantastic.

I recall the eyerolls when Seattle selected Geekie from the Canes in the expansion draft. A 67th oa prospect.

Well, Seattle's biggest screw-up was letting him go. Geekie's a fantastic player. He's 25. $2mil per through next year, expires arb-rights RFA. I'd gladly take that kind of action!!

One of many reasons I'm happy we have a healthy amount of picks between 25-90ish. There are always potential gems there. Like him.

Queue the Leaf nation sheer panic and blame machine. TSN already threw out the, "I barely heard Marner's name". Here it comes again. I feel sorry for that guy, and any goalie that signs there. It's not that absurd defence, it can't be that.

Not a Bruins fan but I'll cheer for them in this series. 

Reeves/Domi/Bertuzzi cheapshot artists.

Why Domi does not get 2 for slashing before the game even starts is beyond me?  Regular season and it gets called I hate this 2 different season stuff the refs employ.

Anyways was a good playoff hockey game. 

Ya, I don't think it's that Marner, Matthews or Nylander aren't playoff players...

they've had no depth. 
similar to Edmonton, Do you think McDavid and Draisaitl would have a cup by now had they had an average goalie, some D and a bit more depth?

is it the cost of paying the top too much?

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Ya, I don't think it's that Marner, Matthews or Nylander aren't playoff players...

they've had no depth. 
similar to Edmonton, Do you think McDavid and Draisaitl would have a cup by now had they had an average goalie, some D and a bit more depth?

They need G.  BT needs to get on the phone with Conroy for Markstrom.

3 hours ago, robrob74 said:

they've had no depth. 

I don’t think it’s a case of paying the top too much but you do need to find value.  Tampa for example paid a premium to get guys like Coleman, Goodrow and Hagel while they had low cap hits.  Colorado had Nich and Kadri at great value deals when they won, Vegas had Theodore and Stephenson.  I don’t know what the Leafs have that are great value, Nylander is his last year before he gets a 4 mil boost.  The Oilers have Bouchard now who is still on a low contract, Nuge is a great number now and Hymans production for salary are great.  The problem is the good are offset by bad like Nurse, Ceci and I would put Kane in the bad as well.  Not saying the winners also don’t have bad contracts, just not as many. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I don’t think it’s a case of paying the top too much but you do need to find value.  Tampa for example paid a premium to get guys like Coleman, Goodrow and Hagel while they had low cap hits.  Colorado had Nich and Kadri at great value deals when they won, Vegas had Theodore and Stephenson.  I don’t know what the Leafs have that are great value, Nylander is his last year before he gets a 4 mil boost.  The Oilers have Bouchard now who is still on a low contract, Nuge is a great number now and Hymans production for salary are great.  The problem is the good are offset by bad like Nurse, Ceci and I would put Kane in the bad as well.  Not saying the winners also don’t have bad contracts, just not as many. 

It's also okay to spend a lot at the top if the top was one #1 C, one #1 D, and one #1G.  Spread the elite around.  But spending all money on two C and two RW... then what about D?  and G?   Team is off balance.