Eastern Conference Playoffs

conundrumed

2 hours ago, cberg said:

Maybe rusty?

It is, without question, a thing. I'll go so far as to point out 2 unsuccessful teams:

Ottawa. Had the absolute worst schedule. They were 4-6 games behind a lot of their competition. I'm more than confident to say that screwed their whole season.

I would sum up their season as, "just never really got into a rhythm". I'm voting the schedule did that, they just weren't playing enough competitive games to stay razor sharp. Other teams were.

Detroit. Ran off a 5 game heater up until the all-star break. Looked good for 1st wildcard over Tampa. If my memory serves correct, they didn't play until the following wkend after all-star wkend.

7 game losing streak, 2-10. Made playoff hopes a nightmare.

Layoffs matter.

Florida will snap out of it. Boston's zoned in.

1 hour ago, rocketdoctor said:

Yeah canot understand whats wrong with the Canes.

I think his name is Igor Shesterkin. He's sick and tired of hearing that Vasilevsky is the best goalie in the world.

He's taking matters into his own hands. lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rocketdoctor said:

Yeah canot understand whats wrong with the Canes.  Should not be down 3-0 to the Rags.

With whose left I'll cheer for Boston.

Canes can't seem to get a lead.  So disappointing for them.  Not really cheering for anyone, but wouldn't mind newbie Cup winners, therefore Florida and Vancouver.  Also like Dallas because they seem the poster child for a successful franchise.  Cheering against the Oilers, too much arrogance and why cheer a dysfunctional franchise?

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

I think his name is Igor Shesterkin. He's sick and tired of hearing that Vasilevsky is the best goalie in the world.

I agree. I do think the Canes are still a little too quantity or quality for the playoffs and would probably benefit from some adjustments. But at the end of the day still got to beat Shesterkin and he's on top of his game right now. 

Feel for the Canes though. I do think that is a good hockey team that just cannot seem to catch a break when it comes to the playoffs. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I agree. I do think the Canes are still a little too quantity or quality for the playoffs and would probably benefit from some adjustments. But at the end of the day still got to beat Shesterkin and he's on top of his game right now. 

Feel for the Canes though. I do think that is a good hockey team that just cannot seem to catch a break when it comes to the playoffs. 

Could it the playoff format as well? You have top teams playing each other early. Albeit being the second round good teams will play each other. 1/8 4/5 2/7 3/6. Ultimately 2/3 could be a second round bracket in a fixed bracket system. 

didn't they used to go with the better record adjusted to play the lowest seed in the next round? 

• Like 1

Just now, robrob74 said:

I'd it the playoff format as well? You have top teams playing each other early. Albeit being the second round good teams will play each other. 1/8 4/5 2/7 3/6. Ultimately 2/3 could be a second round bracket in a fixed bracket system. 

didn't they used to go with the better record adjusted to play the lowest seed in the next round? 

Yup and personally I'd go back to that format. 

1 thing with the format with the Hurricanes they would be playing the Panthers with the Panthers having home ice advantage.  To say poor them for having the Rangers in round 2, in the old system they would've had Tampa round 1 instead of the Islanders.  I get the complaints towards the old system, but this round the disparity between Carolina and Florida is 1 point, and Carolina and Boston is 2.   Not a huge difference, so for me its no excuse, you may have needed to go through the Rangers and Panthers to make the finals anyway so why does it matter what order, the Panthers weren't going to be easy pickings for them either.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sak22 said:

1 thing with the format with the Hurricanes they would be playing the Panthers with the Panthers having home ice advantage.  To say poor them for having the Rangers in round 2, in the old system they would've had Tampa round 1 instead of the Islanders.  I get the complaints towards the old system, but this round the disparity between Carolina and Florida is 1 point, and Carolina and Boston is 2.   Not a huge difference, so for me its no excuse, you may have needed to go through the Rangers and Panthers to make the finals anyway so why does it matter what order, the Panthers weren't going to be easy pickings for them either.

Personally I just prefer the old format. I think it set up for better matches later and you got more upsets. 

I wouldn't point at the format as a reason the Canes haven't gotten further. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Personally I just prefer the old format. I think it set up for better matches later and you got more upsets. 

I wouldn't point at the format as a reason the Canes haven't gotten further. 

I tend to agree, just the East this year played out pretty close to how the old one would work, just swap Florida and Carolina's opponents.  The West on the other hand had the 2nd best team play the 4th best and the 5th best play the 7th, and the only one that was a real coin toss of a series was the old that would've existed in the old format Dal/VGK.  If you had 4 strong divisions, sure this format could be great, but every year there seems to be at least 1 division that doesn't hold up against the other in the conference.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Can we just, like, draft all of the Russian goalies this year with your 6th round picks I traded you?

And then bring Khabibulin in as the goaltending coach already.  Open up that wallet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So the Bruins thought Bennett's hit was cheap? Playoff hockey, Marchand looks like he's gonna make a hit on Benny and then Benny insulates the hit but also kind of follows through with a push... I don't see it as egregious though. Anyone else? 

lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

So the Bruins thought Bennett's hit was cheap? Playoff hockey, Marchand looks like he's gonna make a hit on Benny and then Benny insulates the hit but also kind of follows through with a push... I don't see it as egregious though. Anyone else? 

lol

It looked like bringing the arms up high to brace for a hit.  Part of natural instincts. Reactionary.

3 hours ago, robrob74 said:

lol

What they're saying is sucker punch. Bennett's right hand sneaks in for a solid right to the chin. If you watch it in snail time, they have a point. But it's also stretching 1.5 seconds out to 1.5 minutes. lol

However you want to read it, that made Bennett look really crafty to me. Bennett isn't crafty, so I believe that was happenstance.  I used to really like FLA and they gave Lomberg a home. Then Bennett I didn't mind.

But now with both Tkachuk AND Bennett, they have 2 of the greasiest weasels in the league. I'd love to see both of them get annihilated.

Though I still love Barkov and Lomberg.

57 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

What they're saying is sucker punch. Bennett's right hand sneaks in for a solid right to the chin. If you watch it in snail time, they have a point. But it's also stretching 1.5 seconds out to 1.5 minutes. lol

However you want to read it, that made Bennett look really crafty to me. Bennett isn't crafty, so I believe that was happenstance.  I used to really like FLA and they gave Lomberg a home. Then Bennett I didn't mind.

But now with both Tkachuk AND Bennett, they have 2 of the greasiest weasels in the league. I'd love to see both of them get annihilated.

Though I still love Barkov and Lomberg.

but that can also be push. Pushing through looks like a follow through on a punch in slow motion, I've only seen the angle where its side and Bennett's back is to the camera on the hit.

10 hours ago, robrob74 said:

but that can also be push. Pushing through looks like a follow through on a punch in slow motion, I've only seen the angle where its side and Bennett's back is to the camera on the hit.

He definitely got Marchy in the face with his right hand. 100 percent incidental, but you LOVE to see it 💕😆

Boston didn't look good against Toronto either. I'm not surprised that series was a gut punch to the Leafs because they really should have won it. 

I think that current group in Boston is just on fumes. It's been a long run for a lot of those guys, tons of hockey and I think there just not getting that game breaking ability out of them you need in the playoffs. Be interesting to see if they can add some youth and speed to their line up in the offseason as they are not really sitting on a top prospect or anything, as you'd expect given their trajectory. 

Rangers-Florida could be quite a series if it happens.