2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

I will never be a fan of a system that gifts the worst teams (many of them becoming so intentionally) the best odds at the top talent.  IMO I think all teams that miss the playoffs should have an equall chance at the nr.1 pick!

• Like 1

Here's how I see the first nine picks playing out.

1. SJ- Macklin Celebrini

2. CHI- Ivan Demidov

3. ANA- Artyom Levshunov

4. CBJ- Anton Silayev

5. MTL- Cayden Lindstrom

6. Utah- Tij Iginla

7- Ottawa- Zayne Parekh

8. Seattle- Sam Dickinson

The Flames are going to get a good player here. I'm torn between Buium or Catton. It would really come down to the Flames projection of Catton at the next level. Do they believe that at his size, he can be an NHL centre? If the Flames view him as a winger, you take Buium.

Not for nothing, but I think the Flames could get Buium out of school, as soon as this summer. He won a National Championship with Denver, his brother just went pro with the Wings. All he has to do is take a look at the Flames LD depth. Not that hard to see an early path to playing time. 

48 minutes ago, manu12 said:

I will never be a fan of a system that gifts the worst teams (many of them becoming so intentionally) the best odds at the top talent.  IMO I think all teams that miss the playoffs should have an equall chance at the nr.1 pick!

For sures.  Tanking was the big winner of the lottery today.

59 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

1. SJ- Macklin Celebrini

2. CHI- Ivan Demidov

3. ANA- Artyom Levshunov

4. CBJ- Anton Silayev

5. MTL- Cayden Lindstrom

6. Utah- Tij Iginla

7- Ottawa- Zayne Parekh

The Flames are going to get a good player here. I'm torn between Buium or Catton. It would really come down to the Flames projection of Catton at the next level. Do they believe that at his size, he can be an NHL centre? If the Flames view him as a winger, you take Buium.

Not for nothing, but I think the Flames could get Buium out of school, as soon as this summer. He won a National Championship with Denver, his brother just went pro with the Wings. All he has to do is take a look at the Flames LD depth. Not that hard to see an early path to playing time. 

Utah takes Tij? 

I hope your wrong and we get him at 9 or trade up if need be…

Tij is 100% the guy we need, Ctr which also checks an huge area for us too.

31 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Utah takes Tij? 

I hope your wrong and we get him at 9 or trade up if need be…

Tij is 100% the guy we need, Ctr which also checks an huge area for us too.

Tij plays Wing though.  But I suppose we can move him to Center since he's a good enough skater but I think the offense will drop significantly if we do so.

Chances are, if he's there at 9, that means Buium and Dickinson have been taken.  If he's already taken, then that means one of Buium or Dickinson fell to us.  Either way, it's a good spot to be drafting.

I think Iginla is strictly a winger. If you're into faceoff stats, he won 48 faceoffs this year.

Coincidentally, he played more centre last season with Seattle. Yes, he was a rookie in the Dub, but there was very little production. He took off as a LW

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

1. SJ- Macklin Celebrini

2. CHI- Ivan Demidov

3. ANA- Artyom Levshunov

4. CBJ- Anton Silayev

5. MTL- Cayden Lindstrom

6. Utah- Tij Iginla

7- Ottawa- Zayne Parekh

Catton might be a good player but the Flames are expected to be bad for several years.  Every draft there are undersized skilled forwards like Catton.  So I wouldn't bother with him this year.  Helenius, a bit bigger, and RHS is more attractive.

I think the Flames need to take a wider view of their retool and strategize the next few drafts.  Take D first.  Forwards will come in 2025, 26, and 27

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

For sures.  Tanking was the big winner of the lottery today.

Honest question, if you were GM of the Sharks.  What moves would you have done to avoid being in the basement?  Consider holes throughout the lineup, plenty of bad contracts, horrible depth and the only real assets that would get anything are this year’s picks and Will Smith.

9 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Honest question, if you were GM of the Sharks.  What moves would you have done to avoid being in the basement?  Consider holes throughout the lineup, plenty of bad contracts, horrible depth and the only real assets that would get anything are this year’s picks and Will Smith.

Do not trade either Hertl or Karlsson, to start.

8 minutes ago, cberg said:

Do not trade either Hertl or Karlsson, to start.

Hertl was hurt so wouldn't have won them more games, not that hew was winning them games from October to the TDL, and the team was awful with Karlsson for the last few years, not like he pushed Pittsburgh over the edge.

17 minutes ago, sak22 said:

This can't be a serious question.

Obviously their core aged and the next wave of kids aren't hitting prime yet.  While there is almost nothing they could've done to make the playoffs, there's always something they could've done to avoid being the absolute worst team in the NHL. 

In terms of their future, they have to just wait it out to be a playoff team again.  Real question is, should the NHL reward them with the top pick or make them rebuild in an unweighted draft lottery environment?

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

This can't be a serious question.

Obviously their core aged and the next wave of kids aren't hitting prime yet.  While there is almost nothing they could've done to make the playoffs, there's always something they could've done to avoid being the absolute worst team in the NHL. 

In terms of their future, they have to just wait it out to be a playoff team again.  Real question is, should the NHL reward them with the top pick or make them rebuild in an unweighted draft lottery environment?

What?  Honestly, it is a serious question because you make it sound so easy but provide nothing.  One of the worst free agent classes and nobody does hockey trades anymore.  Look at Chicago, they made moves last summer how did it play out?  Hall played 10 games and Perry got terminated, but when they trade Beauvillier at the deadline (who they acquired during the year) it is called a tank job.  I didn't see a path for the Sharks getting out of the basement without trading the only good young assets they had and no guarantees that helps that team was so bad.  

Ummm so can every team not be last place in the league? What does it take to make every team make the playoffs, make every team not last place in the league in the same year? 

That's not possible.... there has to be some teams not making the playoffs, some teams in the very bottom. Its unavoidable.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Ummm so can every team not be last place in the league? What does it take to make every team make the playoffs, make every team not last place in the league in the same year? 

That's not possible.... there has to be some teams not making the playoffs, some teams in the very bottom. Its unavoidable.

5 rounds.  believe you me, those mathematical geniuses will be thinking about it.

23 minutes ago, sak22 said:

What?  Honestly, it is a serious question because you make it sound so easy but provide nothing.  One of the worst free agent classes and nobody does hockey trades anymore.  Look at Chicago, they made moves last summer how did it play out?  Hall played 10 games and Perry got terminated, but when they trade Beauvillier at the deadline (who they acquired during the year) it is called a tank job.  I didn't see a path for the Sharks getting out of the basement without trading the only good young assets they had and no guarantees that helps that team was so bad.  

Think about the question the other way around.  Did you see any moves made by SJ's GM to win down the stretch?  Would lotto odds have played a role in not trying to win immediately?  Would an unweighted lottery have encouraged more of an effort to win down the stretch?  And also CHI and ANA... Would an unweighted lotto have encouraged them to try harder too?  Instead, those three teams salivating at today's lottery.

17 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Think about the question the other way around.  Did you see any moves made by SJ's GM to win down the stretch?  Would lotto odds have played a role in not trying to win immediately?  Would an unweighted lottery have encouraged more of an effort to win down the stretch?  And also CHI and ANA... Would an unweighted lotto have encouraged them to try harder too?  Instead, those three teams salivating at today's lottery.

it's tough man.   tough sell.   

there's a start though, where they limit how many 1st overalls you can have.    Maybe build on that a bit more.

Also, push out the draft age.   Part of the problem is the most poorly managed teams end up in the bottom for way longer than they should.  if the draft age were pushed out it would be harder for them to screw up so bad lol

p.s...careful what you wish for because our turn could be coming 

20 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

They traded Klim Kostin for Radim Simek at the deadline, Simek was a minor leaguer, but that was an upgrade of some sort.   What do you expect them to compete with buyers? its idiotic to be a fringe playoff team and spend picks at the deadline, doing something like that only keeps the poor poorer.  They only traded Duclair at the deadline (Okhotiuk wasn't an everyday player and Hertl wasn't going to help down the stretch), butdon't pretend that the Sharks were better off with Duclair, but do you think teams are going to give them something to help now?  I think the idea of getting a 1st for Markstrom or top 10 for Andersson are nutty ideas, the fact you thought that crap team could do something to try make them not as crappy at the deadline is bonkers.  Try is bolded because as we all should know by now, not all transactions that look good on paper wind up good moves.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

Where would the flames be if we didn't have Markstrom for most of the year?

So correct Without Markstrom this year no Flame fan would be advocating for an equal 16 team lottery representation. 

• Like 1

Teams at the bottom also trade for picks to get more picks, and I felt we saw Chicago try a lot, they beat the Flames a bunch the last few years... 

we want to trade everyone away. Then we complain that the bad teams do it. We want to trade them all away so we get more draft picks and possibly high ones.

Thats why teams trade away picks because when all those picks you just got mature, maybe a decent team is built. 

Just now, redfire11 said:

So correct Without Markstrom this year no Flame fan would be advocating for an equal 16 team lottery representation. 

yup, and if we lose the lotto it is fixed... ask Detroit and Vancouver how that feels.

17 minutes ago, sak22 said:

They traded Klim Kostin for Radim Simek at the deadline, Simek was a minor leaguer, but that was an upgrade of some sort.   What do you expect them to compete with buyers? its idiotic to be a fringe playoff team and spend picks at the deadline, doing something like that only keeps the poor poorer.  They only traded Duclair at the deadline (Okhotiuk wasn't an everyday player and Hertl wasn't going to help down the stretch), butdon't pretend that the Sharks were better off with Duclair, but do you think teams are going to give them something to help now?  I think the idea of getting a 1st for Markstrom or top 10 for Andersson are nutty ideas, the fact you thought that crap team could do something to try make them not as crappy at the deadline is bonkers.  Try is bolded because as we all should know by now, not all transactions that look good on paper wind up good moves.

I'm not saying "trying" would mean they actually win but did they even try?

If it was an unweighted lottery instead of guaranteed top 4 pick, would that have changed the Shark's GM's effort?  Again, not saying anything they do would have worked or changed the outcome, but would it have encouraged a better attempt at winning?

20 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I'm not saying "trying" would mean they actually win but did they even try?

If it was an unweighted lottery instead of guaranteed top 4 pick, would that have changed the Shark's GM's effort?  Again, not saying anything they do would have worked or changed the outcome, but would it have encouraged a better attempt at winning?

Well its actually a system where the odds of the worst team winning are worse than they were 15 years ago, but also a system that has punished 2 of the worst teams in the cap era the 2017 Avs and 2020 Wings who both picked 4th, people forget about the Avs because they still wound up with the best player at 4 and Mackinnon and Rantanen became 2 of the best in the league after that season, but again how does one try without sacrificing the future?  There are no real hockey moves to be made when you don't have a surplus to give to fix a need because every position is a need.  All it comes off to me is envy, no way if a system like that existed would've people been happy losing Tanev, Lindholm, and Hanifin for nothing just to improve lottery odds.  When the Flames ultimately bottom out, nobody complaining now will be upset at the process if it works in our favor.

29 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Well its actually a system where the odds of the worst team winning are worse than they were 15 years ago, but also a system that has punished 2 of the worst teams in the cap era the 2017 Avs and 2020 Wings who both picked 4th, people forget about the Avs because they still wound up with the best player at 4 and Mackinnon and Rantanen became 2 of the best in the league after that season, but again how does one try without sacrificing the future?  There are no real hockey moves to be made when you don't have a surplus to give to fix a need because every position is a need.  All it comes off to me is envy, no way if a system like that existed would've people been happy losing Tanev, Lindholm, and Hanifin for nothing just to improve lottery odds.  When the Flames ultimately bottom out, nobody complaining now will be upset at the process if it works in our favor.

To your point. Why are most of us saying trade all the guys we traded plus ones we didn't yet? Sure a major reason is drafting higher, but also because we need more draft picks to get better and improving odds that one or more of the picks gained and drafted turns into a good player. 

There are multiple reasons to trade away vets. Anyone traded for them are going for a cup so the draft pick gained means it might be a later pick anyway. A part of that trade off is possibly winning the lottery. They go hand in hand.