2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

2 hours ago, Otown72 said:

Flames are set to draft 9th most likely after Ott loss today. Assuming they lose to Van as well

With the 8th overall pick in 2024 draft the Seattle Kraken select from the....

No don't do it😄

Of course it will be SEA 8, NJD 9, and CGY 10... and then NJD sticks it to us for the Markstrom TDL fiasco.

32 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Good thing BUF won.  So it's a 3-horse race for 8-10.  SEA, CGY, and NJD.

I believe NJ wins the tiebreaker.

Cgy needs to lose tomorrow.  🙏 😄

11 hours ago, Otown72 said:

I believe NJ wins the tiebreaker.

Cgy needs to lose tomorrow.  🙏 😄

At best we can only win one, but that makes Seattle needing to win out.

They got Mercer because they were just a little worse than us.

Time for us to pick up the better player in this draft.

If NJ ended up 8th last, they would win the otto.

If it's us, nobody behind us wins, nor do we.

Crazy to think that we started the game against ARI where they would have tied us and only needed a single point to pass us.  But we won, so they remain where they are.

47 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

At best we can only win one, but that makes Seattle needing to win out.

They got Mercer because they were just a little worse than us.

Time for us to pick up the better player in this draft.

If NJ ended up 8th last, they would win the otto.

If it's us, nobody behind us wins, nor do we.

Crazy to think that we started the game against ARI where they would have tied us and only needed a single point to pass us.  But we won, so they remain where they are.

That 4-point game sealed our fate for the draft.  If only Conroy didn't trade for Kuzmenko we would be drafting Dickinson at 5.  Instead, it's Tij at 9/10.

25 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

That 4-point game sealed our fate for the draft.  If only Conroy didn't trade for Kuzmenko we would be drafting Dickinson at 5.  Instead, it's Tij at 9/10.

If he keeps making trades like that, we won't need a rebuild lol.

But if he's smart, he'll keep making trades that make the rebuild better and more effective.

Next Bobby Orr hails from Calgary, and is in the 2027 draft.     We either need to be really bad by then or have traded for a lot of first-round picks by then lol

I was mad he didn't trade Markstrom.  But in hindsight, had he traded Markstrom I don't think we'd have a top-10 pick this year.   It's possible that he's smart.

If he drafts equally well, he can make up for the difference between 8 and 10.  Not ideal, but he can.  Dickinson is more a high floor than a high ceiling.   It doesn't worry me because I want high ceiling.

Tij is a high ceiling.    A few others there are too.   It doesn't bother me as much about the position because...well...

If Conroy can make sensible trades, it will all work out.   We need come out of drafts with asset value.  You figure the position stuff out after.

40 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Yeah and he took a cap dump and possibly turned him into a tradeable asset.  People make it seem like there is destined to be a significant drop off from one to another and it seems no matter where the Flames are that is one above the cutoff.  People feared picking 16th and 15 was the last good player, then it looked like 12 and it was 11, then it was 8 and 7 was it.  I think its crazy to suggest one player has shifted the team from drafting 5 vs. 10, pretty unrealistic to think the team was going to lose out. 

At the deadline the Flames were 13 points up on Ottawa for 5th last and were tied with Washington, St. Louis, Seattle, and Minnesota, and ahead of New Jersey, Pittsburgh and Buffalo.  In 18 games the Flames got 12 points, that's pretty bad a stretch that over 82 is in the running for worst in the league.  And out of those teams St. Louis 11-5-3, Washington 10-8-2, Seattle 5-10-2, Minnesota 9-6-2, NJ 7-11-1, Pittsburgh 10-6-4, and Buffalo 10-7-2.  Meanwhile teams that were down at the deadline Montreal 9 pts, Arizona 10 pts, and Ottawa 13 pts.  Montreal got to within 4 at the moment and only went 6-7-5, Arizona went 9-8 and only Ottawa went with an impressive 11-9 which is still not that great of a stretch.  And don't forget while Kuzmenko has put up points lately he still had 2 2 goal games against St. Louis and Anaheim that were losses, a 2 point game against Edmonton that was a loss.  But sure lets blame that hat trick against Anaheim where the Ducks were absolutely brutal through 2.  We can't blame Connor Ingram for gifting Kadri the tying goal on Sunday, we must blame Kadri for putting the puck on net.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Yeah and he took a cap dump and possibly turned him into a tradeable asset.  People make it seem like there is destined to be a significant drop off from one to another and it seems no matter where the Flames are that is one above the cutoff.  People feared picking 16th and 15 was the last good player, then it looked like 12 and it was 11, then it was 8 and 7 was it.  I think its crazy to suggest one player has shifted the team from drafting 5 vs. 10, pretty unrealistic to think the team was going to lose out. 

At the deadline the Flames were 13 points up on Ottawa for 5th last and were tied with Washington, St. Louis, Seattle, and Minnesota, and ahead of New Jersey, Pittsburgh and Buffalo.  In 18 games the Flames got 12 points, that's pretty bad a stretch that over 82 is in the running for worst in the league.  And out of those teams St. Louis 11-5-3, Washington 10-8-2, Seattle 5-10-2, Minnesota 9-6-2, NJ 7-11-1, Pittsburgh 10-6-4, and Buffalo 10-7-2.  Meanwhile teams that were down at the deadline Montreal 9 pts, Arizona 10 pts, and Ottawa 13 pts.  Montreal got to within 4 at the moment and only went 6-7-5, Arizona went 9-8 and only Ottawa went with an impressive 11-9 which is still not that great of a stretch.  And don't forget while Kuzmenko has put up points lately he still had 2 2 goal games against St. Louis and Anaheim that were losses, a 2 point game against Edmonton that was a loss.  But sure lets blame that hat trick against Anaheim where the Ducks were absolutely brutal through 2.  We can't blame Connor Ingram for gifting Kadri the tying goal on Sunday, we must blame Kadri for putting the puck on net.  

Tres funny.

I am amazed that we managed to lose as many as we did.  Had we traded Markstrom, we might have been closer to 16th overall.  The team on a whole gave up after TDL.  Markstrom checked out a bit.  The F didn't want to block shot for the most part.  They got called out and they also rallied in front of Wolf to help him get a victory.

I'm one of the few thinking we need to keep Kuzmenko.  He's basically a rookie in the NHL.  His skill level is off the chart.  He doesn't do everything well, but sometimes you have to pick and choose your team.  Not everyone has to be a two way player.  Chip in, but don't ruin the player.  

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Well we rarely surprised any team after TDL.  We beat teams that played like crap.  We never should have been battling back against Zona and ANA, but they got hot early and could have won.  I thiknk we lead the NHL in 3r period comebacks, so it had to be a low scoring game for us to lose.  I don't even know what that game was against Zona.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Called up Klapka for the final two games.  Kuzmenko should rest the remainder of the season.  He deserves a break after all his hard work last week.

With everything going on in Russia, surely he needs a mental health leave for a few days.

5 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

https://media.d3.nhle.com/image/private/t_document/prd/c3nbujnzqcpodambs8ux.pdf

Final central scouting rankings.

Silayev ranked first amongst international skaters.

Interesting.  I can see the appeal of Silayev.  He's playing against men already in the KHL at 17.  He jumps in on the rush a lot and is fast enough to come back on D.  We shouldn't be surprised if he goes #2 overall to be honest.

I'm also not too surprised Dickinson is ranked #7 for NA... he's "raw"... one of these code words for "he has all the tools but doesn't have the tool box".  Buium ranked #4 is smarter and more finesse.  Less brute force.  

Trevor Connelly ranked at #6 ahead of Dickinson, Catton, Eiserman, and Iginla... who?  Is he that good?

1 minute ago, jjgallow said:

With everything going on in Russia, surely he needs a mental health leave for a few days.

Ya Kuz, we playing your old team the Vancouver Canucks but you know what bud, Klapka's got it tonight.  Why don't you take your family out to White Rock and do some crabbing today and come catch up with the rest of the team at the airport after the game?

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

Ya Kuz, we playing your old team the Vancouver Canucks but you know what bud, Klapka's got it tonight.  Why don't you take your family out to White Rock and do some crabbing today and come catch up with the rest of the team at the airport after the game?

Do it Conroy

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Interesting.  I can see the appeal of Silayev.  He's playing against men already in the KHL at 17.  He jumps in on the rush a lot and is fast enough to come back on D.  We shouldn't be surprised if he goes #2 overall to be honest.

I'm also not too surprised Dickinson is ranked #7 for NA... he's "raw"... one of these code words for "he has all the tools but doesn't have the tool box".  Buium ranked #4 is smarter and more finesse.  Less brute force.  

Trevor Connelly ranked at #6 ahead of Dickinson, Catton, Eiserman, and Iginla... who?  Is he that good?

Trevor Connelly is really skilled.

There are some off-ice concerns

https://thehockeynews.com/news/nhl-scouts-face-dilemma-with-2024-draft-prospect-trevor-connelly

The Flames are coming off of bad situations with Ronni and Dube. If I was ownership, I would be telling my hockey-ops, they better do their due diligence. It’s possible that Connelly made a mistake, as kids do. Not sure if I would take him though. I’d want the player to be squeaky clean, if I were ownership.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Trevor Connelly is really skilled.

There are some off-ice concerns

https://thehockeynews.com/news/nhl-scouts-face-dilemma-with-2024-draft-prospect-trevor-connelly

The Flames are coming off of bad situations with Ronni and Dube. If I was ownership, I would be telling my hockey-ops, they better do their due diligence. It’s possible that Connelly made a mistake, as kids do. Not sure if I would take him though. I’d want the player to be squeaky clean, if I were ownership.

tough call, it looks like he's done a lot to try and do better, which I find admirable. 

how many of us grew up saying,"that's so ---?" Or used the "N" word. We do learn from those if we are able to understand that sometimes these things hurt. So, I'd do a whole bunch of research on whether he's done what it takes to make up for it. So far from that article it feels like he's moving in the right direction...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I didn't catch who wins the tie breaker. Are the Flames guaranteed the 9th place odds in the lotto? Or can they leap NJD still? 

if they hire a private investigator to spy on them, then yes.