2023/24 Roster/Lines

conundrumed

26 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

The tough part with losing Ruzicka is the lack of center depth, especially when they finally move Lindholm.

This exactly. Not sure if Zary is ready or if should stay on the wing.

Maybe Calgary trades for Monahan😂

53 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

The tough part with losing Ruzicka is the lack of center depth, especially when they finally move Lindholm.

Combine with losing Dube, we had taken a hit.

Zary doesn't replace either guy, since he's not a 4th liner.

I would have preferred they bring up MEP to play with Schwindt.

At least until Pelletier is back.

Then we can figure out the lines.

6 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

NJ lost Cal Foote RSD to leave, likely due to the world juniors with nothing really in the pipeline. Most AHL D are on AHL contracts. DeSimone is cheap RSD for them as a stopgap.

Trade them Markstrom and Hanifin. :)

Macleod, a C was their other loss. Hanifin / Lindholm maybe? But who in return? Need to bring back cap, so maybe Meier (underperforming his contract) and Mercer as a young piece coming back (RFA after the season) add in a draft pick for Calgary to retain salary to make it work. Not sure there is really anyone else we would really want.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bosn111 said:

Macleod, a C was their other loss. Hanifin / Lindholm maybe? But who in return? Need to bring back cap, so maybe Meier (underperforming his contract) and Mercer as a young piece coming back (RFA after the season) add in a draft pick for Calgary to retain salary to make it work. Not sure there is really anyone else we would really want.

Meier wouldn't make sense, since we would be missing the C.

I like the player, just we would need a C to match him.

I would do Sieganthaler + mercer for Hanifin, but I doubt they would.

Sieg is injured but has no trade protection.

We would suffer until he was back, but he's young and signed for years.

TD, Mercer is the C coming back. Meier was the monetary piece for cap space. Meier makes it easier to move Mangiapane / upgrade on Dube. 

The idea of a future line of Pelletier, Mercer, Coronato intrigues me.

Huberdeau has Sharangovich to snipe for him, just need to figure out their C.

Meier is expensive for third line but Meier, Backlund, Zary could be a thing of beauty. 

On D, it remains to be seen if Kylington can return to form and be consistent. If he can, then the loss of Hanifin is lessened. DeSimone was interchangeable with Gilbert and Osterle anyways. With both Solovyov and Kuznetsov getting call ups this year and looking reasonable in limited viewing, Gil’s and Oester likely expendable as well.

So D with this proposal would be 

Weegar Anderson 

Kylington Tanev

Solovyov Osterle (not ideal, but gets Solo some experience). 

1 hour ago, bosn111 said:

TD, Mercer is the C coming back. Meier was the monetary piece for cap space. Meier makes it easier to move Mangiapane / upgrade on Dube. 

Meier is expensive for third line but Meier, Backlund, Zary could be a thing of beauty. 

On D, it remains to be seen if Kylington can return to form and be consistent. If he can, then the loss of Hanifin is lessened. DeSimone was interchangeable with Gilbert and Osterle anyways. With both Solovyov and Kuznetsov getting call ups this year and looking reasonable in limited viewing, Gil’s and Oester likely expendable as well.

Weegar Anderson 

Kylington Tanev

So, you are saying both Hanifin and Lindholm for Mercer and Meier.

We lose a top C and a top pairing D and get neither back.

Mercer is a strong piece to get back no doubt.

I think Meier is someone they are committed to, since they signed the big deal with him.

I would separate Hanifin and Lindholm deals.

Hanifin gets you a C (and an injured D), while you could trade Lindholm for a good young D.

That's sort of the way trades work out, where one team has excess in one area.

With your suggested pairs, we have a often injured Tanev re-signed to help Kyl.

15 hours ago, bosn111 said:

That's a big no for me if we are holding on to Huberdeau, might as well take Dubois off LA's hands as well.

5 hours ago, bosn111 said:

Weegar Anderson 

Kylington Tanev

Did you trade Kadri and Coleman, Lindholm and Hanifin?

I think, for the last 20 games of the season, start to see what they have in Zary at C. Play him there every game, and play him with a Huberdeau and Sharingovich or something like that. Sharingovich wants to push play, and I think it was @conundrumed that said he ended up having to slow his pace down to the Flames pace. Can Zary push the pace up the ice as a guy at C?  He is a guy who has the ability to create space, so the possibility is there?

Running off some of your ideas and mine, not in any particular order?

Pelletier, Mercer, Coronato

Huberdeau, Zary, Sharingovich

Meier, Backlund, Coleman

Ok so with Lindholm gone and another winger added to the mix…what’s are forward lines looking like, sound like Kuzmenko

could be the top line RW, move Shar to Ctr with Huby? 

or is there a better fit on another line?

im not sure moving Kadri from Zary is wise just yet, next year maybe but not this year.

1 hour ago, MP5029 said:

Ok so with Lindholm gone and another winger added to the mix…what’s are forward lines looking like, sound like Kuzmenko

could be the top line RW, move Shar to Ctr with Huby? 

or is there a better fit on another line?

im not sure moving Kadri from Zary is wise just yet, next year maybe but not this year.

No idea, but then again are we done right now?

Possible that one or more deals are made in the next week.

The C position is more of concern right now for the faceoff ability.

We lost Dube, Ruzicka and Lindholm.

Kadri is the top C right now, but I don't think you disrupt that line.

Pospisil is ready to go.

I would adjust based on the first line.

Hubey-Sharky-Kuz

Zary-Kadri-Pospisil

Backlund line

4th line

It does beg the question about getting a faceoff stud.

Use them for faceoffs then switch them up.

Eller types.

You could target a decent offensive C in a Hanifin trade.

Even with Tkachuk and Gaudreau, the C was not a play driver.

With them gone, we have nobody other than Sharky.

And Sharky is more of a finisher.

Exactly my point, when Monahan was out it was very noticeable, he was and still is a FO stud and winning F/O make a huge difference…after Monahan, Lindhom was the guy, not quite as good but definitely far better than Kadri or Backlund (granted Backlund on a 3rd line is respectable but not good enough for a 1st or 2nd line Ctr…and Kadri well I’d rather see him as a winger he’s F/O’s are just horrible 

I’m in no advocating to get Monahan, what’s done is done…moving forward.

i don’t think Sharks is a solid Ctr, particularly at the F/O area, though that’s kinda hard to tell cause he’s been at a very limited sample Size at Ctr.  Having said that, I could see some chemistry with

Hubie/Shar/Kuz

Kuz drives the play and he can score so, in theory he and Shar could mix very well with Hubie, who only starting getting some pts when Shar was placed on that line…Kuz is kinda in a similar mold, but can’t shake the concern of them being a very bad F/O line and having to chase the puck down too much.

Conroy was on the fan this morning and something I found interesting is when they brought up who is going to play center he listed off several players but Zary wasn't one of them. Now he did say they were willing to try a lot but he listed of Schwindt, Rooney coming back even that Posposil has played center in the past.  But no mention of Zary. 

Now i'm not going to hold someone's feet to the fire based on a radio hit but I found it interested becasue the Flames were not intentional about getting Zary to play center in the A and now he wasn't the first thought of the GM when there is an opening. Seems like confirmation to me that they don't see Zary as a center at the NHL level. 

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Conroy was on the fan this morning and something I found interesting is when they brought up who is going to play center he listed off several players but Zary wasn't one of them. Now he did say they were willing to try a lot but he listed of Schwindt, Rooney coming back even that Posposil has played center in the past.  But no mention of Zary. 

Now i'm not going to hold someone's feet to the fire based on a radio hit but I found it interested becasue the Flames were not intentional about getting Zary to play center in the A and now he wasn't the first thought of the GM when there is an opening. Seems like confirmation to me that they don't see Zary as a center at the NHL level. 

I think they look at him as the perfect fit for Kadri.  If so, that's fine for now.

I think Sharky might be the best alternative today.

I don't want to see Rooney at all.

Funny how 7 are listed as C on the Roster yet we are struggling to fiind for the top line.

Rooney 4th line only.

Schwindt does not look NHL to me in his short showing.

I'd agree that Sharangovich seems the best bet.

Also need someone to step up on the PK which is now a lot weaker.

1 hour ago, rocketdoctor said:

Funny how 7 are listed as C on the Roster yet we are struggling to fiind for the top line.

Rooney 4th line only.

Schwindt does not look NHL to me in his short showing.

I'd agree that Sharangovich seems the best bet.

Also need someone to step up on the PK which is now a lot weaker.

We lost Dube and Lindholm, though Dube was not that good when paired with Mange.

I think Pospisil could be useful there.

19 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Julien Gauthier is on waivers today, I am not a huge fan of Gauthier, but with Greer goin down with an injury for awhile Gauthier might be worth a claim as a 4th line replacement.

As a throw away asset yes, but a RHS RW is not our greatest need for the 4th line.

He's better than Duehr, Klapka and Schwindt, but I'm not sure that says much.

I would like to see Pettersen over Duehr if we are keeping Schwindt and Klapka up.

Does a claim now drop us in waiver order to 32?

If so, I would hold off for better.

22 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Julien Gauthier is on waivers today, I am not a huge fan of Gauthier, but with Greer goin down with an injury for awhile Gauthier might be worth a claim as a 4th line replacement.

Actually..just tossing this out there ...a retooling team alway plugs holes with capable players..  low risk high reward players who serve a purpose ..

Phil Kessel is looking for a place to play.. we need a center .. he's known as a great teammate ..could teach these kids good habits ..could probabaly get him on a cheap rest of season deal too ... Could. Do worse 

2 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

And is it just me or did the realistic trades thread just recently just vanish ? I could swear it was there yesterday 

Same here. I asked what happened in the Kuzmenko thread myself. Guessing it got accidentally deleted? 🤷🏻‍♂️ Could we start another?