Daryl Sutter and Flames

sportbuzzard

5 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I dunno how reputable the source is but apparently Edwards wants to sell:

https://insidetherink.com/report-the-flames-owner-is-done-and-wants-out/

haven't seen anything else on possibility to sell so it is probably fake news?

i wouldn’t put any stock in it. I read it and it feels very fake news/click bait. He’s going to sell to a local hockey hero essentially? Someone wrote that to appease the people who want this to happen. 

I actually wouldn’t be shocked if Edwards wants out at some point but I think until the arena gets built it wouldn’t make sense to sell the team. 

4 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

I dunno if it means anything but do any of the locals know the credibility of this Jake Hughes that apparently has an inside track over the more mainstream sources?

Also the website itself was broken and set off a bunch of my browsers anti trackers.

I'm re-posting this in the unconditional positivity thread lol, great find

On 4/30/2023 at 2:26 AM, conundrumed said:

At 56:45 in this clip. Vancouver blog show akin to Boomer & Warrener.

https://www.sekeresandprice.com/april-26-2023-darren-dreger-jim-mullin/

I am in complete agreement re THW, total hacks. I was more hoping to shoot down the source.

I had tracked this before tmac brought it up. Instantly thought of Kadri whether or not that is fair.

But yeah. And it's equally important to hold the wonderful hockey reporters accountable for the Satoshi Nakamoto they spout off.

I do love the, "thought there was going to be change" line.lol

Yeah, last offseason was astronomical change.

I'm all for turning all of this negative crap around.

The owner sucks, Sutter sucks, the new guys suck, everybody sucks. I get it.

But nothing sucks like being mired in negativity. Nothing is ever as bad as it appears, we just pretend it is.

What gets troubling for me is, it's fine to hear through sources that the players hate Sutter but it's not fine if it happens to the players.  I will agree Sutter had his head-scratching moments, but so did the players.  This toxic environment isn't just a coach, it is a collective thing in the organization. Strange we never heard a peep last season about Toxixcity till Kadri, and I am not blaming him solely either, however, there seems to be a pattern with him. Kadri is a very poor example of a leader in my opinion. Just cause he has a big mouth doesn't make him a leader.

What needs to happen is a collective long look in the mirror and change the one thing everyone has control over and that YOURSELF.  IMHO in those exit meetings that's the first question I would ask, is what were your thoughts on why we never got to the postseason? If the directive was to point fingers instantly at the coach, then YOU are the problem. Great players, great leaders, and winners bear responsibility on themselves lead, by example and take responsibility they don't blame others. 

Sutter is a good coach and the track record shows that. He just wasn’t the right coach for this team. I think this is the right move. I was worried it wouldn’t happen to be honest. 

Mitch Love has to be near the top of the list of replacement candidates. Huska should be considered too, but going from assistant/associate coach to head coach on the same team is a tough transition.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

So TSN's local guy is posting the googly eyes like Ryan Leslie did to get clicks, LOL.

Nothing there to talk about, just implying something is happening.

It's too funny that "insiders" have resorted to using two eyes as the hint of something big happening.  Yesterday, there was a source that said the Flames was going in a different direction with coaching.  I wasn't going to bother posting it, since it didn't really get picked up.  Said they were buying out the two years, so that implied a mutual decision.

On the announcement, I am all for it.  It was a mistake to re-sign him before we had a good understanding of the future of the team, with the new players etc.  Perhaps that is why BT got the new guys inked before the season started, like he knoew there might be some struggles with the head coach and playing on their new team.

We have to establish what this team is.  The culture that Sutter brought was good, but perhaps not one that could compete 82 games plus playoffs.

I'm not surprised. He is not to blame for last season at all. I don't think he did a good job but he wasn't the main reason they missed the playoffs and the players have to wear a lot of it. 

But when you constantly hear the stories about how negative and toxic the environment is, you can't keep your coach. this isn't even just players it's staff that apparently had a problem with Sutter. 

You just cannot in today's game, treat young players the way he treated them. 

for those 2 reasons he had to go. Just a brutal decision they made to extend him. You can only hope that they learn from this experience. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I'm not surprised. He is not to blame for last season at all. I don't think he did a good job but he wasn't the main reason they missed the playoffs and the players have to wear a lot of it. 

But when you constantly hear the stories about how negative and toxic the environment is, you can't keep your coach. this isn't even just players it's staff that apparently had a problem with Sutter. 

You just cannot in today's game, treat young players the way he treated them. 

for those 2 reasons he had to go. Just a brutal decision they made to extend him. You can only hope that they learn from this experience. 

To be fair, the first year back he seemed like a different coach, this year everything seemed to change completely. When he first came back it seemed like he had learned from other years and seemed to have better communication with the players. This year he went back to old school mind games and that doesn’t work anymore.

He was two completely different coaches in those two seasons, and that was almost the most surprising part.

17 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

To be fair, the first year back he seemed like a different coach, this year everything seemed to change completely. When he first came back it seemed like he had learned from other years and seemed to have better communication with the players. This year he went back to old school mind games and that doesn’t work anymore.

He was two completely different coaches in those two seasons, and that was almost the most surprising part.

I'm not as surprised. I think Sutter's strength is setting a clear understanding of how a team is going to play, how it's going to win, assign each player a role within that system and the establish the right standard of which to get to. This works really well when expectations are lower because he won't grill you for mistakes, he won't overcoach, he just expects you to do what he says or you won't play. When expectations rise he pushes harder because now mistakes are not as tolerated. I think it's compounded by the fact that he once those expectations are raised he stops trusting young players and will lean into his bias more. Now a lot of coaches will do this but what hurts Sutter is his bias (not trusting young players) is really counter to the direction the league has gone. 

This has happened wherever he's gone. It happened in LA too the main difference as his team in LA was tailored made to play his system so they kept winning despite the atmosphere (which has confirmed by multiple players on that LA team). 

7 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I'm not as surprised. I think Sutter's strength is setting a clear understanding of how a team is going to play, how it's going to win, assign each player a role within that system and the establish the right standard of which to get to. This works really well when expectations are lower because he won't grill you for mistakes, he won't overcoach, he just expects you to do what he says or you won't play. When expectations rise he pushes harder because now mistakes are not as tolerated. I think it's compounded by the fact that he once those expectations are raised he stops trusting young players and will lean into his bias more. Now a lot of coaches will do this but what hurts Sutter is his bias (not trusting young players) is really counter to the direction the league has gone. 

This has happened wherever he's gone. It happened in LA too the main difference as his team in LA was tailored made to play his system so they kept winning despite the atmosphere (which has confirmed by multiple players on that LA team). 

The bolded section is what I am keying in on.  When expectations raise, there is little tolerance for achieving less.  It's not even mistakes, it's results.  Don't score on the PP in a close game, the coach goes on about it.  Not scoring when you are 40+ shots in a game, not a long of forgiveness from the coach.  Talking down to the players because they aren't getting to the 2 feet in front of the net to score goals, because we aren't skilled, seems too old school.

Anyway, I'm not going to go on about Sutter.  He is gone.  The replacement needs to fix this team.

I will admit I was wrong about Maloney. I was at first disappointed to hear about his promotion but the more he talks the more I think they did the right thing there.  He's handled himself really well in front of the media, he seems to be going about things the right way and I like a lot of his answers around where they ae going, what he thinks they need etc. 

Talked about needing to get younger, trusting younger players, getting feedback from players. Stickhandled some pretty pointed questions around Edwards and how he got to this process but handled it well. 

Just now, cross16 said:

I will admit I was wrong about Maloney. I was at first disappointed to hear about his promotion but the more he talks the more I think they did the right thing there.  He's handled himself really well in front of the media, he seems to be going about things the right way and I like a lot of his answers around where they ae going, what he thinks they need etc. 

He's already shown he's not a YES man.  That is good in my books.  

I was concerned about the Bean involvement in the presser when BT quit.